/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Playing chess and backgammon

Khalid Saifullah
05-19-2016, 01:48 PM
Imaam Abu Hanifah (rahmatullah alayh) narrated from Abdul Kareem that Rasulullah (sallallahu alayhi wasallam) said:
“ He who plays chess is as if he washes his hands with the flesh (blood) of a pig. ” (Kitaabul Aathaar)

In Vol. 1, page 483 of Al-Jaamius Sagheer, it is mentioned: “
It is unanimously Makrooh (i.e. Makrooh Tahrimi) to play backgammon because Rasulullah (sallallahu alayhi wasallam) said : “ Whoever plays nard (backgammon) is as if he has dyed his hands in the flesh and blood of a pig .”

According to the Ahnaaf (Hanafis), playing with chess is also Makrooh Tahrimi (sinful and prohibited).

Hadhrat Abu Hurairah (radhiyallahu anhu) narrated that once when Rasulullah (sallallahu alayhi wasallam) passed by a group of people playing shatranj (chess), he commented: “ Allah curses one who plays with this (i.e. chess) .”

In Badaaius Sanaa’i it is mentioned: “It is narrated from our Sayyid, Ali (radhiyallahu anhu) that he said: ‘ Shatranj (chess) is the gambling of the Ajamis (non-Arabs) .

It is narrated that Nabi (sallallahu alayhi wasallam) said: ‘Everything which diverts you from the thikr of Allah is gambling.”

The following appears in Sharh Fathul Qadeer: “According to us (i.e. Ahnaaf) chess is not permissible., and so is it according to Imaam Ahmad (Bin Hanbal). Verily it has been said that (the game of) nardasheer is in fact shatranj (chess).”

In Tabyeenul Haqaaiq it appears as follows: “ Playing with chess, backgammon and every sport is not permissible because Rasulullah (sallallahu alayhi wasallam) said : ‘ Every sport of man is haraam except three: a man’s play with his wife, his training his horse and practising with his bow.”

Once Ibn Umar (radhiyallahu anhu) passed by a group playing chess. He did not make Salaam to them, and he commented: ‘ What are these idols to which you are so devoted?’ “(It is prohibited also) because it generally prevents one from Jamaa’t Salaat and from the thikr of Allah Azza Wa Jal, hence it is haraam just like nardsheer (backgammon).

And about nard, Nabi (sallallahu alayhi wasallam) said: ‘ He who plays with nardsheer is as if he has dyed his hand in the flesh (blood) of a pig. ’ Muslim, Ahmad, Abu Daawood and Abu Musa narrated it.
Maalik, Ahmad and others besides them narrated: ‘Nabi (sallallahu alayhi wasallam) said: ‘ He who plays with backgammon , verily he has sinned against Allah and His Rasool. ’

Rejecting the conditional permissibility on the basis of benefit, which some Fuqaha have contended, it is mentioned in Tabyeenul Haqaaiq: “ With regard to its benefit which has been mentioned (by some), it is overshadowed. Consideration is for the dominant element in the matter of haraam. What, are you not aware of Allah’s statement (in the Qur’aan) : ‘ Their (i.e. liquor and gambing’s) sin is greater than their benefit. Thus, consideration has been accorded to the dominant element with regard to it being haraam……..Permitting it (chess) is in fact aiding shaitaan over Islam and the Muslimeen……..

It has been narrated that once Hadhrat Ali (radhiyallahu anhu) passed by a group playing chess. He did not make salaam. When he was asked for the reason, he said: ‘ How can I make salaam to people who are devoted to idols?’ It has also been narrated that Hadhrat Ali (radhiyallahu anhu) struck them on their heads.”
In Al-Bahrur Raa-iq it appears as follows: “ Playing chess, backgammon and every sport are not permissible by virtue of the statement of Rasulullah (sallallahu alayhi wasalam) : ‘ Every sport of the son of Aadam is haraam except three – a man’s play with his wife; training his horse and practising with his bow.’
Imaam Shaafi (rahimahullah) has said that chess is permissible without gambling, and if it does not interfere with any incumbent obligation……However, the proofs against him are the numerous mash-hoor Ahaadith . We have omitted narration of these Ahaadith here because they are so well-known. In Al-Muheet is mentioned that it is
Makrooh (i.e. Makrooh Tahrimi) to play with chess and backgammon….”

In Majmaul Anhaar it is mentioned: “ It is haraam to play with backgammon or chess.”

In Ad-Durrul Mukhtaar it is mentioned: “ It is Makrooh Tahrimi to play backgammon. Similarly (it is Makrooh Tahrimi) to play chess.”

MAY ALLAAH KEEP US AWAY FROM ALL SORT OF FRIVOLITIES AMEEN

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
~ Sabr ~
05-19-2016, 01:55 PM
:salamext:

I never learned chess, was always playing draughts/checkers when I was little.

Question @Khalid Saifullah
- Can we not play as a game either, on our mobile phone?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.