/* */

PDA

View Full Version : I don't want to get married, is it haram?

anonymous
05-20-2016, 08:08 PM
Salam alaylum

I'm a female and I've come the decision of never getting married. Off course naturally my parents aren't happy with my decision and want me to get married. However I don't because I feel very uncomfortable with the idea of marriage and it really depresses me. Would it become fard for me to get married because my parents tell me? Or is it my choice?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Cpt.America
05-20-2016, 08:09 PM
Highly recommended. Like HIGHLY recommended.
But not fardh.

Kiro
05-20-2016, 08:15 PM
Yeah, what the person above said

anonymous
05-20-2016, 08:25 PM
I understand marriage is mustahabb, but if I don't want to get married due to my reasons will I get a sin? Also, my question was since marriage is mustahabb and obeying parents is fard, am I obliged to get married because my parents tell me to? Or is marriage entirely my choice, and I have a say to not get married?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Kiro
05-20-2016, 08:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by anonymous
I understand marriage is mustahabb, but if I don't want to get married due to my reasons will I get a sin? Also, my question was since marriage is mustahabb and obeying parents is fard, am I obliged to get married because my parents tell me to? Or is marriage entirely my choice, and I have a say to not get married?
marriage is only fard for you if you fear into falling into the haram

Cpt.America
05-20-2016, 08:52 PM
Who you marry is entirely your choice.
Nobody can force that upon you.
If you get potentials you don't want to have a marriage with, of course it is your right to reject that proposal.
If you reject every proposal as they come because you don't want to have a marriage with any of them, that's your personal preference.

That being said, I don't think you should make a broad generalization about yourself or think that everything's set in stone like that.
If you get proposals consider them honestly, maybe one of them might make you rethink about not marrying. Allahu alam.
And maybe when you consider them honestly, you'll happen to reject every one of them; which is perfectly fine. Allahu alam.

Choosing to marry any individual is a personal preference so whatever your reasons for rejecting a proposal, that is your personal preferences and should not be considered a sin.

https://islamqa.info/en/1665

Misbah0411
05-20-2016, 10:14 PM
Recommended because you would be fulfilling a Sunnah. If you can keep your desires in check where you will never transgress against your soul then I wish you all the best. Some notable Muslims who never married. At-Tabari, Imam Nawawi and Ibn Taymiyah.

s.ali123
05-20-2016, 10:41 PM
Salam alaylum

I'm a female and I've come the decision of never getting married. Off course naturally my parents aren't happy with my decision and want me to get married. However I don't because I feel very uncomfortable with the idea of marriage and it really depresses me. Would it become fard for me to get married because my parents tell me? Or is it my choice?
Even though it is not fard rather mustahab, but I would say that it is beautiful thing to have if done properly. I will not ask for your reasons of not marrying, but I would highly recommend you to study the concept of marriage deeply, and how the Prophet S.A.W. and the companions treated their wives and how much beautiful relation they had with their spouses. I know a female who was also not interested in marriage before, but when she read the life of the Prophet S.A.W. and Aisha R.A. and how marriage should be islamically, she started to like the marriage :) I would recommend you to also study this topic and see what and how it should carried out properly.

anonymous
05-22-2016, 09:08 PM
:jz: everyone for your replies. I had a discussion with my mother about this issue, and she started telling me if I don't get married I'm going to regret it so badly later on in life. She convinced me about marriage and I later changed my mind and now I'm thinking of getting married, :ia:

s.ali123
05-22-2016, 09:14 PM
:jz: everyone for your replies. I had a discussion with my mother about this issue, and she started telling me if I don't get married I'm going to regret it so badly later on in life. She convinced me about marriage and I later changed my mind and now I'm thinking of getting married, :ia:
Good to hear it :) I would advise you to also read Islamic material on marriage. How to proceed, what qualities to look for in spouse, what to discuss etc etc. Spouse searching itself is a very big task these days. May Allah help you!

Bhabha
05-22-2016, 09:47 PM
That was quick XD

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.