/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Zakaat

S.Ali786
05-20-2016, 08:43 PM
Salams, I am owed money by a sibling and they have the intention to pay me back but not sure when. Do i add this onto my Zakaat?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
BeTheChange
05-20-2016, 08:48 PM
Walaikumasalaam,

Good question and one that would have probably never crossed my mind.

Jazahka Allah for raising this question.

He should pay zakaah on the debt in addition to the wealth he has with him, so he should pay zakaah on all his wealth, and do that every year, even if he has not received it from the debtor, because it is like trust. And it is permissible for him to delay paying zakaah on the debt until the time he receives it, and then pay zakaah for all the past years.
For more information please visit https://islamqa.info/en/125854

Also please ensure the above site coincides with the madhaab that you follow insha Allah.

May Allah swt help us perform our compulsory duties Ameen.

hisnameiszzz
05-20-2016, 09:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by S.Ali786
Salams, I am owed money by a sibling and they have the intention to pay me back but not sure when. Do i add this onto my Zakaat?
As far as I am aware, you ONLY pay it back when the money is returned to you. But you have to pay Zakat on all the years in between.

So for example, say you are my brother and I borrow £50K off you in December 2015. I return the money in December 2018. You would pay the Zakat in 2018 for the 3 years of 2016, 2017 and 2018.

I contacted a Mufti about this a few years ago because a friend actually borrowed some money off me. The Mufti explained that if my friend died and the money was not returned, then I would not have to pay Zakat on it. You have to be 100% sure the money is going to be returned. Actually, my friend still hasn't returned that money so I will have to ask him for it!

Oh and for your info, I contacted the Islamic Tarbiyah Academy in Dewsbury who is a Hanfi Muslim.

darullemon
06-10-2016, 11:21 PM
Assalamu aliekum,

I am confused about Zakat. We pay Zakat on money/assets saved/owned right?

Say I had $2000 in my account last Ramadan and I have $3000 by this Ramadan. That means I saved $1000 does this mean I have to pay zakat of $2000 or $3000?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
~ Sabr ~
06-11-2016, 02:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by darullemon
Assalamu aliekum,

I am confused about Zakat. We pay Zakat on money/assets saved/owned right?

Say I had $2000 in my account last Ramadan and I have $3000 by this Ramadan. That means I saved $1000 does this mean I have to pay zakat of $2000 or $3000?
:wasalamex

You pay Zakaat on the amount of money you have had saved for a year.

darullemon
06-11-2016, 06:25 PM
So the differential amount?

~ Sabr ~
06-12-2016, 01:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by darullemon
So the differential amount?
The way I understand it, if last year you had $2000 and this year you have $2000 plus anything extra - you only pay on the $2000.

And Allaah :swt: and His Rasool :saws: Know Best

AabiruSabeel
06-12-2016, 02:22 PM
The above understanding is wrong. If you had $2000 last year on which you have already paid Zakat, and now you have the same $2000 + $1000 extra, then the zakat is due on the complete amount of $3000, not just the extra $1000.

Please read the below Fatwa for details:

Alaykum Salam wa rahmatullah,

The yearly repeatability of the zakat of the same wealth is explicitly mentioned in the hadith of the Prophet (upon him blessings and peace): “La zakata fi maalin hatta yahula `alayhi al-hawl.” “There is no zakat due on property/wealth until the year passes while it is being owned” Narrated in Abu Dawud and elsewhere with a fair chain.

The meaning of the above wording is “whenever the year passes over any property, year after year.” If the hadith meant to say that only one year is counted and then no more zakat is due over the same wealth, the wording would have stated “hatta yahula `alayhi hawl” in the indefinite, to mean “after one year passes (and no more after that)”; but he said al-hawl “the year” with the definite article of `ahd (previous knowledge) to indicate regularity and repetition in time, because it is time or more precisely the lunar year that actually makes wealth subject to zakat rather than a property of wealth itself; and the year is circular, not linear.

An important indirect proof is also found in the hadith of the Prophet (upon him blessings and peace): “Put to work the wealth of the orphan so that zakat will not eat it up.” In the Sunan and it is sahih li-ghayrih. This is because the same wealth will be zakatable year after year. One of the major sahaba, Abd Allah b. `Amr b. al-`As — Allah be well-pleased with him and his father — would pay the zakat of his daughters’ gold every year (the same gold) as narrated by al-Qasim b. Sallam in Kitab al-Amwal.

Hence — as everyone knows — if a person withheld the obligatory zakat on his wealth for 5 years, he would have to pay the zakat due on the accumulated wealth of five years — not just the zakat that would have been due at the end of the first year.

Furthermore, there is ijma` (consensus) that zakat is every year even on the same wealth including gold. This was stated in reply to the very same question when it was circulated and answered years ago here:

He Claims That Zakat Payment Does Not Recur Every Year (Arabic)
and here: He Claims that Zakat Need Not Be Paid Each Year

There is enough in the above answers to show the incorrectness of the innovation of blocking the zakat of the same gold after another year elapses.

The legal reason (sabab) for the obligatoriness of zakat is one’s ownership of the nisab (minimum wealth) and its legal precondition is the passing of the year. These are the two requirements; there is no third requirement that the wealth in question never to have been zakated before. The wisdom (hikma) of repeated zakatability is because gold, silver, livestock and merchandise are all types of wealth described as “mazinnat numuww” i.e. wealth that is susceptible of growth. Hence harvests are not repeatedly zakatable because they tend to spoil over time.

One’s unzakated wealth becomes haram for oneself if the due zakat is not remitted. Blocking zakat from the poor and needy — and the rest of the zakat recipients in the Umma — with an invented pretext that was unheard of among all previous generations is a huge offense, and an indescribable injustice as well as an attempt to corrupt the third Pillar of Islam.

And Allah knows best.

Source: http://islamqa.org/hanafi/seekersguidance-hanafi/86268

darullemon
06-13-2016, 07:39 AM
Just to be clear i was going to pay zakat on initial 2000 i had and now i will all be paying zakat on 1000 i earned this year

Aisha
06-13-2016, 05:59 PM
السّلام عليكم ورحمة الله وبركاته
@darullemon

To answer your question.. You'd look at the beginning and end of your Zakat year. Your Zakat year starts when you pay your zakat. Say that's 1st Ramadhan.

So.. Last year on the 1st of Ramadhan you had $2000
This year on the 1st of Ramadhan you have $3000

Based on this, you'll pay Zakat on $3000 as we're looking at the beginning and end, not in between.

darullemon
06-23-2016, 11:47 PM
Can we buy food/clothes and give that as zakat instead of Money? Thing is guy whom we give zakat is alcoholic if we give him money he will spend it on booze. If we give him food and clothes, atleast his family will have proper food and clothes.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.