/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Mortgage and Zakat

S.Ali786
05-21-2016, 09:04 AM
Salams, do you pay Zakat on equity in mortgage?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Misbah0411
05-21-2016, 01:12 PM
Unbelievable.

sister herb
05-21-2016, 01:27 PM
^^ Does this mean yes or no?

ardianto
05-21-2016, 02:51 PM
:sl:

Suppose, I borrow money from you with agreement, if I could not pay my loan, you can take my house. In this case, the house actually is still under my ownership. You just have a right to take the house if I could not pay. So, obligation of zakat for this house is still fall on me.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Misbah0411
05-21-2016, 04:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sister herb
^^ Does this mean yes or no?
He is asking about paying zakat on the haram (mortgage) That this is a question is disheartening.

ardianto
05-21-2016, 05:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Misbah0411
He is asking about paying zakat on the haram (mortgage) That this is a question is disheartening.
Mortgage is loans granted on the basis of collateral in the form of immovable object. In example, I borrow money from you with agreement, if I could not pay, you can take my house.

What brother Ali was asking was zakat on collateral in this mortgage loan, like the house in my example.

Misbah0411
05-21-2016, 06:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto
Mortgage is loans granted on the basis of collateral in the form of immovable object. In example, I borrow money from you with agreement, if I could not pay, you can take my house.

What brother Ali was asking was zakat on collateral in this mortgage loan, like the house in my example.
Is that mortgage one where interest (riba) is attached to it or not? Unless you know of a mortgage from a bank that doesn't charge interest, I would be happy if you can tell me. I'm all ears......

Cpt.America
05-21-2016, 10:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Misbah0411
Is that mortgage one where interest (riba) is attached to it or not? Unless you know of a mortgage from a bank that doesn't charge interest, I would be happy if you can tell me. I'm all ears......
http://www.theguardian.com/money/200...ortgages.islam

OP didn't specify if the mortgage was taken from a bank,
or that he didn't take a mortgage from an Islamic Bank.

However usually in these cases they are bank loans with interest, and it is troubling that any Muslim should take any riba.
If that is the case, many Muslims get involved in this haram activity from ignorance.
If the A brother had involved themselves in an interest based loan due to ignorance, and has realized they must leave such an accursed thing InshsaaAllah, has made tawbah and is doing their utmost to escape the loan as fast as possible,
then at least he understands to maintain the fardh of zakat even as he is trying to extract himself from this situation.

pretty much:
We do not know if the mortgage involved riba,
But even if it does the question is still a relevant question as the OP cannot neglect his zakat because of his other sins

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.