/* */

PDA

View Full Version : How do I fast when I take short-acting medicines?

Mustafa16
05-23-2016, 11:14 PM
I want to fast for Ramadan, and to lower my sexual desire.....but I take prescribed medications for my anxiety twice daily, and I often take over the counter medications during the day......I have tried taking the pills at suhoor and iftar, but the medicine ends up wearing out and I have a panic attack.......what IF, I only broke my fast for taking the pills later in the morning and early in the evening, and use as little water as possible, but other than that, not eat or drink anything? is this bid'ah? I want to participate in Ramadan, and my interest in girls is turning into an obsession, and I need to do something.......

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
muslimah_B
05-23-2016, 11:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mustafa16
I want to fast for Ramadan, and to lower my sexual desire.....but I take prescribed medications for my anxiety twice daily, and I often take over the counter medications during the day......I have tried taking the pills at suhoor and iftar, but the medicine ends up wearing out and I have a panic attack.......what IF, I only broke my fast for taking the pills later in the morning and early in the evening, and use as little water as possible, but other than that, not eat or drink anything? is this bid'ah? I want to participate in Ramadan, and my interest in girls is turning into an obsession, and I need to do something.......
In sha Allah you could ask your doctor that for the month of ramadan to prescribe you something for your anxiety to take at nighttime that will last throughout the day.

If you take it during the day it will invalidate your fast for that whole day brother there is no way around it.
Any form of food, water that goes into your throat invalidates the fast, unless it is done by genuine forgetfullness

LaSorcia
05-23-2016, 11:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by muslimah_B
In sha Allah you could ask your doctor that for the month of ramadan to prescribe you something for your anxiety to take at nighttime that will last throughout the day.
There are no anxiolytics that are effective for that long, except some anti-depressants (which are sometimes used for anxiety as well), and they have to be taken for some weeks before they have that effect.

Surely taking medication doesn't count as fast-breaking?

Mustafa16
05-23-2016, 11:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by LaSorcia
There are no anxiolytics that are effective for that long, except some anti-depressants (which are sometimes used for anxiety as well), and they have to be taken for some weeks before they have that effect.

I have to take it with water, otherwise I choke

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
muslimah_B
05-24-2016, 12:20 AM

Anything like food, water, medicine that is taken intentionally through the g.i tract, the mouth, ,nose, esophagus, stomach, intestines brakes ones fast, there is no work around, you cannot take a tablet or consume anything or it breaks the fast, some diabetics have to inject insulin into their tummys which invalidates the fast as it is entering their stomach

The Sick, pregnant/nursing and travellors are exempt from fasting,
The sickness has to be confirmed by a pious muslim doctor that the condition will be aggrevated or pro-longed by fasting.
For those with perminant or incurable disease they are exempt and must pay fidya
Pregnant/nursing women are exempt if they feel that fasting would be harmfull to the baby

(Fidya = feeding 1 poor person 2 meals a day for 60 days
Or
Feed 60 poor people 2meals a day)

~ Sabr ~
05-24-2016, 11:08 AM
Hi, please don't mention anything you are not 100% sure about, thanks

Umm Abed
05-24-2016, 11:24 AM

Yes dear, fasting does break if anything goes down, but Islam is easy, so if you cannot manage to fast (due to health reasons) then it has to be done later. If not at all then a certain amount of money has to be paid out to the poor. :)

LaSorcia
05-24-2016, 12:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ~ Sabr ~
Hi, please don't mention anything you are not 100% sure about, thanks
That's why it was phrased as a question, thanks.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.