/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Fasting and epilepsy

Hopes N Prayers
05-25-2016, 07:45 AM
I'm an epileptic person and when I fast I have too many seizures due to dehydration and heat. I don't want to stop fasting because of this but last Ramadan one of Quran teacher suggested that I stop fasting for a couple days and see what happens. Alhamdullilah I made up for those days but is it aloud for me to stop fasting because of my condition. My mother thinks I shouldn't fast this Ramadan but I really want to and do not want to miss out on the blessings of this month. What should I do?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
*charisma*
05-25-2016, 08:48 AM
Assalamu Alaikum

Since you know what triggers your epilepsy, maybe drink A LOT more fluids both before you eat your meal and after, as well as at suhoor. Maybe you can also start fasting half days or every other day to get your body used to it. Otherwise, if it's really too hard on your body and still causes seizures, then maybe it's best not to fast. May Allah grant you shifaa.

noraina
05-25-2016, 09:09 AM
Assalamu alaykum

As has been said, try to manage your epilepsy through drinking plenty of fluids and eating lots of fruits for suhoor/iftar. Maybe you could start fasting before Ramadan as practise, and see how it goes.

Of course, keep in mind one of the reasons a Muslim is excused from fasting is due to illness or if fasting would be damaging to one's health. So sis, you should try and fast for a few days inshaAllah, but if you cannot do it, don't be hard on yourself, Allah swt and His deen are merciful so don't put yourself through excessive difficulty, there are may other acts of ibadat besides fasting one can do. And you could make up for them in the cooler months.

May Allah swt give you shifa and make it easy for you.

Hopes N Prayers
05-26-2016, 08:05 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by *charisma*
Assalamu Alaikum

Since you know what triggers your epilepsy, maybe drink A LOT more fluids both before you eat your meal and after, as well as at suhoor. Maybe you can also start fasting half days or every other day to get your body used to it. Otherwise, if it's really too hard on your body and still causes seizures, then maybe it's best not to fast. May Allah grant you shifaa.
Wcs sis inshallah I will try to drink more water. And as for fasting every other day I am no longer aloud to[emoji45] I use to fast on Mondays and Thursday's but my father told me I can no longer do that cuz it makes me a lot weaker and I'm not even able to get my work done. I would feel dizzy and lightheaded and then my mother would force me to break my fast. Maybe I could try to fast in secret[emoji57] I don't know really Ramadan's 'round the corner and I still need to figure something out[emoji848]I want to fast I will figure something out I hope

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.