/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Sunday Roast

m4rouf
05-25-2016, 07:05 PM
My family's started having roast dinners more often now which led me to wondering why people have Sunday Roasts. I couldn't find a correlation with religion online but is it haram to have roasts every Sunday?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
EgyptPrincess
05-25-2016, 07:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by m4rouf
My family's started having roast dinners more often now which led me to wondering why people have Sunday Roasts. I couldn't find a correlation with religion online but is it haram to have roasts every Sunday?
Why would it be haram? Eating a roast every Sunday is a tradition for some British families, not a celebration.

sister herb
05-25-2016, 07:36 PM
Propably because Sunday has been a day off from the work. Then it´s time to spend more time for cooking, gathering family and friends together and spend some free time together.

Wikipedia says this:

Eating a large meal following church services is common to all of Europe and other countries with a Christian heritage. On Sundays, all types of meat and dairy produce are normally allowed, unlike Fridays where many Roman Catholics and Anglicans traditionally abstain from all meat but fish. Likewise, it is traditional for Anglicans and English Catholics to fast before Sunday services, with a larger meal to break the fast afterwards.

There are (at least) two opinions on the origins of the modern Sunday roast. One holds that, during the industrial revolution, Yorkshire families left a cut of meat in the oven before going to church on a Sunday morning, which was then ready to eat by the time they arrived home at lunchtime. The second opinion holds that the Sunday roast dates back to medieval times, when the village serfs served the squire for six days a week. Then, on the Sunday, after the morning church service, serfs would assemble in a field and practise their battle techniques and were rewarded with a feast of oxen roasted on a spit.

By this it partly seems to have something about the Christian background but I think that all people have to eat something - also at the Sundays. And roast sounds tasty.

muslimah_B
05-25-2016, 07:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by m4rouf
No its not haram, its just part of British culture lol
As long as the meat is halal LOL its pefectly fine to have a roast every sunday.
As long as the culture does not contradict any aspect of islam its perfectly fine

(I do enjoy roast lamb with Yorkshire puddings gravy and roast patatoes :) )

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Cpt.America
05-25-2016, 08:21 PM
Why just limit yourself to Sunday's?
Why naut roast day everyday?
Or a roast week?
A week of sampling and celebrating the subtle tastes of delectable roasts of various (halal) fowl, pheasants, and cattle the world over!
THINK OF THE POSSIBILITIES MAN!

sister herb
05-26-2016, 01:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Cpt.America
Why just limit yourself to Sunday's?
Why naut roast day everyday?
Or a roast week?
A week of sampling and celebrating the subtle tastes of delectable roasts of various (halal) fowl, pheasants, and cattle the world over!
THINK OF THE POSSIBILITIES MAN!
I think that roast might be more expensive than "everyday food" and it´s good to eat also something else, like vegetables and fish at the some days. It´s like the sweets - sometimes ok but not all the time.

noraina
05-26-2016, 02:21 PM
Nothing wrong with a nice roast dinner as long as it is halal, lol - one of our ancient British traditions :D I don't like roast myself tbh, but I love mashed potatoes with boiled veggies.

Although my family has biryani or kabuli pilaf every weekend....it is one of our own little traditions.

EgyptPrincess
05-26-2016, 03:10 PM
I think I've had like 1 roast dinner in my life. It was nice but nothing special.

Moroccan chicken > all other dishes.

Serinity
05-26-2016, 03:27 PM
It is haram to imitate the kuffar in what represents them. me personally I wouldn't do this roast thing.

And Allah SWT knows best.

sister herb
05-26-2016, 03:41 PM
Does roasted meat imitate kuffar? Oh boy, seems that eating goes difficult for those ones whose culinary culture isn´t from some Muslim majority area. What about biryani? I am sure that it´s traditional to others than Muslims-only too.

Can I still eat gingerbread cookies? Kuffar eat them too. Some specially at the Holiday season, some also other times.

Serinity
05-26-2016, 03:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sister herb
Does roasted meat imitate kuffar? Oh boy, seems that eating goes difficult for those ones whose culinary culture isn´t from some Muslim majority area. What about biryani? I am sure that it´s traditional to others than Muslims-only too.

Can I still eat gingerbread cookies? Kuffar eat them too. Some specially at the Holiday season, some also other times.
you are extrapolating. This whole Roast on sunday 'after church' stuff sounds way too christian.

The meat itself can be halal. Something that makes people think "is he christian?" by doing it - that is haram. I am pretty sure.

Anyways, nothing wrong with eating roasted stuff on sunday. but one should check their intention

But this roast on sunday sounds waaaaaay too christian to me - I wouldn't it.

And whosoever imitates a people in their traditions, clothing, lifestyles, eating habits, - is one of them. (there is a hadith about this)

So specifically eating on sunday this roasted stuff, just like christians - and I am pretty sure this is representative of their faith - or at least - makes people think "is he christian?"

I personally feel it is haram.. Cuz I strongly feel it is imitation of kuffar.
But personally, I wouldn't specifically target a sunday.

sister herb
05-26-2016, 03:54 PM
I think that this wikipedia source told more about the method of cooking as well using of time for cooking, not that the meal itself would have something to do with religion habits. Nowadays people may put the roast to oven, then go to the supermarket for shopping and when they return, meal is ready to eat.

Serinity
05-26-2016, 03:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sister herb
I think that this wikipedia source told more about the method of cooking as well using of time for cooking, not that the meal itself would have something to do with religion habits. Nowadays people may put the roast to oven, then go to the supermarket for shopping and when they return, meal is ready to eat.
But I feel it is way too christian. I wouldn't do it.

It is something that mostly kuffar do - we have to think to ourselves "is this the norm? Does this represent anyone? What do people associate with this stuff?"

As for me - I see it as imitating kuffar - because I feel it is a christian thing. I wouldn't do it.

EgyptPrincess
05-26-2016, 04:17 PM
"The Sunday roast is a traditional British and Irish main meal that is traditionally served on Sunday, consisting of roasted meat, roast potato, with accompaniments such as Yorkshire pudding, stuffing, vegetables and gravy."

Nearly everything would count as imitation of kufr then... Eating burgers and chips or having a BBQ'. Playing video games or watching movies. Playing golf or tennis.

It's just ridiculous. The term "imitating the kufr" needs to be properly defined.

Having a roast dinner on a Sunday is no different to having an indian on a Friday or french toast in the morning.

Cpt.America
05-26-2016, 04:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Serinity
But I feel it is way too christian. I wouldn't do it.

It is something that mostly kuffar do - we have to think to ourselves "is this the norm? Does this represent anyone? What do people associate with this stuff?"

As for me - I see it as imitating kuffar - because I feel it is a christian thing. I wouldn't do it.
I don't see anything Christian in it, but if you do, just do Saturday Roasts instead bro :D

ardianto
05-26-2016, 04:18 PM
Christians in my place usually go to restaurant after attending mass at the church on Sunday. So, if Muslims go to restaurant on Sunday, does it mean they imitate Christians?. Of course not, because go to restaurant on Sunday is not something that specifically only for Christians. Not different than having roasts on Sunday. This is not something that specifically only for Christians. So, have roasts every Sunday is not haram, as long as your intention is not because you want to follow Christian people.

Aisha
05-26-2016, 04:26 PM
Intentions matter.
Most people will have a family meal on Sunday as that's the day family members won't be working or studying. Whether that meal is a roast dinner, biryani, shepherd's pie, lasagne.... It really doesn't matter. Just enjoy the food and say Alhamdulillah.

Can't beat a roast dinner with all the trimmings Alhamdulillah :D

Serinity
05-26-2016, 04:26 PM
I don't see anything Christian in it, but if you do, just do Saturday Roasts instead bro :D
well..

Lets not extrapolate this and be like "no video games, no cornflakes, no this or that"

Is there any clear definition of imitation of kuffar - what criteria has to be met?

Cpt.America
05-26-2016, 04:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Serinity
well..

Lets not extrapolate this and be like "no video games, no cornflakes, no this or that"

Is there any clear definition of imitation of kuffar - what criteria has to be met?
You can't go so far as to calling eating roast on Sunday as haraam (from one of your posts). That is an extreme. So we should be careful about saying things like that.
And I don't see how eating roasts on Sunday's is imitating anyone.
If it is a cultural thing (to eat roasts on Sunday's) that does not go against any Islamic regulations it should be fine.

If someone was like "NO we HAVE to eat ROAST on SUNDAY because it is tradition!" Then I can see that as being an issue. We shouldn't make fardh (or put even a bit of value) of something that is really trivial and unimportant. But if a bro likes to eat roast on Sunday's cause it's convenient for them to eat roasts on sunday, it should be fine.

I will admit I know little to nothing about Sunday roasts though.

Im particularly fond of Fish Taco Friday's

Serinity
05-26-2016, 04:56 PM
Idk, I may have been a bit extreme. Idk. Allahu alam.

EgyptPrincess
05-26-2016, 05:05 PM
Im particularly fond of Fish Taco Friday's
tacos... so american :D

I've never had a taco but if I ever visit america I'm definitely going to make sure I try taco bell

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.