/* */

PDA

View Full Version : I don't know

azc
05-27-2016, 05:01 AM
By Shaykh ‘Abd al-Fattah Abu Ghuddah
Translated by Mawlana Muhammad Mahomedy

‘Abd Allah ibn ‘Umar says: “Knowledge is of three types; the book that is forever speaking (Qur’an), an established Sunnah, and ‘I do not know’.”[1]

In his explanation to this statement, Imam al-Munawi (Allah have mercy on him) says: “It is learnt from this hadith that it is a duty of an ‘alim that if he does not know the answer to a question, he should say ‘I do not know’, or, ‘I am not certain’, or, ‘I have no knowledge thereof’, or, ‘Allah knows best’. If a person is asked a question and he replies, ‘I do not know’, this does not lower his rank, as some ignorant people assume. This is because the ignorance of a qualified ‘alim with regard to certain matters does not harm him. Rather, his saying, ‘I do not know’, raises his rank because it is proof of his great status, the strength of his din, the fear of his Sustainer, the purity of his heart, the perfection of his recognition [of Allah] and the goodness of his intention.“

”It is a person whose religiosity is weak and whose recognition [of Allah] is little who will scorn such a statement. This is because he fears a drop in his status in the eyes of those who are present but does not fear a drop in his status in the sight of the Sustainer of the worlds. This is an act of ignorance and weakness in din.”[2]

The statement, “I do not know” and “I have no knowledge” have thus been recorded with regards to the four Imams, the four rightly guided caliphs, in fact, even from Allah’s Messenger (Allah bless him and grant him peace) and Jibra’il (peace of Allah be upon him).

Imam Abu ‘l-Hasan al-Mawardi (Allah have mercy on him) says: “Since there is no way whatsoever of encompassing all knowledge, there is no shame in not knowing some of it. Since there is no shame in not knowing some of it, you should not feel shy to say: ‘I do not know’, with regard to what you do not know.”[3]

Saying “I Do Not Know” Is Half Of Knowledge

Imam al-Ghazzali (Allah have mercy on him) says: “The person who remains silent when he does not know – and he does this solely for Allah – is no lesser in reward than the person who speaks. This is because admitting ignorance is more difficult on the soul.”

Abu Talib al-Makki (Allah have mercy on him) says: “This is because the beauty of a person remaining silent for the sake of Allah out of piety is like the beauty of a person who speaks of knowledge for the sake of Allah willingly.”[4]

Ibn ‘Abd al-Barr (Allah have mercy on him) narrates from someone of knowledge who said: “Learn to say, ‘I do not know’, and do not learn to say: ‘I know’. This is because if you say: ‘I do not know’, they will teach you till you know. But if you say, ‘I know’, they will continue questioning you till you have no answer.”[5]

Abu Khaythamah al-Nasa’i (Allah have mercy on him) narrates on the authority of ‘Abd Allah ibn ‘Umar, may Allah be pleased with him, who said: “It is part of knowledge for a person who does not know, to say Allah knows best.”[6]

Ibrahim al-Nakha’i (Allah have mercy on him) asked a question to ‘Amir al-Sha’bi (Allah have mercy on him),:wa: who was a great imam and a great scholar from among the tabi’in (followers). So the latter replied: ‘I do not know.’ On hearing this, Ibrahim al-Nakha’i (Allah have mercy on him) said: “I take an oath by Allah that this is a true ‘alim – he was asked about something which he did not know and he said: ‘I do not know’.”

Harith al-Muhasibi. Risalah al-Mustarshidin: The Sunnah Way of the Sufis Ed. ‘Abd al-Fattah Abu Ghuddah. Trans. Muhammad Mohamedy. Karachi: ZamZam Publishers, 2009. Print.

[1] Al-Daraqutni; Ghara’ib Malik. Al-Khatib al-Baghdadi: Asma man rawa ‘an Malik. Abu Da’ud: Kitab al-Fara’id, 3:164. Ibn Majah: in the introduction to his sunan, chapter eight.

[2] Al-Munawi: Fayd al-Qadir bi Sharh al-Jami’ al-Saghir, 4:387-388

[3] Al-Mawardi: Adab al-Dunya wa ‘l-Din, p. 82 as quoted in Sharh al-Ihya, 1394 of Al-Zabidi
[4] Al-Ghazzali: al-Ihya, 1:69

[5] Ibn ‘Abdil Barr, Jami’ Bayan al-‘Ilm, 2:55

[6] Abu Khaythamah al-Nasa’i: Kitab al-‘Ilm, p. 120

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
*charisma*
05-27-2016, 08:08 AM
Assalamu Alaikum

This is excellent advice for everyone.

We have to be humble in our pursuit for knowledge.

Abud-Darda (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: The Messenger of Allah (sallallaahu ’alayhi wa sallam) said, “He who follows a path in quest of knowledge, Allah will make the path of Jannah easy to him. The angels lower their wings over the seeker of knowledge, being pleased with what he does. The inhabitants of the heavens and the earth and even the fish in the depth of the oceans seek forgiveness for him. The superiority of the learned man over the devout worshipper is like that of the full moon to the rest of the stars (i.e., in brightness). The learned are the heirs of the Prophets who bequeath neither dinar nor dirham but only that of knowledge; and he who acquires it, has in fact acquired an abundant portion.”
[Abu Dawud and At-Tirmidhi].

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!