/* */

PDA

View Full Version : What does Islam says about Transcendental Meditation?

usman536
05-27-2016, 07:01 AM
Assalam O Alaikum Everyone!

My name is Usman and I'm a Muslim. Before I go explain about what Transcendental Meditation is, I would like to tell a bit about myself. I'm 20 years old and I'm suffering from Depression & Anxiety and been taking antidepressants for almost 4 years now. I feel like I'm destroying my body by taking antidepressants because it causes very bad side-effects such as weak memory, sleeping problems etc. I was taking 15 mg daily and now I've reduced it to 5 mg daily and I'm determined to quit taking it. But before I do that, I need an alternative treatment and the one I've found is called Transcendental Meditation. I've asked all the Muftis on the internet about it but I haven't got a single reply.

So, what is Transcendental Meditation? Well, it's a simple, natural and effortless technique where the person has to sit for 20 minutes with eyes closed & repeat a specific word or sound. This word or sound is meaningless and has nothing to do with religion. It's practiced twice everyday, in the morning & evening. It's basic purpose is healing and it's not a religion.

This technique has been practiced all over the world by people of all religions including Christians, Hinudus, Muslims. It's also scientifically proven to reduce Depression & Anxiety, Lower Blood Pressure & decrease the risk of Heart Attack and many other health benefits.

I want to learn and start practicing it, because I'm desperate for the treatment of my anxiety. All I need is health and be able to function without the need to take antidepressants or anti whatever or any kind of pills.

So what do you think about it? If this meditation technique can heal my anxiety, gets me rid of the antidepressants I'm taking, and make me a better Muslim, should I learn it and start practicing it? What does Islam says about it?

I would also love to hear from Muslims that are practicing this meditation technique.

Thanks for reading,
Usman.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
*charisma*
05-27-2016, 07:40 AM
Assalamu Alaikum

Why not just perform salaah and take time in your sujuud by making du'a and supplicating over and over again :unsure: You'll be doing it 5x a day so I'm sure if that lil thing you wanna do is supposed to be helpful, salaah should be more beneficial inshallah. Salaah and your trust in allah also helps relieve a lot of anxiety.

usman536
05-27-2016, 08:20 AM
Hey,

Of course I will pray 5 times daily. The problem is Chronic Anxiety and it's different from most of the people. It's a medical condition that needs to be treated and for which I'm taking antidepressants for the past 4 years. I don't want to take them for life!

I want to do TM only for healing & cure from this condition because it's scientifically proven to reduce Anxiety. My question was if there's any Hadith or any resource where it says that TM is not allowed in Islam.

Note: I have researched ALOT and I haven't found any fatwas against Transcendental Meditation. Although I do find Malysian community banned Muslims Yoga but there's nothing being said about Transcendental Meditation.

Thanks,
Usman.

drac16
05-27-2016, 08:21 AM
I say go for it. If that's what works, by all means, do it. I practice meditation as well and it helps me focus my mind on God (as opposed to having my mind on my circumstances). What it is is basically breath control. My theory is that if you can control your breathing, you can calm yourself down when you're having an episode of anxiety. Take slow, deep breaths while visualizing a channel starting from your chest and ending at the crown of your head. You're basically visualizing the angst shooting out of your body.

Do a quick Google search on Muraqaba; there's a lot to it. It's not something that someone invented overnight-- it's got a rich history to it.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
*charisma*
05-27-2016, 08:58 AM
Transcendental Meditation comes from Vedism which has Hindu roots. Just like yoga, I think there would a difference in opinion because of it's original roots.

Salaah also has the health benefits you speak about. the reason I'm advocating more for Salaah is because it's prescribed to us by Allah himself :D Cure comes from Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala, so we should gravitate towards what is written for us in the Quran and sunnah. Seriously if you make du'a during sujuud it makes a world of a difference. Salah is repetition as well, there's the repeat of movements, dhikr, and even rest..so essentially there are similarities but salaah has more benefit on us as Muslims inshallah.

usman536
05-27-2016, 09:51 AM
Hi,

I agree, Salaah has a lot of benefits and is considered meditation in itself. But sometimes, it becomes difficult for me to do even small things because of depression. I sometimes lose interest in life :( My parents pray 5 times regularly and they are still taking antidepressants. This illness (Anxiety, Depression) runs in my family and I have it from them I think.

Yoga is different from TM and I won't practice it. Because Yoga can involve saying things like "Om" or other words that may lead to shirk. Malaysian Community has also banned Muslims from doing yoga because of this reason.

But TM just involves sitting on a chair, bed, ground and repeating a meaningless word or sound for 20 minutes. I have searched a lot on the internet and I haven't found any fatwas issued against it.

I might need to ask a Scholar about it.

Thanks!

*charisma*
05-27-2016, 09:56 AM
Inshallah khair brother, good idea to ask a scholar about it.

May Allah grant you shifaa ameen. Depression as you know has to do with chemical imbalances in the brain that can only be helped with medication, but inshallah you find some way around it :) Psych meds can be terrible, but be careful when weaning yourself off in case it causes withdrawal symptoms. I hear people can feel suicidal. May allah protect you from such thoughts.

usman536
05-27-2016, 09:56 AM
Hi,

I haven't started practicing it yet but it will work. Because it's the most effective meditation compared to all the other forms of meditation.

I've heard about breathing techniques for Anxiety and will do it too :) Do you have a website where you learned Breathing Meditation?

usman536
05-27-2016, 10:11 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by *charisma*
Inshallah khair brother, good idea to ask a scholar about it.

May Allah grant you shifaa ameen. Depression as you know has to do with chemical imbalances in the brain that can only be helped with medication, but inshallah you find some way around it :) Psych meds can be terrible, but be careful when weaning yourself off in case it causes withdrawal symptoms. I hear people can feel suicidal. May allah protect you from such thoughts.
Ameen. Actually this is what all the doctors and pharmaceutical companies tells us that Depression is caused by a "Lack of Serotonin" and we have to take medication to artificially increase the serotonin levels in our brains. This theory, actually has never been proven. In fact, there are studies that show no difference in serotonin levels in Depressed People vs Non-Depressed. Also, the first antidepressants were discovered while searching for other treatments and they came before any understanding of why they helped (or didn't help) people with depression. Also, it causes terrible side-effects such as memory loss (Short-Term). Statistic shows that the number of depressed people have doubled or tripled ever since the evolution of Antidepressants.

One thing is clear, Antidepressant is no treatment and I need to explore other ways to heal my anxiety. Whether it is Transcendental Meditation, Islamic Meditation, Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Cupping Therapy. Whatever it is, but not antidepressants...

Thanks again.

*charisma*
05-27-2016, 10:31 AM
Yes Big Pharma is terrible, and there's more money being put into medication than there is in alternative medicine (eg holistic methods), but please do stick around and let us know how you're getting :) Or at least keep us updated on your condition inshallah.

usman536
05-27-2016, 10:41 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by *charisma*
Yes Big Pharma is terrible, and there's more money being put into medication than there is in alternative medicine (eg holistic methods), but please do stick around and let us know how you're getting :) Or at least keep us updated on your condition inshallah.
I feel like getting ripped off from the drug companies. I've cut down my medicine from 15 mg to 5 mg for 3 weeks. Experiencing some withdrawal symptoms like increased anxiety, dizziness, but nothing serious. Will keep updated about what I tried and what worked for me in the next weeks.

Marina-Aisha
05-27-2016, 12:19 PM
please try also doing duas i have anxiety also probably not as bad as yours but in sha allah it will help here are a few:

O Allah, I am Your servant, son of Your servant, son of your maidservant. My forehead is in Your hand. Your command conceming me prevails, and Your decision concerning me is just. I call upon You by every one of the beautiful names by which You have described Yourself, or which You have revealed in Your book, or have taught anyone of Your creatures, or which You have chosen to keep in the knowledge of the unseen with You, to make the Qur’an the delight of my heart, the light of my breast, and remover of my griefs, sorrows, and afflictions‘.

O Allah, there is no ease except what You make easy, and you alone can turn a difficulty into ease

None has the right to be worshipped but Allah, the Majestic, the Most Forbearing. None has the right to be worshipped but Allah, the Lord of the Tremendous Throne. None has the right to be worshipped but Allah, the Lord of the Heavens and the Lord of the Honourable Throne.

also make sure you do alot of dhikr through out the day

noraina
05-27-2016, 12:42 PM
May Allah swt bring peace and tranquillity into your heart. Ameen.

I don't entirely agree with the view that depression is caused by chemical imbalances - rather these imbalances can be the *result* of long-term depression and anxiety, they are known to cause the release of certain hormones. And the thing about antidepressants, is that they treat the symptoms but that they don't treat the root cause.

You could take these medications your whole life, but they would just be alleviating the symptoms of depression - such as anxiety of headaches - and the moment you stopped taking them those symptoms would return. Definitely extend your sujood in your salah, remember Allah swt frequently, do meditation and other things - and most importantly try to find out what is the cause of your feeling down or anxious. I firmly believe that past experiences or emotional pain can manifest themselves physically, I think it's about finding them and addressing them, inshaAllah it'll help.

And yep, keep us updated.

With duas,

Alpha Dude
05-27-2016, 05:55 PM
But TM just involves sitting on a chair, bed, ground and repeating a meaningless word or sound for 20 minutes
I'd advise to meditate in a different way.

Sit in a comfortable position. Close your eyes. Remove all thoughts from your mind and imagine your heart saying "Allah Allah Allah..." and that all sadness is leaving you, all bad is leaving you and that the blessings of Allah are descending into your heart.

As Allah has said in the Quran, 13:28, to the effect: "Those who believe, and whose hearts find satisfaction in the remembrance of Allah: for without doubt in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find satisfaction".

This way, you'd be earning reward by remembering Allah and on top of that clearing your mind of stress and making your mind positive with the imagination that blessings are coming to you. This would be way better than chanting meaningless words.

usman536
06-08-2016, 11:45 PM
Just an update here: I did a lot of research on TM and I've found some major bug in it. The TM Organization claims that the mantras used in meditation are just "meaningless sounds" and nothing to do with religion. However, after pulling out a list of TM mantras from the internet and searching for their meaning, I actually found that those mantras are actually the names on Hindu Gods. The TM Organization is hiding it from people and telling everyone that the words are meaningless.

I'm very disappointed with the TM Organization after reading the "Behind the scenes" info.

There seems to be A LOT of confusion about it and therefore, I decide NOT learning TM.

Here are some of the resources I found:

http://minet.org/www.trancenet.net/s.../mantras.shtml (Lists TM Mantras with their Associated Gods)
http://tmfree.blogspot.com/2014/03/t...m-mantras.html
http://www.dialogueireland.org/site/.../tm/index.html
http://minet.org/mantras.html
http://www.behind-the-tm-facade.org/...n-religion.htm
http://caic.org.au/eastern/sydda/free-tm.htm

The TM Organization says that the mantras are not the names of Hindu gods but other resources claims that they are names of hindu gods.

If some brother can confirm this information, I'm sure it will help many Muslims.

I feel like Allah saved me from this.. I almost fell for this program but now seeing that there's a hell of confusion and that it may lead to Shirk, I'm out.

I'm amazed though, why are not there any Fatwas issued against this???

I will now look into other treatment options. I'm considering learning Islamic Meditation (Muraqaba) which is the meditation in the name of Allah. It will be much better I think.

Thanks,
Usman.

*charisma*
06-09-2016, 12:37 AM
Assalamu Alaikum

format_quote Originally Posted by usman536
Just an update here: I did a lot of research on TM and I've found some major bug in it. The TM Organization claims that the mantras used in meditation are just "meaningless sounds" and nothing to do with religion. However, after pulling out a list of TM mantras from the internet and searching for their meaning, I actually found that those mantras are actually the names on Hindu Gods. The TM Organization is hiding it from people and telling everyone that the words are meaningless.

I'm very disappointed with the TM Organization after reading the "Behind the scenes" info.

There seems to be A LOT of confusion about it and therefore, I decide NOT learning TM.

Here are some of the resources I found:

http://minet.org/www.trancenet.net/s.../mantras.shtml (Lists TM Mantras with their Associated Gods)
http://tmfree.blogspot.com/2014/03/t...m-mantras.html
http://www.dialogueireland.org/site/.../tm/index.html
http://minet.org/mantras.html
http://www.behind-the-tm-facade.org/...n-religion.htm
http://caic.org.au/eastern/sydda/free-tm.htm

The TM Organization says that the mantras are not the names of Hindu gods but other resources claims that they are names of hindu gods.

If some brother can confirm this information, I'm sure it will help many Muslims.

I feel like Allah saved me from this.. I almost fell for this program but now seeing that there's a hell of confusion and that it may lead to Shirk, I'm out.

I'm amazed though, why are not there any Fatwas issued against this???

I will now look into other treatment options. I'm considering learning Islamic Meditation (Muraqaba) which is the meditation in the name of Allah. It will be much better I think.

Thanks,
Usman.
There may not be a lot of fatwas because not many people look into it. As muslims we turn to Allah first and foremost using salaah, quran, du'a, and dhikr as a means of healing ourselves. I did mention to you that it comes from hindu roots so I'm not surprised that it was a bit dodgy.

Thanks for the update. I'm sure anyone looking into this will find your posts helpful. Jazak Allahu khair. I hope you are feeling better btw.

muslim brother
10-12-2016, 02:42 PM
transcendental meditation....compare it to zikr...muraqabah...salah....and a state of fanaa...and which came first

because we have failed to communicate so many aspects of islamic character ,spirituality and social dealings in to the real world ,
we have become guilty of masses of theory and literature but with very little mainstream practice..like donkeys carrying books.

then we wonder why we are in such a pitiful state.

we desperately need to learn to communicate in the mainstream and in terms of human issues as fellow citizens and not as some "other " beings ,urgently and effectively .

Islam is not just for practice inside the mosques and inside our homes .
also Islam is not just a collection of physical actions or clothing but an enlightened mindset and a contributing and beneficial force in the world

any ways i recently noticed a new buzz word/term,no thanks to a certain .. russell brand..

the term was ..transcendental meditation.

after having researched it ,my conclusion is that it is really a re branding..aah..of islamic spiritually..coincidence..as russell brand has also re..branded..aah..himself...apologies for excrutiating puns..

some islamic terminology.... and then you decide

muraaqabah..meditation....letting go...letting God..ALLAH taala does in totality....also a phrase used by late american comedian bill hicks..yes i am old and have lived an interesting life..

tasawwuf or tazkiyya is self improvement
some complete timeout a few times a day. t.m. ....sounds like salah ,zikr
salah times require a complete detachment from whatever you are doing to rush to allah taala...as ultimately all the results of all our efforts and exertions lie only with him. once again ...t.m.
salah is leaving the world behind for small periods a minimum of 5 times per day...t.m...
to accept a total negation of power and complete submission to his will
salah..zikr..muraqabah ..all remind us of our powerlessness,the need for constant redirection and guidance from allah taala...t.m...

transcendtal meditation is salah /zikr/timeout
islamic in its entirety

available to all ..peace

no trademark

http://ahmedpateldewsbury.blogspot.co.uk/

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.