/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Hijab Isn't For Perfect People

noraina
05-29-2016, 04:10 PM
Assalamu Alaykum,

Yasmin Mogahed posted this on her Facebook a few days ago. This is something that has been on my mind for a long time - I know I write novels for posts

so I'll just say I agree with this 100%.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay. There is an issue surrounding hijab that I have been observing for many years. And it was finally time to write about it…

So I really hate being lied to. I suppose that’s why it makes me so angry to see the widespread deception caused by shaytan. There is this subtle deceptive tool becoming sooo pervasive—even among practicing people. And I’ve noticed how it plays out with hijab. Okay, before I get into how this trick works, let’s begin with the foundation:

#1. We are on a journey.

#2. Pleasing God is the destination.

#3. Obedience to God is the fuel.

Okay, now watch how this trick works. Shaytan says:

Step 1: “Hijab is a high spiritual *destination*. It is a ‘crown’ you wear once you’ve reached spiritual enlightenment/perfection.”

Step 2: “You aren’t there yet, spiritually.”

Step 3: “Therefore, you shouldn’t wear hijab until you first reach that level of spiritual enlightenment/perfection.” OR “If you already wear hijab, you aren’t at that spiritual level and you aren’t representing Islam well, so you should take it off until you can reach that level.”

Why this is a lie and a logical fallacy:

1. Hijab is NOT a crown you wear once you’ve reached spiritual enlightenment/perfection. Hijab is NOT a spiritual destination. Hijab is *part of the fuel (obedience)* to get there! It is part of the path to get to the destination: God.

2. Therefore, saying that I need to get to my destination (pleasing God), by displeasing God, is a logical fallacy. And that’s exactly the point. Shaytan knows this. It’s like seeing you’re gas tank running empty while driving to Los Angeles, and saying, “I first need to get to my destination, and THEN I’ll fill up with fuel.”

We need fuel *in order* to get to our destination.

Conclusion: Of course hijab is not the *only* fuel that fills the spiritual gas tank! But it is part of it! Why? Because it is part of our obedience to God. And refusing it, is an active and daily disobedience to the One we are trying to reach. Hijab isn’t for perfect people. There are no perfect people. If there’s anything that boils my blood, it’s when people say things like, “She might as well take off her hijab because she did…” Or “She wears *hijab* and she did…” As if the assumption is that once you wear hijab you are announcing to the world that you have become angelic. Hijab is not for angels. Hijab is for flawed, beautiful, humans who are saying every day that they are trying. And there is so much beauty in that struggle. Allah sees it. Even if you're struggling with other things, it could be this act of obedience that Allah accepts! And due to it, may even forgive your other shortcomings! So don't lose hope and belittle any act of obedience--even if you see yourself as so flawed.

Hijab isn’t a destination we get to. Hijab is part of the path. Just like everything else we struggle to do to obey and please God. Hijab is part of the fuel that is helping us reach our destination: God.

Yasmin Mogahed

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
BeTheChange
05-29-2016, 06:37 PM
Walaikumasalaam,

I think this is one of shaytaan's tricks as well.

Don't wear the hijaab because you don't pray your salaah, don't pray your isha salaah because you missed your fajar, don't respect your parents because they don't respect you, don't help your fellow Muslim because he/she never helped you etc and the list goes on & on until we give in.

The hijaab is a fantastic reminder for me Alhamdulilah. Am very aware & conscious of my words, influence & impact on people and whether we like it or not we are representing Islam.

Procrastination & laziness really bothers me. Tomorrow never comes and we must utilise our opportunity this second.

May Allah swt help us Ameen.

Aisha
05-29-2016, 09:58 PM
وعليكم السلام ورحمة الله وبركاته

MashaAllah wonderful post. JazakAllah Khair for sharing it with us.

Qurratul Ayn
05-29-2016, 10:12 PM
:wasalamex

Great post, my Sister noraina! I can feel the frustration from Sister Yasmin Mogahed, it is true what she has written.

The part that stood out for me is when people start having a say about Hijab, and the actions of the girl/woman wearing it. It is so wrong to think a female who wears the Hijab is perfect, pious and flawless. That's totally wrong. We are practising Muslimahs, rather than belittling and judging, helping, advising and guiding should be done by those who nit pick at everything. It is truly a hard world and its people are even more difficult!

Hijab is most certainly a part of improving, becoming better and helping ourselves to stay on the Right Path and getting us closer to Allaah Ta'ala!

Once again, great post, my sister

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.