/* */

PDA

View Full Version : DEAR DESIS...

*charisma*
05-29-2016, 06:59 PM
Assalamu Alaikum

What do you guys like to eat?? Planning on cooking for the Desi brothers here during ramadan inshallah. I can cook anything alhemdulilah, but just need ideas. My Paki friend said that desi's generally don't like middle eastern food because it's not spicy enough, so should I ensure the food is all spicy regardless of what I make or are there only certain dishes that you do like...what do you traditionally eat during ramadan..what are your preferences? I'm sure they're not picky, but I just want it to be special since they are away from their families.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Aisha
05-29-2016, 08:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by *charisma*
Assalamu Alaikum

What do you guys like to eat?? Planning on cooking for the Desi brothers here during ramadan inshallah. I can cook anything alhemdulilah, but just need ideas. My Paki friend said that desi's generally don't like middle eastern food because it's not spicy enough, so should I ensure the food is all spicy regardless of what I make or are there only certain dishes that you do like...what do you traditionally eat during ramadan..what are your preferences? I'm sure they're not picky, but I just want it to be special since they are away from their families.
وعليكم السلام ورحمة الله وبركاته

I'm sorry I can't help much but I wanted to say that this is such a lovely thing to do :wub: :) may Allah reward you well!
Ameen.
I'm sure they're going to appreciate whatever you cook.

noraina
05-29-2016, 08:41 PM
Wa alaykum assalam,

Sis, that is such a sweet thing for you to do, may Allah swt reward you for your kindness.

As sis Aisha said, they would appreciate whatever you cooked for them. Traditionally desis always have pakoras and samosas for iftaar, or a nice meat or vegetable curry, and there's the traditional rice dishes such as biryani of pilaf. Desis do like spicy food, but just next door to them is Afghani cuisine which is quite popular in Pakistani and isn't really chilli - I think the food should just be nicely made and they'd enjoy it.

For dessert, nothing in particular, as long as it is sweet and sugary lol.

Scimitar
05-29-2016, 09:14 PM
butter chicken tandoori chap masala wings falara dikra, :D

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
*charisma*
05-29-2016, 09:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Timi Scar
butter chicken tandoori chap masala wings falara dikra, :D
Butter chicken,
Tandoori,
...now tell me how the rest goes because I've never heard of them ;D

Scimitar
05-29-2016, 09:37 PM
falara dikra is not actually dish, it just means etc etc in Gujurati :D

butter chicken: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a03U45jFxOI

spicy lamb chops: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8GS2BH6v4M

masala wings: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buYbxfZ1PRY

Keep it simple, the lads will be like "what, no biryani?" tell them this isn't their moms place :D

Scimi

*charisma*
05-29-2016, 09:44 PM
I make excellent butter chicken, karahi, nihari, and biryani..but you were throwing all these other words at me and i wasn't prepared haha :omg:

Jazak allahu khair, I'll check out the links..masala wings sound good cuz i have a lot I can use up :)

Scimitar
05-29-2016, 09:51 PM
waaaiiittt... did you say nihari?

so where exactly is this iftar happening? :D

Scimi

*charisma*
05-29-2016, 09:53 PM
;D ;D you're welcome anytime bro..I'll ship you a portion.

Oh yeah and I make haleem, but idk if that's popular?

BtW i don't understand how you guys can eat nihari for breakfast..it's meant to be eaten for breakfast right?? I make it for lunch or dinner :D

Scimitar
05-29-2016, 09:58 PM
well, considering that it's traditionally cooked over a period of nine hours or more, and that - overnight - yeah I think maybe breakfast would be a great time to eat it.

I've never had it for breakfast btw.

*charisma*
05-29-2016, 10:00 PM
Pshhh we're in the beautiful convenient age of pressure cookers...9 hours ;D ;D I get that flavor developing in a fraction of the time.

noraina
05-30-2016, 01:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by *charisma*
Pshhh we're in the beautiful convenient age of pressure cookers...9 hours I get that flavor developing in a fraction of the time.
I know, lol, my mother can make it in a couple of hours with the pressure cooker - and it tastes the same! I am not fond of meat at all, but I love the stew with naan....and it only tastes good for breakfast :D I don't like it at any other time.

A food that is very popular amongst desis is paya, I'm sorry but I don't understand at all why people like it so much.

btw, Haleem is a *huge* favourite, they'd love that.

ardianto
05-31-2016, 04:11 AM
Interaction between Javanese people (my ethnic) and Indian people happened in the era of Hinduism. That's why Javanese culture strongly influenced by Hinduism. However, Javanese cuisine is totally different than Indian cuisine.

Different than Minang people in western Sumatra, which their interaction with Indian people happened in the era of Islam, since their port became the entrance gate for Indian Muslim migrants. Minang cuisine strongly influenced by Indian cuisine that we know nowadays.

Frankly, after I noticed this fact I began to thinking that Indian cuisine which we know nowadays actually was influenced by Arab cuisine that came to India together with Islam.

But this is just an opinion. Okay?.

darullemon
06-24-2016, 12:05 AM
One thing I can say is doesn't matter what you make or how it tastes. We desis don't complain about Free Food.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.