/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Wearing Niqab after first Child

HappyMuslimaa
06-02-2016, 09:16 AM
Asalamu alaiykum

Short backstory: After I got married, I suggested to my husband that I begin to cover my face but he said he wouldn't want that because of where we live (in the US), if we lived in a Islamic country then he would like this. I mentioned it a few times after that, but I never was pressed the issue.

So now I come to you, Islamic Board, for your thoughts on wearing niqab in the US, whether or not that should factor in to a decision, etc.

Inshallah if Allah swt blesses us with a child I plan on pressing this matter forward with my husband and pray he gets on board because it is something I would like to do for my iman and to please Allah swt.

Jazallah khayr for your replies

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
*charisma*
06-02-2016, 03:39 PM
Assalamu Alaikum

Mashallah sister, i think that it's wonderful that you feel keen on wearing the niqaab. If you feel very strongly about it, you should go for it. You don't have to take your husband's permission because you're doing this for the sake of Allah. If he feels it's unsafe for you to wear the niqaab in the US then he should migrate to an area where it's safe for you to practice your religion as you please. However, the US is pretty safe overall and you have freedom of religion, and with time you will notice that tolerance builds up and they get used to it. There are actually muslimahs that wear the niqaab but they are scattered around. You may even encourage other muslimahs to wear the niqaab. Allah is the best of protectors, and if allah forbid anything happened to you because you chose to obey Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala then may it be in the cause of Allah and may He accept you from among the shuhadaa and the highest ranks of paradise ameen. If you have the confidence and iman, then don't let your husband hold you back. May Allah make it easy for you.

Ummshareef
06-02-2016, 04:29 PM
Wa alaikum assalam sister,

It would be a lovely thing to do, especially as you feel it would help with your iman and bring pleasure to Allah subhanahu wa ta'alaa. I live in London and the heartwarming sight of a niqaabi mum pushing baby in a pushchair is commonplace nowadays mashallah. We all have a duty to identify ourselves as Muslimahs and surely there is no better way than by wearing the niqaab, just as the wives of the Prophet sallallahu alaihi wasallam did. With regard to your husband, it seems that he is supportive in principle, just concerned for you about wearing it in the US. I would just tell him that even if it brings a few difficulties your struggle will be rewarded in sha'Allah and that you really want to do it for the sake of Allah subhanahu wa ta'alaa and for your own protection.

I wouldn't necessarily feel you need to wait until you have a child in sha'Allah to take this forward sis. May Allah reward you.

Bhabha
06-02-2016, 06:54 PM
Do not wear the niqab in the United States. People are so horribly racist and discriminatory.

You bring attention to yourself, which is opposite what the niqab is supposed to do.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Aisha
06-02-2016, 07:12 PM
السّلام عليكم ورحمة الله وبركاته

Wonderful advice given by sisters above MashaAllah.

I feel it's a huge shame that the non-Muslims I know are far more supportive and tolerant of the Niqab than some Muslims.

May Allah guide us all to do what's right. Ameen.

I've moved off-topic posts to a new thread. Kindly remember that the sister is asking for advice, not a debate.

ukmuslimah
06-02-2016, 10:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by *charisma*
Assalamu Alaikum

. Allah is the best of protectors, and if allah forbid anything happened to you because you chose to obey Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala then may it be in the cause of Allah and may He accept you from among the shuhadaa and the highest ranks of paradise ameen. If you have the confidence and iman, then don't let your husband hold you back. May Allah make it easy for you.
That's how I feel. How can you feel unsafe when you are doing something purely out of obedience to Allah? The only time you should be fearful is when you are disobeying Him, because then you have forsaken His protection. I find it funny how people are worried about the niqab attracting abuse, yet they are not worried about the women who do not observe proper Hijab. A woman in niqaab or proper hijaab is under the protection of Allah, regardless of what happens but a woman who has compromised her Hijaab to look inconspicous or pleasing to the Kuffar has taken her trust out of Allah and put her trust in herself. That's when you should worry.

I don't know what it's like in the US but unless there is an real, imminent threat agaisnt the niqaab, I don't think you should let that affect your decision. You'll be surprised, non muslims are lot more tolerant and accepting than we think.

ukmuslimah
06-02-2016, 10:53 PM
*Also, I'm not commenting on whether you should over run your husbands decision. That depends on whether you take the niqaab to be fardh or mustahaab.

~ Sabr ~
06-03-2016, 01:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Bhabha
Do not wear the niqab in the United States. People are so horribly racist and discriminatory.

You bring attention to yourself, which is opposite what the niqab is supposed to do.
Agreed.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.