/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Muhammad Ali dies aged 74.

EgyptPrincess
06-04-2016, 04:40 AM

"Muhammad Ali, the silver-tongued boxer and civil rights champion who famously proclaimed himself "The Greatest" and then spent a lifetime living up to the billing, is dead.
Ali died Friday at a Phoenix-area hospital, where he had spent the past few days being treated for respiratory complications, a family spokesman confirmed to NBC News. He was 74.

After a 32-year battle with Parkinson's disease, Muhammad Ali has passed away at the age of 74. The three-time World Heavyweight Champion boxer died this evening," Bob Gunnell, a family spokesman, told NBC News. Ali had suffered for three decades from Parkinson's Disease, a progressive neurological condition that slowly robbed him of both his legendary verbal grace and his physical dexterity. A funeral service is planned in his hometown of Louisville, Kentucky. Even as his health declined, Ali did not shy from politics or controversy, releasing a statement in December criticizing Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump's proposal to ban Muslims from entering the United States. We as Muslims have to stand up to those who use Islam to advance their own personal agenda," he said.

More...

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
crimsontide06
06-04-2016, 04:53 AM
RIP

A few things in this article (http://sports.yahoo.com/news/muhamma...042902069.html) that mentioned Islam

Ali had converted to Islam in 1964 after the first of his two wins over Liston, and changed his name from Cassius Clay. He said Islam was a religion of peace and that he had no desire to engage in combat with those who'd done him or his family no harm.

For the rest of his life Ali worked to promote the cause of peace and charity. In December 2015, he condemned ISIS and took a shot at Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump (without mentioning Trump's name) when Trump suggested temporarily banning all Muslims from entering the U.S.

After the terrorist shootings in San Bernardino, Ali released a statement through his publicist. The headline said, "Statement From Muhammad Ali Regarding Presidential Candidates Proposing to Ban Muslim Immigration to the United States."

"I am a Muslim and there is nothing Islamic about killing innocent people in Paris, San Bernardino or anywhere else in the world," Ali said in the statement. "True Muslims know that the ruthless violence of so-called Islamic Jihadists goes against the very tenets of our religion.

"We as Muslims have to stand up to those who use Islam to advance their own personal agenda. They have alienated many from learning about Islam. True Muslims know or should know that it goes against our religion to try and force Islam on anybody.

"Speaking as someone who has never been accused of political correctness, I believe that our political leaders should use their position to bring understanding about the religion of Islam and clarify that these misguided murderers have perverted people's views on what Islam really is."

EgyptPrincess
06-04-2016, 05:09 AM
From everything I know about Muhammad Ali he is surely one of the most influential and respected people of the 20th century. He did indeed revert to Islam and I'm sure he inspired many people to look into Islam, may Allah grant him paradise. :love:

TheLostSoul
06-04-2016, 05:23 AM
May Allah forgive him and give him paradise :)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
strivingobserver98
06-04-2016, 05:28 AM
No athlete in sports history has been revered as much as Muhammad Ali. May Allah grant him the highest abode in Jannah, ameen.

"But the truth is, he's remarkably humble; and it's not an artificial humility. As far as using ego in the sense of a Hollywood actor or some superstar athlete who's puffed up by his fame and self-importance, there's none of that... Ron Borges: 'l looked up, and there was Ali getting on the bus. And the first thing Ali did when he got on was reach out and shake hands with everyone... Ali opens his arms right up...People don't have to approach him. He approaches them, and makes them feel comfortable.'"
(Thomas Hauser, 2011)

"I am proud to be a Muslim. Islam has made me feel like a free man."
(Washington Post, 1964)

"I don’t want anyone to feel sorry for me, because I had a good life before and I’m having a good life now... Sometimes I think that too many people put me on a pedestal before and made me into an idol. And that’s against Islam; there are no idols in Islam. So maybe this problem I have is God’s way of reminding me and everyone else about what’s important. I accept it as God’s will. And I know that God never gives anyone a burden that’s too heavy for them to carry."
(Ottawa Citizen, 1991)

ardianto
06-04-2016, 07:11 AM
"No!. The Greatest is Allah"
(What Muhammad Ali always said when people called him The Greatest)

Inna lillahi wa inna ilaihi rajioon. May Allah gives him beautiful place in jannah.

BeTheChange
06-04-2016, 08:03 AM
Asalamualykum,

What a sad day and what a beautiful blessed time to day!!

2 days away from Ramadan Subhana Allah.

Ameen to all the duas. May Allah swt make the next life easy for him and keep his soul in peace Ameen.

noraina
06-04-2016, 08:28 AM
This was sad news to wake up to, he was a legend I grew up hearing about, and not just in terms of boxing. The way he stood up for his rights and his religion was amazing.

Inna lillahi wa inna ilayhi raji'oon. May Allah swt grant him the highest station in Jannah. Allahumma ameen.

EgyptPrincess
06-04-2016, 11:13 AM
"God gave me this illness to remind me that I am not number one, he is" Allah akbar! this brought tears to my eyes. Subhanallah!

A man that had every right to gloat and be egotistical but he never was. He never saw himself as more or a better man than any other. This is how Islam can change a man.

Idol is a misleading word though, we don't idolise him, we respect him for being such a great human being, even when powdered in fame and money. Truly an inspiration in my opinion.

*charisma*
06-04-2016, 02:05 PM
Assalamu alaikum

Inna lillahi wa inna ilahi rajioon. May Allah have mercy on him and grant him jannah.

He was truly an incredible muslim and now an unforgettable figure in history.

anatolian
06-04-2016, 02:21 PM
Yes He was an inspiration for all and for muslims indeed. May he rest in peace in Jannah.

Serinity
06-04-2016, 03:01 PM
:salam:

greenhill
06-04-2016, 04:46 PM
One of a kind.

A real talent with a brain to match.

My most favourite sports personality.

Inalillahiwa inailaihirojioon. Al fatihah.

BlackFlags
06-05-2016, 10:57 AM
He was a humble man.

Umm Abed
06-05-2016, 05:15 PM
May Allah swt raise his status and give him Jannatul Firdaus ameen.

AbdurRahman.
06-08-2016, 04:10 PM
inna lillahi wa inna ilayhi rajiounnn!!!

what great a pious man maashAllah!!!

may Allah grant him jannah ameeen

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.