/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Do you travel during Ramadan?

*charisma*
06-04-2016, 06:31 PM
Assalamu Alaikum

Do any of you travel during ramadan to see how it's spent in other countries??

Or can you tell me about the Ramadan traditions of your own country?

In the US, every lady in my family would make a dish and we'd meet up at one of their houses and have a beautiful meal. The men will eat and then go for taraweeh, and us girls would help out with the cleaning and preparing desserts. Then late at night my siblings and I would talk about Islam and just spend time together, and my parents would tell us about ramadan when they were growing up, or we'd continue the family gatherings at my grandparents house.

This is my first ramadan spent in KSA and it seems every store has a ramadan special where food goes on sale and people are buying in bulk ;D Masjids here prepare food for people as well and there are tents put up for the poor to enjoy ramadan and iftar. I still have to experience it for myself, so I'm excited to see what it will be like..not excited about the weather though :phew

I spent Ramadan in Turkey (Istanbul & Trabzon) once and it was really beautiful. They put up lights along the streets, and I remember they had little flags of Turkey and Palestine hung up around the square and it made me feel warm inside that they were thinking of Palestine. They had a huge tent up with various activities and arts for people to watch and buy. The iftar food was fantastic too btw.

I hope to experience ramadan somewhere new again in the future inshallah.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
noraina
06-06-2016, 12:02 PM
Wa alaykum assalam,

I certainly don't envy the heat, lol, but I have heard many Muslims say that when they spend Ramadan in a Muslim country it is an entirely different, yet amazing, experience, one I hope to experience one day. Lucky you :D.

Around my area there aren't many Muslims :( And most of my family is in America/Canada so it is just our little family really. There are a couple of Muslim families and we will try to have iftaar together at least a few times during Ramadan. We very frequently send dishes to each other, and by dishes I mean a full three-course meal including starters, main and dessert. :o

It is quiet where I live, but that special Ramadan feeling is there wherever you may be in the world, that atmosphere that this is a blessed and sacred month kinda follows you around as a Muslim who is fasting, and it is certainly a time of increased spirituality and taqwa and community, however small it is.

InshaAllah it is my goal to experience Ramadan in some amazing and interesting places in future, my mom says that can wait till you're married, then you can go wherever you like ;D.

Arfa
06-13-2016, 07:28 PM
The spirit of Ramadan is felt mostly in Muslim countries .As for experience I have spent a great amount of time in KSA and it ive observed it to be a quiet month of year as more emphasis is on ta-ra weeh prayer,the Shurtas or police forces were really keen on sending any roaming car during tarawee time to masjid.SubhanAllah usual iftar and sehri invites are there too.In Pakistan it's usually about dishes sending to neighbours and invites from friends.A lot of people arrange iftar dishes in mosques too.Ramadan is such a blissful month I really don't know about European countries how muslims spend ramadan over there but would want to see that if I have a chance ....:)

Scimitar
06-13-2016, 10:36 PM
If I ever get the chance to visit again, my PP is getting torn up and I'm going illegal alien in the hijaaz - I have a right to be there according to Islam, yet according to the Saud - naaaat. :D

EDIT: I have to ask, is anyone else feeling an incredible urge to be somewhere on the road between Makkah and Medina? I've not been able to really entertain any other dream except this one. Allahu Alam. I feel a calling that I cannot ignore. Anyone with me on this?

EDIT 2: my last visit to the Hejaaz was exactly ten years ago in ramadhan for the whole month - 8 days in medina and the rest in makkah, including Eid and then some days later I came home. It rained in Makkah, torrential, kaaba was flooded almost knee deep - epic, I was awoken by the shaking of the hotel by thunder - and I thought this was it - end game, so I quickly got showered, did wudhu and left with my hisnul Muslim book so I could read the dua when one sees a dark cloud approaching - same dua our nabi pbuh made. I saw many people standing there around the kaaba making dua - it felt soooo surreal even after being there for a whole month.

Ah, the memories - the rain, brain coloured. The thunder, like something remembering something. Just epic.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
*charisma*
06-14-2016, 01:03 AM
Assalamu Alaikum

format_quote Originally Posted by noraina
Around my area there aren't many Muslims And most of my family is in America/Canada so it is just our little family really. There are a couple of Muslim families and we will try to have iftaar together at least a few times during Ramadan. We very frequently send dishes to each other, and by dishes I mean a full three-course meal including starters, main and dessert.
Yup that's how it was growing up for me too. We didn't have many Muslims around except for like my family lol I used to envy the UKers who had large Muslim communities, but alhemdulilah I'm kind of glad to have found Islam on my own in a way without the negative (cultural) influence of other Muslims.

format_quote Originally Posted by noraina
InshaAllah it is my goal to experience Ramadan in some amazing and interesting places in future, my mom says that can wait till you're married, then you can go wherever you like .
;D ;D they all say that. May allah bless you with a wonderful husband who will show you the world..like aladdin and jasmine :p IIII WILL SHOW YOU THE WORLDDDD...

format_quote Originally Posted by Arfa
The spirit of Ramadan is felt mostly in Muslim countries .As for experience I have spent a great amount of time in KSA and it ive observed it to be a quiet month of year as more emphasis is on ta-ra weeh prayer,the Shurtas or police forces were really keen on sending any roaming car during tarawee time to masjid.SubhanAllah usual iftar and sehri invites are there too.In Pakistan it's usually about dishes sending to neighbours and invites from friends.A lot of people arrange iftar dishes in mosques too.Ramadan is such a blissful month I really don't know about European countries how muslims spend ramadan over there but would want to see that if I have a chance ....
I agree..the thing I love about KSA so far is the warmth of seeing people fill up the mosques and pray.

format_quote Originally Posted by Timi Scar
If I ever get the chance to visit again, my PP is getting torn up and I'm going illegal alien in the hijaaz - I have a right to be there according to Islam, yet according to the Saud - naaaat.
;D You know they will have a green card service started so people can work and live there.

EDIT: I have to ask, is anyone else feeling an incredible urge to be somewhere on the road between Makkah and Medina? I've not been able to really entertain any other dream except this one. Allahu Alam. I feel a calling that I cannot ignore. Anyone with me on this?
I went earlier this year, can't wait to go again inshallah.
EDIT 2: my last visit to the Hejaaz was exactly ten years ago in ramadhan for the whole month - 8 days in medina and the rest in makkah, including Eid and then some days later I came home. It rained in Makkah, torrential, kaaba was flooded almost knee deep - epic, I was awoken by the shaking of the hotel by thunder - and I thought this was it - end game, so I quickly got showered, did wudhu and left with my hisnul Muslim book so I could read the dua when one sees a dark cloud approaching - same dua our nabi pbuh made. I saw many people standing there around the kaaba making dua - it felt soooo surreal even after being there for a whole month.
My wish is to experience hajj when it rains :D someday inshallah. May Allah except your deeds ameen.

walzkwani
06-27-2016, 09:50 AM
Wa alaykum assalam,

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.