/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Hello

jabeady
06-05-2016, 08:48 PM
I am a white male, raised a fundamentalist Lutheran, but now I am an atheist. I prefer to call myself an Unbeliever because "atheist" is beginning to take on a meaning that I don't want to be associated with.
I came looking for an Islamic forum because I have managed to live more than 66 years without ever meeting any followers of Islam . To my memory, by the time I graduated high school I had met one Roman Catholic, two Jews, one Chinese-American and one African-American. Otherwise, everyone in my world was White, Anglo-Saxon and Protestant. This, in one of the major industrial cities of America. Things improved when I enlisted and began to meet all kinds of ethnicities. Even then, however, no Muslims. Then came 9/11. At the time, I was living in Vermont, the whitest state in the nation. The Internet was becoming a major social presence, and I began to learn how perfectly sane people can turn into raving lunatics in times of crisis. Example, a friend of my mother forwarded to everyone in her address book an email that claimed to quote Surah 9, verse 11 (get it? 9/11), to the effect that the faithful would regret attacking "the Eagle." I did some Googling, found out what Surah 9, verse 11 actually said, and wrote back to her telling her exactly what I thought. My mother never heard from her friend again. Then I lost a few friends of my own when it seemed like I was the only one I knew who refused to hold all Muslims responsible for the acts of a comparative few. I really hate bigotry. Even now, 15 years later, I still run into idiots who want to know why Muslims haven't denounced terrorism, and refuse to believe me when I tell them the Council on American-Islamic Relations and other major Muslim organizations have done just that. When I point out that the terrorists have killed thousands more Muslims than non-Muslims, they often reply with "Serves them right." To be fair, however, I pay attention to the news and I've been reading this board for a couple of days now, and it seems there are a lot of Muslims who feel the same about the West in general, and America in particular (I also see similar attitudes regarding atheists). In all cases, Muslim, non-Muslim, whatever, these attitudes seem to be fueled by comparable amounts of ignorance, misinformation and misinterpretation (and the different languages don't help).

So here I am. I finally got around to seeking out the source, where I could ask questions and find out for myself. I did, way back when, locate a Muslim forum, but I guess it was too soon after 9/11. That attempt just didn't work out. Anyway, I've got lots of questions.

BTW, I'm writing this on a laptop, on the web site. Until now, I've been reading the forum on my phone via Tapatalk. I think I have two accounts, one for the computer and web site, and one for the phone and Tapatalk. The web site wouldn't let me log in with the phone's userid (jabeady1) and password, so I had to register again. Is this going to be a problem?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
AabiruSabeel
06-05-2016, 09:05 PM
Hello and welcome to IslamicBoard. It is nice to see you on board.

We hope you will enjoy a beneficial stay with us.

drac16
06-05-2016, 09:43 PM
Welcome!

A lot of people come here for the same reason you have. I think it's commendable that you have come here to find out more instead of swallowing all the hearsay about what Islam is, what it says and how it works. I hope you enjoy your time here! :D

Pygoscelis
06-08-2016, 03:46 AM
Hey! New atheist guy! These are our Muslims! Go find your own!

LOL I kid I kid. Welcome to the forum. You'll find a lot of fairminded and friendly Muslim folks here. A few not so much, but ignore those ones ;D

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Cpt.America
06-08-2016, 04:14 AM
Welcome to IB my man.
I hope that you enjoy your time here!

Cpt.America
06-08-2016, 04:15 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pygoscelis
Hey! New atheist guy! These are our Muslims! Go find your own!

LOL I kid I kid. Welcome to the forum. You'll find a lot of fairminded and friendly Muslim folks here. A few not so much, but ignore those ones ;D
Lol was that a Key and Peele reference?

eesa the kiwi
06-08-2016, 05:55 AM
welcome
feel free to make a thread with your questions, alhamdulilah we are quite a friendly bunch here so inshaallah you will find your stay beneficial

also have a look at this site as they have some basic (yet good) articles on islam that i hope you will find useful
www.islamreligion.com

greenhill
06-08-2016, 10:03 AM
Welcome to the forum.

Bigots will be bigots. They are not limited to just white men...

Wishing you a great stay..

:peace:

jabeady
06-10-2016, 06:28 PM
Thanks, gang. I'm not worried about any hostility. After 20+ years online, I've survived a lot of flame wars. I've also learned the value of just walking away.

Aisha
06-10-2016, 07:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by jabeady
Thanks, gang. I'm not worried about any hostility. After 20+ years online, I've survived a lot of flame wars. I've also learned the value of just walking away.
Now, if only every member thought this way.. :shade:

Welcome to the forum. I hope you enjoy your time here.

sister herb
06-10-2016, 07:36 PM
Welcome to forum.

*charisma*
06-10-2016, 08:21 PM
Hello

Welcome to the forum :D Thanks for sharing your story with us. I think Muslims are everywhere it's just not as obvious unless you spot a woman wearing hijab or a guy wearing a kufi lol. But we all come in all sorts of shades and levels of faith, so you may have been around some but for whatever reason they weren't open about it? In any case, I commend you for looking into another faith and wanting to learn more about is instead of believing all the negativity in the media.

Hope you enjoy your stay. I look forward to seeing your questions, just please remember to be respectful so we can all benefit from fruitful discussions. :)

format_quote Originally Posted by jabeady
BTW, I'm writing this on a laptop, on the web site. Until now, I've been reading the forum on my phone via Tapatalk. I think I have two accounts, one for the computer and web site, and one for the phone and Tapatalk. The web site wouldn't let me log in with the phone's userid (jabeady1) and password, so I had to register again. Is this going to be a problem?
I'll check about the issues in regards to your account in a moment.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!