/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Do you have to accept the Sunnah?

Helikido
06-09-2016, 06:53 AM
Hey everyone,

Now to be a Muslim, do you have to accept the Sunna?

Let me know what you guys think.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
noraina
06-09-2016, 07:56 AM
Assalamu alaykum

You do, the Sunnah is essential to understanding and following properly the commandments of the Qur'an, the Qur'an itself tells us to follow his teachings. He is the final Messenger, the most perfect in character and excellent in conduct, so it makes sense to follow his teachings to gain closeness to Allah swt.

"Verily in the messenger of Allah you have a good example for him who looks unto Allah and the Last Day, and remembers Allah much." 33:21

Here's an example, the Qur'an tells the believers to pray and makes it obligatory upon us, and then the Sunnah of the Prophet (pbuh) teaches us the positions and prayers we recite in salah.

Helikido
06-09-2016, 04:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by noraina
Assalamu alaykum

You do, the Sunnah is essential to understanding and following properly the commandments of the Qur'an, the Qur'an itself tells us to follow his teachings. He is the final Messenger, the most perfect in character and excellent in conduct, so it makes sense to follow his teachings to gain closeness to Allah swt.

"Verily in the messenger of Allah you have a good example for him who looks unto Allah and the Last Day, and remembers Allah much." 33:21

Here's an example, the Qur'an tells the believers to pray and makes it obligatory upon us, and then the Sunnah of the Prophet (pbuh) teaches us the positions and prayers we recite in salah.
Thank you for getting back to me. Here is one thing I don't understand. The Sunnah and Shia are both different interpretations of the Quran. People choose which interpretation makes sense to them, and then they follow it.

My personal opinion is that the Quran can be interpreted in different ways, and that god has purposely made it that way. So infact, the Sunnah and Shia are both not obligatory, because they are NOT the Quran.

I think that the Sunnah and Shia only exist to cause seperation between muslims, and that over time it has been altered, diluted, and has lost it's original meaning. Allah (SWT) has sworn to protect his words and the Quran. So to me, the only guaranteed source of worship is the Quran, not the Sunnah and Shia.

Not only that, but sometimes I think it's an offense to Allah (SWT) when people start to impose their interpretation on others and saying this is what is right and wrong. Just think about it. The creator of the universe wrote the Quran! The creator! Your creator! Why does a perfect book such as the Quran need human assistance? Doesn't make sense right?

muslimah_B
06-09-2016, 09:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Helikido
Thank you for getting back to me. Here is one thing I don't understand. The Sunnah and Shia are both different interpretations of the Quran. People choose which interpretation makes sense to them, and then they follow it.

My personal opinion is that the Quran can be interpreted in different ways, and that god has purposely made it that way. So infact, the Sunnah and Shia are both not obligatory, because they are NOT the Quran.

I think that the Sunnah and Shia only exist to cause seperation between muslims, and that over time it has been altered, diluted, and has lost it's original meaning. Allah (SWT) has sworn to protect his words and the Quran. So to me, the only guaranteed source of worship is the Quran, not the Sunnah and Shia.

Not only that, but sometimes I think it's an offense to Allah (SWT) when people start to impose their interpretation on others and saying this is what is right and wrong. Just think about it. The creator of the universe wrote the Quran! The creator! Your creator! Why does a perfect book such as the Quran need human assistance? Doesn't make sense right?
Allah explicitly tells us to follow the teachings and saying of prophet mohammed s.a.w, like sister noraina posted one of the verses telling us this.
In the Quran it tells us to pray but not how to, thats where the sunnah comes in and tells us how to pray.
There are many other things where the sunnah EXPLAINS and goes into more detail, gives rulings on certain issues
Any rulings or teachings in the sunnah come directly from the Quran and for anybody to deny the sunnah is denying the Quran, as i said before Allah tells us to follow Mohammed s.a.w , he s.a.w said to follow his companions when he passed away, and only some where actually able to give rulings (fatwas)
Just as the Quran has been protected and preserved so have the hadeeths, which go through very rigorous inspections to make sure of their authenticity and are graded upon very strict measures,
They are graded as follows
Sahih - (absolutely authentic, no unbroken chain of narrators, each narrator is a strong narrator, no hidden cause to think hadeeth is weak)
Hasan - not as good as authentic
Dheef - weak (maybe narrator was known to have bad memory or has lied once)
Mawdhu - fabricated or a lie

Shia are completely different and some are considerd kaffir as they curse some of the companions of mohammed s.a.w and his wife Aisha r.a and if this is the case they are kaffir. (Not all are like this but many are known for this)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.