/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Ramadan Traditions for Married Couples

strivingobserver98
06-12-2016, 05:39 PM

1) Compete for serving each other a date or sip of water first.

2) Pray together more often when possible in the home.

3) Resist the temptation to chat during the time for dhikr after Salah. Support each other in finishing it.

4) Make sure to spend ten minutes hugging or touching before bedtime so that the exhaustion of fasting and taraweeh doesn't create too much separation between both of you. Touch is to be treasured for married couples.

5) Ask each other your Ramadan goals so you can be a source of compassion, support, and understanding for their greatest spiritual needs.

6) When things get sluggish, be the one who encourages with love to keep going and doing extra acts of worship.

7) Tune in: when you miss your spouse let them know verbally. It's ok to find the extra time away a little difficult. Use
Fearless Vulnerability to let them know so their heart can catch up with yours. Just don't let the space lead to frustration and tension.

8) Find ways to show more gratitude for each other. Make du'a for them verbally, drop an email, or leave a small note.

9) Welcome your spouse's desire to change rather than hold them to their "normal self." If they want Qur'an in the car
vs. music, to attend the masjid for prayer vs. stay at home, allow the newness to be welcomed.

10) Avoid shaming for who they are when they aren't as religious in one area as you'd prefer. Ramadan doesn't make a miracle change out of most of us. For one spouse, just fasting itself could be extremely difficult. For another, it's praying Fajr on time. One spouse may recite the whole Qur'an with ease, but another finds dhikr easiest for them to do. Whatever you say - make sure your intention is to show love, respect, gratitude, or support for your spouse this coming month and be a positive person in their life.

*That alone is one of the greatest forms of da'wah you could ever hope for, and who better to be your best self to than your own spouse?*

May Allah bless us all to find His infinite Mercy in Ramadan and find the fruits of those days in a cool Shade on the Day of Judgment, in the ability to fly over the sirat radiating beautiful light, and a celebration of pure joy and bliss with those we love in gardens in Jannah, with rivers, fields of green, towering trees, and other unimaginable beauty that Allah has created for those who seek Him.

Source: Wives of Jannah

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
strivingobserver98
06-12-2016, 05:42 PM
Romantic Ramadan

I have a distinct memory of my husband and I holding hands as we drive to Tarawih prayers. He is wearing a crisp white thobe and, as we drive along the freeway, a cool breeze drifts in through the windows. He recites Qur’an along the way, a soft recitation just audible above the humming sounds of cars and trucks outside. Such a moment is so simple, yet I can still remember the feeling in my hands, and it makes me smile every time.

Ramadan can be a beautiful month for you to connect with your spouse, to utilize the safe haven it provides away from Shaytan, with the increased remembrance of Allah, and the increased levels of worship taking place in your lives together. Unfortunately, this month becomes thirty days of frustration and resentment simmering beneath the surface because couples fail to create a focused goal they are both striving towards together.

In this article I am going to tackle some key areas of tension Muslim couples face in Ramadan and practical solutions to tackle them, insha’Allah.

Less Food, More Worship!

I find iftaar time really special with my husband. The kids and I set out the dates, start filling up cups with water, and we all wait together for Maghrib to arrive. I think it is an honor to hand my husband a date and glass of water for him to break his fast with, to rush to serve him, and share in the quiet space while we make du’a upon breaking our fast. The evening is quiet outside, the sky is beautiful, and we pray Maghrib together as a family. There is no rush, and as we all sit down at the table, after a busy day that took place while fasting, we reconnect and relax over a hot meal before preparing to leave for Tarawih prayers.

In many households, however, iftaar time is stressful and definitely not spiritual. One of the main reasons for this is hosting large and regular iftaar parties in the home. While it is wonderful to earn the reward of feeding those who are fasting, honestly, this trend of having to host and entertain to exhaustion has to stop. This practice affects mainly women because they are the ones expected to do all the cooking, cleaning, and prep work involved for hosting large iftaar parties. It robs a wife of time and energy better spent in greater acts of worship, and creates a strain between her and her husband. She often feels overwhelmed with the amount of work involved, with whiny children in the background who are getting ignored. There is no time to connect with her husband, her children, or feel loved and appreciated because both are busy running around for guests and, once meal time is over, her husband is out the door for Tarawih, leaving her to do the clean up. Do this once, maybe twice in the entire month of Ramadan, on a weekend when there is more time to help each other out, but not throughout the week or on a regular basis.

The goal of Ramadan is less food and more worship! You can entertain friends all year long – and cook for them whatever you would like – but this month is a time to recharge your “iman battery,” to have extra time to reflect on your character, and to cultivate new spiritual practices.

Too many social gatherings not only prevent you from this extra time, they also keep you away from your spouse. “But we live together, we have all year to spend time together,” you might be thinking. Let’s look at this the other way around: You have all year to spend time with friends, but only this one month to revisit what marriage means at its highest level, to strive the hardest in honoring and serving your spouse, this beautiful human being put into your life, the person that allowed you to complete half your deen. You both desperately need time to reconnect on what matters most, to realign yourselve as individuals, then as a couple, with the greatet purpose of your beating heart, which is to worship Allah subḥānahu wa ta'āla (glorified and exalted be He) with every action.

Serve each other, donate together, recite Qur’an near one another. Hold hands, share long hugs, make du’a for each other, even kiss one another while fasting as our beloved Prophet ṣallallāhu 'alayhi wa sallam (peace and blessings of Allāh be upon him) was reported to have done with Aisha while he was fasting. Put each other and your family first before the rest of the world. Soon enough, the fast pace of life will return, Shaytan will be back trying to interfere in your happiness, and the energy of this beautiful month will slowly fade.

Having focused on each other and on your love and commitment to one another, as well as to fear Allah in the way you treat each other, to seek His pleasure in the way you love your wife and respect your husband—the barakah of this month will continue in your marriage throughout the year insha Allah.

And that is true romance isn’t it? Love, affection, words. and touch all with the remembrance of Allah, with the angels busy writing down each exchanged glance and kind word between the both of you, preparing for you a palace in Jannah.

Source: http://productivemuslim.com/ramadan-...#ixzz4BO7shSuT

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.