/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Islamic Upbringing of Children

darullemon
06-13-2016, 07:22 PM
Assalamu Aliekum,

I searched for a thread to see if there was an ongoing discussion on Islamic Upbringing of Children, couldn't find one; hence I am starting this.

Wanted to ask to Parents and new parents to share tips on how do we get started on Islamic upbringing of Kids.

This is something I would like to implement.

1) Tawheed. Emphasizing on worshiping only Allah(SWT)
2) Teaching about Seerah and Sahabas. Make our Prophets and Companions heroes in their eyes so that they emulate them.
3) Praise and admonish them when they do right and wrong.
4) Teach them Quran, start small likes surahs 90-114.
5) Pray with them at home and take them to Masjid.

Do share if you have any, also if you have any good books for kids.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
piXie
06-13-2016, 10:11 PM
:w:

To me, the most important is to set a good example for our children, teach them everything with love, and never underestimate their intelligence and abilities, or dismiss them as "just children" Speak to them and treat them with respect, like you would an adult.

AbdurRahman.
06-13-2016, 10:18 PM
:wa:

I try and do everything listed above, but sometimes am lazy ... so, I employ a teacher to come two days a week and teach them; like this I know at least they'll be learning something every weak! :Emoji51:

*charisma*
06-13-2016, 11:01 PM
Assalaamu Alaikum
format_quote Originally Posted by darullemon
Wanted to ask to Parents and new parents to share tips on how do we get started on Islamic upbringing of Kids.
For the next future generations, you need one of these bad boys:

lol jk jk :D

honestly though, children soak up information like a sponge. You'd be amazed at how fast they memorize information. So I think while they're young, it's essential that they memorize Quran. During the time of the Islamic era, if I remember correctly, 5 year old kids knew 50,000 words just from memorizing quran and learning the deen. At the same age, kids of today only acquire 1,000-2,000 words. The difference subhanallah.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
darullemon
06-13-2016, 11:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by *charisma*

Just from that I am guessing you are from Indo-Pak region.

Yes, my two yr old recites Ikhlas and Naas in her broken words.

*charisma*
06-13-2016, 11:19 PM
Just from that I am guessing you are from Indo-Pak region.

Yes, my two yr old recites Ikhlas and Naas in her broken words.
loool I'm arab, but unless you're white, I think every culture has a way of physically disciplining their kids, from belts, to flip flops, to hangers, to switches ;D

To add to your list though I think it'd be great to teach them languages. I wish I knew how to communicate with other muslims in their mother tongue when I travelled. The best time to acquire new languages is when they're young. Also if the kids go to a western school, you have to teach them about how holidays are haram and fake etc.

darullemon
06-13-2016, 11:21 PM
loool I'm arab, but unless you're white, I think every culture has a way of physically disciplining their kids, from belts, to flip flops, to hangers, to switches ;D

To add to your list though I think it'd be great to teach them languages. I wish I knew how to communicate with other muslims in their mother tongue when I travelled. The best time to acquire new languages is when they're young. Also if the kids go to a western school, you have to teach them about how holidays are haram and fake etc.

My bad, no I am not White, I am desi to the bone. Also, I am guessing what you meant to say is Non-Muslims Festivals and celebrations are Haraam and Fake not Holidays. Holidays are always welcome. If Holidays were haram we will all be working on weekends and eid and what not.

EgyptPrincess
06-13-2016, 11:22 PM
Assalaamu Alaikum

For the next future generations, you need one of these bad boys:

lol jk jk :D

honestly though, children soak up information like a sponge. You'd be amazed at how fast they memorize information. So I think while they're young, it's essential that they memorize Quran. During the time of the Islamic era, if I remember correctly, 5 year old kids knew 50,000 words just from memorizing quran and learning the deen. At the same age, kids of today only acquire 1,000-2,000 words. The difference subhanallah.
My mothers favourite thing to use is a slipper xD Thank god I am too old for it now. I hated it when she use to chase me with that slipper

*charisma*
06-13-2016, 11:25 PM
My bad, no I am not White, I am desi to the bone. Also, I am guessing what you meant to say is Non-Muslims Festivals and celebrations are Haraam and Fake not Holidays. Holidays are always welcome. If Holidays were haram we will all be working on weekends and eid and what not.
Oh why did I think you were a white guy loool you have a white guy vibe going for some reason, sorryy :D

Yes that's what I meant about the holidays. You can make eid fun for them too inshallah.

darullemon
06-13-2016, 11:27 PM
Oh why did I think you were a white guy loool you have a white guy vibe going for some reason, sorryy :D

Yes that's what I meant about the holidays. You can make eid fun for them too inshallah.

Insha'Allah..not sure how fun it is going to be this year for us on eid though due to recent incident. Our Masjids are already receiving threats in our town.

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-...ando-shooting/

*charisma*
06-13-2016, 11:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by EgyptPrincess
My mothers favourite thing to use is a slipper xD Thank god I am too old for it now. I hated it when she use to chase me with that slipper
We used to get the hanger, and then we used to hide under the blankets while gettin beat and fake cry ;D but then we'd laugh too dang hard cuz the fake crying was funny and she'd come back and pull the blankets off...man good times ;D ;D

*charisma*
06-13-2016, 11:31 PM
Insha'Allah..not sure how fun it is going to be this year for us on eid though due to recent incident. Our Masjids are already receiving threats in our town.

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-...ando-shooting/
Inshallah khair. No one can harm any other being except with Allah's will. You can also make it a celebration in your home..have presents set up and decorations. If your kid is only 2 then she probably won't remember it anyways til she's a bit older.

Aisha
06-13-2016, 11:36 PM
I love the products by Learning Roots.. My tiny students always ask for their storybooks lol. The huge jigsaw is great.

https://www.learningroots.com

Children tend to learn a lot through stories, so I've been investing in those too. There are some brilliant Islamic books for kids these days. Of course, it has nothing to do with my book-buying addiction.. :hiding:

Ummshareef
08-02-2016, 11:22 AM
Assalamu aleikum,

In order to guide our children to love and serve Allah subhanahu wa ta'alaa, I believe that our two greatest priorities as parents are firstly to ingrain in our children the habit of regular prayer and secondly help them develop a lifelong desire to study Islam.

We should tell them that salah is their five times daily opportunity to praise Allah subhanahu wa ta'alaa, to thank Him for everything that He has provided and to ask him for forgiveness for our mistakes. We can also make requests to Allah and should understand that He always hears our prayers. Our kids should be taught that He will always respond to our prayers in the way that is best for us, though that may not necessarily be when and how we may expect.

I tell my kids that if we all study Islam every day, we will understand Allah's rules better. If we understand these rules better then we can implement them in our lives. If we implement them in our lives then we are closer to the obedience of Allah. If we are close to the obedience of Allah then we have a better chance of success in this life and of attaining Jannah in sha'Allah. Memorising the Qur'an is key to this, as it fills the mind with beneficial knowledge and the heart with love.

And yes I do agree that discipline has a part to play in all this, as we all occasionally need to be remind our kids that certain acts of worship, including salah and seeking knowledge, are not just for fun but are obligatory in Islam.

greenhill
08-02-2016, 12:26 PM
On hindsight I believe what you say better. Not that I didn't believe before. But just did not have the courage to go against mainstream upbringing which was education first and islam along the way...

:peace:

Little_Lion
08-02-2016, 03:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by czgibson
Greetings,

How about giving them information about many religions and letting them make up their own minds?

Peace
This is how I raise my daughter. Granted, when she was born I was not a Muslim, so she did not grow up in an Islamic household. But as it was a long path that took me to Allah, I figure hers may be long as well. I expose her to Islam, I answer her questions, and we have watched movies such as Muhammad: The Last Prophet together. But there is no compulsion in religion, and I will let her come to it in her own time if she chooses.

Aaqib
08-02-2016, 03:45 PM
removed.

noraina
08-02-2016, 03:57 PM
Assalamu alaykum,

I think it's very natural to want to bring up your child within the folds of Islam. For Muslims Islam is the truth, the key to true happiness and success in both this life and the next, it will guide their every action and protect them from so many harms even if we can't be there - which Muslim parent wouldn't want that for their child? :)

Islam is a complete way of life, and for us the only way of life, it has regulations for every aspect life for guidance and protection, so if you give your children good tarbiyah and bring them up to have faith, they'll be able to live with rules and discipline and knowing that Allah swt is always there for them. Islam has given me so much purpose and comfort, as it has to many Muslims, and I would so want my own children to feel that peace and security.

As for bringing up kids Islamically - I would really emphasise not 'forcing' your children, but explaining to them the beauty of Islam with patience and love. I have seen too many cases with tennagers I have grown up with going completely astray or rebelling against their religion and family because they had parents who were too strict or overbearing. As a child too many times I heard 'you'll be punished for this' or 'sent to hell for this', needless to say it didn't give me a nice impression of our deen at all. I get discipline and sometimes being stern (that applies to everything, manners, education, religion) but overall your kids shouldn't feel they are being forced or they need to 'get away' somehow - in western countries that style of parenting backfires horribly.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.