/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Fasting is NOT about empathizing with the poor

*charisma*
06-15-2016, 06:21 PM
Assalamu Alaikum

One of the biggest lies ever perpetrated and believed by Muslims is the one about the essence or purpose of fasting Ramadan. The popular belief nowadays is that fasting is about commiserating and empathizing with the poor. It is how many Muslims explain the fast to children and to curious non-muslims. This speaks to a dangerous forgetfulness of the fundamentals of Islam and a propagation of a watered-down version of the religion. The fast is NOT about the rich empathizing with the poor. Anyone who has seen how the rich break their fast and how the poor break theirs would know better than to say that. For the first fast-breaking meal in Ramadan, rich and middle class people make a huge meal, equivalent probably to a decent Thanksgiving dinner. The leftovers would feed the family for a week. The poor have to fast the same long hours, work hard to earn their bread during the fast, and break their fast on a small meal, which is what they could afford. The poor are still poor when Maghreb calls.

Instead, what Ramadan really is is God's bootcamp for Muslims. God says to us "I let you play all year, but now it's time to really remember who you are and what you're for. So I'm going to minimize your distractions so that you may remember Me."

The fast is about breaking the tyranny of your body over your life, and more importantly, your soul. It reminds you that you are a soul in a body, with more transcendental aspirations than your base desires. We all get hungry and thirsty when we fast, but at the end of the day we have the satisfaction of knowing that when we wanted nothing more than to reach out and drink that cup of glittering cold water, we thought to ourselves "No, God is greater." It was a choice. It makes us stronger. That's why when God talks about the fast in the Qur'an He says "O you who have believed, Fasting is ordained for you as it was ordained for those before you, so that you might remain conscious of God"

Ramadan is a reminder that God is there; omniscient, omnipotent, and closer than we think. So as we gear up for the next Ramadan, let us remember what it really is about, and try to form the proper intention for this fast. May God accept us all. --Sadeem El Nahhas

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
anatolian
06-15-2016, 06:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by *charisma*
Assalamu Alaikum

One of the biggest lies ever perpetrated and believed by Muslims is the one about the essence or purpose of fasting Ramadan. The popular belief nowadays is that fasting is about commiserating and empathizing with the poor. It is how many Muslims explain the fast to children and to curious non-muslims. This speaks to a dangerous forgetfulness of the fundamentals of Islam and a propagation of a watered-down version of the religion. The fast is NOT about the rich empathizing with the poor. Anyone who has seen how the rich break their fast and how the poor break theirs would know better than to say that. For the first fast-breaking meal in Ramadan, rich and middle class people make a huge meal, equivalent probably to a decent Thanksgiving dinner. The leftovers would feed the family for a week. The poor have to fast the same long hours, work hard to earn their bread during the fast, and break their fast on a small meal, which is what they could afford. The poor are still poor when Maghreb calls.
Yes but Allah wanted us to feel same "at least" during day time in this month :)..No matter how much money you have, how a perfect iftar you are planning to have, you are same with the guy who doesnt have any money even to buy food for himself..You are equal at least until maghreb.. :)

*charisma*
06-15-2016, 06:52 PM
I agree..i think the message is simply implying that theres more to it than just understanding what the poor go through or feel and the purpose of fasting is an individualistic journey as much as it is shared one. Basically whether poor people exist or not (signs of the end is that people will no longer be poor), fasting always will be prescribed on us.

T L
06-15-2016, 06:59 PM
Salaam

Are you completely ruling it out?

To say that fasting is not about empathy towards the less fortunate is not something I can agree with you on there. Maybe what you're saying is that the way we explain Ramadhan, as to what it means and represents, saying it is purely just about empathising with the poor is a false representation ? If that's the case then you're spot on.

However I'd like to add that one of the virtues of Ramadhan is to learn sabr. Feeling those hunger pains and the thirst that cannot be quenched naturally brings us to be able to empathise with those that are less fortunate. It humbles us, breaks down our ego, and thus brings us to be more charitable in return. Our acts of mercy towards our brothers and sisters become sincere. And not only in Ramadhan, but something that encourages us to try harder post Ramadhan Insha'Allah.

~LV

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
*charisma*
06-15-2016, 07:04 PM
I just wanted to make the title catchy. ;D One of the purposes of fasting is to empathize so I'm not ruling it out at all.. but its exactly as you said: fasting/ramadan must be explained better and we must understand it better.

darullemon
06-15-2016, 07:05 PM
I think what she is trying to say is Empathy towards poor is only one facet of Fasting. There are multitude of reasons for fasting someone of them are as simple as it is Hukm of Allah(SWT) one of the 5 pillars of Islam. Others being able to control your Nafs so on and so forth. However, people emphasize on empathizing towards poor and understanding their grief so much so that other aspects of fasting get subdued in the process.

T L
06-15-2016, 07:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by darullemon
I think what she is trying to say is Empathy towards poor is only one facet of Fasting. There are multitude of reasons for fasting someone of them are as simple as it is Hukm of Allah(SWT) one of the 5 pillars of Islam. Others being able to control your Nafs so on and so forth. However, people emphasize on empathizing towards poor and understanding their grief so much so that other aspects of fasting get subdued in the process.

Indeed you're right, however muslims all over the world are the most charitable during this month aswell, so in reflection of that, for me empathy is a great part of understanding the essence of charity and the purification of it.

darullemon
06-15-2016, 07:18 PM
look at them asking for likes using that statement

https://www.facebook.com/plugins/pos...%3A0&width=500

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.