/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Why are you here?

T L
06-16-2016, 09:20 AM
Salaam

Here's a thread for each other to find out the reasoning and push behind why we individually choose to come to IB.

What are you looking for, and why?

As a brief example;

I came searching for like-minded individuals who are on the same wavelength and understanding as me. I do not have high expectations of muslims, but I'm pretty dissatisfied with what I've been witness to throughout my life.

...And the search continues!

-

This thread is a chance to really ask yourself;

Why am I here?
What am I searching for?
What are the things in my life that have contributed towards the certainty in my answers to these questions?

Our journeys are Subhan'Allah beautiful. Perfectly written by the Divine.
Little do we spend time contemplating why we do the things we do. Little do we spend in reflection of all the things that have led up to our decisions to this very point.

In order to give thanks to the Creator, and to appreciate these absolutely amazing stories He has decreed within us, we must reflect on these questions in order to gain a better understanding of our path, our priorities and our purpose. For the Sake of Allah.

IB in comparison to the vastness of this existence is merely a speck on this planet.

But what could seem like just a tiny twinkle of His gathering Slaves for those eyes which do not see, is in reality, filled with arrays of pure light. A place of recognition for the Oneness of God, a place of comfort for those who feel ached by the shackles of this world, and those in desperate search and dying need for Truth.

This is a reflection of self, and not an opportunity to question and be judgemental of the conclusion of others.

So tell me again.

Why are you here?

~LV

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Cpt.America
06-16-2016, 09:45 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by L V
Salaam

Here's a thread for each other to find out the reasoning and push behind why we individually choose to come to IB.

-

I came searching for like-minded individuals who are on the same wavelength and understanding as me. I do not have high expectations of muslims, but I'm pretty disatisfied with what I've been witness to throughout my life.

...And the search continues!

-

~LV
Kiro told me to be here so I joined.

Umm Abed
06-16-2016, 09:49 AM
Wasslam

Found it interesting where I can learn lots of stuff.

Why are you dissatisfied? Things are not going to go your way only all the time.

T L
06-16-2016, 09:55 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Umm Abed
Wasslam

Found it interesting where I can learn lots of stuff.

Why are you dissatisfied? Things are not going to go your way only all the time.
..I think you've misunderstood. It's not about things going my way. What kindof judgemental statement is that?

I'm dissatisfied at the compromised state of the ummah.

Salaam.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Umm Abed
06-16-2016, 09:58 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by L V
..I think you've misunderstood. It's not about things going my way. What kindof judgemental statement is that?

I'm dissatisfied at the compromised state of the ummah.

Salaam.
If possible give some examples, and what is the way forward to better the ummah?

Marina-Aisha
06-16-2016, 10:20 AM
i joined another islamic forum at time cos i was reaearching into islam and someone on the other forum suggested this site as there were more members

T L
06-16-2016, 10:23 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Umm Abed
If possible give some examples, and what is the way forward to better the ummah?
The purpose of this thread is for you to talk about yourself, and it's not as simple as giving "some examples". I only added mine in there to get the idea going, not for others to fixate on it and question me. I will happily remove it if it still continues to cause confusion.

Eric H
06-16-2016, 10:44 AM
Greetings and peace be with you L V;

I am a Catholic and have been here eleven years now, my hopes are for a greater interfaith understanding and friendship. There are so many differences in this world, the challenge seems to be, how do we get on with each other despite our differences.

I have felt greatly encouraged by how helpful and friendly people are here.

In the spirit of searching for a greatest meaning of 'One God'

Eric

T L
06-16-2016, 11:33 AM
JazakAllah khair for the responses.

I want to further expand on the purpose of this thread.

This thread is a chance to really ask yourself;

Why am I here?
What am I searching for?
What are the things in my life that have contributed towards the certainty in my answers to these questions?

Our journeys are Subhan'Allah beautiful. Perfectly written by the Divine.
Little do we spend time contemplating why we do the things we do. Little do we spend in reflection of all the things that have led up to our decisions to this very point.

In order to give thanks to the Creator, and to appreciate these absolutely amazing stories He has decreed within us, we must reflect on these questions in order to gain a better understanding of our purpose and our priorities.

IB in comparison to the vastness of this existence is merely a speck on this planet.

But what could seem like just a tiny twinkle of His gathering Slaves for those eyes which do not see, is in reality, filled with arrays of pure light. A place of recognition for the Oneness of God, a place of comfort for those who feel ached by the shackles of this world, and those in desperate search and dying need for Truth.

So tell me again.

Why are you here?

~LV

(I will add this to the initial post)

greenhill
06-16-2016, 02:22 PM
In this rather huge archive, you will find something similar to this thread... I have answered a similar question in the past.

I'll answer this again as my answer I am sure would have evolved :D

The reason for joining anything like for almost every case for me, is the purpose of it and the commitment I can give. With wanting to know a lot, wanting to do a lot, wanting to achieve a lot, it kinds of spread me very thinly across all areas. Time and its management is the key. Discipline is essential. Patience if you are serious.

My cycles of research and going through many sites I stumbled upon IB. Nothing spectacular jumped out at me, and despite coming across sites that are wilder in thought I somehow decided to register here. I guessed the 'centred' nature of the discussions and the seeking of the path to Allah in a quiet and understated manner made me feel warmed to this place.

As I dug out the archived discussions, I learned and made comments wherever. There were closed threads and I felt that I could have added things not as yet considered in the discussion.... there was also threads that not every member could reply to. That rule has disappeared..

That aside, I wanted to use the international spread of members to sieve out for me, what is culture and what is the deen. My part of the world has embraced islam well over 1,000 years already. It was also the cradle of civilisation for these parts of the world. A melting pot of diverse cultures and practices mixed in with the deen. So far I found that very little is culture (there are, of course) but the general principles are true to the deen and at times forgotten why it is done because it has become so natural.

But now, there seem renewed movements; a group heading towards a revival of the deen, a group heading away from the deen, and those who don't really care (they justify their weakness). I guess, this is largely caused by the disruption of our lifestyle by the British occupation and only learning academics as defined by them. After several generations, there is nothing left of old that can be revived except taking it from everywhere else and adopting (anything but the current one), hence things become a bit mixed up. I did not really like the way the religious authorities here started feeling insecure and decided to enforce whimsical laws.. (long winded) but that was the primary reason to get to a place to sieve... this forum fitted the bill so well that I neither needed another site nor had the time to look elsewhere. :exhausted

Over time, other factors crept in. Familiarity, atmosphere, the people, other topics of interests, inspiring stories contributed by members..that made me stay and remain active.

Let's pray IB remains true to its cause..

:peace:

'abd al-hakeem
06-16-2016, 02:53 PM
.... to learn ....

Scimitar
06-16-2016, 07:47 PM
i'm here to kick butt and chew gum, obviously :D i kid i kid

Eric H
06-16-2016, 09:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Timi Scar
i'm here to kick butt i kid i kid
I came here to sell kick resistant butt protection :D

Scimitar
06-16-2016, 10:02 PM
do you also sell armour piercing boots? :D

Aisha
06-16-2016, 10:10 PM
I would love to say that I have a deep, spiritual reason for being here however the truth is, I stumbled across a thread on pizza toppings back in 2005 when I was a kid. :D And I met the most brilliant people here at the time so I just kept returning after long breaks.
Now, I like hunting trolls. :Evil:

AabiruSabeel
06-16-2016, 10:24 PM
The Imaams of the Haramain thread brought me here. Sadly it is no longer active and we do not have as many Haramain enthusiasts left on board.

We used to keep up with daily recordings from Haramain Shareefain, and renew IoH thread every Ramadhan. This year we did not even create a new thread for it.

Aisha
06-16-2016, 10:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ibn-Adam
The Imaams of the Haramain thread brought me here. Sadly it is no longer active and we do not have as many Haramain enthusiasts left on board.

We used to keep up with daily recordings from Haramain Shareefain, and renew IoH thread every Ramadhan. This year we did not even create a new thread for it.
I miss that thread. :( I didn't always post but lurked about. At one time it was the busiest thread on the forum.

drac16
06-17-2016, 12:18 AM
I wanted an alternative to Ummah.com. Ummah.com's community doesn't see eye to eye with me, so I left and came here. In my opinion, they seem to trust Scholars more than they trust Scripture. They hardly ever quote the Qur'an, but they quote fatwas all the time. I refuse to be part of a community like that.

*charisma*
06-17-2016, 01:39 AM
Assalamu Alaikum

Isn't it a better question why have you remained? :D

I loved the members here, they were a part of my growth as a person, and I can only hope to be for someone else what they were for me. They were indeed one of a kind and becoming a rarity.

Close friends, that Day, will be enemies to each other, except for the righteous (43:67). My objective is to be the righteous friend in that ayah :D and perhaps in the process I can dish out something worthwhile to say here and there :p

darullemon
06-17-2016, 05:46 AM
I am here cuz brother najimuddin brought me here, let's see how long ill be here.

MidnightRose
06-17-2016, 06:02 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by darullemon
... let's see how long ill be here.
InshaAllah that's indicating some good, beneficial things to come.

Scimitar
06-17-2016, 06:13 AM
Yeah darullemon bro, Stick around - we have our moments (we only human)

Scimi

noraina
06-17-2016, 09:12 AM
I stumbled across this forum when revising for my RS GCSEs, I lurked around for a long time before actually joining, and I learned a lot alhamdulillah.

I don't live in a area where there are many Muslims, so I joined hoping to get to know other brothers and sisters and learn about the deen and get advice or suggestions. Everyone here is so welcoming and helpful, I think you guys help to keep me grounded and focused on my goal to become a better Muslim - there are way too many distractions around :D.

At the moment I am just learning and trying to build a firm foundation for myself, perhaps inshaAllah in future I'll be able to help others as they've helped me. But yes, happy to have found this at an important time in life when the decisions I make now will have life-long effects. Deep isn't it :p?

T L
06-17-2016, 09:37 AM
i'm here to kick butt and chew gum, obviously :D i kid i kid
I found the egg Scimi

but you're not really kidding, are you?

JazakAllah khair for the responses. As a "newbie" I always find it interesting to read members talk about the history of the boards they've been a part of. Alot happens, and even though it's just the internet, it really is a world within itself, crazy!

~LV

sister herb
06-17-2016, 01:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by *charisma*
Assalamu Alaikum

Isn't it a better question why have you remained? :D
I came here to looking for Muslims and discussions with them as at that time in my city didn´t live many Muslims and I hadn´t any Muslim friends.

I remained because I found them.

:giggling:

Minhaji
06-17-2016, 02:17 PM
to spread shaykh ul islam dr tahir ul qadris teachings

T L
06-17-2016, 03:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Minhaji
to spread shaykh ul islam dr tahir ul qadris teachings

Well... that wasn't too hard to figure out by your name.

Salaam and Welcome to the Boards.

I've had the minhaj-ul-quran experience in my time, and to put it nicely, it really wasn't my cup of tea.
Be easy going and try not to be too imposing, because in any given situation that's not nice for anyone.

Not that I'm accusing you here of anything, this is from my own personal experience of "minhajis". I'm open to all knowledge, and respect all scholars whether I agree with their teachings or not, the choice is always down to us to assess everything with our own logic and understanding, rather than blindly follow somebody elses.
The "we're better than you" approach within our community is not something I tolerate, and never have.
I have had quite the few heated arguments and run-ins with "minhaji" sisters, my desire was only to learn, but instead they revealed many distasteful attitudes and flaws, labelling other muslims that do not agree with their views with derogatory names, and even bashing/dishonouring well respected scholars without any evidence based on pure irrational and emotional thought processes. They didn't really give Minhaj-ul-Quran a great image there by doing that.

I'm pretty sure, this is not our Islam.
I really hope and pray that they've seen some sense and have bettered their understanding/approach for the Sake of God. Ameen.

That aside, I have read some of Tahir ul Qadri's works and am looking forward to seeing what you share with us.

~LV

darullemon
06-19-2016, 08:24 AM
Yeah darullemon bro, Stick around - we have our moments (we only human)

Scimi

InshaAllah I'll be around but not as much cuz work is going to take its toll after Ramadan.

...lol

Internal
06-19-2016, 09:47 AM
Why am I here?
Pretty simple to get advice and help even though I am on a very difficult journey. But I guess I treat this place like home and once my problem is dealt with in a way that makes me a better Muslim then I would like to stick around longer and help people out myself and it's interesting how you learn interesting things through discussions.

Arfa
06-19-2016, 06:48 PM
I would say I'm here because I wanted to Persue knowledge regarding Deen ,and connect with likeminded personalities who had a passion and respect for Deen., and coincidentally came across IB where I had read few other forums.I think I loved how broad this platform is regarding multi cultural and best part is how set certain rules are here regarding speculation of thread content.������Since this is just Internet but it seems to be real as its regularly monitored and you get immediate feedback which is amazing!I hope my stay here remains positive and im able to connect positively with spiritual and noble persons.Moreover to regain a better understanding of Deen and contribute the gems of wisdom to society in general wherever and however that's possible.IA with the help of IB clan here:)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!