/* */

PDA

View Full Version : It's halal, but is it HALAAL?

noraina
06-17-2016, 07:43 PM
Assalamu alaykum

So recently I was a little disappointed when I see some Muslim take-aways which have huge glowing halal signs on their front windows and yet when you read their menus they sell pork dishes. :hmm:

I actually confirmed this isn't turkey bacon, and then I'm reassured but that all their lamb or beef is halal.

I don't know why this just crushes my confidence and I don't feel like eating from those places anymore. And then, some Muslims seem to have very different definitions of what halal is....so what they say is halal may not necessarily be halal enough for me.

1) no pork = definitely halal (which they say quite happily)
2) if it is from the supermarket all packed in cellophane = halal
3) if it is slaughtered before your very eyes = only then halal, otherwise you can't trust anyone

Anyone else found this?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
muslimah_B
06-17-2016, 07:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by noraina
Assalamu alaykum

So recently I was a little disappointed when I see some Muslim take-aways which have huge glowing halal signs on their front windows and yet when you read their menus they sell pork dishes. :hmm:

I actually confirmed this isn't turkey bacon, and then I'm reassured but that all their lamb or beef is halal.

I don't know why this just crushes my confidence and I don't feel like eating from those places anymore. And then, some Muslims seem to have very different definitions of what halal is....

3) if it is slaughtered before your very eyes = only then halal, otherwise you can't trust anyone

Anyone else found this?
Are you talking about pizza shops ?
Iv come across a few that do that andni avoid them like the plague tbh I don't trust a place if they say its halal and sell/serve pork you dont know if they seperate the untensils properly or even make sure the pork is handled away from everything else, i just wouldn't tske the risk
go to places where the "bacon" is actually turkey and everything else is halal be on the safe side lol.

As for supermarkets every one i have been into every halal product is seperated away from the normal haram foods, plus in tesco they have their own butchers and do sell un-stunned meat

If they "muslims or jews" say it is halal then we should trust it to be halal unless there is actuall proof or concern or doubt that it is not infact halal or permissible to eat

https://islamqa.info/en/103

https://islamqa.info/en/88206

Cpt.America
06-17-2016, 08:21 PM
Assalamu alaykum

I don't know why this just crushes my confidence and I don't feel like eating from those places anymore. And then, some Muslims seem to have very different definitions of what halal is....so what they say is halal may not necessarily be halal enough for me.

Anyone else found this?
Totally.
My cousin wanted to go to this restaurant
So I call them up and ask
"So you guys do halal food right? The food is halal?"
And the dudes
"Aw yeah, for sure! No worries"
And I am all
"Aw yeeee cool!"

Then five minute later I go "waaaait..."
and call them back and ask
"Yo but the food is ZABIHA right?"

And they're all
"Well... Zabiha ... halal what's the big deal anyway right? Everything's halal"

And I sit there for a minute in utter silence

"So... it's not zabiha is it."

response:
"Weeeell...technically no but"

Me:
"Asalaamualaikum bruh. Peace out."

Something along those lines.

It was surreal though.

Actual dialogue probably had five more minutes of me straight asking "but is it halal?"

muslimah_B
06-17-2016, 09:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Cpt.America
Totally.
My cousin wanted to go to this restaurant
So I call them up and ask
"So you guys do halal food right? The food is halal?"
And the dudes
"Aw yeah, for sure! No worries"
And I am all
"Aw yeeee cool!"

Then five minute later I go "waaaait..."
and call them back and ask
"Yo but the food is ZABIHA right?"

And they're all
"Well... Zabiha ... halal what's the big deal anyway right? Everything's halal"

And I sit there for a minute in utter silence

"So... it's not zabiha is it."

response:
"Weeeell...technically no but"

Me:
"Asalaamualaikum bruh. Peace out."

Something along those lines.

It was surreal though.

Actual dialogue probably had five more minutes of me straight asking "but is it halal?"
That is hilirious Lol
I had a similar situation but instead the guy was defending his actions of having belly dancers [emoji15] (i checked online to look at the menu after booking it)
His words were
"Sister we are in uk we can do these things"
Me "ok so youd let your wife go out without hijab"
Him "ofcourse not sister no"
Me " oh right well it applies here, Allah doesnt stop watching just because your not in muslim lands, please cancel my reservation" *i hangs up*
I sat there speechless for a few mins
[emoji15] [emoji15] [emoji15] [emoji15]

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Aisha
06-17-2016, 10:12 PM
I prefer to stick with HMC certified places if I'm not too sure about the shops in the area. I've started travelling a lot for work and the HMC website is fantastic for discovering the nearest restaurant without having to research into where they buy their meat and poultry from. :D

Personally, I wouldn't eat from a restaurant which served alcohol. If they're so unbothered about feeding their own families with Haraam, I'd rather not take my chances with them.

I don't feel I can trust every single Halal sign anymore.. There was an article in our local paper a couple years ago that most 'halal' chicken in the city was actually haram. Traders are now being prosecuted but for years it wasn't taken too seriously.

I get that we should trust other Muslims however haraam food has a huge effect on one's Deen, character and actions. I want to know where my food comes from. And it's well-known that the halal industry is mostly about the money for some.

There's always the hippie vegetarian cafes if in doubt.

Marina-Aisha
06-17-2016, 10:25 PM
i dont go any resurant that sells pork or alcohol and i always check there halal certified thingy before i order..some say yea its halal but inreality they arent! u dont know if there using there porky porky things on other places.

Serinity
06-18-2016, 12:22 AM
:salam:

Eat fish as a substitute for meat if in doubt, that is what I do. And Allah (SWT) knows best.

Cpt.America
06-18-2016, 04:42 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Serinity
:salam:

Eat fish as a substitute for meat if in doubt, that is what I do. And Allah (SWT) knows best.
Growing up there were barely any halal places in my area, so my friends at school just assumed I was vegetarian lol.
(Or PescaPescatarian the few times there were fish available)

noraina
06-18-2016, 10:28 AM
I am naturally very cautious of where I eat from, I have trust issues lol when it comes to my food, and yep I like to make sure it is HMC approved, for peace of mind if nothing else.

Just annoys me when Muslims have different meanings relating to 'halal'. So if someone happily tells me it is 'halal', I can't just take it on face value that it really is 'HALAL'. So unfortunately you can't trust then just like that, even if they're Muslim.

I have met way too many Muslims who assume as long as it isn't pork it is halal - zabiha or not. It still shocks me everytime, they have this logic that as long as it is chicken or beef it is fine, regardless of how it was slaughtered. Or some people assume it *must* have been slaughtered by a Christian so it *must* be halal and they go around eating from wherever. :(

And then there are Muslim restaurants which have huge neon green 'HALAL' signs flashing in your face, yet they have pork on their menus or BYOB signs. I can't take any risks, lol, I'm studying and I need as much goodness in my life as possible so no there's no room for even accidental haraam food.

muslimah_B
06-18-2016, 11:45 AM
I am naturally very cautious of where I eat from, I have trust issues lol when it comes to my food, and yep I like to make sure it is HMC approved, for peace of mind if nothing else.

Just annoys me when Muslims have different meanings relating to 'halal'. So if someone happily tells me it is 'halal', I can't just take it on face value that it really is 'HALAL'. So unfortunately you can't trust then just like that, even if they're Muslim.

I have met way too many Muslims who assume as long as it isn't pork it is halal - zabiha or not. It still shocks me everytime, they have this logic that as long as it is chicken or beef it is fine, regardless of how it was slaughtered. Or some people assume it *must* have been slaughtered by a Christian so it *must* be halal and they go around eating from wherever. :(

And then there are Muslim restaurants which have huge neon green 'HALAL' signs flashing in your face, yet they have pork on their menus or BYOB signs. I can't take any risks, lol, I'm studying and I need as much goodness in my life as possible so no there's no room for even accidental haraam food.
You can ask to see their halal certification which they should have in view of public !

Not every actual halal shop has been hmc approved there are some who are actually halal and their meat is pefectly fine and can be trusted.
Ofcourse sometimes it is easier to go to places that are hmc as you just know you can eat comfortably, but not everywhere is hmc yet, you just have to take extra precautions and make sure if they serve other than halal to avoid it, like literally run away LOL

What is a byob sign ?

noraina
06-18-2016, 01:33 PM
Bring your own beer, lol.

muslimah_B
06-18-2016, 01:54 PM
Bring your own beer, lol.
Oh lol

I dont actually mind that tbh lol as long as they are not selling it in their shop then for me personally i dont mind.

I used to talk to the wife of an chef of a restaurant (she was absolutely lovely and was willing to teach me arabic but i havent seen her for a while so in sha Allah after ramadan i will go back) they where fully halal (food absolutely delicious) but allowed people to bring thier own alcohol and she said that they seperated the glasses that where used to have alcohol from those that where served to muslims or those who didnt want alcohol and she was very adamant that she would never allow the glasses to be mixed ever or else she would be sinned for it
As to wether other restaurants take these kind of precautions to this extent is unsure
But i usually only stick to the restaurants i know and become familiar with the owners it helps reassure you that your eating in the right place :)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.