/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Are video games Halal/Haraam???

MuhammadSajidHA
06-28-2016, 05:16 AM
ASSALAMU ALAIKUM WA RAHMATULLAHI WA BARAKATUH

I think this is the most burning question among teen agers like me video games are halal or haram..... recently i found a game free of haraam things like music and animations of living animals will that game be permissible for playing......

JAJAKALLAH KHAIRE.........

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
darullemon
06-28-2016, 05:50 AM
Halaal if you say Bismillah before turning on xbox haraam if you didn't. Joking... Not sure halal or haraam but for sure its an idle talk where people spent hrs missing salath and what not.

MuhammadSajidHA
06-28-2016, 05:51 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by darullemon
Halaal if you say Bismillah before turning on xbox haraam if you didn't. Joking... Not sure halal or haraam but for sure its an idle talk where people spent hrs missing salath and what not.
lol but idle talk???

darullemon
06-28-2016, 05:55 AM
Music tv shows movies all sorts of Garbage thats sold in the name of entertainment

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
MuhammadSajidHA
06-28-2016, 05:57 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by darullemon
Music tv shows movies all sorts of Garbage thats sold in the name of entertainment
yeah but games are likemaths sloving right???

MuhammadSajidHA
06-28-2016, 05:58 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by MuhammadSajidHA
yeah but games are likemaths sloving right???
solving*

darullemon
06-28-2016, 06:00 AM
Maths and sciences are studies you can use books to learn those. You dont need video games to learn math unless you are 6 yrs old.

Neef
06-29-2016, 04:09 AM
i would think it would be considered haram because its a distraction.

*charisma*
06-30-2016, 12:48 PM
Assalamu Alaikum

Video games these days are definitely filled with haram things. This ranges from killing, naked women, drugs, music, racism, and theft. Besides that, there's the issue of wasting time and even procrastinating on your Islamic duties to "finish" a game. They are not a must in anyone's life and one can find beneficial ways to entertain himself.

Marina-Aisha
06-30-2016, 12:55 PM
My kids are 5 and 7 they don't have any computers ie playstation/x box/wii or ipads. They have survived..ur life won't be lost of u don't have one. Go play outside, hang out frinds, study.

noraina
06-30-2016, 01:10 PM
Video games are such a waste of time, tbh. They do have a lot of haraam in them these days and they aren't particularly stimulating either.

My parents brought us up with the conscious decision we wouldn't have any playstations or videos games - I grew up with a love of art and reading and the outdoors which I still have today, and I so enjoyed my hobbies that I actually couldn't stand the thought of sitting down playing a video-game, I just hated them lol.. And I am so glad that they made sure I didn't spend my childhood in front a screen.

'abd al-hakeem
06-30-2016, 05:07 PM

darullemon
06-30-2016, 05:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Marina-Aisha
My kids are 5 and 7 they don't have any computers ie playstation/x box/wii or ipads. They have survived..ur life won't be lost of u don't have one. Go play outside, hang out frinds, study.

Thug lyfe

kiran29
07-01-2016, 09:01 AM
Assalamualaikum wr wb,

Modern games, good food for bad emotions...are addicting, distract our focus of reality, time, responsibilities,...I think they give much more harm than good...especially for kids...at least it not good for their eyes... and still many worse effects... mentally...

playing in the woods, rivers, mountains, ...being close to the nature, sharpen our sense... reminding us how great our Creator is....are far better

sorry for the bad english...;D

MuhammadSajidHA
01-05-2017, 10:15 AM
thank you all sooooo much... jajakallahu khaire it has been a great help for me and i am sure this thread will help many teenagers who hv the same question like me.,insha'allah...

Zoomi2007
01-05-2017, 10:51 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Marina-Aisha
You are soo right may allah bring peace on you[emoji4]

Kiro
01-05-2017, 12:07 PM
shariah permits playing video games as far as I know

.hasan.
01-05-2017, 01:42 PM
Video games are halal in general, provided they don't contain any haram aspects and don't distract you from your ibadah.

Please ignore the people who say video games are a waste of time, since the same could be said of other hobbies also. As long as you do it in moderation, there should be no problem insh'Allah.

Akeyi
01-05-2017, 01:44 PM
You dont need video games unless you are 6 yrs old.

.hasan.
01-05-2017, 01:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by noraina
Video games are such a waste of time, tbh. They do have a lot of haraam in them these days and they aren't particularly stimulating either.

My parents brought us up with the conscious decision we wouldn't have any playstations or videos games - I grew up with a love of art and reading and the outdoors which I still have today, and I so enjoyed my hobbies that I actually couldn't stand the thought of sitting down playing a video-game, I just hated them lol.. And I am so glad that they made sure I didn't spend my childhood in front a screen.

Personally I can't see the benefits that art brings to a person, so hence they are a waste of time. People could do so much more with their time tbh

noraina
01-05-2017, 04:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by .hasan.
Personally I can't see the benefits that art brings to a person, so hence they are a waste of time. People could do so much more with their time tbh
Assalamu alaykum

So I've heard from more people than I can count.

I'm planning to pursue a career in the Islamic arts of calligraphy and geometry, they are far from waste of time imho. I really don't think they can be compared to video games in this regard.

Khayr, I also believe everyone is entitled to their opinions. :)

.hasan.
01-05-2017, 04:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by noraina
Assalamu alaykum

So I've heard from more people than I can count.

I'm planning to pursue a career in the Islamic arts of calligraphy and geometry, they are far from waste of time imho. I really don't think they can be compared to video games in this regard.

Khayr, I also believe everyone is entitled to their opinions. :)

I think my post may have been a bit harsh, I guess I just got annoyed that everyone thinks video games are a waste of time. My apologies.

Jazak'Allah khayran

noraina
01-05-2017, 04:14 PM
I think my post may have been a bit harsh, I guess I just got annoyed that everyone thinks video games are a waste of time. My apologies.

Jazak'Allah khayran
Wa iyaak

I think everyone means that video games can end up being so stimulating and captivating you can end up spending hours on them at a time instead of doing something more beneficial. If one could manage them in moderation it would be okay.

:jz:

sister herb
01-05-2017, 04:50 PM
Like doing what? Playing video games?

Zeal
01-05-2017, 04:57 PM
Too many video games overstimulates the mind and makes it get tired way too easily with other things

Akeyi
01-05-2017, 05:22 PM
art makes fighter fight courager

aaj
01-05-2017, 06:38 PM
actually video games are not bad. They help build dexterity skills, vision practice (scope of sight), and variety of skills depending on the game (quick thinking if fast action game, logical thinking if mystery/adventure games (like indiana jones), etc). In fact studies shown video games to be good exercise for the brain as it engages different parts of the brain. The key, like in all things, is moderation.

What really is a waste of time is being couch potatoes watching games and your "favorite" teams, there's absolutely no benefit to that activity, not only no positive benefit but rather a negative effect of sitting for hours and hours taking a toll on your health, body muscles ,nerves and brain.

Study shows video games leading to improvement in cognitive functions, motor control and overall perception.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/olliebar.../#3e6bc45b84a5
http://www.iflscience.com/brain/play...in-here-s-how/

Born_Believer
01-05-2017, 07:59 PM
The words halaan and haraam are used so liberally these days. Only very specific things have been labeled as clearly haraam. Video games may be deemed as a waste of time or the graphic violence and in some cases the sex in them may be deemed haraam but ofc not all video games can be haraam en masse.

there is nothing wrong in Islam with having hobbies and spending your free time doing something other than working, praying and educating. If playing a game that meets certain criteria is what you like, go for it. Something like Mario if not GTA.

Serinity
01-05-2017, 09:29 PM
:salam:

I don't think killings in Games is bad or negative. Is it? Surely killing people in real life is haram, but not in videogames.

Sure it can be a waste of time if one spends 10 hours everyday, delaying one's prayers, etc. That is wrong.

GTA V has haram elements in it, and soo have many games. It has been 1 year or 2 since I have played any game, really.

But, isn't it better to play games than waste time doing nothing in one's free time.

If one can balance it, i.e. not let it take over one's prayers, or reading Quran, then, there is no problem playing games, as long as there is no haram or shirk.

Killing people in games, I can not say is haram. Cuz it is just a game. One does not become a psychopath from killing people in games. And usually people who take inspiration from games and do it in real life (for example - hurt someone) they have some other issue that is not tied to the game. Cuz no sane man would go kill someone because of a game.

I like games with strategy, RPG and FPS. It can act as a social barrier breaker.

Games that force people to work together and form a team, etc. Are good games. Provided that it is free from shirk.
Allahu alam.

.hasan.
01-05-2017, 11:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sister herb
Like doing what? Playing video games?
Yes since video games bring many benefits which have been nicely explained by brother Aaj alhamdulilah.

May Allah reward the brother.

ardianto
01-06-2017, 04:01 AM
I've ever made a thread in Advice & Support section which I told about boredom that I felt. I created that thread when I missed my colorful youth life.

I have done many things, experienced many things, in my youth life. Compete in sport competition, walking on forest, climb a mountain, fishing on lake, camping, and many other activities. Doing these activities made me could feel the beauty of youth life.

Yeah, youth life is beautiful. But youth life will never come twice. Once it has gone, it will never come back.

.....and you will lose the beauty of youth life if you spend your time in video game.

sister herb
01-06-2017, 09:03 AM
We should try to live balanced life. Like do a little bit of this and a little bit of that every day, not doing only one thing or hobby all the time, then playing wouldn´t be so harmfull to our brains or life in general. Some exercise, some studing, some relaxing (maybe with games), some social life, some time for only fo ourselves (like being a couch potato is we feel it´s relaxing for us), some something else and we can get the most benefit from kind of activities. Unfortunately playing games may take the major role for someone´s life and addict very easily.

And for this, I couldn´t agree more:

format_quote Originally Posted by Born_Believer
The words halaan and haraam are used so liberally these days. Only very specific things have been labeled as clearly haraam.

Scimitar
01-06-2017, 02:01 PM
They are totally correct, video games are there to "kill time". You play them when you are bored. You will neglect your duties when playing and generally become a lot more frustrated with life because you couldn't finish that level, or lost one of your digital lives trying.

I honestly FAIL to see ANY benefit from video games.

And I say this as someone who occasionally plays wipEout HD Fury. It's just a waste of time.

I want you to list the benefits of video gaming.

Something tells me you'll be playing the "increases reaction time" card... and I will rebut that hard.

Scimi

sister herb
01-06-2017, 02:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Scimitar

Something tells me you'll be playing the "increases reaction time" card... and I will rebut that hard.
We are waiting, we are waiting...

:popcorn:

Scimitar
01-06-2017, 02:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sister herb
We are waiting, we are waiting...

:popcorn:
I'm waiting for his "benefits to video gaming" first :D

Scimi

aaj
01-06-2017, 03:14 PM
I don't know why so many people on here are anti-video games. Some people doing boring things like going out to enjoy the "youth" , or painting and drawing and other dull stuff, or waste hours cooking unhealthy stuff like cookies, or anything else they find as a joyful hobby. See how that goes? Art and drawing maybe your dream but it's super boring to someone else, as is reading, cooking or going outdoors and get dirty and sick. It's all a matter of perception and personal bias.

As as stated for the 100th time, video games are not haram nor a waste of time nor anything wrong with them. If there is then so it is with all the other hobbies you people do, shame on you and you should be studying and learning and doing ebadaah 24/7.

Hobbies are recreational activities when done to relax and take a break from life. Whether you cook, draw , play outside or play video games, it's all the same. So how about we stop forcing our personal bias towards video games down others throat?

They are totally correct, video games are there to "kill time". You play them when you are bored. You will neglect your duties when playing and generally become a lot more frustrated with life because you couldn't finish that level, or lost one of your digital lives trying.

I honestly FAIL to see ANY benefit from video games.

And I say this as someone who occasionally plays wipEout HD Fury. It's just a waste of time.

I want you to list the benefits of video gaming.

Scimi
You FAIL to see ANY benefits because you FAIL to READ. I suggest visiting the links i posted about studies done on the benefits of video games. In fact, they are being used as a learning methodology in schools now as well.

and if you are getting frustrated and whining over loosing a life or not beating a level and of the sort then apparently you are a cry baby who doesn't know how to handle such things. And it doesn't matter if you play video games or play basketball with others outside, if you don't know how to take a loss then you'll cry regardless. The issue isn't the games, the issue at that point is with you and how you deal with things in life.

Scimitar
01-06-2017, 03:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aaj
You FAIL to see ANY benefits because you FAIL to READ. I suggest visiting the links i posted about studies done on the benefits of video games. In fact, they are being used as a learning methodology in schools now as well.

and if you are getting frustrated and whining over loosing a life or not beating a level and of the sort then apparently you are a cry baby who doesn't know how to handle such things. And it doesn't matter if you play video games or play basketball with others outside, if you don't know how to take a loss then you'll cry regardless. The issue isn't the games, the issue at that point is with you and how you deal with things in life.
I fail to see how video games which make kids obese and violent are beneficial to mankind.

I fail to see how running around in a park playing football and learning to interact with other children in the real world is not better than video gaming.

I fail to see the argument from ignorance which the gaming industries throw out to convince us that gaming is good for us because it increases hand to eye co-ordination while giving long term gamers metacarpal syndrome in their hands - the point being, what good is hand to eye co-rodination when your hands won't work like they used to?

I fail to see your arguments as justification for the gaming industry period.

In fact, givin a child a tennis ball and playing catch, is way better for hand to eye co-ordination than any video game.

Want me to prove it?

You may be a badass on fifa, but take it to the pitch, and we'll see how your hand to eye co-ordination worked out for you foot to eye co-ordination in real life footy.

The problem with people like you is that you seem to want to justify an habit, which is a waste of time.

Spend your time wisely.

I became the best online on wipEout HD Fury, and can claim that "hand to eye co-ordination champion" card all for my self, should I want it - but I know better than to claim something which simply is not true.

You cannot beat common sense with links to gaming sites bro, period.

Have a nice day.

Scimi

Scimitar
01-06-2017, 03:43 PM
Hobbies are recreational activities when done to relax and take a break from life. Whether you cook, draw , play outside or play video games, it's all the same. So how about we stop forcing our personal bias towards video games down others throat?
Dude, you seem a little unsettled over our opinions, it's like you believe in Gaming now. LOL

Let me put it to you bluntly,

Video Gaming does not benefit you in any way shape or form, it just increases eye strain, and causes metacarpal issues in the hands, and makes kids fat and lazy.

I wonder if you fit that well defined and witnessed stereotype. And if so, is this why you are so gung ho over gaming?

Now, for the meat of your post.

You claimed "hobby".

An hobby is something which traditionally was a project, which one would engage in, such as model building to scale. In this one example, the hobbyist learns REAL hand to eye co-ordination, and doesn't risk metacarpal syndrome. The hobbyist is often active, moving from one table to the next, or travelling to hobby shops to get the "next part" - come rain or shine. They breath fresh air and meet people with similar interests in the REAL WORLD, where through interaction, they will learn to master their hobby/craft together in order to take their skills to the next level.

Like this, my cousin at the age of 9 started to fly model air planes, the RC ones, he got all his licences mashaAllah and due to his passion, he eventually got his Cessna licence and can fly a real Cessna with a few passengers across the country... but did he stop there?

No.

He went on to develop drone tech for the film industry and has worked with documentary greats such as David Attenborough amongst others,

Hobby?

Bro, you wouldn't know an hobby if it plastered itself in your living room. Honestly.

Your justifications for video gaming are so weak, and sourced straight outta the gaming industry websites, the very same sites which are on the back foot in relation to modern day statistics regarding the causes of obesity in the west - computer gaming being the largest culprit.

So yeah, keep trying to justify your bad habit as an hobby.

It won't fly with me.

Scimi

aaj
01-06-2017, 03:44 PM
I fail to see how video games which make kids obese and violent are beneficial to mankind.

I fail to see how running around in a park playing football and learning to interact with other children in the real world is not better than video gaming.

I fail to see the argument from ignorance which the gaming industries throw out to convince us that gaming is good for us because it increases hand to eye co-ordination while giving long term gamers metacarpal syndrome in their hands - the point being, what good is hand to eye co-rodination when your hands won't work like they used to?

I fail to see your arguments as justification for the gaming industry period.

In fact, givin a child a tennis ball and playing catch, is way better for hand to eye co-ordination than any video game.

Want me to prove it?

You may be a badass on fifa, but take it to the pitch, and we'll see how your hand to eye co-ordination worked out for you foot to eye co-ordination in real life footy.

The problem with people like you is that you seem to want to justify an habit, which is a waste of time.

Spend your time wisely.

I became the best online on wipEout HD Fury, and can claim that "hand to eye co-ordination champion" card all for my self, should I want it - but I know better than to claim something which simply is not true.

You cannot beat common sense with links to gaming sites bro, period.

Have a nice day.

Scimi

you also fail to see all things in context.

You get obese through unhealthy eating and lack of exercise, not video games.

you become violent through lack of proper up bringing and learning to control your emotions, not video games.

you get corporal syndrome from sitting on pc all day using that keyboard. Or texting on that phone 24/7. ever heard of moderation?

a child won't be playing tennis ball outside in the winter, then again children under the age of 7 shouldn't be given ANY digital devices. Those tablets are not your babysitters.

you proven a lot already, so no thanks i don't need you to prove anything else.

The problem with people like you is that you want to justify others healthy stress reducing halal recreational activities as a waste of time. sitting here posting on non-beneficial threads is waste of time.

spend your time wisely in all things, be it games, forums, cooking, drawing, needlessly arguing...

have a nice day

aaj

Scimitar
01-06-2017, 03:48 PM
you also fail to see all things in context.

You get obese through unhealthy eating and lack of exercise, not video games.

you become violent through lack of proper up bringing and learning to control your emotions, not video games.

you get corporal syndrome from sitting on pc all day using that keyboard. Or texting on that phone 24/7. ever heard of moderation?

a child won't be playing tennis ball outside in the winter, then again children under the age of 7 shouldn't be given ANY digital devices. Those tablets are not your babysitters.

you proven a lot already, so no thanks i don't need you to prove anything else.

The problem with people like you is that you want to justify others healthy stress reducing halal recreational activities as a waste of time. sitting here posting on non-beneficial threads is waste of time.

spend your time wisely in all things, be it games, forums, cooking, drawing, needlessly arguing...

have a nice day

aaj
Ok, acid test, of your ability to know what is best for your children.

When you have children

in sha Allah

Will you let them play video games such as Call of Duty and Assassins Creed ? Ya know? those really popular multi million selling games which every kid (including yourself) think are amazing?

In other words, will you let your children foster a violent mindset, whilst becoming fat tubs of lard?

I think you will.

Have a nice day.

Scimi

EDIT: you got cornered in my post before this one. NO come back for you.

Scimitar
01-06-2017, 03:52 PM
Hello Gamers :D ya won't find this on your gaming sites which tell you gaming is good for you !

enjoy gaming. :D

Scimi

Scimitar
01-06-2017, 04:01 PM
Ever been to the Live Science site? it's a great source for this kinda thing.

As Video Games Become Ubiquitous, So Do Hand Health Problems

In gaming, a few seconds of uninterrupted rest or the simultaneous application of the entire contents of a first aid kit can heal most injuries. However, the ever-increasing numbers of gamers, their crossing of both age and gender boundaries, and the hours they put into their namesake activity can lead to some real world consequences to their health that can’t be cured with a bottled fairy.

Recent surveys have shown that online gaming, including gaming on PCs and consoles, has grown in the past year to eight hours per week on average, independent of offline or handheld options. So much time spent on a single activity, even those as seemingly benign as "Farmville" or as active as "Modern Warfare 2", can have a serious effect on the only universal gaming interface, human hands.

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome: What is it?
The bane of Human Resources departments worldwide is a condition known as Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. The carpal tunnel itself is an open space inside the wrist surrounded by bone and ligament through which the median nerve runs. The median nerve branches off from the shoulder down the length of each arm and partially controls the motions and sensations of the thumb and fingers.

“Most people initially complain of numbness and tingling in their hands, usually in their ‘radial’ three digits: thumb, index finger and long finger,” reports Orthopedic Surgeon Dr. Dana Tarandy of Woodstock, IL. “Sometimes it includes the ring finger due to dual innervation with another nerve called the ulnar nerve. Later on, they get severe pain, burning pain, muscle weakness and muscle wasting in a long standing Carpal Tunnel Syndrome case.”

How does it happen?
One of the leading causes of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome is the swelling of the surrounding tendons produced by repeated overuse or poor ergonomics of the wrist. This includes, but is not limited to, excessive mousing, Wii-mote use or a particularly tight or unconventional grip of a standard gaming controller that puts the wrist in an odd position for any length of time. “If you are gripping or holding your hand at an awkward angle, you should give your hands a break for ten minutes every hour to let that nerve relax,” recommends Dr. Tarandy.

The condition can be managed in a number of ways from moderate to severe. “A carpal tunnel splint will increase the volume of the carpal tunnel by holding the wrist in relaxed, neutral but a slightly ‘up’ position. Especially at night, a lot of times at night we tend to go to sleep and our hand bends or flexes downward, and that deceives the volume of the carpal tunnel, putting more pressure on the nerve.” Anti-inflammatory drugs or physical therapy can also be prescribed. Surgery to expand the space for the median nerve, known as “carpal tunnel release” surgery, as it severs the transverse carpal ligament but “heals in about two weeks, but you can use your hand right away, a highly successful surgery, a ten minute outpatient surgery with a full or nearly full recovery with almost all symptoms going away.”

Other Possible Problems
Gaming related bone and muscle ailments are not exclusive to the wrist. In just the past twenty years, the need for fast and accurate finger and, in particular, thumb movement has become essential for both social and virtual survival. The best example is the number of controller buttons under the purview of a single hand as grown from one in the dawn of the gaming age, to at least seven, in the current era and that’s not counting an analog stick.

Button related actions are not limited to simple presses either. Critical gameplay maneuvers often require long-term pressure to be applied to one button, e.g. as a stand in for an accelerator pedal; the rapid movement from one button to another in short sequence in rhythm games or quick time events; or the sustained, rapid hammering onto a single button to survive a cutscene or hide a loading screen. All of these situations result in repeated and stressed action on the joints of the fingers, a contributing (though not solely causative) factor toward the development of Osteoarthritis in the hands.

Osteoarthritis is the blanket term used to cover the process where the breakdown of cartilage between joints causes further damage and complications to movement. When bones begin to wear against each other they start to heal abnormally, creating bone spurs and other painful complications. A related arthritic condition concerning the overuse of fingers is known as Trigger Finger. “A nodule develops in the tendon that gets caught under a ligament,” explains Tarandy, “when you flex it down it gets trapped under a ligament and when you try to extend it, its basically stuck and then you have to manually pull it back.” It can also be corrected by splinting or surgery.

Overall prevention of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome and various arthritic conditions is part of a laundry list of general wellness information consisting mainly of the moderation of any potentially harmful activity (including gaming sessions), getting regular exercise and eating well. Any concerns or attempts at treatment should first be cleared with your physician.

Sauce

Scimitar
01-06-2017, 04:03 PM
I think my signature is enough for aaj,

Go catch your pokemon.

Scimi

Scimitar
01-06-2017, 04:17 PM
When Shaikh Hamza Yusuf Hansen advised the "learn to die before you die" narrative, I'm pretty sure he wasn't talking about video game deaths lol

You fools need to wake up and smell the boon tree.

Scimi

.hasan.
01-06-2017, 04:58 PM
When Shaikh Hamza Yusuf Hansen advised the "learn to die before you die" narrative, I'm pretty sure he wasn't talking about video game deaths lol

You fools need to wake up and smell the boon tree.

Scimi

Fools?

Such atrocious manners you have.

Is this how you advise? Why would anyone listen to you when they can see you are only forcing your views upon others?

Scimitar
01-06-2017, 06:12 PM
Fools?

Such atrocious manners you have.

Is this how you advise? Why would anyone listen to you when they can see you are only forcing your views upon others?
You feeling forced shows how weak your resolve really is, lol

Grow some will power, or be a muppet - your choice.

Scimi

.hasan.
01-06-2017, 08:02 PM

Scimi
Health risks of using pcs

muscle soreness and muscle fatigue are the most common complaints of regular computer users. Back pain, chest pain, pain or numbness in arms, shoulder and feet top the list. These types of problems mainly occur because your posture while using the computer is not correct. Either you are sitting on an uncomfortable chair or your workstation is not supportive of correct posture. Read more about causes of muscle pain.

Pain in the neck, shoulder, or anywhere from the shoulder to fingers may indicate repetitive stress injury. When you use your muscles in an awkward position, you may experience stiffness, pain or swelling in that area. For example, twisting the wrist to use the mouse or specific typing technique that causes stretching of fingers or pressure on the wrist can turn really painful. One of the disorders that affect the fingers and wrist is carpal tunnel syndrome.

Brght light and bad glare or flickering image can strain your eyes. Constantly focusing on the screen without blinking can cause dry eyes. Computer vision syndrome is another problem

Because of increased muscle tension or pain in the neck at the base of the skull, headache is common problem with computer use. Many a times, prolonged use can affect eye power which needs vision correction. This can also result in headache.

Studies have shown that prolonged use of computers, especially in children, is the major contributing factor of sedentary lifestyle and childhood obesity.

Technology has a huge impact on our behaviour and emotions. Prolonged computer use along with other factors like poor health, work pressure and job environment can make you susceptible to stress. Moreover, the longer you uphold the stress, the more susceptible you become to other health issues mentioned above. It can also lead to loss of concentration
Pain in the neck, shoulder, or anywhere from the shoulder to fingers may indicate repetitive stress injury. When you use your muscles in an awkward position, you may experience stiffness, pain or swelling in that area. For example, twisting the wrist to use the mouse or specific typing technique that causes stretching of fingers or pressure on the wrist can turn really painful. One of the disorders that affect the fingers and wrist is carpal tunnel syndrome.

.hasan.
01-06-2017, 08:07 PM
[QUOTE=Scimitar;2943751]You feeling forced shows how weak your resolve really is, lol

Scimi[/QUOTE

Looking at the health risks of pcs, I am quite surprised at how you still continue to use a pc. Would you like me to link you to some articles/videos highlighting he risks associated with pcs?

You should strengthen your will power and give up pcs immediately. Or I gues you could continue living like a weak idiot who doesn't practice what he preaches.

Technology has a huge impact on our behaviour and emotions. Prolonged computer use along with other factors like poor health, work pressure and job environment can make you susceptible to stress. Moreover, the longer you uphold the stress, the more susceptible you become to other health issues mentioned above. It can also lead to loss of concen

.hasan.
01-06-2017, 08:09 PM

Scimi
Looking at the health risks of pcs, I am quite surprised at how you still continue to use a pc. Would you like me to link you to some articles/videos highlighting the risks associated with pcs in great depth?

You should strengthen your will power and give up pcs immediately. Or I gues you could continue living like a weak idiot who doesn't practice what he preaches..

.hasan.
01-06-2017, 08:19 PM
Hello Gamers :D ya won't find this on your gaming sites which tell you gaming is good for you !

Scimi

Look here, brainless.

Common computer-induced medical problemsEdit

Notable physical medical problems that can arise from using computers include Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, Computer Vision Syndrome, and Musculoskeletal problems.[1]
Carpal Tunnel SyndromeEdit

The medical problem associated with computer-related work is carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS). CTS is a stress-related injury caused by repetitive movement of joints, especially the wrist, and can lead to numerous musculoskeletal problems. It has become very common among Computer professionals due to poorly placed computer components and extensive typing over a long period of time. Studies conducted show that one in eight computer professionals suffer from CTS.[2] This study was conducted over 21 companies and the majority of sufferers said that they experienced acute and in some cases severe pain due to CTS. The main cause of CTS seems to be debatable, however, with many sources saying that the syndrome is predominantly caused by the acute positioning of the wrist while typing and this problem is exacerbated by the need for the user to be crouching towards the screen while typing. Different research conducted cites the mouse as being the main cause of CTS[2] as it was found that among the fingers the right thumb was revealed to be more susceptible to CTS due to the acute position of the thumb while using the mouse. CTS, although prevalent, seems to be very difficult to ameliorate or cure due to the consistency in the design of computer components such as the mouse and the keyboard, but some companies are leading the way with technologies such as touch screen monitors which will reduce stress on the hand and wrist. Employers in major companies are also taking measures to ameliorate CTS by implementing frequent work breaks and work rotation procedures to ensure that employees aren’t working on a single computer for hours on end "a higher level of intensity of computer work results in higher risk for CTS."[3] which causes severe stress on the joints and thus can lead to CTS
Cumulative trauma disorders are caused by "people who sit at PC workstations or visual display terminals in fast-paced, repetitive keystroke jobs. Their fingers, wrists, arms, necks, and back may become so weak and painful that they cannot work,"[4] Many people do not think about this when they look at their computer while using it. It is important to note that everything down to the keyboard has a design process behind it focusing on user interface.[5]
Computer Vision SyndromeEdit

In many cases, frequent computer users suffer from computer vision syndrome, which is a degenerative eye problem which can result in severely reduced eyesight (Myopia), blurred vision, overall eye tiredness and even Glaucoma. Computer Eye Syndrome is an umbrella term for many problems but the causes of these problems can be easily identified. When using a computer due to the size and setup of the monitor and components it is necessary for the user to be within at least two feet of the monitor when performing any type of computational work. This presents many problems especially in older monitors due to an elevated amount of monitor glare, poor display quality and insufficient picture display refresh rates. Although these problems are more evident in older computers the newer models are not free from these problems either. Studies have been conducted [6] into the correlation between computers and eye problems and it was found that the Ionizing radiation given off by monitors has severe detrimental effects on the eye and eyesight on a whole. They also state “Treatment requires a multidirectional approach combining ocular therapy with adjustment of the workstation”[6] which shows these problems are quite easily solved with minimal investment from computer manufacturers through producing higher quality monitors with better resolution and refresh rates. The most common form of Computer Vision Syndrome is a condition termed Dry Eye, which results in itchy, sore and even the illusion that something is stuck in your eye. This condition is often caused by extensively long period looking at a computer screen.
Video screens have a design process for user interface. Video screens can cause eyestrain from prolonged viewing. Cathode ray tubes are what are used to display the information on your computer. These send off radiation. This is a concern that has been taken into account when designing better computer screens for user interface.[4][5]
Musculoskeletal problemsEdit

Another medical issue caused by the use of computers is back and posture problems. These problems relate to musculoskeletal disorders caused by the need for the user to be crouched and hunched towards the monitors and computer components due to the design and positioning of these particular computer peripherals. This hunching forward of the user causes posture and back problems but is also the cause of severe and acute pain in the upper back, particularly pain in the neck and or shoulders. A study [7] was conducted where 2146 technical assistants installed a computer program to monitor the musculoskeletal pain they suffered and answered questionnaires on the location and severity of the pain. The study showed interesting results, as it detailed how in the majority of cases any pain suffered was aggravated and exacerbated by the use of computer peripherals like the mouse and keyboard but overall the pain did not originate from using computers. "Moreover, there seems to be no relationship between computer use and prolonged and chronic neck and shoulder pain"[7]This is a positive study for computer manufacturers but although the pain may not originate from computer peripherals there is no doubt that the pain is exacerbated by their use and this revelation alone should lead computer manufacturers to pioneer new technologies that reduce the risk of posture or musculoskeletal problems aggravated by the use of poorly designed and linearly designed computer peripherals.
In another study,[8] It was found that women are at a greater risk than men to suffer from musculoskeletal problems than men. Two explanations given were that "women appear to consistently report more neck and upper extremity symptoms than men.", and that women may assume more taxing positions while working than men do due to differences in anthropometrics.
Mental problemsEdit

Public Health England said children who spend too long on the internet face social problems such as loneliness, depression and anxiety.[9]
According to Dr Victoria Dunkley, excessive use of electronic screen media can have ill effects on mental health related to mood, cognition, and behavior -- and may even result in psychosis in the form of hallucination.[10] She calls this "Electronic Screen Syndrome" (ESS). She claims the root of these symptoms appears to be linked to repeated stress on the nervous system, making self-regulation and stress management less efficient. She says interacting with screens shifts the nervous system into fight-or-flight mode which leads to dysregulation as an inability to modulate one’s mood, attention, or level of arousal in a manner appropriate to one’s environment.

Serinity
01-06-2017, 08:40 PM
:salam:

Imagine, holding a controller, same position, for 10 hours straight, forgetting to eat. Lol. Must be insane.

No, but seriously, as long as you don't play 10 hours straight, and say you have a gaming session, have a 15 min break, where you rest your hands.

Ps. one's hobby should not be only the computer, and nothing else. To play computer all day or have that as one's only hobby, is not good. Have some rest. Do workout.

Imagine having your muscles STRAINED for hours on end, no rest. For years... obviously you'd get problems.

One's life shouldn't revolve around PC gaming. It should just be as a pass time.

Being on PC all day, even if you aren't gaming, will cause problems.

Allahu alam.

aaj
01-06-2017, 09:32 PM
To state the OP: Are video games halal or haram?

The answer is they are halal. All things in Islam are generally halal unless already known to be haram or disliked (makrooh) or unless otherwise ruled haram through new rulings.

Following is purely in the interest of the topic in relation to pros/cons of video games.....

--------------------------------------

Video Games Play May Provide Learning, Health, Social Benefits, Review Finds

Playing video games, including violent shooter games, may boost children’s learning, health and social skills, according to a review of research on the positive effects of video game play to be published by the American Psychological Association.

The study comes out as debate continues among psychologists and other health professionals regarding the effects of violent media on youth.

“Important research has already been conducted for decades on the negative effects of gaming, including addiction, depression and aggression, and we are certainly not suggesting that this should be ignored,” said lead author Isabela Granic, PhD, of Radboud University Nijmegen in The Netherlands. “However, to understand the impact of video games on children’s and adolescents’ development, a more balanced perspective is needed.”

more @ https://www.apa.org/news/press/relea...deo-games.aspx

----------------

The educational benefits of video games

Video games have great positive potential in addition to their entertainment value and there has been considerable success when games are designed to address a specific problem or to teach a certain skill.

Research has consistently shown that playing computer games produces reductions in reaction times,improved hand-eye co-ordination and raises players’ self-esteem

> video game can be used as research and/or measurement tools. Furthermore, as research tools they have great diversity
> video game attract participation by individuals across many demographic boundaries (e.g., age, gender, ethnicity, educational status)
> video game can assist children in setting goals, ensuring goal rehearsal, providing feedback, reinforcement, and maintaining records of behavioural change
> video game can be useful because they allow the researcher to measure performance on a very wide variety of tasks, and can be easily changed, standardized and understood
> video game can be used when examining individual characteristics such as self-esteem, self-concept, goal-setting and individual differences
> video game are fun and stimulating for participants Consequently, it is easier to achieve and maintain a person’s undivided attention for long periods of time. Because of the fun and excitement, they may also provide an innovative way of learning
> video game can provide elements of interactivity that may stimulate learning
> video game also allow participants to experience novelty, curiosity and challenge. This may stimulate learning
> video game equip children with state-of-the art technology. This may help overcome technophobia (a condition well-known among many adults). Over time it may also help eliminate gender imbalance in IT use (as males tend to be more avid IT users)
> video game may help in the development of transferable IT skills
> video game can act as simulations. These allow participants to engage in extraordinary activities and to destroy or even die without real consequences
> video game may help adolescents regress to childhood play (because of the ability to suspend reality in video game playing)

Despite the disadvantages, it would appear that video game(in the right context) may be a facilitatory educational aid.

Video games and the development of skills among special need groups

Video games have been used in comprehensive programmes to help develop social skills in children and adolescents who are severely retarded or who have severe developmental problems like autism.

Language skills
These included video game play being able to facilitate (i) discussing and sharing, (ii) following directions (understanding prepositions etc.), (iii) giving directions, (iv) answering questions, and (v) having a discussion topic with visual aides to share with others.

Basic maths skills
These included video game playing promoting basic maths skills as children learn to interact with the score counters on video game.

Basic reading skills
These included video game’ character dialogue which are printed on the screen (‘Play’, ‘Quit’, ‘Go’, ‘Stop’, Load’ etc.).

Social skills
video game provided an interest that was popular with other children makes talking and playing together so much easier. At school there are always other children who share a passion for video game play.

Brain-wave biofeedback

New (as yet unpublished) research 23 suggests video games linked to brain-wave biofeedback may help children with attention deficit disorders. Biofeedback teaches patients to control normally involuntary body functions such as heart rate by providing real-time monitors of those responses. With the aid of a computer display, attention-deficit patients can learn to modulate brain waves associated with focusing. With enough training, changes become automatic and lead to improvements in grades, sociability, organizational skills

Rehabilitation

There are also several case reports describing the use of video games for rehabilitation. In one application, an electronic game was used to improve arm control in a 13 year old boy with Erb’s palsy. 27 The authors concluded that the game format capitalized on the child’s motivation to succeed in the game and focused attention away from potential discomfort

http://sheu.org.uk/sites/sheu.org.uk.../1/eh203mg.pdf

----------

Horizon: How video games can change your brain

The video game industry is a global phenomenon. There are more than 1.2 billion gamers across the planet, with sales projected soon to pass $100bn (£65bn) per year.

The games frequently stand accused of causing violence and addiction. Yet three decades of research have failed to produce consensus among scientists.

But other research groups have concluded factors such as family background, mental health or simply being male are more significant in determining levels of aggression.

What is certain is that science has failed to find a causal link between video games and real-world acts of violence.

But away from the controversy, a growing body of work is beginning to show these games in a different light.

Some benefits:

Motor skill

Visual abilities

Brain growth

keeping sharp

AND skills transferable to real world

details at http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-34255492

-------------

No psychological harm to children who play lots of video games, study says

“Time spent playing video games may have positive effects on young children.” That was the headline on a March 2016 press release from Columbia University’s Mailman School of Public Health, promoting a new study co-authored by three members of its faculty.

Its team of 13 researchers analyzed the video game-playing habits of more than 3,000 children, aged 6 to 11, across Europe back in 2010. They found that children who played at least five hours a week had fewer psychological problems than students who didn’t play video games as much, and were rated by their teachers as better students, both academically and in social adjustment.

“It’s no longer that kids who play a lot video games are the isolated, techy, brainy kids. What we’re seeing here is that kids who play a lot of video games are socially integrated, they’re prosocial, they have good school functioning and we don’t see any association with adverse mental health outcomes.”

“It’s the kids who don’t actively engage with their peers around gaming and other types of popular children’s leisure activities that are perhaps more at risk for developing problems,” Keyes added.

Keyes says there’s never been much scientific evidence among large studies of children to support that video game-playing is harmful.

It seems likely that at some point, video game-playing does become harmful. [Like I said, all things in 'moderation']

http://hechingerreport.org/video-games-beneficial/

Marina-Aisha
01-31-2017, 05:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Zoomi2007
You are soo right may allah bring peace on you[emoji4]
~sign~ my uncle bought an amazon fire for my kids dunno why as expensive but i try only limit it like once or twice a week for half an hour each for each child lol but mostly its for memorising the quran.

alhamduillah my youngest does run for fire thingy or computer/tv as ive stopped that too you may think im "harsh" but them things are disructive awhile back my daughter was watching this babrie show it had the barbie and ken kissing and stuff i was so shocked!

fyi
01-31-2017, 06:11 PM

Scimi
That's not only because of gaming. Also there are excercises and protection gear to prevent it.

Scimitar
01-31-2017, 06:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by fyi
That's not only because of gaming. Also there are excercises and protection gear to prevent it.
True,

but tell me honestly, if regular gamers know of carpal tunnel syndrome before they actually suffer it, or know someone to suffer it?

And tell me you know how the human condition dictates the (flawed) premise of "it won't happen to me".

I had carpal tunnel syndrome, and stopped gaming. Barrel rolling 9 times every ten seconds while trying to take a chicane at 900kph would do that though lol

Scimi

EDIT: i've now recapped this thread and read some really ignorant posts by members attempting to justify gaming as "beneficial" lol... what a load of idiots.

I cannot believ these idiots are sourcing from BBC and that blog posing as a movement - Hechinger loool, when I sourced from LIVE SCIENCE... wow.

Your brains are mush, and you source only to feed your bias - you dishonest Muslims lol

Scimi

Kiro
01-31-2017, 06:26 PM
shariah permits it but please turn off music and don't put on anything inappropriate

also remember, to balance your life with Islam

Zeal
01-31-2017, 07:16 PM
I am literally going crazy with Overwatch

fyi
01-31-2017, 11:58 PM
True,

but tell me honestly, if regular gamers know of carpal tunnel syndrome before they actually suffer it, or know someone to suffer it?

And tell me you know how the human condition dictates the (flawed) premise of "it won't happen to me".

I had carpal tunnel syndrome, and stopped gaming. Barrel rolling 9 times every ten seconds while trying to take a chicane at 900kph would do that though lol

Scimi

EDIT: i've now recapped this thread and read some really ignorant posts by members attempting to justify gaming as "beneficial" lol... what a load of idiots.

I cannot believ these idiots are sourcing from BBC and that blog posing as a movement - Hechinger loool, when I sourced from LIVE SCIENCE... wow.

Your brains are mush, and you source only to feed your bias - you dishonest Muslims lol

Scimi
Chilllll. You are being too fanatic :)
Also this would also mean that working as an IT engineer is wrong and doing hard work(eg port) is wrong. I mean there's no point in delving so deep into it. What Haram is haram and all the rest is ok.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.