/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Is a random number generator considered a diving arrow?

Montana
07-09-2016, 02:50 AM
If i want to pick something out of a list without showing favor to one over another, and I pray and ask Allah to help me pick the one that will do the most good, and then I use a random number generator to choose, would it be considered divination?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
greenhill
07-09-2016, 05:01 AM
Depends what you hope to achieve with the practice...

Intentions.. the Key. If you associate the result of the number generator to be a sign from Allah then it may lead to ... but if it means nothing apart from, ok! Decision made, that is what I will do first... then I am not sure anything is amiss..

:peace:

crimsontide06
07-09-2016, 12:59 PM
It is to not show bias I suppose. Kinda like coin flips at American football games, to see which team will get the ball first. In basketball games, the ball itself is thrown up and whoever gets it is first.

Depends on the situation and intention.

With your example, I think it is best to pray, then pick(not randomly). You did not tell us what it is for; school? a group of people? career choice?

Montana
07-09-2016, 09:05 PM
Like for example if I was going to sponsor an orphan, and there were a number of them to choose from, and I pray and ask Allah to help me choose the one that will generate the most good. If I was to look through them myself I would be bias because of ones situation appearing to be worse than anothers but Allah knows best what their character is, who is in the most need, and who would do good with what they are given.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
AabiruSabeel
07-09-2016, 11:00 PM
:sl:

For the above example, you can pray two Rakat of Istikhara prayer and then ask Allah to guide you and help you in choosing the best one. :ia: your heart will be inclined towards one of them and you can choose him and leave rest for Allah. That will be best choice.

Please see this thread for details: http://www.islamicboard.com/advice-s...-guidance.html

piXie
07-09-2016, 11:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Montana
If i want to pick something out of a list without showing favor to one over another, and I pray and ask Allah to help me pick the one that will do the most good, and then I use a random number generator to choose, would it be considered divination?
:sl:

I think you will find the following link useful about how the Prophet :arabic5: cast lots amongst his wives when he wanted to travel.

https://islamqa.info/en/235828

According to my limited understanding, this was a matter of fairness. With regards to matters of guidance and thought then we don't cast lots. We consult the people we trust and do istikhara. E.g. Choosing a wife, an orphan etc.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.