/* */

PDA

View Full Version : the problem about music & images that ruin my life

fawxyz
07-27-2016, 12:11 AM
hello guys
i'm not english speaker but i'll try to use my best english, hope u understand
last year i learned about islam, about music & images, and i found out that they're haram
but i can't accept that until now, how could music & images haram, music is just sound, does it means bird is haram because they're also singing ? their voice is music right ?
and why something simple as drawing is haram ?
music & images is a part of this world.
if music & images haram then what about games,movie,application that uses sound.

my work as a blogger & youtuber involved music & images. and i've used some of the money i earned from that to buy a laptop, a smartphone, etc.
now i've lost my hope, since last year what i did is only playing, i'm not working anymore.
i want to find other online business, but i realized that my laptop was bought using haram money,and my smarthphone too.

because of stress, in march i left islam, but i came back again before ramadhan.
and know my stress increase, i just feel so hopeless
sometime i thinking about leaving islam again but i afraid of God's punishment.

i don't know what to do
i feel so lazy, i'm no longer praying
i'm no longer doing salah

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Aaqib
07-27-2016, 12:46 AM
And of mankind is he who purchases idle talks (i.e. music, singing) to mislead (men) from the path of Allaah [Surah Luqman, aiyah 31:6]

I'm sorry if I say something wrong, but a bird's humming/chirping doesn't mislead believers.

But the rest, InshaAllah someone more knowledgable can come and answer the rest.

Again, if I say something wrong, I'm sorry and please someone correct me. [Maybe this thread might help you? http://www.islamicboard.com/general/134302546-pictures-images-music-im-curious.html]

drac16
07-27-2016, 03:01 AM
Salam alaykum,

There are differing opinions on music. On one hand, there are two extremes; some say that all music is haram, others hold that it is completely permissible. There is a middle ground, though. I've asked the Lord about this and He has given me the conviction that not all music is halal. He's been leading me away from what the world usually associates with music (like heavy metal, for instance. I used to be really passionate and an avid listener of heavy metal music). It's something that I still struggle with.

There are some who believe that using drums/percussion in songs is halal. There is room for disagreement. Based on what I personally have prayed about, I've been lead to believe that most music distracts one from God, so I try [and sometimes fail] to avoid mainstream types of music. It's a struggle because music used to be such a huge part of my life, but what God gives is better. If you give up listening to music with wind instruments and stringed instruments, you will grow closer to Allah. Nearness to Him is more precious than all the music in the world. Try doing something to replace music. In other words, when you desire to listen to music, do something to distract you from it.

Get involved in poetry, brother. There are tons of poems that have been written throughout history. I recommend poetry by Rumi [may Allah have mercy upon him]. Rumi's poetry has a beautiful spiritual message. There are tons of books that contain poetry by Rumi, the most famous of which is the Mathnawi, which is quite a huge collection.

I hope you will reconsider prayer. Allah azza wa jal interacts with people who pray. So many times we view prayer as just an empty ritual, but it is so much more than that. Allah sends down spiritual sustenance when you regularly pray to Him (i.e. you will become closer to Him). The spiritual nectar you recieve from Allah will give you joy. You'll stop worrying so much and you will not have as much stress in your life.

Umm Malik
07-27-2016, 03:17 PM
this is a step from shaytan...he want to make you a disbeliever instead of sinner ... Allah know best ... and subhanallah since I stopped listening to music i get feel pace in my heart and i get more inspirational ...Wileiwas music addicted ... you know music for you is a source of potboiler so at the first time you heard about it ... you can't believe that your aim stop there

For that you left Islam Wile you still fear Allah's punishment

Imagineif your mother tell your little brother "my son you can do everything you want except those morals 1,2,3....and i can forgive you if you ask me that and if i know that you are regret,but if i see you speak with that woman i will not forgive you _ and (you) are knowing that woman is the reason of the divorce between your parent_ ( may allah protect your family )

And your brother instead of doing the thing which your Mather let him to do or the things that is not are that bad for her he came and say i can't do all what you command me so i will left you and will go to that woman ... is he correct to do that ??just as in example

so don't do that .. but rather try to found what allah want from you as a good Muslim

Everyone of us have a desires ..some of them are good and others are bad and prohibited ... so if you want you can ... as you can found yourself good at that thing you can do many things else and you can do your present work but in what allah want .. in the beginning of being responsible of most of your act you will found it deffecult but belive me after a time you will found yourself an example for a lot of people who they lose*hope or want a power of being good and by the time you will found another parson with a lot of successes which you began it from zero
And remember this powerful ayah
( 69 ) And those who strive for Us - We will surely guide them to Our ways. And indeed, Allah is with the doers of good.
Alankabut 69
See how allah can give his servent when he submit to him
( 37 ) So her Lord accepted her with good acceptance and caused her to grow in a good manner and put her in the care of Zechariah. Every time Zechariah entered upon her in the prayer chamber, he found with her provision. He said, "O Mary, from where is this [coming] to you?" She said, "It is from Allah. Indeed, Allah provides for whom He wills without account."

( 38 ) At that, Zechariah called upon his Lord, saying, "My Lord, grant me from Yourself a good offspring. Indeed, You are the Hearer of supplication."
( 39 ) So the angels called him while he was standing in prayer in the chamber, "Indeed, Allah gives you good tidings of John, confirming a word from Allah and [who will be] honorable, abstaining [from women], and a prophet from among the righteous." Ala_imran 38.39

( 53 ) And they urge you to hasten the punishment. And if not for [the decree of] a specified term, punishment would have reached them. But it will surely come to them suddenly while they perceive not.
( 54 ) They urge you to hasten the punishment. And indeed, Hell will be encompassing of the disbelievers
( 55 ) On the Day the punishment will cover them from above them and from below their feet and it is said, "Taste [the result of] what you used to do."
( 56 ) O My servants who have believed, indeed My earth is spacious, so worship only Me.
( 57 ) Every soul will taste death. Then to Us will you be returned.
( 58 ) And those who have believed and done righteous deeds - We will surely assign to them of Paradise [elevated] chambers beneath which rivers flow, wherein they abide eternally. Excellent is the reward of the [righteous] workers
( 59 ) Who have been patient and upon their Lord rely.
( 60 ) And how many a creature carries not its [own] provision. Allah provides for it and for you. And He is the Hearing, the Knowing.
( 61 ) If you asked them, "Who created the heavens and earth and subjected the sun and the moon?" they would surely say, "Allah." Then how are they deluded?
( 62 ) Allah extends provision for whom He wills of His servants and restricts for him. Indeed Allah is, of all things, Knowing.
alankabut 59_61

try to work with the way thatallah want

And I promise you that he will give better than what you get now

yes .. you may have some difficulty and tests in the beginning, but after every test there is a gift for both Dunya and alkhira( this life and the hearafter)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
greenhill
07-27-2016, 03:31 PM
Welcome to the forum.

Facing a big hurdle and already giving up? Perhaps lack of ideas?

What is it? Let's hope it is not used as an excuse to be lazy.

There are threads out there, plenty about music. But bottom line, it can distract us for prolonged periods...

Wishing you a great stay.

:peace:

Yahya.
07-27-2016, 04:33 PM
“None of you [truly] believes until his desires are subservient to that which I have brought.”
Imam Nawawi 40 Hadith, Hadith no. 41

This world isn't for entertainment, although many of it is permitted. It wouldn't be a right question to ask ''Why is this halal, why is this haram'', it could be forbidden just to see if we will obey Allah.

I didn't read all replies, but I saw that someone already mentioned it, there is a difference of opinions on music. But what is for sure is that music means instruments, so voices (especially not that of birds :D ) are not included.

And instead of drawing living creations, you could draw nature landscape etc., or maybe start practicing calligraphy :)

I also used to play a MMO game for many years but I quit it alhamdulillah, it's just time waste.

aaj
07-27-2016, 05:15 PM
There is no "difference opinion" as some would like to say. The ahadith are clear on it being haram, especially this one:

The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said:

“Among my ummah there will certainly be people who permit zinaa, silk, alcohol and musical instruments…” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari ta’leeqan, no. 5590; narrated as mawsool by al-Tabaraani and al-Bayhaqi. See al-Silsilah al-Saheehah by al-Albaani, 91).

Ibn al-Qayyim (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: This is a saheeh hadeeth narrated by al-Bukhaari in his Saheeh, where he quoted it as evidence and stated that it is mu’allaq and majzoom. He said: Chapter on what was narrated concerning those who permit alcohol and call it by another name.

This hadeeth indicates in two ways that musical instruments and enjoyment of listening to music are haraam. The first is the fact that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “[they] permit” which clearly indicates that the things mentioned, including musical instruments, are haraam according to sharee’ah, but those people will permit them. The second is the fact that musical instruments are mentioned alongside things which are definitely known to be haraam, i.e., zinaa and alcohol: if they (musical instruments) were not haraam, why would they be mentioned alongside these things? (adapted from al-Silsilah al-Saheehah by al-Albaani, 1/140-141)

Shaykh al-Islam (Ibn Taymiyah) (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: This hadeeth indicates that ma’aazif are haraam, and ma’aazif means musical instruments according to the scholars of (Arabic) language. This word includes all such instruments. (al-Majmoo’, 11/535).

As can be seen from above, music is being referred to as musical instruments. Animals and natural noises of the world don't come into that. And there's other exceptions as well, such as a duff or one sided drum, which is allowed at times of celebration and to make announcements/call people. But even then the duff was used by the women to sing and celebrate at weddings, not for men to partake in. Getting Gitty with it isn't really a manly trait. With that said, nasheeds are deemed halal so you're not totally out of luck from listening to "music".

As for the normal music (instruments), it is an invention of the shaytan to lead men astray and research studies have shown it to alter the mindset of the listeners. You have to understand that in this grand "circle of life" we are all organic beings and can be influenced by seen and unseen things of this world, be it jinns, sound waves, electromagnetic waves, sun rays, etc. Even the very DNA, the building block of who you are, can be changed by what you eat and your living environment.

As for images. Drawing animate images is forbidden as it is an act of imitation of Allah. As for photography, that has a difference of opinion on it since it catches the actual image rather then creating one by hand from one's mind. As for digital artwork, that is allowed so long as it stays digital and not made into hard copies.

That's about the jist of it, and you can find supporting evidence for everything stated above.

Regarding your work. If it's digital artwork then inshallah should be ok to keep that. As for youtube stuff, you can replace regular music with duff music .

As for your lack of prayer. That is no different than leaving Islam. Prophet (saw) said this is what separates us from the non-believers, whoever abandons it is not one of us. It's as simple as that. So regardless of what sin you commit, inshallah always repent and never give up salaah.

noraina
07-27-2016, 06:24 PM
Assalamu alaykum,

Bro, I think your questions can be best answered by this ayat from the Qur'an,

“And it may be that you dislike a thing which is good for you and that you like a thing which is bad for you. Allah knows but you do not know.” (AI-Baqarah, 2:216)

This sums everything up perfectly, as humans we are imperfect, we don't know the long-term or unknown benefits or disadvantages to something until it is too late....Allah swt knows and that is why He has set down certain commandments for us to follow. For example alcohol - people take it for the thrill and comfort it provides, but for both the individual and society it's long-term benefits are catastrophic.

In a more long-term protection measure, music (the instruments, not birds) and drawing images are also prohibited for the greater good of both society and ourselves as individuals. It can be difficult for us to see the immediate harm, however Allah swt does know what it can lead to - however good we may think our intentions are, it can lead to sin and surely prevention is better than cure?

I loved listening to music and drawing portraits, I admit I left them with some reluctance, and now after some time I am beginning to see the benefits unfold alhamdulillah.

The fact you fear Allah swt means you still have faith, so do not give up your salah - because if you lose that you have lost any hope of improving yourself further. Sometimes it can be hard but this life was never meant to be Jannah, following Islam won't always be easy but we must find comfort in the fact that if we obey what Allah swt says there will *always* be goodness in it, even if we cannot see it. It's a matter of trusting in Him.

I believe you can keep your laptop of it would be difficult for you to replace it, see if this answers your question: https://islamqa.info/en/103918

KIP
07-29-2016, 11:01 AM
According to Islam, didn't Allah create music? As he created everything? If music is joyful and not about love or other things, just playing, isn't that a gift from Allah?

Aaqib
07-29-2016, 01:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by KIP
According to Islam, didn't Allah create music? As he created everything? If music is joyful and not about love or other things, just playing, isn't that a gift from Allah?
Allah created evil, and some aiyahs to prove are: "From the evil of that which He created" (Surah Falaq, aiayah 2)

And Allah says that music, in the quran, that music is prohibited, as along does prophet (saw) say that music is prohibited. So, I believe this means all types of Music, as this could mislead us from reciting/listening to the Qur'an.

So, I don't believe it is a gift.

Salam, and welcome to the forums!

KIP
07-30-2016, 11:51 AM
So music is evil.. seriously?

sister herb
07-30-2016, 12:29 PM
So music is evil.. seriously?
Seriously as if it´s mentioned in the Quran. We can´t take those words lightly as the message which is in there is the basic of our religion and belief.

KIP
07-30-2016, 12:37 PM
Ok, so why is music haram, exactly. Why does Allah and the prophet say it is wrong?

piXie
07-30-2016, 01:57 PM
Ok, so why is music haram, exactly. Why does Allah and the prophet say it is wrong?
I thing you should start by understanding the basics n fundamentals of Islam first...

MisterK
07-30-2016, 07:00 PM
I say this acknowledging that I haven't read any of the hadiths that may expand on it, but it was my understanding that it wasn't music in general, but music that could influence/distract/challenge one's faith. I can understand music by someone like Greydon Square (an atheist rapper) being haram, but not music in general.

Or is it a case of avoiding music in general because it can lead to haram, which then would make it haram. For example, say, Billy Joel. A lot of his songs I see as being completely innocent, but then I could see some having messages that suggest acts that are themselves haram, and thus thise songs would be haram. So then even listening to the innocent songs would become haram as they could serve as an opening to the overtly haram songs.

Am I in the ball park with this?

Little_Lion
07-31-2016, 03:37 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by MisterK
I say this acknowledging that I haven't read any of the hadiths that may expand on it, but it was my understanding that it wasn't music in general, but music that could influence/distract/challenge one's faith. I can understand music by someone like Greydon Square (an atheist rapper) being haram, but not music in general.

Or is it a case of avoiding music in general because it can lead to haram, which then would make it haram. For example, say, Billy Joel. A lot of his songs I see as being completely innocent, but then I could see some having messages that suggest acts that are themselves haram, and thus thise songs would be haram. So then even listening to the innocent songs would become haram as they could serve as an opening to the overtly haram songs.

Am I in the ball park with this?
I can perhaps offer some unique insight on this as I am just recently returned to Islam, while working a job many consider to be haraam: I am a radio personality for a classic rock station. And yes, we play Billy Joel. :)

When you really sit down and listen to the music, it is amazing, and frankly quite disgusting, how much of it is intended to lead from the path of Allah. You have the very obvious songs, like "Girls Girls Girls" by Motley Crue (which is just a list of strip clubs) to a great deal of songs by Van Halen (especially during the David Lee Roth and "Hot For Teacher" days), to the slightly less obvious songs (Tom Petty and drugs, Pink Floyd and drugs) to the "well, is it really against Allah?" songs ("We Didn't Start The Fire" by Billy Joel would be a good example).

The issue comes, to those who view all music as haraam - though many of these do accept nasheed, or music about Allah that is performed without instruments or with a simple drum - in that these songs, no matter how innocent they may be, detract from one's thoughts of Allah. Even instrumental music, that to the listener has no message, is seen to be haraam because one should be listening to enjoyable things that bring them closer to Allah, such as a recitation of the Qur'an. But it is the innocence of some music, like instrumentals, or nasheed played with instruments, that lead some Muslims to consider music, or some kinds of it, acceptable. But whether one considers music as halal or haram, I think all Muslims agree on this: using the voice in remembrance of Allah is indeed best.

I won't go into my personal views on it other than to say while they are fairly liberal for Islam, I am still looking for a new job. As much as I like Queen, "Fat Bottomed Girls" makes me too uncomfortable now at my work. :) Insha'Allah I will be able to leave the station soon and still be able to achieve an income for my monthly bills with my disability.

Aaqib
07-31-2016, 06:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Australop
I think its because as Muslims we do not create anything so why should we admire the great works of art and classical music of the developed world. If we did it would drive us to look inward and that would be scary for us to face our empty contributions to the humanities. Better for us to stay arrogant.
What?
We've contributed to society many times before: http://mudassirsworld.blogspot.com/2...-humanity.html

Some listed in that blogpost.

Ummshareef
08-02-2016, 05:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by fawxyz
i don't know what to do
Assalaam aleykum,

Brother, please make returning to regular salah your top priority and you will find this helps everything else fall back in place in sha'Allah.

M.I.A.
08-02-2016, 10:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by fawxyz
hello guys
i'm not english speaker but i'll try to use my best english, hope u understand
last year i learned about islam, about music & images, and i found out that they're haram
but i can't accept that until now, how could music & images haram, music is just sound, does it means bird is haram because they're also singing ? their voice is music right ?
and why something simple as drawing is haram ?
music & images is a part of this world.
if music & images haram then what about games,movie,application that uses sound.

my work as a blogger & youtuber involved music & images. and i've used some of the money i earned from that to buy a laptop, a smartphone, etc.
now i've lost my hope, since last year what i did is only playing, i'm not working anymore.
i want to find other online business, but i realized that my laptop was bought using haram money,and my smarthphone too.

because of stress, in march i left islam, but i came back again before ramadhan.
and know my stress increase, i just feel so hopeless
sometime i thinking about leaving islam again but i afraid of God's punishment.

i don't know what to do
...what you need to do is donate the things you bought to people less fortunate.

Although the original money still came from haram.

then you need to deal with only Muslims.. and do history checks on them to see where they get money from.

Maybe you should join the police...

depending on which country you live in.

if you take the road less travelled.. don't expect to meet many people.

you miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

...buy more motivational posters with nice scenery.

Maybe you should become a window cleaner.

plz don't be depressed, it's a downward spiral.

...homeless people make tons of money although you should stay away from drugs.

one man's generosity is another's greed.. well at least while someone's paying for it anyway.

...wait there is more!!

so now the music and the pictures are in the handsmallest of people who could care even less about islam than you have at points.

please refer to the fireman Sam incident..

Maybe you could go join isis... and watch your face drop when they ask you to add music to the videos they produce...

but the purity of concept :|

aaj
08-08-2016, 02:34 PM
“And of mankind is he who purchases idle talks (i.e. music, singing) to mislead (men) from the path of Allaah…” [Luqmaan 31:6]

Al-Hasan al-Basri (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: this aayah was revealed concerning singing and musical instruments . (Tafseer Ibn Katheer, 3/451).

“[Allaah said to Iblees (satan):] And befool them gradually those whom you can among them with your voice (i.e. songs, music, and any other call for Allaah’s disobedience)…” [al-Israa’ 17:64]

I can't share links yet, google how music was created by menk

“Do you then wonder at this recitation (the Qur’aan)?

And you laugh at it and weep not,

Wasting your (precious) lifetime in pastime and amusements (singing)”

[al-Najm 53:59-61]

When they [the kuffaar] heard the Qur’aan, they would sing, then this aayah was revealed.

The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said:
“Among my ummah there will certainly be people who permit zinaa, silk, alcohol and musical instruments…” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari ta’leeqan, no. 5590; narrated as mawsool by al-Tabaraani and al-Bayhaqi. See al-Silsilah al-Saheehah by al-Albaani, 91).

This hadeeth indicates in two ways that musical instruments and enjoyment of listening to music are haraam. The first is the fact that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “[they] permit” which clearly indicates that the things mentioned, including musical instruments, are haraam according to sharee’ah, but those people will permit them. The second is the fact that musical instruments are mentioned alongside things which are definitely known to be haraam, i.e., zinaa and alcohol: if they (musical instruments) were not haraam, why would they be mentioned alongside these things? (adapted from al-Silsilah al-Saheehah by al-Albaani, 1/140-141)

There are numerous studis done on the effect of the music on the human brain and its influence on human behavior. That effect can be positive or negative. Most listen to music for time pass (wasting time), escape from life/reality, or other similar reason. Considering the quality and type of music these days, it also influence them negativley in engaging in inapropriate and unislamic behavior, such as drugs, promiscuity, violent behavior, foul language, etc.

Huzaifah ibn Adam
08-08-2016, 05:48 PM
The students of Shaykh Ahmad Jibreel wrote a nice article on the issue of music, which I reproduce below:

----------------------

Music in Islam
(Plain and Simple)

Music in Islam and why those who deny it is haram are commiting an act of kufer. (The rule in islam "denying something in islam that haram to being halal or something halal to being haram is kufer" it renders one a non beliver.) The qur'an and hadeeth, along with the statements of the companions and salaf confirm the prohibition of music.

Surah Luqmaan:06 'and there are among men those who purchase idle talk (music and poetry) in order to mislead others from Allah's path without knowledge, and who throw ridicule upon it 'Idle talk has been interpreted to mean singing, listening and playing of musical intruments by various scholars and companions including Abdullah Ibn Masood ans Abdullah Ibn Abbas. Masood when questioned about the term Idle Talk replied 'I swear besides whom there is no other God, that it refers to singing (ghinaa).

Contrary to popular belief there are a number of Sahih (Authentic) Hadeeth which clearly point to the fact that music, instruments, singing to the accompaniment of instruments etc. are prohibited by the Shari'ah.

Sahih Bukhari> 'there will be those of my Ummah who will seek to make lawful: fornication, the wearing of silk, wine drinking and the use of musical instruments..' The words, 'seek to make lawful', shows that music is not permissible. Furthermore the prohibition of music is mentioned along with major sins like drinking and fornication.

Ibn Majah, Abu Dawood and Ibn Habban>> 'A people of my Ummah will drink wine, calling it by other than that, it's real name. Merriment will be made for them through the playing of musical instruments and the singing of female singers. Allah will cleave the Earth under them and turn others into Apes and Pigs'

There are Hadeeths by Haakim Al Mustadrak, Musad Ahmad Ibn Hanbal and Majma uz Zawaaid that say 'Two cursed sounds are that of the wind instrument and that of wailing upon the occurrence of adversity'

Bukhari & Muslim both quote 'Remember! To fill a persons stomach with puss is better than to fill it with poems.'
There are those who will argue that the prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم liked the sound of the Duff (a small hand drum without steel jingles) The beating of the Duff at weddings was not for the purpose of music, it was to announce the wedding.

An Nasee&Tirmidhi>> 'that which distinguishes the allowed marriage from the forbidden is the sound of the duff'
Though the scholars argue that the use of the duff was even only allowed for women.The duff was used by Arabs without rhythm, melody or any trace of immorality.

In the highly regarded book on fiqu and fatawa FATAWA RAHIMIYAH, it states 'Quawwali ,tabla and musical intruments etc. are absolutley prohibited (haram). It is reported in the Musand of Ibn Abi Al-Dinar that the holy prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم said "In the last era a community from this Ummah will be transformed into monkeys and swines" The companions said "oh apostle of Allah! Will they not be believing in the Kalima 'there is no deity but Allah and Mohammed is his apostle'?" the prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم said "why not?" the companions asked "then what will be the reason for this punishment?" the prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم replied "they will adopt the profession of singing and music" he also said "It is a sin to hear music, it is a fault to sit at a musical fete and it is infidelity to derive pleasure from it" (Nisab, b.52,p 103, DM&S vol 5 p 306)

The great Imams, Imam Abu Hanifa, Imam Shafi & Imam Malik all declared the playing of and listening to of music Haram.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.