/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Women and Islamic Lectures

Little_Lion
07-31-2016, 02:31 PM
I live somewhere very far from where they give Islamic lectures (I even live far from a masjid!). So, I watch them on Youtube, PeaceTV, and GuideUs TV. Whenever they show the audience, they show only men. Do women not attend these lectures, or do they not show the women in the audience to protect them? Sometimes, it is very obvious there are only men there because they will show the entire audience and no women are in attendance. Are there public lectures where women are not allowed? I would very much like to travel to hear some lectures in the future insha'Allah, but am worried that I will not be welcome or will be turned away.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
greenhill
07-31-2016, 03:28 PM
Sometimes these lectures are done in masjids where it is encouraged that men do congregational prayers. Women generally do it at home although there is no law to stop them. But if they do go, they would generally be seated in a separate area, in accordance to islamic ways. So it would not be surprising not to see free mixing.

:peace:

sister herb
07-31-2016, 03:43 PM
Interesting question. I found something about segregation of genders - when men and women need their own areas while listening the lecture. Hopely this isn´t too much off topic.

http://islamicsystem.blogspot.fi/200...to-mixing.html

Little_Lion
07-31-2016, 04:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sister herb
Interesting question. I found something about segregation of genders - when men and women need their own areas while listening the lecture. Hopely this isn´t too much off topic.

http://islamicsystem.blogspot.fi/200...to-mixing.html
I think that it is very on topic, as it specifically mentions such things as lectures (and the cinema, which I had not thought of, but they make a good point). Thank you for sharing!

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
noraina
07-31-2016, 05:23 PM
I've never been to a lecture before tbh (like you I live far from any mosques or anything), although I have seen women-only lectures, or in a mosque the men and women are separated by a screen, or the women are placed right at the back. In a nearby mosque sometimes the women be in another room and they hear the lecture via speakers.

On the television, on some lectures if you look closely you miiiiiight be able to see some hijabi heads right at the back ;) I think they deliberately don't film the women - I certainly wouldn't want to be filmed!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.