/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Taking Notes

noraina
08-06-2016, 06:30 PM
Assalamu alaykum,

So I want to focus on learning the deen a little more inshaAllah, with lectures or books or whatever I get my hands on. I'm just having a problem with writing notes and how to organise them properly.

I haven't really listened to any type of lecture before and when writing from books I just used to write out the whole sentance. With Islamic knowledge that doesn't seem too practical but I've discovered I'm awful at writing notes. As you've probably seen from my posts I write loooong explanations and don't like to condense things lol, so I'm stuck figuring out a way to write helpful notes in sufficient depth but also notes that don't take an impractical amount of times to write, so I can write them really quickly but with enough detail.

Any tips?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Arfa
08-06-2016, 07:10 PM
Walikumassalam sister,

It's easier to use a mini notebook computer or laptop if you have a good typing speed. I have an okay typing speed but I find it easier to use.

Abz2000
08-06-2016, 07:11 PM
I went to a class one day in college on media studies and how to lengthen or shorten an article, but usually find that it's better to explain clearly and be as articulate as possible if there's a slight chance your words might be misinterpreted so i stuck with long stuff.
Anyways, God and His final messenger Muhammad pbuh used concise speech (jawaami al kalim), our task it appears is to convey verbatim or expound. I use multi-coloured hilighter pens on my Quran, bible and sahih hadith books for the sake of quick reference.
If anyone finds it boring that's their own issue. Why risk having your words taken out of proper context?

strivingobserver98
08-07-2016, 12:17 AM
:wa:

I had the same problem too! So annoying when you write exact same thing the speaker says and end up with 5 pages notes lol.

Hope these tips help :):

May Allah :swt: reward your efforts.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
noraina
08-07-2016, 07:01 AM
Allahumma ameen.

JazakAllah khayr for the tips...I'm going to have to practise the art of taking notes so I can write quickly but not risk losing the central meaning.

One time I went to listen to a talk on psychology, I thought I'd take notes but I was trying to write so much it became unreadable in the end even for me, three pages of writing I couldn't understand - so much for that, lol.

eesa the kiwi
08-07-2016, 08:27 AM
have you looked at http://www.islamiconlineuniversity.com/

they have a free diploma in islamic studies

Reader
08-07-2016, 09:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by noraina
Assalamu alaykum,

So I want to focus on learning the deen a little more inshaAllah, with lectures or books or whatever I get my hands on. I'm just having a problem with writing notes and how to organise them properly.

I haven't really listened to any type of lecture before and when writing from books I just used to write out the whole sentance. With Islamic knowledge that doesn't seem too practical but I've discovered I'm awful at writing notes. As you've probably seen from my posts I write loooong explanations and don't like to condense things lol, so I'm stuck figuring out a way to write helpful notes in sufficient depth but also notes that don't take an impractical amount of times to write, so I can write them really quickly but with enough detail.

Any tips?
I have the exact same problem :(

I can take notes on normal subjects (biology, etc) but when it comes to Islamic studies I end up feeling like every ayah, every reference, every detail is important and hence I get trouble making notes and organizing when there is so much to record subhanallah.

I hope things work out. I think when reading books like al barzakh, etc to just read it for enjoyment and spiritual development and to maybe take notes on ayat and write a title on what it refers too (the reality of death- ayah). Just so it can stay there as a reminder.

But I try to focus on making notes and referencing books with a academic focus, like when reading a book of aqeedah or seerah. Al Barzakh, Dreamers Handbook, etc are about death, the hereafter, and dreams so although they are important I will pick it up when I want to increase my iman or learn something but pick up aqeedah or seerah or something when wanting to learn the deen specifically and then note take and treat it as a textbook session.

Sorry....prob not the best advice, I have this issue too with note taking. In sha allah I will post if I figure something out.

noraina
08-08-2016, 11:45 AM
Exactly sis, when studying Islam each point just seems so important, and I'm so worried about misunderstanding or interpreting something that I feel like I need to just write everything I hear or read down.

My handwriting is quite loopy and trailing on a good day and if I'm rushed it just goes all spidery lol.

At the moment I'm studying aqeedah and Arabic - inshaAllah I want to study more formally when I get the chance but at the moment I want to get a good grasp of the basics, which I'm realising I don't know much about. But yes I found it helps if you treat it like formal schoolwork or a lesson you'll be marked for, you concentrate more on what you're doing.

Umm Malik
08-08-2016, 03:39 PM
I have this problem also because I feel like every word is important but after a time you will be faster in both hand writing and typing ... and also you will found it easy to know which is important
Is also good to write what you understand not and to copy just the quotes of the great oulamaae or hadith or ayat
May Allah help you and reward you sister
Amen

Umm Malik
08-08-2016, 03:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by noraina
Exactly sis, when studying Islam each point just seems so important, and I'm so worried about misunderstanding or interpreting something that I feel like I need to just write everything I hear or read down.

My handwriting is quite loopy and trailing on a good day and if I'm rushed it just goes all spidery lol.

At the moment I'm studying aqeedah and Arabic - inshaAllah I want to study more formally when I get the chance but at the moment I want to get a good grasp of the basics, which I'm realising I don't know much about. But yes I found it helps if you treat it like formal schoolwork or a lesson you'll be marked for, you concentrate more on what you're doing.
Mashallah sister!! keep on that way
That's very good deed
may Allah help you to do more

noraina
08-08-2016, 03:53 PM
Ameen thumma ameen. :)

aaj
08-08-2016, 04:13 PM
A. Two Techniques always helped me.

1. write in an outline form, like how i'm writing this reponse
2. rephrase it in your own words
what would you say if you had to re-explain to someone else

B. Information available online

Use bullets, dividers, numbering, pictures, diagrams, symbols, and highlighters.

There are many ways to make your notes easier to read. Use bullets to separate pieces of information that belong together but would be easier to absorb separately. Dividers are good if your teacher chooses to jump from topic to topic. Number things that go in order, and use stars to draw the eye to important information. Pictures and diagrams can make information easy to absorb, and highlighters can help to visually separate multiple pieces of information. Just make sure to use these components in moderation- a page covered in highlighted sentences and stars may look pretty, but it's seriously distracting. The purpose in using the highlighter is to attract the eye to the certain piece of information that you need to know for a test or exam. Everyone has a different note taking style, so figure out what works for you!

Develop a notetaking method that works for you.

Fine-tune the structure and organization of your notes to increase your notetaking speed and comprehension later.

• Start each new lecture on a new page, and date and number each page. The sequence of material is important.
  • Write on one side of the paper only. You can set them out side-by-side for easier reviewing when studying for an exam.
  • Leave blank spaces. This allows you to add comments or note questions later.
  • Make your notes as brief as possible. “Never use a sentence when you can use a phrase, or a phrase when you can use a word” (Berkeley).
  • Develop a system of abbreviations and symbols you can use wherever possible.
  • Note all unfamiliar vocabulary or concepts you don’t understand. This reminds you to look them up later.

Pay close attention to content.

Knowing what and how much to write down is sometimes difficult. Rely on some of the following tips for what to include in your notes.

• Details, facts, or explanations that expand or explain the main points that are mentioned. Don’t forget examples.
  • Definitions, word for word.
  • Enumerations or lists of things that are discussed.
  • Material written on the chalkboard or on a transparency, including drawings or charts.
  • Information that is repeated or spelled out. (University of Texas at Austin)

Review and edit your notes.

Academic skills centers and other authorities on effective study skills consider reviewing and editing class notes to be the most important part of notetaking and essential to increasing learning capacity.

• It is extremely important to review your notes within 24 hours.
  • Edit for words and phrases that are illegible or don’t make sense. Write out abbreviated words that might be unclear later.
  • Edit with a different colored pen to distinguish between what you wrote in class and what you filled in later.
  • Fill in key words and questions in the left-hand column.
  • Note anything you don’t understand by underlining or highlighting to remind you to ask the instructor.
  • Compare your notes with the textbook reading and fill in important details in the blank spaces you left.
  • Consider rewriting or typing up your notes.

noraina
08-09-2016, 02:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aaj
A. Two Techniques always helped me.

1. write in an outline form, like how i'm writing this reponse
2. rephrase it in your own words
what would you say if you had to re-explain to someone else

B. Information available online

Use bullets, dividers, numbering, pictures, diagrams, symbols, and highlighters.

There are many ways to make your notes easier to read. Use bullets to separate pieces of information that belong together but would be easier to absorb separately. Dividers are good if your teacher chooses to jump from topic to topic. Number things that go in order, and use stars to draw the eye to important information. Pictures and diagrams can make information easy to absorb, and highlighters can help to visually separate multiple pieces of information. Just make sure to use these components in moderation- a page covered in highlighted sentences and stars may look pretty, but it's seriously distracting. The purpose in using the highlighter is to attract the eye to the certain piece of information that you need to know for a test or exam. Everyone has a different note taking style, so figure out what works for you!

Develop a notetaking method that works for you.

Fine-tune the structure and organization of your notes to increase your notetaking speed and comprehension later.

• Start each new lecture on a new page, and date and number each page. The sequence of material is important.
  • Write on one side of the paper only. You can set them out side-by-side for easier reviewing when studying for an exam.
  • Leave blank spaces. This allows you to add comments or note questions later.
  • Make your notes as brief as possible. “Never use a sentence when you can use a phrase, or a phrase when you can use a word” (Berkeley).
  • Develop a system of abbreviations and symbols you can use wherever possible.
  • Note all unfamiliar vocabulary or concepts you don’t understand. This reminds you to look them up later.

Pay close attention to content.

Knowing what and how much to write down is sometimes difficult. Rely on some of the following tips for what to include in your notes.

• Details, facts, or explanations that expand or explain the main points that are mentioned. Don’t forget examples.
  • Definitions, word for word.
  • Enumerations or lists of things that are discussed.
  • Material written on the chalkboard or on a transparency, including drawings or charts.
  • Information that is repeated or spelled out. (University of Texas at Austin)

Review and edit your notes.

Academic skills centers and other authorities on effective study skills consider reviewing and editing class notes to be the most important part of notetaking and essential to increasing learning capacity.

• It is extremely important to review your notes within 24 hours.
  • Edit for words and phrases that are illegible or don’t make sense. Write out abbreviated words that might be unclear later.
  • Edit with a different colored pen to distinguish between what you wrote in class and what you filled in later.
  • Fill in key words and questions in the left-hand column.
  • Note anything you don’t understand by underlining or highlighting to remind you to ask the instructor.
  • Compare your notes with the textbook reading and fill in important details in the blank spaces you left.
  • Consider rewriting or typing up your notes.
JazakAllah khayr for this ukhti :)....that point about leaving blank spaces for extra details later on is genius as well as utter common sense, lol.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.