/* */

PDA

View Full Version : The Hijab.

Islamia2k
08-12-2016, 06:25 AM
Salamualakum!
I've been wearing the hijab for 3 years now. Yet I quite don't understand who we can take it off with and with who we keep it on. I know that I don't need to wear the hijab in front of my father, brothers, uncles and future husband and kids (inshAllah). Do I wear it in front of my cousins too? Aren't they like blood related to me, which then I don't wear it? Because back in my country, my father's family lives together in one house. Which means a lot of cousins live there too. Their ages range from my age to new borns. Whenever I visit, I take the hijab off in front of them. Recently my mom's told me that I need to wear it in front of cousins as well. How am I supposed to do that?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
noraina
08-12-2016, 10:55 AM
Wa alaykum assalam,

Cousins are not your mahrams ukhti, that's why we have to observe hijab in front of them. If you have male cousins who are in their teens or above, then yes hijab is required - they are blood relations but marriage to them is also possible. Once my uncle and his sons came to visit - while I didn't have to wear hijab in front of my uncle (dad's brother) I did in front of them, it's not so bad wearing your hijab in the house if you have to.

This is a really detailed response (this issue used to confuse me too).

https://islamqa.info/en/5538

Steven Caro
08-12-2016, 12:03 PM
Forgive me for deviating sightly but does it even say you have to wear it in the Quran? This is from the surah referring to this...'And tell the believing women to reduce [some] of their vision and guard their private parts and not expose their adornment except that which [necessarily] appears thereof and to wrap [a portion of] their headcovers over their chests and not expose their adornment...'

Now I understand why a Middle Eastern woman would wear a head scarf in desert countries. Sand has a habit of getting everywhere. But All the verse says is to cover your chests etc. It doesn't say that you must wear a headscarf foremost. It just takes for granted that's what a woman would be wearing in 7th century Arabia. Why wear a headscarf in countries where sand isn't a problem? You can still be modest and cover your chest and legs surely whilst not using a headscarf. There seems to be no indication that it is necessary to cover your head to please God. Merely, be modest and don't flaunt it because some men can be bad. Most western men are quiet capable of controlling themselves around uncovered women as are most Arab men I would hope. I understand you might feel better wearing it for some reason or other and that's your choice of course. Reducing vision surely means to not stare. The whole hijab thing has been subtly worked into the Islamic ideology by men who ultimately misunderstand and in some cases fear female sexuality and strength.

M.I.A.
08-12-2016, 12:14 PM
Google search arab man..

Google search arab women.. yeah maybe not..

I think the picture you have in mind resembles the Arab man search more than the Arab women search.

does it not?

hardly nun's on the run, but almost.

incidentally I rather liked the new ghost busters.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Abz2000
08-12-2016, 12:23 PM
Ali (ra) married Faatimah (ra), and she was his cousin (pbuh)'s daughter.

The Prophet (pbuh) is also reported to have proposed to Abu Taalib for his hand in marriage to Umm Haani in the days before Prophethood.

Cousins are non-mahrams and veil is to be observed.

Btw, i've come to learn after studying Arabic a little myself that hijaab actually means screen as in veil and not just headscarf, although the ruling the headscarf is stronger than that of the veil - depending on the situation and circumstances, i was just watching "the golden child" and just the face of that fit woman was enough to rivet my attention and difficult to keep looking down, omg that is one bone lifter.

(11)Chapter: The characteristics of Iblis (Satan) and his soldiers(11)

)باب صِفَةِ إِبْلِيسَ وَجُنُودِهِوَقَالَ مُجَاهِدٌ: {يُقْذَفُونَ** يُرْمَوْنَ.*{دُحُورًا** مَطْرُودِينَ.*{وَاصِبٌ** دَائِمٌ.*وَقَالَ ابْنُ عَبَّاسٍ: {مَدْحُورًا** مَطْرُودًا يُقَالُ: {مَرِيدًا** مُتَمَرِّدًا. بَتَّكَهُ قَطَّعَهُ.*{وَاسْتَفْزِزْ** اسْتَخِفَّ.*{بِخَيْلِكَ** الْفُرْسَانُ. وَالرَّجْلُ الرَّجَّالَةُ وَاحِدُهَا رَاجِلٌ مِثْلُ صَاحِبٍ وَصَحْبٍ، وَتَاجِرٍ وَتَجْرٍ، {لأَحْتَنِكَنَّ** لأَسْتَأْصِلَنَّ.*{قَرِينٌ* * شَيْطَانٌ.Narrated Sa`d bin Abi Waqqas:

Once `Umar asked the leave to see Allah's Messenger
(ﷺ) in whose company there were some Quraishi women who were talking to him and asking him for more financial support raising their voices.
When `Umar asked permission to enter the women got up (quickly) hurrying to screen themselves. When Allah's Messenger (ﷺ) admitted `Umar, Allah's Messenger (ﷺ) was smiling,
`Umar asked, "O Allah's Messenger (ﷺ)! May Allah keep you in happiness always."
Allah's Messenger (ﷺ) said, "I am astonished at these women who were with me. As soon as they heard your voice, they hastened to screen themselves."
`Umar said, "O Allah's Apostle! You have more right to be feared by them."
Then he addressed (those women) saying, "O enemies of your own souls! Do you fear me and not Allah's Messenger (ﷺ) ?"
They replied. "Yes, for you are a fearful and fierce man as compared with Allah's Messenger (ﷺ)."
On that Allah's Messenger (ﷺ) said (to `Umar), "By Him in Whose Hands my life is, whenever Satan sees you taking a path, he follows a path other than yours.

."حَدَّثَنَا عَلِيُّ بْنُ عَبْدِ اللَّهِ، حَدَّثَنَا يَعْقُوبُ بْنُ إِبْرَاهِيمَ، حَدَّثَنَا أَبِي، عَنْ صَالِحٍ، عَنِ ابْنِ شِهَابٍ، قَالَ أَخْبَرَنِي عَبْدُ الْحَمِيدِ بْنُ عَبْدِ الرَّحْمَنِ بْنِ زَيْدٍ، أَنَّ مُحَمَّدَ بْنَ سَعْدِ بْنِ أَبِي وَقَّاصٍ، أَخْبَرَهُ أَنَّ أَبَاهُ سَعْدَ بْنَ أَبِي وَقَّاصٍ قَالَ اسْتَأْذَنَ عُمَرُ عَلَى رَسُولِ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم، وَعِنْدَهُ نِسَاءٌ مِنْ قُرَيْشٍ يُكَلِّمْنَهُ وَيَسْتَكْثِرْنَهُ، عَالِيَةً أَصْوَاتُهُنَّ، فَلَمَّا اسْتَأْذَنَ عُمَرُ، قُمْنَ يَبْتَدِرْنَ الْحِجَابَ، فَأَذِنَ لَهُ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم، وَرَسُولُ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم يَضْحَكُ، فَقَالَ عُمَرُ أَضْحَكَ اللَّهُ سِنَّكَ يَا رَسُولَ اللَّهِ‏.‏ قَالَ ‏"‏ عَجِبْتُ مِنْ هَؤُلاَءِ اللاَّتِي كُنَّ عِنْدِي، فَلَمَّا سَمِعْنَ صَوْتَكَ ابْتَدَرْنَ الْحِجَابَ ‏"‏‏.‏ قَالَ عُمَرُ فَأَنْتَ يَا رَسُولَ اللَّهِ كُنْتَ أَحَقَّ أَنْ يَهَبْنَ‏.‏ ثُمَّ قَالَ أَىْ عَدُوَّاتِ أَنْفُسِهِنَّ، أَتَهَبْنَنِي وَلاَ تَهَبْنَ رَسُولَ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم قُلْنَ نَعَمْ، أَنْتَ أَفَظُّ وَأَغْلَظُ مِنْ رَسُولِ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم‏.‏ قَالَ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم ‏"‏ وَالَّذِي نَفْسِي بِيَدِهِ مَا لَقِيَكَ الشَّيْطَانُ قَطُّ سَالِكًا فَجًّا إِلاَّ سَلَكَ فَجًّا غَيْرَ فَجِّكَ ‏"‏‏.‏

reference*:*Sahih al-Bukhari 3294
In-book reference*:*Book 59, Hadith 103
USC-MSA web (English) reference*: Vol. 4, Book 54, Hadith 515**(deprecated numbering scheme)

Taking the above into account along with the fact that the face veil is not applicable turing tawaf of Ka'bah during pilgrimage, it is possible say that the head covering and body shape obscuring is an absolute essential for the noble female who has reached or is reaching age, but that the face covering can be relaxed in places and circumstances where it is safe to do so - i.e where there is no fear of moving the hearts of males and especially those in whose hearts is a disease - and fear of being unrecognized by the mahram or children in busy places where it is easy to lose each other, and Allah knows best.

noraina
08-12-2016, 12:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Steven Caro
Forgive me for deviating sightly but does it even say you have to wear it in the Quran? This is from the surah referring to this...'And tell the believing women to reduce [some] of their vision and guard their private parts and not expose their adornment except that which [necessarily] appears thereof and to wrap [a portion of] their headcovers over their chests and not expose their adornment...'

Now I understand why a Middle Eastern woman would wear a head scarf in desert countries. Sand has a habit of getting everywhere. But All the verse says is to cover your chests etc. It doesn't say that you must wear a headscarf foremost. It just takes for granted that's what a woman would be wearing in 7th century Arabia. Why wear a headscarf in countries where sand isn't a problem? You can still be modest and cover your chest and legs surely whilst not using a headscarf. There seems to be no indication that it is necessary to cover your head to please God. Merely, be modest and don't flaunt it because some men can be bad. Most western men are quiet capable of controlling themselves around uncovered women as are most Arab men I would hope. I understand you might feel better wearing it for some reason or other and that's your choice of course. Reducing vision surely means to not stare. The whole hijab thing has been subtly worked into the Islamic ideology by men who ultimately misunderstand and in some cases fear female sexuality and strength.
This is just one ayat of the Qur'an, there are many ayat and hadiths which make reference to the full hijab and its conditions. For example look at this:

https://islamqa.info/en/13998

Also, remember that english translations are more like 'interpretations of the meanings' Arabic, especially the Arabic of the Qur'an, is so vastly complex and deep that no translations in any other language could never capture the true meanings. When describing veiling, the Qur'an uses the word 'khimar' rather than hijab, which is technically more correct as Khimar means an actual headcovering. So the Qur'an tells women toget get their khimar and draw it over their necks and chest.

Here's a really detailed explanation from tafsir ibn kathir:

1. The hijab command is Quranic first and foremost. The term used in the Quran is "khimar" - which is a more accurate term describing a headscarf compared to the term hijab. Remember also, that the shias also regard the hijab as obligatory even though they have other hadiths than the sunnis. This clearly illustrates that the obligation is primarily based on the Quran. Ustadha Zaynab Ansari writes on Sunnipath.com:

"The actions of the Sahaba, may Allah be pleased with them all, did not indicate that hijab was optional. I find it interesting that hijab was not legislated in stages, as opposed to the ban on intoxicants. When the verses in Surat al-Nur were revealed, the female Sahaba immediately covered themselves. Would that we had a fraction of their iman!"

and

"The verse reads:

وَقُل لِّلْمُؤْمِنَاتِ يَغْضُضْنَ مِنْ أَبْصَارِهِنَّ

وَيَحْفَظْنَ فُرُوجَهُنَّ

وَلاَ يُبْدِينَ زِينَتَهُنَّ إِلاَّ مَا ظَهَرَ مِنْهَا

وَلْيَضْرِبْنَ بِخُمُرِهِنَّ عَلَى جُيُوبِهِنَّ

The translation:

"And say to the believing women that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty; that they should not display their beauty and ornaments except what (must ordinarily) appear thereof; that they should draw their veils over their bosoms..." [Abdullah Yusuf Ali]

The style of the language employed in the verse is very important. Allah Most High begins with the imperative form of the verb "qalla," which means to say or tell. Thus, Allah Most High is commanding the Prophet, peace be upon him, to tell the believing women to take a series of steps:

1. To guard their gaze, which is an important factor in modest interaction;

2. To guard their chastity or sexuality;

3. To conceal their adornment and natural beauty, which scholars have interpreted to mean the whole body except for the face, hands, and (for Hanafis) the feet.

4. And, finally, to emphasize the above point, Allah Ta'ala uses the phrase, "wa-lyadhribna bikhumurihinna ala juyubihinna." The verb "yadhribna" which means "to draw or pull over" appears as a feminine plural, thus going back to the original subject of the verse, the believing women. Most importantly, it starts off with the letter "lam," which is called "lam al-amr." Lam al-amr, when prefixed to a present tense verb, such as "yadhribna," makes the verb an imperative, that is, a command. It is not understood as a recommendation, but a specific command directly from Allah Most High to His slaves among the believing women.

Lam al-amr is used in other imperative contexts in the Qur'an. For example, Allah Ta'ala says, "Let the man of means spend according to his means: and the man whose resources are restricted, let him spend according to what God has given him..." [Al-Talaq, 65:7]

The Arabic reads:

لِيُنفِقْ ذُو سَعَةٍ مِّن سَعَتِهِ

وَمَن قُدِرَ عَلَيْهِ رِزْقُهُ فَلْيُنفِقْ مِمَّآ ءَاتَاهُ اللَّهُ لاَ يُكَلِّفُ اللَّهُ نَفْساً إِلاَّ مَآ ءَاتَاهَا

Here, Allah Most High is commanding men to spend according to their means in the context of child support for divorced wives.

This is understood to be a command, not a recommendation, since men are required to support their children. The lam of command, or lam al-amr, once again appears prefixed to the present verb, "yunfiq," meaning "to spend." [Qatr al-Nada, Dar al-Asmaa, 96]

To return to the verse in question, the phrase "wa-lyadhribna bikhumurihinna ala juyubihinna," is a command for women to draw their veils over their bosoms. Allah Most High did not say, "And tell the believing women to put on their veils," because implicit in the verse is the understanding that women were already expected to veil. However, unlike the practice at the time of leaving the scarf hanging down the back with the neck and cleavage exposed, Muslim women were to take it one step further and draw the "khimar" or veil over the neck and cleavage area. Those who argue that the Qur'an says nothing about veiling are completely misreading this verse. Not only does the Qur'anic text make it clear that women are expected to veil, it also dictates the extent of the veiling, i.e., covering the neck and cleavage.

This point is elucidated by reports from Aisha, may Allah be pleased with her, and other women of the Sahaba, who immediately implemented this verse by tearing up pieces of cloth and covering their hair and bodies. Al-Bukhari recorded that Aisha, may Allah be pleased with her, said: "May Allah have mercy on the women of the early emigrants. When Allah revealed the verse:[وَلْيَضْرِبْنَ بِخُمُرِهِنَّ عَلَى جُيُوبِهِنَّ]

(and to draw their veils over their bosoms), they tore their aprons and veiled themselves [made khimars] with them.
    '' [Tafsir Ibn Kathir]"

Allah swt knows best

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.