/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Muslim-women in western society - what is the solution?

new2010
08-12-2016, 06:05 PM
Assalamualaikum,

what might be the solution for women who live in the west, to spend time and protect themselves from the evil of this world but still be productive? Productiveness is very important otherwise you get sick. However, what can we suggest sisters who wants to practice religion but for some a reason shaytan stops them to do so. What first comes to mind is, to suggest learning the deen. But what is simple for us, logical and the only solution to fulfil the desire of knowledge is for the one who didn't understand the concept of Islam, very difficult. Even in a young age. So I think, keeping women in the house to protect them is not the best solution long term, you will stop them to develop. However, it's dangerous outside and genders are mixed everywhere and men do not respect the religious border in fact it's the rule to do the opposite.

Realistically speaking, I think it's a fantasy to dream of a men who is responsible of the wife and gives her rights, supports and provides her. Don't get me wrong I am not saying there are no men who are righteous but you will have a high chance to get someone who is corrupt or didn't follow Quran and Sunnah accordingly, of course nobody is perfect, so I thought about this and came to the conclusion that it might be better for women to do an apprenticeship or study. The big dilemma here is, she needs to mix with the other gender. Now I am thinking: is there a compromise? Do our sisters have an opportunity to educate themselves to not be depended on the husband in a case he fails. See that from the perspective what will happen to your daughter or birth sister. When she gets a wrong husband and nobody is there to support her; she should be able to do it on her own to not depend on foreigners.

Although I've been a supporter of the idea women should stay home, I think they need nevertheless the opportunity to develop. For myself, I don't need to go somewhere to learn, I can do at my own. But some people are different, I am looking for a compromise that is in accordance with our religion.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
islamirama
08-13-2016, 04:38 AM
Wa'alaikum as'salaam,

I'm of the opinion that the sisters need two things in order to live in the west. First, they need to self-defense. With so many islamophobic attacks (most often directed at the weaker sex), it's incumbent for them to learn how to fight. The second is to get education. The education comes two parts.

First, they should learn their religion from a young age so they are not swayed by Muslim and non-Muslim boys. I've seen teenage hijabis who are friends with their high school guys and are head over heals over that one "friend". Tell the girls put on a hijab now that she's a teen and starting to show physical signs of womanhood is a little too late. Even then many just tell them to put it on or they girls put it on without having the knowledge behind it to fully understand the how and why and the responsibilities that come with it. So she should be taught her religion from a young age so she can protect herself both spiritually and physically from sin. If islamic school is too expensive, then try sunday schools.

Second, is that she should get a degree or certification of some sort. Those who are not career minded but want to have that backup in case she needs to get work should consider female dominated fields, such as teaching. Get a degree and teach for a 2 years, till your married or till you have kids. Now she has a degree/skill and work experience should she ever need it. A good option is to learn front end programming (making websites). This is something that can be done from your home and a great to keep the mind sharp.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.