/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Chicago Police Tackle, Strip Search Fasting Muslim Woman

islamirama
08-14-2016, 11:15 PM
Chicago Police Tackle, Strip Search Fasting Muslim Woman

CHICAGO— A Muslim woman was running to catch a train in Chicago when five police officers tackled her, ripped off her hijab and strip searched her.

Itemad “Angel” Almatar said she faced humiliation at the hands of police before being arrested for no reason. She was carrying a backpack with food in it to break fast.

Surveillance camera video showed her overtaken by five Chicago police officers as she climbed the stairs of the State/Lake station in the Loop.

“They threw me to the stairs, and grabbed my bags. They kicked me, hit me, took off my hijab,” she said.

They also had an issue with her putting food inside her bag.

“They asked me why I put my food inside my bag, why I’m Muslim, why I’m fasting, why I’m wearing these clothes, why I cover my body,” she said.

Almatar said she was terrified.

She thought the people who grabbed her might be thieves, until they arrested her.

“She was strip searched, videographed, and at the same time men were allowed to see her naked. This is the ultimate horror you can do to a Muslim woman,” said Imam Malick Mujahid, a Muslim community leader in Chicago.

Almatar was charged with reckless conduct and resisting arrest, but on Wednesday a Cook County judge found her not guilty. Her attorneys said the police officers are guilty of profiling and violating her rights, perhaps in the name of vigilance.

“We know a couple things. There’s a Constitution, and the Constitution says you can’t just grab people for no reason whatsoever,” said Aaron Goldstein, a supervising attorney with the Cook County Public Defender’s office

In court, prosecutors said police officers first yelled ‘Stop!’ but the video of the incident shows no one turning around in response, even though several other commuters were walking up the stairs with Almatar.

A spokesperson for the Chicago Police Department said he would look into the incident and what, if any, action was taken internally.

Almatar said she plans to file a federal civil rights lawsuit soon.

http://www.arabamericannews.com/news...lim-woman.html

comments:

This is the condition of the Muslims in the west where the dignity of the Muslimat is not even safe by the so called protectors of the law. During the Khilafah a Muslim woman was just taunted in Rome and the Khalifah sent an army to protect her honor and conquered Rome. This is why the Kuffar abolished the Khilafah and are against it.

Strip search has no other reason but to humiliate a person and for the perverted authorities to practice their perversion.

"They had nothing against them, except that they believed in Allah, the All-Mighty, Worthy of all Praise! " (Quran 85:8)

"They desire to harm you severely. Hatred has already appeared from their mouths, but what their breasts conceal is far worse." (Quran 3:118)

"...Indeed, the disbelievers are ever to you a clear enemy." (Quran 4:101)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
islamirama
08-14-2016, 11:57 PM
Chicago police sued for attacking Muslim woman, stripping her of headscarf

A Muslim woman is suing the city of Chicago and six Chicago police officers for tackling her on the stairs of a subway station, stripping her of her headscarf and violating her civil rights on the Fourth of July last year.

The Council on American-Islamic Relations, a Muslim advocacy group, on Thursday announced the federal civil rights lawsuit on behalf of Chicago resident Itemid Al Matar, a 32-year-old Saudi student.

Al Matar, who covers her full body, head and face in the conservative Saudi style of dress, was on her way home on July 4, 2015, and was running up the stairs to catch a train, when a group of police officers ran up behind her, “grabbed [her] and threw her down upon the stair landing,” according to the lawsuit.

“They ripped off the face covering and the head covering, as well as pulled up her shirt, exposing her midriff, and pulled down her pants,” said Ahmed Rehab, the executive director of CAIR’s Chicago office. “She made the choice to cover her body, and someone came along and exposed her in this violent manner. It was humiliating.”

Al Matar, who had come to the United States about a year prior to study English, was frightened and shocked, according to Rehab. “At first she thought they were robbers, and when she saw that they were in uniform, she couldn’t believe her eyes.”

The lawsuit alleges that the police acted with prejudice and “with malice.”

Al Matar was arrested and eventually charged with resisting arrest and reckless behavior — charges that she was cleared of in June, and which Rehab said amounted to a “an attempt at a cover up” by a police department that “knew they had done something that was unprovoked and unwarranted.”

The Justice Department is currently investigating the police department’s conduct in the incident, he said. A Justice Department spokesman did not respond to a request for comment.

As a direct result of the incident, the lawsuit says, Al Matar has “suffered violations of her constitutional rights, emotional anxiety, fear, humiliation, monetary loss, embarrassment, fear, pain and suffering and future pain and suffering.”

At the police station following her arrest, Al Matar was ordered by a female officer to strip naked in a room where the door was left open and Al Matar could see male police peering in and laughing, Rehab said.

The lawsuit charges that Al Matar was subject to the use of excessive force, false arrest, unlawful search, a violation of the freedom of religious expression as defined by the First and Fourth constitutional amendments, and malicious prosecution.

The police incident report filed at the time that Al Matar was tackled says that the officers in question “were on high alert for terrorist activity” when they saw Al Matar “exiting the station with her entire face concealed by a scarf, hat and sunglasses.” She was “clutching a backpack with her right arm to her chest and walking at a brisk pace in a determined manner,” the incident report continues. Police pursued her because of this “suspicious behavior,” the report said.

According to police, Al Matar was ordered to stop, and did not — causing the police to believe that she “might be a lone wolf suicide bomber.” The report says that Al Matar “pulled away” and ignored verbal instruction before they tackled her.

A partial video of the incident shows Al Matar walking up the stairs with four officers coming up behind her. She does not turn around, nor does anyone else on the stairs — something that Rehab said shows that the police made no verbal attempt to stop her.

Once on the ground, the police incident report describes Al Matar as “furiously clutching her backpack and appeared to be trying to reach for something.” Al Matar appeared to have “possible incindiary devices strapped around her ankles.”

As police searched her, Al Matar was screaming and crying, the report said — something that caused “considerable alarm to CTA patrons.”
Her backpack turned out to contain food to break her Ramadan fast. She was walking with ankle weights.

“They ask me why I put my food inside bag, why I’m Muslim, why I’m fasting, why I wear this clothes, why I cover my body,” Al Matar told CBS Chicago.

On June 30, a Chicago judge dismissed one charge and found her not guilty of all charges.

“As far as we’re concerned, policing ought to be concerned with criminal behavior and violations of the law, not with the way people dress or the color of their skin,” said Rehab.

Al Matar has asked that the case be tried before a jury.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ffcd2#comments

reader comments:

Roblimo: If police strip-search one of my female relatives while men are watching and leering, those police will answer to me. I am not a Muslim. I am an American husband, father and grandfather. Same goes for non-police, BTW. I don't like having my family members assaulted, period.

jabeady
08-15-2016, 12:51 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by islamirama
The Justice Department is currently investigating the police department’s conduct in the incident, he said. A Justice Department spokesman did not respond to a request for comment...

The lawsuit charges that Al Matar was subject to the use of excessive force, false arrest, unlawful search, a violation of the freedom of religious expression as defined by the First and Fourth constitutional amendments, and malicious prosecution.
If you're trying to show how Muslims are persecuted in the US, shouldn't you have left these parts out? It doesn't sound like krystalnacht if the victims have legal recourse.

Just a suggestion, for next time.

islamirama
08-15-2016, 01:25 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by jabeady
If you're trying to show how Muslims are persecuted in the US, shouldn't you have left these parts out? It doesn't sound like krystalnacht if the victims have legal recourse.

Just a suggestion, for next time.

Just because there is a law that you can use to get SOME justice as an American Muslim doesn't mean it stops them from showing their true colors.

Muslims are persecuted in the US and the west. There is anti-islam hysteria and islamophobia all time high. You have dimwit citizens attacking Muslims, cops jumping muslims, mayors denying the right build mosques, politicians and media jumping on hate wagon to score some points and presidential candidates talking of mass genocide with pig's blood drenched bullets.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
jabeady
08-15-2016, 02:29 AM
And Muslims are breaking down the doors to get in.

talibilm
08-15-2016, 01:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by islamirama
Just because there is a law that you can use to get SOME justice as an American Muslim doesn't mean it stops them from showing their true colors.

Muslims are persecuted in the US and the west. There is anti-islam hysteria and islamophobia all time high. You have dimwit citizens attacking Muslims, cops jumping muslims, mayors denying the right build mosques, politicians and media jumping on hate wagon to score some points and presidential candidates talking of mass genocide with pig's blood drenched bullets.
:sl:

How ever biased are they BUT Muslims MUST UNITE in a peaceful manner and take actions ABIDING THE LAW of the Land and show our Opposition to such harassments or else expect it to go worst .

aaj
08-15-2016, 02:34 PM
Muslims actually want to live peacefully in their own lands. There is no place like home. But due to imperialism and continued meddling of the west in the Muslim lands, they are compelled to go where they would be better able to support their families. As dire the situation is with the Syrian refugees, even they are saying I would love to go back home and build it, only if the west stops bombing it and supporting those destroying it.

America likes to export its culture and values through varies means to rest of the world and to advertise itself as a land of opportunity for all. So naturally many want to come here and be part of what they have been exposed to, but that doesn't mean everybody wants to come here nor does it mean it's only the Muslims who are trying to immigrate here. Nor does it justify the power abuse and violation of civil rights based on bias prejudice and personal hatred.

talibilm
08-15-2016, 02:48 PM
Steps must be taken PROMPTLY & LEGALLY & STRINGENTLY BY THE MUSLIM COMMUNITY THERE IN USA . NEVER LET IT GO WHEN THE MISTAKE IS CLEARLY ON THEIR SIDE & CLAIM HEFTY DEFAMATION CHARGES to avoid repetition of such incidents

Snel
08-15-2016, 03:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by talibilm
:sl:

How ever biased are they BUT Muslims MUST UNITE in a peaceful manner and take actions ABIDING THE LAW of the Land and show our Opposition to such harassments or else expect it to go worst .
It's funny how you found this to be a good opportunity to tell muslims to "be peaceful" and to "abide by the law", as if you're trying to be provocative. Nevertheless, these disbelievers were neither peaceful nor did they "abide by the law". But this muslim woman, that had her honour violated publicly did, and how did that end up? So I suggest we have some appreciation of the seriousness of the situation that we are in. Let me remind you also that this is far from an isolated incident.

Serinity
08-15-2016, 04:16 PM
:salam:

Once cops become criminals, the country/state is screwed. Once the president becomes a stupid one, the whole state becomes.

Those police needs to be jailed for violating a Muslim Woman's honour, and serve Jail time for how many years is justified.

The Police have NO excuse for what they did, they, if they REALLY wanted to check, could send a female cop, search the baggage, or even go in a private room where the female could check.

But this is just baseless suspicion based on prejudice. Instead of reacting with violence, as that doesn't solve anything, we should resort to fining, and suing them in court, etc.

They need to be lashed, tbh. Whatever Shariah Law prescribes, but in this case all we can do is sue them, raise awareness, etc.

talibilm
08-15-2016, 04:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Snel
It's funny how you found this to be a good opportunity to tell muslims to "be peaceful" and to "abide by the law", as if you're trying to be provocative. Nevertheless, these disbelievers were neither peaceful nor did they "abide by the law". But this muslim woman, that had her honour violated publicly did, and how did that end up? So I suggest you have some respect and appreciation of the seriousness of the situation we are in. Let me remind you also that this is far from an isolated incident.
Yes that's easy to say but difficult to Implement , But still we have to swallow our anger for the welfare of our OTHER brethren living there and avoid going on rampage or so since Hikmah in such situations in neccessary to keep the situations in control. DELIBERATION (urdu- Hosh) IS BETTER THAN OVER ENTHUSIASM (Urdu - Josh) is seen from hadiths. we are living in such a situation with hypocrites living amongst us and my another post # 51 of today should give you more info on this here

http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthrea...5-say-So/page2

Serinity
08-15-2016, 04:45 PM
It is not wise to act violently at all, best to to just speak at the court.

And Allah :swt: knows best.

Scimitar
08-15-2016, 04:47 PM
Do mention this is sarcasm in future :D

Scimi

Snel
08-15-2016, 04:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by talibilm
Yes that's easy to say but difficult to Implement , But still we have to swallow our anger for the welfare of our OTHER brethren living there and avoid going on rampage or so since Hikmah in such situations in neccessary to keep the situations in control. DELIBERATION (urdu- Hosh) IS BETTER THAN OVER ENTHUSIASM (Urdu - Josh) is seen from hadiths. we are living in such a situation with hypocrites living amongst us and my another post # 51 of today should give you more info on this here

http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthrea...5-say-So/page2

Well, going on a rampage is your addition. I wasn't telling anybody what to do. I just said: appreciate the seriousness of situation that we are in, it's worse than you think.

Abz2000
08-15-2016, 06:36 PM
May Allah send calamity upon calamity on the unjust who reject the truth after it is made clear to them and then go further and humiliate and harass those who accept the truth and follow it.
It is better that the courts have the people who stripped this woman naked and abused her with no just cause or valid excuse are sentenced to lashing by the victim's male family members of her choosing and then put in prison for at least a year each, and that the governmemt apologises publicly and pays her a reasonable sum for not being able to protect her dignity despite limiting her ability to defend herself.

Before people start excercising their God given right to defend themselves.....

jabeady
08-15-2016, 07:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Scimitar
Do mention this is sarcasm in future :D

Scimi
"Just over half of the projected growth of the American Muslim population from 2010 to 2015 is due to immigration. Over the last 20 years, there has been an increase in the number of Muslim immigrants coming to the U.S. The number of Muslim immigrants currently represents about 10% of all legal immigrants arriving in the U.S., and a significantly smaller percentage of unauthorized immigrants."

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank...im-population/

On another note, you would be better served to not cite either Chicago or Chicago's police as typical of America. Generally, Chicago's gang violence bears a strong resemblence to Daesh's attacks in Baghdad; last year, almost twice as many violent deaths occurred in Chicago as American military deaths in Afghanistan. For a popular-culture depiction, Google the movie, "Chi-raq" (Chicago and Iraq). Independent of that, Chicago's police force has always been known for corruption and lack of restraint (among other things, look up the police riot at the 1968 Democratic convention).

It seems odd to cite Chicago's less-than-palatable reputation as a refutation of your argument. However, that I am able to do so is a reflection of your lack of research, and your lack of research appears to be a reflection of your personal bias.

Scimitar
08-15-2016, 11:18 PM
I agree - but you are unable to see what this actually means.

let me me explain.

You wrote

"Just over half of the projected growth of the American Muslim population from 2010 to 2015 is due to immigration. Over the last 20 years, there has been an increase in the number of Muslim immigrants coming to the U.S. The number of Muslim immigrants currently represents about 10% of all legal immigrants arriving in the U.S., and a significantly smaller percentage of unauthorized immigrants."

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank...im-population/
Mind telling me what percentage of the world is Muslim? Muslims account for 1/5 people across the planet... if the immigration stats of the USA were to reflect this without bias - they would have to allow Muslims to make up 20% of all immigrants into the USA.

On this point alone - the facts you cite, support me and expose the xenophobic immigration selection process of the USA.

See bro, facts - are only facts... you have to know how to understand them to know what they actually mean.

Scimi

jabeady
08-16-2016, 12:00 AM
I agree - but you are unable to see what this actually means.

let me me explain.

You wrote

Mind telling me what percentage of the world is Muslim? Muslims account for 1/5 people across the planet... if the immigration stats of the USA were to reflect this without bias - they would have to allow Muslims to make up 20% of all immigrants into the USA.

On this point alone - the facts you cite, support me and expose the xenophobic immigration selection process of the USA.
You're wrong. I am a retired immigration officer, and every qualified visa applicant, immigrant and nonimmigrant, is approved. The qualifications are according to written law and do not depend on the examining officer's whim. Every visa or entry denial must be justified according to the law, is reviewed by superiors before finalization and is appealable in federal court. As a matter of record, about half of immigrant petitions are made by corporations, both American and foreign.

BTW, visa denials average approximately 10% on the whole. If you're going to claim the process is "xenophobic" in respect to Muslims, you're going to have to come up with evidence that the denial rate for Muslims is substantially higher than 10%. Complicating your task is the fact that the denial rates are an average of the whole; there is no provision on any form for entering anyone's religion. It is therefore impossible to deny, say, a Sudanese Muslim on the basis of religion.

Now, are you going to call me a liar?

See bro, facts - are only facts... you have to know how to understand them to know what they actually mean.
Your condescension and interpretation would bear more weight if you hadn't just inherently claimed that a 200% increase in population is negligible.

It would also help your case to learn what the facts are before attempting to lecture others on what they mean.

Scimitar
08-16-2016, 12:10 AM

Now, are you going to call me a liar?
Have I ever?

I'm asking you to consider that the USA only allows 10% of all immigrants into the USA to be from the 'Muslim' category - when the reality is that Muslims account for 20% of all humans on this planet - this according to your source.

Scimi

jabeady
08-16-2016, 12:18 AM
Have I ever?

I'm asking you to consider that the USA only allows 10% of all immigrants into the USA to be from the 'Muslim' category - when the reality is that Muslims account for 20% of all humans on this planet - this according to your source.

Scimi
There is NO "Muslim category." To repeat:

BTW, visa denials average approximately 10% on the whole. If you're going to claim the process is "xenophobic" in respect to Muslims, you're going to have to come up with evidence that the denial rate for Muslims is substantially higher than 10%. Complicating your task is the fact that the denial rates are an average of the whole; there is no provision on any form for entering anyone's religion. It is therefore impossible to deny, say, a Sudanese Muslim on the basis of religion.

Edit: From the above-mentioned Pew research -

"In the United States, Christians will decline from more than three-quarters of the population in 2010 to two-thirds in 2050, and Judaism will no longer be the largest non-Christian religion. Muslims will be more numerous in the U.S. than people who identify as Jewish on the basis of religion."

Xenophobic immigration policy. Yeah, right.

Scimitar
08-16-2016, 03:07 PM
Maybe those who identify as Christian should marry more then? And have loads of babies 0 like the Muslims do in the USA "according to PEW"

As for your earlier question asking me to provide evidence:

III. Protecting the National Security of the United States

By now it should be clear that because the United States cannot constitutionally favor one religion over another and because its international obligations and domestic policy require it to provide refuge for those fleeing political persecution, a general ban against Muslim emigrants fleeing persecution is not legally tenable. This does not, however, mean that appropriate procedures cannot be put in place to ensure the security and safety of those living in the United States. The problem that arises here, as with most areas where different legal (including, in this case, constitutional) obligations intersect, is knowing exactly where to draw this line.

As a general constitutional matter, the state cannot establish religion. But what if religion is itself an indicator of a potential threat to the homeland? Can the federal government then potentially refuse to grant refugee status to Muslims outside the United States fleeing persecution in order to safeguard the homeland? In other words, even though most Muslims are not terrorists, can refugee status be refused to all Muslims if a significant number of terrorists are Muslim? On the one hand, the First Amendment does not permit states to favor one religion over another, and refusing entry to Muslims would in fact be favoring non-Muslim refugees over Muslim refugees. Of course, the alleged reason for the United States restricting entry for Muslim refugees would not be because they are Muslim per se, but because the government views being Muslim as an indicator that the refugee is a terrorist. The problem is not avoided by claiming that non-nationals do not have a constitutional right to emigrate; the issue here is a structural limitation on the power of the U.S. government to establish religion—not to whom the right is being denied. While non-national refugees of any faith have a right to the possibility of asylum under the UDHR, their claim must be juxtaposed with the U.S. government’s constitutional obligation and sovereign authority to protect its own national security interests. I would present this latter obligation as the focus when deciding whether any group can be excluded from entry into the United States based on the compelling interests of national security and protection that every government shares and has a right to pursue.

The Constitution acknowledges this compelling interest when it states: “We the People of the United States . . . [are empowered to] provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Prosperity . . . .” 35 In so doing, it affords to Congress the specific power to raise an army and a navy, 36 and says that “[t]he President shall be Commander in Chief of the Army and Navy of the United States, and of the Militia of the several States, when called into actual service of the United States . . . .” 37But does the Constitution’s acknowledgement of these specific security interests automatically legitimize excluding any Muslim non-nationals from emigrating into the country, even if statistical support suggests that the exclusion of Muslims is likely to advance security? If it does, then this would seem to be a far greater extension of the federal government’s reach of power than the framers of the Bill of Rights intended when they adopted the Establishment Clause as a structural limitation on the scope of government power.

IV. Evaluating Muslim Refugees Entering the United States

It has been suggested that the Muslim refugee issue might bring about a rerun of the situation in Korematsu v. United States, 38 only now applied to Muslim non-nationals rather than Japanese-American citizens. In Korematsu, President Franklin Roosevelt issued an Executive Order after the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor
designed to safeguard “against espionage [and] against sabotage,” and providing that certain military commanders might designate “military areas” in the United States “from which any and all persons may be excluded, and with which right of any person to enter, remain in, or leave shall be subject to whatever restrictions” the “Military Commander may impose in his discretion.” The West Coast program established for persons of Japanese ancestry included curfews, detention in relocation centers, and exclusion from the West Coast area. 39

In 1943, following a unanimous upholding of the curfew orders in Hirabayashi v. United States, the Court upheld the exclusion order by majority vote in Korematsu. 40 That decision has since been deeply regretted by subsequent members of the Supreme Court, most recently by Justice Stephen Breyer in his 2015 book, in which he points out that there was not a shred of evidence to support the government’s alleged need to exclude American citizens of Japanese ancestry from the West Coast and to intern them in detention camps. 41 The case was decided based on a perceived but unsubstantiated notion of military necessity. 42 It was a racial classification, but the Court was willing to accept the government’s interest as a sufficiently compelling justification, regardless of whether it applied strict scrutiny.

The present situation involving Muslim refugees does not exactly mirror Korematsu because the Muslims in question are not American citizens with the full range of constitutional rights that American citizens possess. However, once we move beyond this difference, the motivation for banning Muslim refugees from entering the United States parallels the motiviations inKorematsu: they are based on fear following armed attacks by a particular group. InKorematsu, the government reacted to the widespread fear in the aftermath of Pearl Harbor. Now, it wants to react to the widespread fear following the recent attacks in Paris and San Bernadino by radical Muslims.

The problem with fear is that it can lead to poor assessments of the real dangers Americans and the world face. Are not most of the refugees that a blanket ban on entry into the country would exclude themselves fleeing the same destabilized dangerous conditions that Americans are now so concerned about? Could not a terrorist just as easily enter the country posing as a non-Muslim European or even an American returning home to engage in a terrorist act? Indeed, while the husband in the San Bernardino attacks was a Muslim, he was also an American citizen, whom one would not normally exclude. 43 It would seem like the idea that religion should be the single factor deciding who enters and who is kept out of the United States would actually decrease the real level of security that the ban is supposed to create. Without denying that there is a real compelling interest for security and protection, all this goes to say that the measure being focused upon, namely being a member of the Islamic faith, is both over- and under-exclusive as a matter of law. It is over-exclusive in that it keeps out potentially thousands of non-terrorists fleeing persecution, and in that sense puts the country in the position of not living up to its own values and international legal commitments. At the same time, it is also under-inclusive in allowing those who too easily present themselves as non-Muslims or with some other seemingly legitimate connection to potentially slide under the vetting radar. A far better alternative would be to reform the measure by basing the determination on how likely the person is to actually present a threat to national security.

Such an alternative would not merely focus on any single measure, especially one as elusive as religion, but would consider a spectrum of activities and behaviors, such as past and present associations, as well as serious psychological assessments, 44 including the person’s commitment to finding a job and making a life for themselves and their family and living in a diverse community. It would also look at present behavior and ask immigrants to report what could be considered suspicious or potentially harmful criminal activity, regardless of where it occurs or by whom. Granted, this is not a full-proof way to ensure safety and security. There is no such thing as a full-proof guarantee of safety and security any more than employees going to work or teachers going to school can be absolutely certain that a threat will not make its way into their lives. But this is certainly a far more effective way of ensuring security than bringing into what is already a dangerous situation widespread fear, which would not only put the United States in the untenable position of violating its own values and legal commitments but encourage a general distrust of Muslims. Such a distrust would only serve to engender reciprocal fear and distrust from Muslim immigrants. At a time when the United States and its allies need to work together with both Muslims living in the U.S., as well as the nations of the Middle East, especially the Muslim nations, the focus must be to bring people together under the values and ideals established by our constitutional order and international commitments. We must not squander these opportunities by giving into irrational fears that will not provide us real security and, in the long run, will probably do more harm than good by making us complacent in the belief we have solved the security problem.

Conclusion

In this short Essay, I have tried to show—by pointing out how one misguided suggestion that would ban a whole group of people from entering the country based on their religious belief—that the challenges posed by global terrorism will not be resolved by breaking faith with those constitutional principles and international human rights values that have allowed us to develop as a nation and to protect the human dignity and freedom that we have all come to cherish. I have further tried to demonstrate that only by continuing on this path of developing those principles and values along with the institutions that can sustain them will we be able to ensure the future and avoid the darkness of fear that might otherwise inhibit our development as a free people. We stand at an epic crossroads with the other nations of the world over what kind of future we shall impart to the next generation. Hopefully, it will be one where the dignity of the individual matters constitutionally across the globe, so that people are judged by how they act, and not by what they believe.

Source: http://law.emory.edu/eilr/recent-dev...ed-states.html

It seems that this is a hot topic in the USA at the moment... what's your angle? You claim that the Muslim category doesn't exist. I ask you is this how ignorant your border control is?

The Immigration and Nationality Act that passed June 27, 1952 revised the laws relating to immigration, naturalization, and nationality for the United States. That act, which became Public Law 414, established both the law and the intent of Congress regarding the immigration of Aliens to the US and remains in effect today.Among the many issues it covers, one in particular, found in Chapter 2 Section 212, is the prohibition of entry to the US if the Alien belongs to an organization seeking to overthrow the government of the United States by "force, violence, or other unconstitutional means." This, by its very definition, rules out Islamic immigration to the United States.

I ask, does this "alien group which belongs to an org seeking to over throw the USA" include anyone who is Muslim despite the fact that the terrorists only make up a very tiny fraction of all Muslims on the planet?

Scimi

Abz2000
08-16-2016, 03:25 PM
Claiming that the state cannot institute, prefer or object to a way of life is the same as saying that the state cannot institute atheism on people. It's always been a void left for those who usurp power to fill.
just as we see atheists and race/border based nationalists going around in circles to explain themselves with no founding upon anything, yet attempting to pretend they are protecting a non-sacred system whilst claiming it's sacred.
the land of opportunity for anyone who controls the financial institutions and by extension, the media and then making policies for which God has sent down no authority.
In contrast, Islam can be explained clearly and implemented widely without all the confusion and injustice.
and our soldiers work to uphold the word of God, and not the word of satan.

Muezzin
08-16-2016, 05:23 PM
Is this what certain American police officers do when they're not killing black people?

Note: Sarcasm.

On a serious note - this is clear victimisation on the basis of religion, dress and/or ethnicity. Which is a deeply worrying trait for law enforcement to display, legal recourse for victims or not.

Those responsible need to be be punished and retrained in order to prevent this happening in future.

jabeady
08-16-2016, 05:57 PM
Among the many issues it covers, one in particular, found in Chapter 2 Section 212, is the prohibition of entry to the US if the Alien belongs to an organization seeking to overthrow the government of the United States by "force, violence, or other unconstitutional means." This, by its very definition, rules out Islamic immigration to the United States.
Only if you're claiming there is no Muslim immigration to the United States, whatsoever. This is demonstrably false.

I ask, does this "alien group which belongs to an org seeking to over throw the USA" include anyone who is Muslim despite the fact that the terrorists only make up a very tiny fraction of all Muslims on the planet?
No. For the THIRD time, there is no religious test for entering the US. I denied several visa applications because of terrorist or criminal activity, not one of those denials involved any mention of religious association.

Incidentally, that paper, which you only partially quoted and possibly didn't read, was merely a discussion of the issue. It did, however, make a point of describing how the WW2 Japanese exclusion was a great mistake and shame that the American legal system is determined not to repeat. In short, by citing this article you have undermined your own argument. In a court of law, this would be enough for the judge to throw your case out of court.

The reason I suspect you never read the paper you quoted is that you appear to have missed this part:

"...the challenges posed by global terrorism will not be resolved by breaking faith with those constitutional principles and international human rights values that have allowed us to develop as a nation and to protect the human dignity and freedom that we have all come to cherish."

You're not doing a very good job of establishing your right to lecture a US immigration officer about US immigration law. Perhaps your vaunted understanding of the subject is somewhat lacking? Just a thought.

Abz2000
08-16-2016, 06:53 PM
Lol, back to "they're immigrants" again

Scimitar
08-16-2016, 08:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abz2000
Lol, back to "their immigrants" again
I hear echoes too... thought I was going crazy, but nah - it's the other guy :D

Scimi

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.