/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Is watching shows about magic haram?

mezzi_sohal
08-15-2016, 11:01 PM
I am aware that practicing and believing in magic is haram, but what about watching a fictional TV show (like the BBC's Merlin, for example)?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Afif Rusli
08-15-2016, 11:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by mezzi_sohal
I am aware that practicing and believing in magic is haram, but what about watching a fictional TV show (like the BBC's Merlin, for example)?
TV in general is quite a time waster, and content nowadays are haram and disliked, shows and movies that glorifying magicians, vulgar, sexual, unrealistic etc and is quite contridicting to islam.

Scimitar
08-15-2016, 11:45 PM
As the brother above me said, waste of time which can be used in better ways. But we all need a little break here and then, I would recommend watching documentaries on subjects/hobbies you find interesting. It's much more fruitful, and enjoyable in a very different way - just make sure your hobbies/subjects are halal.

As for BBC's Merlin, it always made me grin how Merlin bares a remarkable similarity to that dynamo dude - and in all honesty, I can't take either seriously without giggling.

Scimi

Afif Rusli
08-16-2016, 12:01 AM
I too seek for some entertainment once in awhile , i think youtube is like the closest and best place to find halal entertainment. Many varieties. You have people doing vlogs, travel, talks , discussion , documentary on wars , animals , space , all the creation of allah swt you can ponder about, science , etc.. I too last time , i watch all kinds of haram things,only to realise that i am contradicting my faith. Its hard to stop watching it. But slowly i change my style of entertainment, because the real entertainment is in jannah.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
jabeady
08-16-2016, 12:48 AM
Define "magic." As in miracles? Or as in stage magic (sleight of hand)? Of course, some people like to confuse the issue:

Little_Lion
08-16-2016, 12:50 AM
I think if it is taken in great moderation, and knowingly acknowledged that this is just entertainment and not a representation of anything that actually challenges the power of Allah, that there is little harm as long as your other spiritual needs are being met (don't skip the prayer to watch your shows, for an obvious example). I spend a lot of time, several hours a day on average, studying Islam and still decompress with My Little Pony and anime on occasion.

Ramadan is an exception, though. I do not partake in entertainment during Ramadan.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.