/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Can you eat food with silver forks/spoons?

Aaqib
08-15-2016, 11:57 PM
Need this to be answered.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ibn Yaqzan
08-16-2016, 01:06 AM
silver and gold are not allowed to use for eating

talibilm
08-16-2016, 02:48 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aaqib
Need this to be answered.
:sl:

AVOID EATING MEAT WITH KNIFE

Dawud :: Book 27 : Hadith 3769
Narrated Aisha, Ummul Mu'minin:The Apostle of Allah (peace_be_upon_him) said: Do not eat meat with a knife, for it is a foreign practice, but bite it, for it is more beneficial and wholesome.

Afif Rusli
08-16-2016, 03:24 AM
Narrated Hudhaifa:

The Prophet (ﷺ) said, "Do not drink in gold or silver utensils, and do not wear clothes of silk or Dibaj, for these things are for them (unbelievers) in this world and for you in the Hereafter."

Sahih Al Bukhari 5633

Narrated Um Salama:

(the wife of the Prophet) Allah's Messenger (ﷺ) said, "He who drinks in silver utensils is only filling his `Abdomen with Hell Fire."

Sahih Al-Bukhari 5634

Narrated `Abdullah bin Qais:

The Prophet (ﷺ) said, "(There will be) two Paradises of silver and all the utensils and whatever is therein (will be of silver); and two Paradises of gold, and its utensils and whatever therein (will be of gold), and there will be nothing to prevent the people from seeing their Lord except the Cover of Majesty over His Face in the Paradise of Eden (eternal bliss).

Sahih Al-Bukhari 7444

Narrated Ibn Abi Laila:

While Hudhaita was at Mada'in, he asked for water. The chief of the village brought him a silver vessel. Hudhaifa threw it away and said, "I have thrown it away because I told him not to use it, but he has not stopped using it. The Prophet (ﷺ) forbade us to wear clothes of silk or Dibaj, and to drink in gold or silver utensils, and said, 'These things are for them (unbelievers) in this world and for you (Muslims) in the Hereafter.'

Sahih Al-Bukhari 5632

We should obey prophet muhammad saw words, he is the messenger and the best of examples, Allah knows best.. Muhammad saw has said we are filling our bellies with FIRE using silver/gold utensils and it is for us for the hereafter, if you are talking about steel utensils which is not made of silver, i still will avoid it because its somewhat similar to silver, the disbelievers has love of this world, they loved shiny things.. diamond gold jewelry, same applies to the silver/gold utensils, although we muslim has the intention to use to eat, we should not imitate disbelievers, sometimes people cant tell the difference if its steel or silver.. We should eat and cook food using wood utensils or plastic.. or the sunnah way using our hands to eat. my home has steel utensils, but i used chopsticks or my hands, or a plastic utensils, or glass cups and plates to eat..i dare not try to transgress what the prophet forbade.. Allah SWT knows our fate, and i wouldn't want to have a belly of fire of the HELLFIRE, which is no ordinary fire, it would be so painful thinking about it.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Aaqib
09-05-2016, 05:34 PM
But that is drinking, can we eat like rice with a silver spoon?

sister herb
09-05-2016, 05:43 PM
http://www.islamicboard.com/discover...er#post2866285

Vessels of gold and silver are forbidden according to the texts of Islam and according to scholarly consensus. It was proven that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Do not drink from vessels of gold and silver; do not eat from plates of gold and silver, because they are for them in this world and for you in the Hereafter.” (Saheeh, agreed upon; from the hadeeth of Hudhayfah may Allaah be pleased with him). And it was proven that he (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever eats and drinks from vessels of gold and silver, is taking fire from Hell into his belly.” (Saheeh, agreed upon; from the hadeeth of Umm Salamah, may Allaah be pleased with him; this version was narrated by Muslim).

It is not permissible to use gold and silver as vessels, whether for eating or drinking. The same applies to things used for wudoo’ and ghusl. All of that is haraam according to the hadeeth of the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). These things should not be sold so that Muslims will not use them. Allaah has forbidden us to use them so they should not be used for drinking, eating or any other purpose. It is not permissible to use them in spoons, coffee cups or teacups; all of that is forbidden, because these are kinds of vessels.

So the Muslim should avoid that which Allaah has forbidden and keep away from extravagance and wasting wealth. If he has ample wealth then there are poor people to whom he can give charity; there are mujaahideen fighting for the sake of Allaah to whom he can donate. He should give in charity, not fool about with his wealth. There are those who need his wealth.

So the believer must dispose of his wealth in charitable ways, such as giving to the poor and needy, in building and maintaining mosques and schools, repairing roads and bridges, helping the mujaahideen and poor migrants, and other ways, such as paying off the debts of those who are in dire straits, and helping those who cannot afford to get married to do so. These are all good things on which we are encouraged to spend.

As for wasting wealth by buying vessels, spoons, cups or bathroom fixtures of gold and silver, and the like, all of that is reprehensible and we should avoid that and warn others against it. Whoever has any position of status in countries where such things are done, such as scholars and rulers, should denounce that and prevent the extravagant from indulging in such things. And Allaah is the One Whose help we seek.

Source: http://islamqa.info/en/13733

mission2succeed
09-05-2016, 05:52 PM
But that is drinking, can we eat like rice with a silver spoon?
Is it really necessary to use cutlery when eating as we are well aware the sunnah of our beloved prophet :saws: was to use his hands/fingers.

Aaqib
09-05-2016, 05:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by mission2succeed
Is it really necessary to use cutlery when eating as we are well aware the sunnah of our beloved prophet :saws: was to use his hands/fingers.
Not everyone is comfortable using their hands and fingers

mission2succeed
09-05-2016, 06:01 PM
Its a shame its a forgotten practice especially in the west and one which certainly needs to be revived ;)

Aaqib
09-05-2016, 06:02 PM
Its a shame its a forgotten practice especially in the west and one which certainly needs to be revived ;)
Definitely not forgotten, just some are uncomfortable...

Huzaifah ibn Adam
09-05-2016, 06:11 PM
They must become comfortable with it.

sister herb
09-05-2016, 06:12 PM
Note this:

http://www.islamicfoundation.ca/soci..._fork_or_spoon

Eating with a Knife, Fork or Spoon

Description

Answered by Shaykh Yusuf Badat

Question:

Is it okay to use a knife, fork or spoon when eating? Would it be sinful to eat with a spoon and fork? Some people look down upon me when I eat in this manner.

Answer:

بِسْمِ اللَّـهِ الرَّحْمَـٰنِ الرَّحِيمِ

There is no doubt that the general noble practice of the Prophet (pbuh) was to eat food with his hands. It is also reported that the Prophet (pbuh) would lick his fingers after eating, which denotes his eating food with his hands. Hence it would be considered ‘sunnah’ (prophetic practice) to eat with the hands. Following this practice will most certainly bring blessings and rewards.

As for eating with a knife, fork or spoon, it is mubaah (allowed) and will not make a person sinful. There are some reports indicating that the Prophet (pbuh) also used a knife when eating.

Ja'far ibn 'Amr bin Umaiya (r) states, my father said, "I saw Allah's Messenger taking a piece of (cooked) mutton from the shoulder region and then he was called for prayer. He put the piece of meat and the knife he was clutching with down, and prayed without repeating ablution." (Saheeh Bukhari, Saheeh Muslim)

Shaykh Mufti Khalid Saifullah Al Rahmani writes, “It is not appropriate for one to exaggerate, be vehement or harsh in this matter” (See Nawaazil Fiqhiyyah Muaasirah)

And Allah Knows Best

Aaqib
09-05-2016, 06:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Huzaifah ibn Adam
They must become comfortable with it.
True, but some people are comfortable to doing the opposites of others that are comfortable with the other option.... eh?

mission2succeed
09-05-2016, 06:24 PM
True, but some people are comfortable to doing the opposites of others that are comfortable with the other option.... eh?
True, but the sunnah is the best option and we should train ourselves to be comfortable in implementing it in our lives not the opposites as they lead you away from it not close to it.

Huzaifah ibn Adam
09-05-2016, 06:25 PM
`Abdullaah ibn `Ukaim narrates, "A man from Dihqaan in al-Madaa'in invited Huzaifah (ibn al-Yamaan) to have a drink (at his house). When he (Huzaifah) came, the host gave him a drink in a silver container, so Huzaifah threw it in his face.

We (the students) feared to speak to him (Huzaifah) until his anger had subsided. He said, "Excuse me for that. I've told him (in the past) not to bring me drinks in this (silverware)." Thereafter, he said: "Rasoolullaah صلى الله عليه وسلم stood up among us to give a Khutbah, and said, "Do not drink from vessels of silver and gold. Do not wear silken garments. It (these things) is for them (the Kuffaar) in this Dunyaa and for you (Muslims) in the Aakhirah." [Narrated in Saheeh Muslim.]

(I have the same kind of temperament as that, in real life. As they say, the name certainly has an effect on the individual.)

الحمد لله

Aaqib
09-05-2016, 06:27 PM
True, but the sunnah is the best option and we should train ourselves to be comfortable in implementing it in our lives not the opposites as they lead you away from it not close to it.
True, I should. Thanks sis for the concern.

Kiro
09-05-2016, 06:28 PM

Huzaifah ibn Adam
09-05-2016, 06:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Kiro
What's that you say?

Tell me.

mission2succeed
09-05-2016, 07:18 PM
True, I should. Thanks sis for the concern.
No problem brother insha'allah khair:statisfie

Kiro
09-05-2016, 07:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Huzaifah ibn Adam
What's that you say?

Tell me.
I said something like 'so we aren't allowed to use forks and stuff?'

Serinity
09-05-2016, 07:39 PM
:salam:

I drink with glass or plastic. I still eat chicken with my hands lol. some I don't......

Allahu alam.

Huzaifah ibn Adam
09-05-2016, 07:42 PM
You're allowed to use forks and stuff. But the best is to eat with your hands.

A person's fingers is the best fork of all.

You know, Mercedes Benz has a slogan: "The Best or Nothing."

Why do people want to settle for second-best when it comes to Deen? The best is to follow the Sunnah.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.