/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Self Defence in Islam?

new2010
08-19-2016, 09:25 PM
Assalamualaikum wa rahmetullahi wa barakatuhu,

the world is going crazy nowadays, the people are going crazy. We read and hear of people, Muslims as well as non-Muslims, get attacked without any rational reason, Allah knows best what is in the minds of the troublemakers. However, that did lead me to the question whether self defence is allowed in Islam or not. I did some research and came to the conclusion: it is permissible. Nevertheless, I came across the hadith in which RasulAllahi salallahu alaihi wa sallam said:
"When any one of you fights, let him avoid (striking) the face.” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari, al-Fath, 5/215).

How is self defence possible without striking in the attackers face? What if he hits you in your face? I know, best self defence is prevention, but what when you need to self defence yourself or your family?

And I tried to find out whether Silat is permissible in Islam or not, I found this Video below; but I don't understand that language - is that Indonesian? What does he say?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drS4oQngdZI

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Huzaifah ibn Adam
08-19-2016, 09:44 PM
وعليكم السلام ورحمة الله وبركاته

In Islaam, self-defense is not just permitted; it's encouraged. Muslims are encouraged to train and become stronger. Rasoolullaah صلى الله عليه وسلم said in a Hadeeth that a strong Mu'min is more beloved to Allaah Ta`aalaa than a weak Mu'min.

During the Khilaafah of Hadhrat `Umar ibn al-Khattaab رضي الله عنه, he used to encourage the Muslims to train and he severely condemned obesity (as a result of overeating).

----------

You have read the Hadeeth but you need to understand it. Yes, in Islaam, Muslims are not supposed to hit people in the face. This is in normal scenarios. For example, you're sparring with someone, and you're punching each other in the face. This is not permissible. Another example: You go in for professional boxing, and punch people in the face and get punched in the face. Not permissible. You are causing harm to others and being dealt harm yourself, and it's uncalled for. The situation is not hostile. You are not being attacked.

If you are being attacked, on the other hand, then you can punch wherever you need to. The situation calls for it. IF you can put down the assailant without punching in the face, well and good. But if you can't, then just do what you need to do.

So it is like this: in normal, non-hostile situations, avoid punching people in the face. This is the reason boxing is not allowed in Islaam as a sport.

In a hostile situation, it's different.

والله تعالى أعلم

M.I.A.
08-19-2016, 09:50 PM
what ya gonna do? bring fists to an argument? knives to a fist fight? guns to a fencing competition?

...9 times out of 10 you will only ever hit the smaller guy anyway.

self defence is in increasing awareness...

most people end up falling over anyway!

so the best thing you can do is move out the way.

not saying learning to punch will do you wrong.. but most people end up cutting themselves with there own knives..

for a while anyway.

if you could hit you as hard as you could, best not to learn.

and it's that attitude that will protect your family in the long run.

.. probably

I don't know what a face is.

defend yourself..

I have paraphrased badly a story about a well that contains armour and weapons..

the Prophet pbuh apparently chose armour.

..I have no idea how authentic it is.

paddy paraphrased is probably an understatement..

racist autocorrect is racist...

badly.

LaSorcia
08-19-2016, 10:09 PM
Aikido is a Japanese martial art that allows very good self-defense, with no face striking. No kicking or hitting at all. It uses the opponent's bulk and momentum against them. It also teaches good escape techniques. It is extremely effective. Our sensei (teacher) is in a direct line from aikido's founder.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Huzaifah ibn Adam
08-19-2016, 10:10 PM
Rasoolullaah صلى الله عليه وسلم himself used to wrestle. So did the Sahaabah. Hadhrat `Umar ibn al-Khattaab رضي الله عنه, Hadhrat Khaalid ibn al-Waleed رضي الله عنه and Hadhrat Mu`aawiyah ibn Abi Sufyaan رضي الله عنه were all champion wrestlers.

new2010
08-19-2016, 10:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Huzaifah ibn Adam
وعليكم السلام ورحمة الله وبركاته

In Islaam, self-defense is not just permitted; it's encouraged. Muslims are encouraged to train and become stronger. Rasoolullaah صلى الله عليه وسلم said in a Hadeeth that a strong Mu'min is more beloved to Allaah Ta`aalaa than a weak Mu'min.

During the Khilaafah of Hadhrat `Umar ibn al-Khattaab رضي الله عنه, he used to encourage the Muslims to train and he severely condemned obesity (as a result of overeating).

----------

You have read the Hadeeth but you need to understand it. Yes, in Islaam, Muslims are not supposed to hit people in the face. This is in normal scenarios. For example, you're sparring with someone, and you're punching each other in the face. This is not permissible. Another example: You go in for professional boxing, and punch people in the face and get punched in the face. Not permissible. You are causing harm to others and being dealt harm yourself, and it's uncalled for. The situation is not hostile. You are not being attacked.

If you are being attacked, on the other hand, then you can punch wherever you need to. The situation calls for it. IF you can put down the assailant without punching in the face, well and good. But if you can't, then just do what you need to do.

So it is like this: in normal, non-hostile situations, avoid punching people in the face. This is the reason boxing is not allowed in Islaam as a sport.

In a hostile situation, it's different.

والله تعالى أعلم
It's all mentioned in this fatwa: https://islamqa.info/en/10427

Quote from the fatwa above:
Al-Haafiz said: “This prohibition also includes all those who are struck for the purpose of hadd or ta’zeerpunishments or discipline. According to the hadeeth narrated by Abu Bakrah and others, which was recorded by Abu Dawood and others, about the woman who had committed adultery, the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) commanded that she should be stoned to death, and said, ‘Stone her, but avoid the face.’ (Narrated by Abu Dawood, 4/152). If that is the command in the case of one who is being punished and is going to die anyway, then the rule is even more applicable in cases of lesser severity.” See al-Fath, 5/216

What when you train e.g. Jeet Kune Do or Silat. May you do sparring when you have headguards on? I mean it will most likely not harm you.

@M.I.A: I do agree, best way is to avoid any trouble and alhamdulillah I have never been in such a situation. Nevertheless, it's interessting to learn, when you're reasonable and have the right intention. I don't want to fight; that doesn't belong to my personality and not to our religion. Just want to train to gain a good health, a site effect of material arts is self defence, but I was just wondering because of these ahadith.

btw: Even in the situation of a knife attack, I never would defend myself with a knife, the danger of killing the attacker would be to high. If I would get attacked with a knife, I would just run as fast as a can.

May Allah protect us.

Huzaifah ibn Adam
08-19-2016, 10:28 PM
As long as when you're sparring you aren't punching each other in the face, it will be permissible, In Shaa Allaah.

ardianto
08-19-2016, 11:59 PM
Wa,alaikumsalam warahmatullahi wabarakatuh

format_quote Originally Posted by new2010
And I tried to find out whether Silat is permissible in Islam or not, I found this Video below; but I don't understand that language - is that Indonesian? What does he say?

Ustadz Azhar Idrus is Malaysian, and that is Malaysian Melayu language. In the video ustadz Azhr explain that silat is not haram. Which is haram is if someone use magic in silat.

Indeed, there are people who use magic to increase performance in silat, like to make him can move faster than normal human. That's why in silat competition there is officer who watch the participant. If the officer see a participant look unusual that indicate he use magic, the officer will disqualify this participant.

But, like ustadz Azhar Idrus has said, silat is martial art that not haram.

talibilm
08-20-2016, 05:14 AM
Assalamualaikum wa rahmetullahi wa barakatuhu,

the world is going crazy nowadays, the people are going crazy. We read and hear of people, Muslims as well as non-Muslims, get attacked without any rational reason, Allah knows best what is in the minds of the troublemakers. However, that did lead me to the question whether self defence is allowed in Islam or not. I did some research and came to the conclusion: it is permissible. Nevertheless, I came across the hadith in which RasulAllahi salallahu alaihi wa sallam said:
"When any one of you fights, let him avoid (striking) the face.” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari, al-Fath, 5/215).

How is self defence possible without striking in the attackers face? What if he hits you in your face? I know, best self defence is prevention, but what when you need to self defence yourself or your family?

:sl:

There are verses of Noble Quran & many hadiths implying us to be good at self defence (words used are steeds of war, horses ,archery those days) these days you should know better what do they refer or imply to- , so this is a stressed one but we muslims always lag in such things :embarrass consequently by abandoning the commands of Allah we have become under dogs to the kuffar and we import those weapons that kuffar wants to discard, lol.

Huzaifah ibn Adam
08-20-2016, 10:02 AM
The Shi`as claim that Pencak Silat originated from Hadhrat `Ali رضي الله عنه.

talibilm
08-20-2016, 03:11 PM
Related Noble Quran verses & Hadith

8:60 '' And make ready against them all you can of power, including steeds of war (tanks, planes, missiles, artillery, etc.) to threaten the enemy of Allah and your enemy, and others besides whom, you may not know but whom Allah does know. And whatever you shall spend in the Cause of Allah shall be repaid unto you, and you shall not be treated unjustly.''

Muslim :: Book 20 : Hadith 4711
It has been narrated on the authority of Ibn Amir who said: I heard the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) say-and he was delivering a sermon from the pulpit: Prepare to meet them with as much strength as you can afford. Beware, strength consists in archery. Beware, strength consists in archery. Beware, strength consists in archery.

Dawud :: Book 40 : Hadith 4754
Narrated Sa'id ibn Zayd: The Prophet (peace_be_upon_him) said: He who is killed while protecting his property is a martyr, and he who is killed while defending his family, or his blood, or his religion is a martyr.

From Abû Hurayrah (radiyAllâhu 'anhu) who said that Allâh's Messenger (salAllâhu 'alaihiwa'sallam) said:"The believer is a mirror for the believer, and the believer is the brother of the believer. He safeguards his property for him and defends him from behind.

Huzaifah ibn Adam
08-20-2016, 05:13 PM
Rasoolullaah صلى الله عليه وسلم said, "Indeed, power is in shooting."

ardianto
08-20-2016, 11:04 PM
The Shi`as claim that Pencak Silat originated from Hadhrat `Ali رضي الله عنه.
That's not true. I never found reference which mention Sahaba radiallahu anhu practiced self-defence technique that similar as far-east martial art. All reference just refer to boxing and wrestling which common in Middle East in that time.

Pencak Silat itself is original Southeast Asian martial art that very inspired by animal moves.

Huzaifah ibn Adam
08-20-2016, 11:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto
That's not true. I never found reference which mention Sahaba radiallahu anhu practiced self-defence technique that similar as far-east martial art. All reference just refer to boxing and wrestling which common in Middle East in that time.

Pencak Silat itself is original Southeast Asian martial art that very inspired by animal moves.
Yes. The claim is obviously false. The Shi`as are liars and nothing they say about Hadhrat `Ali رضي الله عنه can be accepted.

Trusting a Shi`a Kaafir is like trusting a Zionist Jew.

ardianto
08-20-2016, 11:23 PM
If that hadith confuse you, it's because you don't know about the background of that hadith. Okay I explain.

Life in the era of Rasulullah Shalllahu Alayhi Wasalam was very 'hard'. Conflict between tribe and other tribes often happened. So the boys have been trained to fight since they were kid. And to maintain their fighting skill, they often did training which they fought each other. That hadith actually refer to fight in training, not in real fight with the enemy. Rasulullah Shallahu Alayhi Wassalam warned them to not punch the face to prevent them injured in training. If you read other refference you could find this background.

ardianto
08-20-2016, 11:26 PM
Yes. The claim is obviously false. The Shi`as are liars and nothing they say about Hadhrat `Ali رضي الله عنه can be accepted.

Trusting a Shi`a Kaafir is like trusting a Zionist Jew.
I found that claim in brochure from a martial-art course. I guess, owned by Shia.

Snow
08-24-2016, 05:40 PM
I'd highly recommend BJJ/GJJ.
I've done Judo, GJJ, BJJ and a bit of boxing.

With a few months of GJJ/BJJ, you should be able to defend yourself against most (not trained) unarmed people.
Even thought strength helps, it is mostly based on leverage.

naveedsubhani
08-25-2016, 12:57 PM
Self defence is allowed in islam

M.I.A.
08-25-2016, 01:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by naveedsubhani
Self defence is allowed in islam
...and the moral of the story is..

not as important as the answer..

M.I.A.
08-27-2016, 07:23 PM
recently I found too often people walking straight at me..

so now I walk towards lampposts...bins..phone boxes.. bus stops.

guess I have to give up running.

Huzaifah ibn Adam
08-27-2016, 07:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by M.I.A.
recently I found too often people walking straight at me..

so now I walk towards lampposts...bins..phone boxes.. bus stops.

guess I have to give up running.
?

I'm not entirely sure what you mean. (Not partially sure either.)

M.I.A.
08-27-2016, 08:38 PM
:D

... :D

never mind, count your blessings if it makes no sense to you.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.