/* */

PDA

View Full Version : I want to dye my hair, but...

afiqah
08-21-2016, 12:20 PM
Assalammualaikum

I plan to dye my hair an ombre colour (so only the bottom part of my hair like 1/3 will be coloured and my hair is quite long) but the colour i want is is only available in commercial dyes. I have heard its not haraam to dye your hair in any way as long as 1/3 of it is left for wudu. So is it permissible ?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
noraina
08-21-2016, 02:46 PM
Wa alaykum assalam,

I am no expert, so please someone correct me if I am wrong. I've heard the semi-permanent dyes invalidate wudhu and ghusl as they only coat the hair and don't let water get through, however permanent dyes are okay as they actually colour the hair like natural henna. I mean you should always check with the company yourself of course and make sure. And apart from black any colour is fine.

I've never dyed my hair but my friend has and she makes sure she uses permanent ones which colour the hair, not coat it.

I haven't heard of the 1/3 rule before.

Allah swt knows best

afiqah
08-21-2016, 04:14 PM
Oh so permenant dyes are halal as long as the water permeates through ? I believe the 1/3 rule is because we only wet our hair above our forehead for wudu, but thank you so much for replying!

And yes He definitely does [emoji4]

noraina
08-21-2016, 04:23 PM
That's generally the rule that permanent dyes are okay, but do check just in case. The dye should actually colour the hair, not coat it, then inshaAllah it'll be fine for wudhu.

Oh yes, I get the 1/3 thing now, lol.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Umm Abed
08-21-2016, 05:20 PM
Talking about one third, and what about ghusl?:D

Dyeing the hair is permissible whether permanent or non-permanent, Huzaifah bin Adam can confirm, jzk.

afiqah
08-21-2016, 05:27 PM
Oh thats a good point, but luckily i found a permenant hair dye in the colour i wanted HAHA, but im still gg to dye just the bottom half of my hair. It was actually my uztat who told me abt the 1/3 thing and since he was talking to a class of underage teens and also he did not mention abt bathing after menstruation. So he told us about it im afraid he did not specify :/ thats why its always important to ask !
Thank you anyways !

hend.abuauf
08-21-2016, 05:35 PM
Problem solved Alhamdu l Allah

Huzaifah ibn Adam
08-21-2016, 05:49 PM
وعليكم السلام ورحمة الله وبركاته

Yes, it is permissible for you to dye your hair. Your Wudhoo and Ghusl will be valid, In Shaa Allaah.

Mufti Muhammad ibn Adam gave a nice Fatwaa on the topic some time back which you can find here:

http://seekershub.org/ans-blog/2010/...-of-hair-dyes/

والله تعالى أعلم

والسلام

Umm Abed
08-21-2016, 05:49 PM
Yes its best to ask when in doubt.

Btw, wouldnt it look odd doing half your hair only?

Huzaifah ibn Adam
08-21-2016, 05:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Umm Abed
Yes its best to ask when in doubt.

Btw, wouldnt it look odd doing half your hair only?
Maybe she is doing it because the husband likes it? We don't know if the sister is married.

cinnamonrolls1
02-12-2018, 07:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Huzaifah ibn Adam
Maybe she is doing it because the husband likes it? We don't know if the sister is married.
Or maybe shes doing it cos she wants to do it for herself?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.