/* */

PDA

View Full Version : scared about direction of qiblah

Aaqib
08-22-2016, 01:59 AM
Ok, i've thought that as long as i'm praying in the general direction of the qiblah, it's fine.

But idk now, if not, will all my past prayers be Accepted?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Little_Lion
08-22-2016, 02:12 AM
I will paraphrase what is taught by Bilal Philips at IOU since I do not remember the exact wording (maybe someone else can precisely quote the hadith for me, insha'Allah?):

The Prophet (pbuh) was traveling to the north of Mecca with some of his companions, and one of them asked about the direction of the Kabbah for the purpose of prayer, I believe was the situation. And the Prophet (pbuh) said, pointing toward the south, that everything from the East to the West is the direction of the Kabbah.

So, a range of 180 degrees. If you know the general direction of the Kabbah - if you are in the US it is in the east, actually it's more to the northeast because of the way rhumb lines work - and pray in that direction, your prayer will be accepted.

If you wish to be more precise, there are several qibla compass applications you can download for your phone, or an actual qibla compass is around $4-5 dollars. This site https://www.halaltrip.com/prayertimes/qibla-direction/ will also show you the correct direction.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.