View Full Version : All Good Food

Pages : 1 [2]

Huzaifah ibn Adam
09-05-2016, 12:41 PM
Mutton Karahi

Mutton Karahi

by Ayesha Haq in Pakistani Delicacies Tags: Karahi, Mutton, Pakistani

27 Votes

This is a wonderful dish which will make your day and the best thing is that red chilli powder is not added in it. It is made in cracked black pepper, tomatoes and normal salt. Do try this and enjoy your Eid with family and friends …

Mutton Karahi
Ingredients

• 750 gms diced lamb/ mutton or beef (You can use meat with bones, there is no difference in the method of cooking and preparation)
  • 2 onions sliced (medium to large size)
  • 1 cup oil
  • 2 tbspns meat tenderizer (best meat tenderizer is green papaya paste)
  • 1/2 cup vinegar
  • 1 tspn ginger paste
  • 1 tspn garlic paste
  • 1 tspn red chilli paste (OPT) (For Hot Flavour)
  • ½ tspn cinnamon powder (fresh)
  • 2 cloves and 2 big cardamoms crushed
  • 1 tbspn cracked black pepper
  • ½ tspn of nigella seeds (kalonji seeds)
  • 2 tomatoes
  • 1 cup yogurt
  • A pinch of turmeric

FOR WHOLE GARAM MASALA

• 1 big cardamom
  • 1 small cardamom
  • 1 stick of cinnamon
  • Few fenugreek seeds and leaves
  • ½ tspn cumin seeds

FOR GARNISHING

• 2 – 4 green chillies sliced vertically
  • A bunch of green fresh coriander chopped
  • Few juliennes of ginger

Procedure:
-Marinade meat in vinegar and meat tenderizer (best meat tenderizer is green papaya paste) for 12 – 14 hours.
-Heat oil in a deep pan and add onions and whole garam masala and fry until onions change their color. Now add lamb pieces, turmeric and ginger garlic paste. Stir fry for 10 minutes. Now add salt to taste on low medium heat cook the meat.
-When the moisture vanishes and oil comes up, add yogurt and tomatoes and other spices except black pepper and cook on low heat until it takes a form of masala. This process will take approximately 20 minutes.
-Now add black pepper and stir. Take it out in a dish and garnish with garnishing ingredients written above.
-Serve hot with naan bread or tandoori roti.
Outcome:
Tasty and aromatic mutton karahi is ready to serve.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Huzaifah ibn Adam
09-05-2016, 12:47 PM
Mutton Karahi is best served with Roghni Naan.

Karahi Gosht.

colinberry1
09-05-2016, 12:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by noraina
I don't like the spice mix boxes or ready-mixed powders you find in store, they're okay, but if you want those intense fragrant flavours to come through you need to mix them yourself, or at least know what's been put into the powders.

You wouldn't think it would, but it makes a world of difference to the cooking.
I have to totally agree with you, I found that if you bought the whole unground spice slightly toasted it yourself and grounded or pounded it yourselves it makes the best curry.

colinberry1
09-05-2016, 01:01 PM
Wow that looks beautiful, you must be a very good cook, it looks first-class if it tastes as good as it looks I have to congratulate you, I'm sure it does I can smell it from here.

Well you really should give the recipe and all.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Umm Abed
09-05-2016, 01:21 PM
All the nice food is coming:p

Umm Abed
09-05-2016, 01:23 PM
Chicken wings are awesome, especially when baked or grilled in the oven.

Regrets1
09-05-2016, 02:09 PM
Now that's my kinda "All good food"

noraina
09-05-2016, 02:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Huzaifah ibn Adam
Mutton Karahi is best served with Roghni Naan.

Karahi Gosht.

Those naans are definitely 'good food' - would beat a loaf of bread anyday.

Kiro
09-05-2016, 02:37 PM
Even I don't go in for food that's too spicy or strong. I eat more the Arab style.
Thank you for the wisdom brother

Huzaifah ibn Adam
09-05-2016, 02:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by colinberry1
Wow that looks beautiful, you must be a very good cook, it looks first-class if it tastes as good as it looks I have to congratulate you, I'm sure it does I can smell it from here.

Well you really should give the recipe and all.
No, I didn't make it. That, sir, is made by ladies from India and Pakistan. Indian and Pakistani women are naturally good at cooking. It's a natural talent they have.

It's a fact. Put Gordon Ramsey or Jamie Oliver against even an (unknown) Indian or Pakistani woman, and she will out cook Oliver and Ramsey by far. I'm not even referring to the chefs and professional cooks among the Indo-Pak Subcontinent ladies. I'm referring to the normal housewives with no degrees or certificates or anything in cooking.

Huzaifah ibn Adam
09-05-2016, 02:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by noraina
Those naans are definitely 'good food' - would beat a loaf of bread anyday.
Definitely. Regular bread can never compare with Naans and Rotis and stuff like that.

mission2succeed
09-05-2016, 08:12 PM
Tandoori Chicken (and the boneless version, "chicken tikka") is still the nicest kind of chicken, though:

It's especially good with chips, rolls, cooldrinks and Aloo Paratha:

Tandoori Chicken is called that because it's made in a clay oven called a "Tandoor".
Yum now that's more like real tasty food masha'allah

Umm Abed
09-06-2016, 08:47 AM
Anyone knows how to make a proper Rogan Josh? The one that is dark red in colour?

Huzaifah ibn Adam
09-06-2016, 09:52 AM
Lamb Rogan Josh

Lamb Rogan Josh

Chef
: Manju Malhi
Recipe Servings
: 3
Recipe Cook Time
: 1 Hour
.................................................. ................
Lamb Rogan Josh is a Kashmiri delicacy. This dish is robust with flavors of varied spices. Lamb cooked with the aroma of cinnamon, cardamom, bay leaves, turmeric, coriander and garam masala.

Watch Video

print button 1?version1 -
newmail 1?version1 -
comments 1?version1 -

Ingredients

• 250 gm lamb chops or stewing lamb

3 Tbsp vegetable oil

2 pieces cassia bark or cinnamon stick

2 bay leaves

2 green cardamoms

2 onions, finely chopped

2 garlic cloves, finely chopped

1 Tbsp butter

1/4 tsp turmeric

1/4 tsp chilli powder

1/2 tsp ground cumin

1/2 tsp ground coriander

1 tsp tomato puree

1/4 tsp salt

A pinch of garam masala

1 tsp lemon juice

Method

Heat the oil in a heavy based pan.

Tip in the cassia bark, bay leaves and cardamoms. When they sizzle (make sure they don't burn, if they do, discard whole spices and repeat the process) add the garlic and the onions followed by the butter and fry till the onions are nicely caramelized.

This will take about 10 minutes. It may be longer if you're frying more onions.

Add the turmeric, chilli powder, cumin and coriander and mix for about 30 seconds. Stir in the tomato puree and mix.

Add the lamb and fry for 5 to 7 minutes till it changes colour or turns opaque.

Pour 400ml of just boiled water, cover and simmer for 40 minutes till the meat is tender.

Remove the lid and add the salt and sprinkle the garam masala. Stir in the lemon juice.

Just before serving you could garnish with washed and chopped coriander leaves (if you're freezing or serving the next day, don't add the leaves).

If you want to make the sauce thicker, cook the curry further.

If you want more sauce, add an extra 200ml of water.

The oil should rise to the top of the saucepan, which means the curry is ready

HOW TO MAKE RESTAURANT STYLE LAMB ROGAN JOSH

July 18, 2011 By Dan Toombs 45 Comments
LAMB ROGAN JOSH IS THE MOST POPULAR LAMB DISH AT INDIAN RESTAURANTS

A true favourite… Lamb rogan josh.

This lamb rogan josh recipe is simply delicious! I have been making it for the past few years and though I love traditional recipes, there is something about this restaurant style lamb rogan josh that just gets it. It’s creamy and has a nice spicy punch.
Mutton or lamb rogan josh originated in the Kashmir region of India where it is made with whole spices. The lamb, mutton or goat meat is stewed for a couple of hours with the spices including cockscomb which is not available in the West which gives the curry its trademark red colour. In this recipe we use paprika to achieve the red tone. You could also try infusing Ratton Jot in a little oil for a natural extra red colour. It is available at many Asian shops.
In order to make this lamb rogan josh the restaurant way, you will need to cook your meat first and make a restaurant style curry sauce. You could simply use left over cooked lamb but you may like to try my restaurant style cooking method here.
My base curry sauce can be used as a base for many different restaurant style curries – spicy to mild. Think of the base sauce as a vegetable stock. It does not have a lot of flavour on its own but when you add different spices and ingredients to it from my recipes, you will find that classic Indian takeaway flavour.
I have two recipes for the curry sauce – both large and small. The large batch will get you the best results but if you don’t want to make such a big batch go for the small version.
In restaurant Indian cooking, the meat is pre-cooked so that it is not tough when served. There aren’t many diners who would be willing to wait two hours for their meal. If you love restaurant style Indian cooking, and you like the mildly spicy flavour of lamb rogan josh, you are going to love this recipe!

Some of the essential ingredients. Garlic paste, cashew paste and yorgurt.

The essential spices, paprika, garam masala, cumin, coriander powder and fenugreek leaves.

Melt the ghee/oil over medium high heat and pour in the spices.

Stir it all up and then plop in the garlic and ginger paste.

Stir the garlic and ginger paste into the spiced ghee and then add the base curry sauce.

Stir in the meat and some of the cooking juices from your pre cooked meat.

A little of the spiced stock from the pre-cooked meat adds a lot of delicious flavour.

Add the cashew paste and stir it in. Then add the yogurt, stirring continuously one tablespoon at a time.

To finish, sprinkle in the dried fenugreek leaves, check for seasoning and add salt and pepper to taste.

Illustrated with photographs of each recipe!
My Ebook of curry house style recipes is available now for download to Kindle, iPad, Smartphones and most tablets!

4.5 from 8 reviews

PRINT
HOW TO MAKE RESTAURANT STYLE LAMB ROGAN JOSH

Author: Dan Toombs

Prep time: 1 hour
Cook time: 10 mins
Total time: 1 hour 10 mins

Serves: 4

INGREDIENTS

• 800g lamb leg cut into one inch pieces
  • 4 tablespoons ghee or vegetable oil
  • 750ml heated curry sauce - Link to recipe above
  • 2 tablespoons paprika
  • 1 teaspoon red chilli powder (or more to taste)
  • 2 tablespoons cashew paste (Simply pound a cashews with a little water into a paste)
  • 2 tablespoons garlic and ginger paste (not used at all restaurants for rogan josh)
  • 1 tablespoon cumin
  • 3 tablespoons plain yogurt
  • 1 tablespoon garam masala
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 tablespoon dried fenugreek leaves
  • 3 tablespoons chopped coriander

INSTRUCTIONS

1. In a large sauce pan, heat the ghee or oil until bubbling hot.
  2. When hot, add the paprika, cumin, garam masala and chilli powder. Allow to sizzle for about 30 seconds.
  3. Toss in the garlic and ginger paste followed and stir it all up to combine.
  4. Pour in the base curry sauce along with the cashew paste. Stir to combine.
  5. The sauce will turn a deep red colour - add the meat and a little of the cooking juices for flavour.
  6. Reduce the heat and add the yogurt one teaspoon at a time whisking as you do to combine. If you add the yorgurt all at once it will curdle.
  7. Check for seasoning and add salt and pepper to taste along with the dried fenugreek leaves.
  8. Top with chopped coriander and serve with white rice and/or naans.

Umm Abed
09-06-2016, 03:24 PM
:jz: , the curry den one look like a great recipe.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.