/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Why you should work out!

strivingobserver98
08-27-2016, 04:05 PM
:sl:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
M.I.A.
08-27-2016, 04:17 PM
I made myself some cardboard boxing gloves..

just me and the 4 walls now.

...I'm joking.. if you don't have to take many punches count your blessings.

Huzaifah ibn Adam
08-27-2016, 04:50 PM
Cardboard boxing gloves?

Rather do calisthenics.

You can either do:

1) Weight-lifting (bodybuilding, power-lifting or strongman).

Or:

2) Calisthenics (Body-weight training).

Which one you do depends on what you're after and how much money you have. Calisthenics is free while weight training is expensive.

Calisthenics is more suitable for soldiers. Weight-lifting falls into three different categories:

1) Bodybuilding, for guys who just want to show off. Bodybuilders aren't "Strong" in the true sense. In a fight, a bodybuilder doesn't stand a chance against even an average MMA fighter. That's because bodybuilders don't care about strength; they care about form, muscles, vascularity, etc.

2) Powerlifting. This is for those who just want to be able to lift the most amount of weight. The disadvantage of powerlifting is that powerlifters become so heavy that they're unable to run, jump or even walk that much. They can just stand in one place and lift weights. Hence, powerlifters don't make good soldiers.

3) Strongman. This is for those who want all-round strength. They're almost as muscled up as bodybuilders and can lift almost as much as powerlifters. So, Strongman is the best of the three.

---

On the other hand, calisthenics is free and can be done wherever you are. It will give you a high level of fitness and strength. A person good in calisthenics would be a good soldier and could go into parkour if he wanted.

M.I.A.
08-27-2016, 05:02 PM
thanks, I will Google it and see what I can improvise.

the boxing is mainly to negate a sedentary lifestyle and awkward working pattern...

keep the belly away, I'm a small guy anyway so it's not a problem..

God I miss football.

the last line of my post was being a bit self loathing, not all days are bad..

just keep moving forward really.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Huzaifah ibn Adam
08-27-2016, 05:24 PM
If you don't have a naturally "larger" frame and build, then don't go into weight-lifting; go into calisthenics instead.

M.I.A.
08-27-2016, 05:34 PM
meh.. see how it goes.

Serinity
08-27-2016, 05:47 PM
:salam:I LOVE EXCERSISING!!!!!!!!!!!It is like an addiction.. In the beginning it is HARD. VERY Hard. BUT, it WILL, In shaa' Allah, become easier! Every beginning is hard! And remember, ANYTHING that is GOOD for you, is hard in the beginning. Medicine tastes bad, it may hurt, etc. BUT it will heal you, Truth may hurt, but it helps you. Allahu alam.

Huzaifah ibn Adam
08-27-2016, 05:50 PM
Very true, akhi. Which training are you into?

Serinity
08-27-2016, 06:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Huzaifah ibn Adam
Very true, akhi. Which training are you into?
Assuming you are reffering to me. I like calisthenics (sorry for spelling)

Scimitar
08-27-2016, 07:24 PM
If you don't have a naturally "larger" frame and build, then don't go into weight-lifting; go into calisthenics instead.
technical body training - circuit exercising / calisthenics all good. I did Muai Thai burran, wing chun and southern style preying mantis for around 14 years total (16-30) and after that I dropped all three and got into parkour... Yet I'm getting lazy as I get older and have only been running five times this summer.

I gotta sort it out,

Scimi

Huzaifah ibn Adam
08-27-2016, 07:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Serinity
Assuming you are reffering to me. I like calisthenics (sorry for spelling)

ما شاء الله

Huzaifah ibn Adam
08-27-2016, 07:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Scimitar
technical body training - circuit exercising / calisthenics all good. I did Muai Thai burran, wing chun and southern style preying mantis for around 14 years total (16-30) and after that I dropped all three and got into parkour... Yet I'm getting lazy as I get older and have only been running five times this summer.

I gotta sort it out,

Scimi
Excellent. That's a lot of different martial arts styles you've gone into. Even Wing Chun, Ip Man style.

noraina
08-27-2016, 07:47 PM
Wa alaykum assalam,

I try to do an hour's exercise a day, I really can't be bothered to go to the gym lol so I do it from home.

The video above is so accurate about how rewarding daily exercise is, it just makes you feel so much better ma'sha'Allah. I was once told how our body is a trust from Allah swt, and good health is a gift, and it's our duty to take care of it - and this is a form of gratitude. The Prophet (peace be upon him) was very fit physically and encouraged physical exercise himself.

It makes sense we should keep ourselves in good health, subhanAllah Islam encompasses each and every aspect of one's life, both the spiritual and the physical.

aamirsaab
08-27-2016, 07:49 PM
I do a mix of work outs; Mon, wed, Friday: upper body (press ups, dumb bells) tues/thursday: mid body (crunches, flutter kicks, planks etc) then round it out with football and rest on the weekend. Once I get stronger I intend to add tricep curls into the mix, and hopefully join a gym too.

We should have a fitness section.

Scimitar
08-27-2016, 08:03 PM
Excellent. That's a lot of different martial arts styles you've gone into. Even Wing Chun, Ip Man style.
long story lol.

I stayed behind after Muai Thai class because our Acharn (guide/trainer) was expecting his friend who does wing chun to come and spar with him after class. I wanted to watch, two different and opposing styles at work against each other. Muai Thai you keep your distance usually, whereas in Wing Chun, you close that distance - this was to me, interesting.

After the spar, I asked abut Wing Chun (didnt know anythin about it) and was told to come join classes, so I did... I ended up doing both, Muai Thai and Wing Chun.

One day in Muai Thai class, I was sparring with a friend and I used a few wing chun moves and was caught out by Acharn lol - he pulled me to the side and told me that was illegal and to leave the ring - gutted I left.

After lessons he pulled me to the side and said something along the lines of "I saw what you was attempting, but your foot work was gonna let you down, you can't fuse Muai Thai with Wing Chun like that, they are polar opposites - but that's not to say it is impossible" so I asked, "how can it work?" he told me that on Saturday he is going to his other friends house to help him fix up his shed and that his other friend was a master of bagua and preying mantis, and that I should come along and ask if I can learn preying Mantis with him, southern style... I asked why, and he told me that the leg and foot movements in preying mantis will allow me to fuse Muai Thai and Wing Chun together... I was fascinated and up for it...

...and that's how two became three :)

format_quote Originally Posted by aamirsaab

We should have a fitness section.
Or we could just join a fitness forum instead :D

Scimi

Raptor
08-27-2016, 09:11 PM
I watched this video a while back but this comment someone made on the video 'Does the sheikh in the video even lift' had me dying

Huzaifah ibn Adam
08-27-2016, 11:33 PM
Among the Sahaabah, wrestling was very famous. Hadhrat Khaalid ibn al-Waleed رضي الله عنه, Hadhrat `Umar ibn al-Khattaab رضي الله عنه and Hadhrat Mu`aawiyah ibn Abi Sufyaan رضي الله عنه were all champion wrestlers.

Scimitar
08-27-2016, 11:36 PM
I was told many years ago, that wrestling was practiced in the masjid as well - so this would make wrestling in the masjid, acceptable?

I did once school 4 kids in jamaat :D after midnight.

Scimi

Huzaifah ibn Adam
08-27-2016, 11:39 PM
The wrestling should be done outside of the Masjid (like in the courtyard) so as to avoid causing any Takleef to people inside who may be making `Ibaadah. The wrestling would cause a disturbance for them.

strivingobserver98
08-27-2016, 11:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Raptor
I watched this video a while back but this comment someone made on the video 'Does the sheikh in the video even lift' had me dying
He even drinks protein sheikhs :P.

format_quote Originally Posted by noraina
I try to do an hour's exercise a day, I really can't be bothered to go to the gym lol so I do it from home.
Home is hard for me, whereas gym you have your own crew and personal trainer :). Like a mentor accountability type of person. Does your area have female only gyms there?

Today I got lot of boxing done alhamdulilah they pushed and pushed me to the edge.

Scimitar
08-28-2016, 12:00 AM
BOXING EH?

fancy having a go at an oldie? :D

Scimi

Eric H
08-28-2016, 08:14 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by farhan

Today I got lot of boxing done alhamdulilah they pushed and pushed me to the edge.
The human body is incredible, I think the mind gives up but the body could keep going, I think most of us could achieve incredible goals well beyond what we think we are capable of. I gave up smoking when I was 32 and took up cycling, within eighteen months I did the 875 miles from Lands End to John O Groats in 102 hours. But just to fool the mind and make this seem easier, when we finished, we turned back and cycled back to Inverness, adding on another 100 miles. We had time the following day to do a 200 k event before catching the train home.

My friends were talking about doing the Paris -Brest- Paris about four months after, this was a 1200 k event to be completed within 80 hours, over 2,000 people come from all over the world to take part. I didn't fancy doing it, until someone said as a joke to ride it on a fixed wheel bike. For those who don't know, the fixed wheel is associated more with sprinting, like the track racing at the Olympics, there is just one gear, and no freewheel, so you have to peddle every inch of the way.

The fixed wheel option suited my sense of humour, but training did not go well, I failed a 600 and 1,000k event, so the most I completed in training was about 600k, half the distance I needed. The time for the ride came, and I decided to ride the odd 120 miles to Paris with my friends to the start of the event, and we would ride home after.

I truthfully do not know how this works, but adding another 250 miles on top of a target that was already twice beyond what I had achieved, somehow made the ride easy. Back in 1983 I was the only person to do the ride on a fixed wheel, I had to turn the peddles round about 220,000 times in 85 hours, and when you include riding to and from the event, I turned the peddles round just under a third of a million times.

My next goal that ended in failure was a penny farthing, I thought of riding the Lands End to John O Groats on one, but for any of you who have ever goner over the handlebars on a penny farthing, you will know that it hurts.

And now to 'One God', a geared bike is like the religions of the world, there are lots of them, and you can chop and change, even freewheel and coast along when you like. The fixed wheel single speed is the One God, there are no alternatives, and you have to make some effort every inch of the way.

Huzaifah ibn Adam
08-28-2016, 10:38 AM
He even drinks protein sheikhs :P.

Home is hard for me, whereas gym you have your own crew and personal trainer :). Like a mentor accountability type of person. Does your area have female only gyms there?

You're learning boxing? Do you spar as well?

noraina
08-28-2016, 11:47 AM
Home is hard for me, whereas gym you have your own crew and personal trainer . Like a mentor accountability type of person. Does your area have female only gyms there?

There is one female-only gym, only I actually find going to the gym harder to keep up as a routine. It's a 20-minute drive, and I don't drive so I found it impractical for myself. I prefer doing exercise from home, then I do it everyday inshaAllah. I have one of those fitness watches and I use that as a kind of silent motivator.

M.I.A.
08-28-2016, 12:29 PM
my brother sent me a link to this video.. I thought it quite relevant.

also an understanding of how peaceful a person should be.

...they seem like nice guys.

https://youtu.be/kukG4ejk7TI

on second thoughts it screams terrorist training camp.. best stick to gym

Serinity
08-28-2016, 01:12 PM
I'd like sword-fighting, and sparing..

Huzaifah ibn Adam
08-28-2016, 01:52 PM
Try to get firearm training as well. That's the archery of today.

Scimitar
08-28-2016, 02:10 PM
I still feel firing a gun is cowardly, compared to drawing blood the old fashioned way.

Scimi

Scimitar
08-28-2016, 02:10 PM
hehe, so do I.

Scimi

Serinity
08-28-2016, 02:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Scimitar
hehe, so do I.

Scimi
Tbh, I like the old fashioned way with arrows. What about developing some very good archery-technology with arrows that follows the victim? or an arrow that splits up into MORE arrows as it rains upon the enemy? Like a decoy. Or explosive arrows..

Or arrows that that split up into more arrows, and after hitting the target/enemy splits up into tiny sharp fractions and then explodes simultaneously.

As for swords, I'd like to be able to equip myself with as many swords as possible. One in each hand, one grabbed by the mouth.. 3 swords. Some nice combo attack lol.

Instead of having a sword that cuts and slices, what about a sword that shreds?

M.I.A.
08-28-2016, 02:53 PM
Hhhmm...

goes back to watching green arrow.

Huzaifah ibn Adam
08-28-2016, 03:01 PM
Tbh, I like the old fashioned way with arrows. What about developing some very good archery-technology with arrows that follows the victim? or an arrow that splits up into MORE arrows as it rains upon the enemy? Like a decoy. Or explosive arrows..

Or arrows that that split up into more arrows, and after hitting the target/enemy splits up into tiny sharp fractions and then explodes simultaneously.

As for swords, I'd like to be able to equip myself with as many swords as possible. One in each hand, one grabbed by the mouth.. 3 swords. Some nice combo attack lol.

Instead of having a sword that cuts and slices, what about a sword that shreds?
Yaa Akhi, you've been watching too much, I think! Roronoa Zoro and Green Arrow, to be precise.

Huzaifah ibn Adam
08-28-2016, 03:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by M.I.A.
Hhhmm...

goes back to watching green arrow.
There you have it.

Huzaifah ibn Adam
08-28-2016, 03:04 PM
Firing a gun isn't cowardly. A gun fight between two men requires bravery, as, for one of them to die is a certainty. You have a gun and your opponent(s) have guns. Obviously, someone is going to get killed - either you or them.

Like in the days of the old cowboys, when it was "High Noon"...

M.I.A.
08-28-2016, 03:17 PM
There you have it.
...hmm..

yep, a sedentary lifestyle.. Maybe I'm hibernating.

I found some stairs.. so I'm going to practise jumping.

Serinity
08-28-2016, 03:28 PM
Yaa Akhi, you've been watching too much, I think! Roronoa Zoro and Green Arrow, to be precise.
Didn't know of Green Arrow, but when I wrote about 3 swords, Roronoa Zoro came to mind.

M.I.A.
08-28-2016, 03:35 PM
reminds me of the time I went paintballin with a group of friends.

literally shot in the face within a minute.

...I was ok after that, had a great day..

proper Paki rambo (no racism intended)

weapons have a mind of there own.

Huzaifah ibn Adam
08-28-2016, 04:40 PM
From the Ahaadeeth we know that the following sports are good:

1. Running.
  2. Swimming.
  3. Wrestling.
  4. Sword-Fighting.
  5. Archery.
  6. Horse-Riding.

Now in these times, we will expand sword-fighting to include knife fighting; wrestling to include every kind of beneficial martial arts; archery to include guns; horse-riding to include cars, motorbikes, tanks, trucks, etc.

Serinity
08-28-2016, 04:47 PM

1. Running.
  2. Swimming.
  3. Wrestling.
  4. Sword-Fighting.
  5. Archery.
  6. Horse-Riding.

Now in these times, we will expand sword-fighting to include knife fighting; wrestling to include every kind of beneficial martial arts; archery to include guns; horse-riding to include cars, motorbikes, tanks, trucks, etc.
I love swordfighting, martial arts, and driving cars..... Haven't driven any car though. :) What about Parkour? Football? Doesn't football go in under running, and Football in under running and some nice moments.

M.I.A.
08-28-2016, 05:09 PM

1. Running.
  2. Swimming.
  3. Wrestling.
  4. Sword-Fighting.
  5. Archery.
  6. Horse-Riding.

I once saw a guy win a knife fight and he didn't even have a knife!

much respect, although they were far from merciful as a whole..

all praise is due to Allah swt.

who raises and lowers as he wills.

I'd probably end up cut on a paper bag.

...that was a true story though, I've not lived in the nicest of places.

Huzaifah ibn Adam
08-28-2016, 05:35 PM
Some Fataawaa on the issue of sports:

https://islamqa.info/en/138420

https://islamqa.info/en/75644

keiv
08-28-2016, 07:39 PM
The first link talks about jumping out of a plane. The second link talks about being a professional football player. The OP's video is about exercising.

Huzaifah ibn Adam
08-28-2016, 07:41 PM
It's not directed at the OP. They are miscellaneous Fataawaa on the issue of sports. Serinity asked about football. The second link is to a Fatwaa which deals with playing football professionally and non-professionally.

muslim brother
10-13-2016, 08:23 PM
i had a 20 page thread on sunniforum.com about working out..ive done many different things over the years..

inshallah will discuss once i can have access to the brothers only forum

Aay1K0
11-12-2016, 06:16 AM
Take a walk or head to the gym for a quick workout. One of the most common mental benefits of exercise is stress relief. Working up a sweat can help manage physical and mental stress. Exercise also increases concentrations of norepinephrine, a chemical that can moderate the brain's response to stress. Physical activity or workout can improve your health and reduce the risk of developing several diseases. Exercise can have immediate and long-term health benefits. Most importantly, regular activity can improve your quality of life. Regular physical activity can reduce blood pressure in those with high blood pressure levels. Physical activity reduces body fat, which is associated with high blood pressure.
Some major benefits of workout are mention below:

• 1. Reduce stress
  • 2. Boost happy chemicals
  • 3. Improve self-confidence
  • 4. Enjoy the great outdoors.
  • 5. Prevent cognitive decline
  • 6. Alleviate anxiety
  • 7. Boost brainpower
  • 8. Sharpen memory
  • 9. Help control addiction
  • 10. Increase relaxation
  • 11. Tap into creativity

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.