/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Allah SWT Does Not Burden Us

Umm Abed
08-29-2016, 03:30 PM
:sl:

Allah Swt says in the Qur'an, لَا يُكَلِّفُ اللَّهُ نَفْسًا إِلَّا وُسْعَهَا
“ Allah does not burden a soul beyond that it can bear…” --Qur’an, 2:286.

Does this means burdens imposed by others and from oppression, or does it mean from the laws of Allah swt which He commanded us to do? Or is it for both? @Huzaifah ibn Adam.

:jz:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Huzaifah ibn Adam
08-29-2016, 05:39 PM
It means that Allaah Ta`aalaa will never put you into such a situation and into such circumstances which you are not able to bear. This refers to both laws imposed by the Sharee`ah as well as burdens and difficulties caused by people.

Umm Abed
08-29-2016, 05:52 PM
I always thought it only referred to the laws of Allah swt which He placed on us.

:jz: for your answer.

Eric H
08-30-2016, 11:40 AM
Greetings and peace be with you Umm Abed;

I always thought it only referred to the laws of Allah swt which He placed on us.
Try thinking of it in this way, if people oppress you, then you must try and resolve the problem, but only by obeying the laws of Allah swt. When you ignore the laws of Allah swt, and try and resolve human problems by going against Allah's law, you then seem to place a burden on yourself and possibly on others too.

The bottom line seems to be the law of Allah, but forgive me if I have spoken out of place.

Blessings,

Eric

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Umm Abed
08-30-2016, 01:03 PM
Thank you @Eric H , and greetings to you as well; may Allah swt guide you onto the light of Iman ameen.

Well said, because life can be full of conflicts but we just have to know how to deal with them and resolve them, otherwise its of no use sitting back just and wishing for things to change. It must come from within ourselves and in line with Allah's laws.

Also some people have the attitude of giving up on life when things get a bit too much, but we must realize it doesnt last forever. So if I find myself in a difficult position --may Allah protect me and us all -- the attitude should be "Praise be to Allah in every condition." Thats what was thought to us by Rasulullah:saws:, when we're faced with adversity.

czgibson
08-30-2016, 01:16 PM
Greetings,

format_quote Originally Posted by Huzaifah ibn Adam
It means that Allaah Ta`aalaa will never put you into such a situation and into such circumstances which you are not able to bear.
What about people trapped under rubble after an earthquake, for example?

Peace

ardianto
08-30-2016, 02:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by czgibson
Greetings,

What about people trapped under rubble after an earthquake, for example?

Peace
Greetings, czgibson.

Lets we take a look the complete verse of Al-Baqarah:286

"Allah does not charge(burden) a soul except [with that within] its capacity. It will have [the consequence of] what [good] it has gained, and it will bear [the consequence of] what [evil] it has earned. "Our Lord, do not impose blame upon us if we have forgotten or erred. Our Lord, and lay not upon us a burden like that which You laid upon those before us. Our Lord, and burden us not with that which we have no ability to bear. And pardon us; and forgive us; and have mercy upon us. You are our protector, so give us victory over the disbelieving people."

The part which Allah does not burden someone beyond his/her capacity actually is not about tragedy or calamity or having disability. But it does refer to duty and obligation, which Allah does not burden someone with duty and obligation that beyond his/her ability to do it. In example, Allah obligate Muslims to perform salah only 5 times a day, not 100 times a day that beyond the common people ability to do.

Peace.

czgibson
08-30-2016, 02:44 PM
Greetings,

format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto
The part which Allah does not burden someone beyond his/her capacity actually is not about tragedy or calamity or having disability.
How do you know this?

Peace

Little_Lion
08-30-2016, 02:58 PM
Now I find this interesting, because I always thought that the burdens Allah put upon us could very easily be interpreted as calamity or disability. It's been a great comfort to me that whatever has befallen me, whether it be my husband's suicide, waiting several years to get disability and having to fight my mental illness at work that whole time, etc. has always been a burden and test from Allah that he thought I could bear, and Alhamduillah, I got through it all and came out stronger on the other end because of it.

Serinity
08-30-2016, 03:00 PM
yeah, I've overcome my doubts, in shaa' Allah, all I need to do is ignore the constant worries now. :)

Alhamdulillah.

Serinity
08-30-2016, 03:56 PM
Greetings, czgibson.

"Allah does not charge(burden) a soul except [with that within] its capacity. It will have [the consequence of] what [good] it has gained, and it will bear [the consequence of] what [evil] it has earned. "Our Lord, do not impose blame upon us if we have forgotten or erred. Our Lord, and lay not upon us a burden like that which You laid upon those before us. Our Lord, and burden us not with that which we have no ability to bear. And pardon us; and forgive us; and have mercy upon us. You are our protector, so give us victory over the disbelieving people."

The part which Allah does not burden someone beyond his/her capacity actually is not about tragedy or calamity or having disability. But it does refer to duty and obligation, which Allah does not burden someone with duty and obligation that beyond his/her ability to do it. In example, Allah obligate Muslims to perform salah only 5 times a day, not 100 times a day that beyond the common people ability to do.

Peace.
How do you know that it doesn't refer to calamity, etc?

ardianto
08-30-2016, 04:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by czgibson
Greetings,

How do you know this?

Peace
Greetings,

Verse 286 directly relate to verse 285

"The Messenger has believed in what was revealed to him from his Lord, and [so have] the believers. All of them have believed in Allah and His angels and His books and His messengers, [saying], "We make no distinction between any of His messengers." And they say, "We hear and we obey. [We seek] Your forgiveness, our Lord, and to You is the [final] destination."

These two verses are not about tragedy or calamity, but about obedience and what a Muslim will get if he do his obligation or if he violate the prohibition. Notice the part "It (the soul/human) will have [the consequence of] what [good] it has gained, and it will bear [the consequence of] what [evil] it has earned.".

In verse 286 Allah gives a message that there's no reason for Muslims to not do their duty and obligation because Allah does not burden Muslims with duty and obligation that beyond their ability to do.

The English translation of Qur'an, indeed, low in accuracy and may be confusing. Different than Indonesian translation, which Arabic is one of three languages that became the base of Indonesian/Malay language. If you understand Indonesian and read the Indonesian Official Qur'an Translation, then you would know that Al-Baqarah 286 is about obedience to the duty and obligation.

Peace. :)

ardianto
08-30-2016, 04:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Serinity
How do you know that it doesn't refer to calamity, etc?
See post #12

czgibson
08-30-2016, 04:30 PM
Greetings,

The English translation of Qur'an, indeed, low in accuracy and may be confusing. Different than Indonesian translation, which Arabic is one of three languages that became the base of Indonesian/Malay language. If you understand Indonesian and read the Indonesian Official Qur'an Translation, then you would know that Al-Baqarah 286 is about obedience to the duty and obligation.
Well I suppose I'll just have to take your word for it. This distinction is not clear in any of the English translations that appear here.

Peace

Huzaifah ibn Adam
08-30-2016, 06:08 PM
The Mufassiroon (commentators of the Qur'aan) generally explain this Aayah to be referring to Shar`i obligations, such as the fulfillment of the obligatory duties of Islaam and abstention from the sins. This is within the capability of all people. However, it is more than that.

What is one of the things Islaam orders us to have? Sabr. Am I correct? It is a demand of Islaam that a person has Sabr (patience) over whatever happens to him. Hence, Allaah Ta`aalaa will not burden you with such a calamity over which you will not be able to maintain Sabr (patience). Whatever hardship has befallen you, it will be within your capability to bear that hardship with beautiful patience (Sabrun Jameel).

You find that certain people have been afflicted with numerous painful illnesses whereas others are generally healthy and rarely sick. Some people have been afflicted with poverty whereas others have been granted riches. Some people get imprisoned and spend years of their life in jail. Some people undergo torture in those prisons.

The ones Allaah Ta`aalaa selects to undergo those difficulties, it is because He has already granted them the strength to bear all of it with Sabrun Jameel (a beautiful patience). Allaah Ta`aalaa will not put such a burden or hardship upon you which you are not able to bear with Sabr (patience).

Wallaahu Ta`aalaa A`lam.

"Individual Responsibility

The sūrah continues: “God does not charge a soul with more than it can bear. In its favour shall be whatever good it does, and against it whatever evil it does.” (Verse 286) It is within this framework of divine mercy and justice that a Muslim views, with total confidence and satisfaction, his obligations as God’s vicegerent on earth, the challenges he faces in fulfilling those obligations, and the ultimate reward he receives. He is content in the belief that God is fully aware of his abilities and limitations, and will not overburden him or subject him to any duress or coercion. Not only does this fill a believer’s heart with contentment and peace of mind, but it also inspires him to discharge his duties to the best of his ability. He is fully aware that any weakness he may experience is not because the task is excessive, but due to his own shortcomings, and this, in turn, motivates him to strengthen his resolve and strive for excellence in his actions."
[Sayyid Qutb رحمة الله عليه: Fee Zhilaal-il-Qur'aan (In the Shade of the Qur'aan), vol.1, p.411]

Umm Abed
08-30-2016, 06:48 PM
:jz: for that beautiful explanation brother Huzaifah.

Qsayedd11
05-28-2020, 08:23 PM
Brother 100 percent agree. I totally feel the same and interpret the same from these verses. Alhumdulilah

Greetings, czgibson.

Peace.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.