/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Is saying OMG haram

mezzi_sohal
08-31-2016, 06:13 PM
I saw a cute pic of a puppy and I said "Oh my God, how cute," My intention was not to call this puppy a God, but I want to know if what I said was haram, and if it is haram to say it in general.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Umm Abed
09-01-2016, 08:45 AM
Yes obviously your intention wasnt wrong.

Next time, in general, just say Oh my gosh!:D

startingarabic
09-01-2016, 09:49 AM
Maybe it would be best to say إِلَهِي instead of god ya ilahii

here is a nice nasheed on it.

Huzaifah ibn Adam
09-01-2016, 10:06 AM
If a person sees something good, they should say "Maashaa'Allaah".

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
greenhill
09-01-2016, 02:24 PM
And sees something bad also maashaa Allah?..

The idea is to have Allah at the tip of your tongue, forefront of your thoughts at all times.

:peace:

Huzaifah ibn Adam
09-01-2016, 02:26 PM
If he sees something bad he should recite Ta`awwudh.

What kind of bad do you mean, though?

Kiro
09-01-2016, 02:27 PM
OMD!!!

finally some people how starting to see how redundant this sentence/phrase. Maybe now I can start a revolution

Also, I don't think it's any difference from people saying Ya Allah

Huzaifah ibn Adam
09-01-2016, 02:53 PM
"OMD"?

Kiro
09-01-2016, 02:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Huzaifah ibn Adam
"OMD"?
OH MY DAZE why did you not quote me??? :cry:

Huzaifah ibn Adam
09-01-2016, 03:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Kiro
OH MY DAZE why did you not quote me??? :cry:
I forgot to on account of my "inner child" already having turned into an old man and thus there's no one left to remember the small things.

I'll have to take your advice on the milk issue.

Kiro
09-01-2016, 03:04 PM
I forgot to on account of my "inner child" already having turned into an old man and thus there's no one left to remember the small things.

I'll have to take your advice on the milk issue.
That's more like it. Good boy.

If you are married, remember to give your wife some strawberry milk.

Huzaifah ibn Adam
09-01-2016, 03:06 PM
Women generally prefer strawberry milk anyway whereas men - in most cases - prefer chocolate milk.

Kiro
09-01-2016, 03:14 PM
Women generally prefer strawberry milk anyway whereas men - in most cases - prefer chocolate milk.
That's because women like sweet things, it's good to fatten up a woman

Huzaifah ibn Adam
09-01-2016, 03:16 PM
it's good to fatten up a woman
You are like the Arab men, then. Arab men prefer for the wife to be slightly chubby.

Kiro
09-01-2016, 03:23 PM
You are like the Arab men, then. Arab men prefer for the wife to be slightly chubby.
People say I look like an Arab... and a Mexican... and an Indian.... And a MAyalsian... ANd a Pakistani... ANd JApanese... ANd others

Besides, if you fatten up the woman than she will be in love with you. Isn't the females weakness the Dunya?? ALso, she would be powerless to nag you because it would taken up energy from the energy stored up that will tire her out!

Genius Kiro strikes again!

noraina
09-01-2016, 03:30 PM
I don't know if I'm an exception, but I can't stand strawberry milk, I can drink chocolate milk like water though.

Tbh the men in my family don't seem to like sweet foods particularly, they don't even like chocolate.

In reference to the OP, us Brits like to say 'oh my days!' of omd, :D, but I think it's better to say ma'sha'Allah or subhanAllah, I think it is wonderful if the first thing that comes to your mind in any situation is Allah swt, just needs a bit of training.

Huzaifah ibn Adam
09-01-2016, 03:31 PM
Don't use the word "fat" so easily. You might get hit by a rolling pin.

Huzaifah ibn Adam
09-01-2016, 03:32 PM
People say I look like an Arab... and a Mexican... and an Indian.... And a MAyalsian... ANd a Pakistani... ANd JApanese... ANd others
So which race do you belong to? And you'd better not say "Japanese".

noraina
09-01-2016, 03:33 PM

Besides, if you fatten up the woman than she will be in love with you. Isn't the females weakness the Dunya?? ALso, she would be powerless to nag you because it would taken up energy from the energy stored up that will tire her out!

Genius Kiro strikes again!
There is so much wrong with this statement, where did you get those facts from? :skeleton:.

Would you rather want a fat wife who can't move much or a healthy wife who can complete all the house chores properly and run after the kids? I wouldn't be particularly impressed if someone wanted me to be fat, *never ever*.

And there's that age-old fact 'The way to man's heart is through his stomach', which suggest the opposite is true.

Umm Abed
Omd! :D

Kiro
If you use the word tubby, you might get a knife

Kiro
09-01-2016, 03:36 PM
So which race do you belong to? And you'd better not say "Japanese".
Bengali. They can be a mix of everything. Though... I want join the Strawberry milk clan.

format_quote Originally Posted by noraina
There is so much wrong with this statement, where did you get those facts from? :skeleton:.

Would you rather want a fat wife who can't move much or a healthy wife who can complete all the house chores properly and run after the kids? I wouldn't be particularly impressed if someone wanted me to be fat, *never ever*.

And there's that age-old fact 'The way to man's heart is through his stomach', which suggest the opposite is true.

You are probabbly distraught from the manipulative tactician that lies within Man, marriage is like a horse race. A war. Even to say chess.

Besides, we are all fat and we just haven't realised it. We all have fat cells.

noraina
09-01-2016, 03:46 PM
You are probabbly distraught from the manipulative tactician that lies within Man, marriage is like a horse race. A war. Even to say chess.

Besides, we are all fat and we just haven't realised it. We all have fat cells.
True, but its okay as long as we make sure they don't multiply tooo much.

Akhi, don't think of marriage like war - I think you need to read through the Happy Muslim Husband and Wife Thread, if you treat it like a race or chess game you'll lose - don't underestimate how manipulative women can be.

Kiro
09-01-2016, 03:46 PM
Notification squad!

Give the evidence that the womens weakness is the dunya!

@Huzaifah ibn Adam

Also, I didn't say to make the wife 'fat' like overweight. Otherwise, that was a joke. Fatten her up. Besides, it is good because it implies a good marriage because it implies you take your wife to dates which implies you take the wife to a restaurant or something.

Besides, I would love a fat wife all the same. I had read, one of the first wives of the Prophet :saws1: after our mother Khadija was described to be Elderly and 'fat' so it isn't so bad when one of our mothers was described this way. Besides you can be healthy with a bit of a pot belly.

Kiro
09-01-2016, 03:47 PM
Akhi, don't think of marriage like war -
Two adults, grown Human beings sharing the same fridge. I think I have made my point clear.

noraina
09-01-2016, 04:55 PM
Also, I didn't say to make the wife 'fat' like overweight. Otherwise, that was a joke. Fatten her up. Besides, it is good because it implies a good marriage because it implies you take your wife to dates which implies you take the wife to a restaurant or something.

Besides, I would love a fat wife all the same. I had read, one of the first wives of the Prophet after our mother Khadija was described to be Elderly and 'fat' so it isn't so bad when one of our mothers was described this way. Besides you can be healthy with a bit of a pot belly.
As long as you are both happy akhi, whatever size or shape the happiness comes in, what else would we want?

Two adults, grown Human beings sharing the same fridge. I think I have made my point clear.
Get two fridges, then there'll be no wars.

Huzaifah ibn Adam
09-01-2016, 05:34 PM
Bengali. They can be a mix of everything. Though... I want join the Strawberry milk clan.
There's a strawberry milk clan? I notice you always capitalise "Strawberry". Like, "the Strawberry milk clan". That's dedication right there. You have lots of loyalty towards Strawberry milk. (I'm even doing it myself.)

Huzaifah ibn Adam
09-01-2016, 05:35 PM
Notification squad!

Give the evidence that the womens weakness is the dunya!

@Huzaifah ibn Adam
Men and women are equally weak towards the Dunyaa. It is not just women.

Women are part of Dunyaa, and look how weak many men are when it comes to resisting women...

Huzaifah ibn Adam
09-01-2016, 05:38 PM
As long as I have a six-pack of Ginger Beer, it's fine. And one of Root Beer.

Kiro
09-01-2016, 06:18 PM
As long as you are both happy akhi, whatever size or shape the happiness comes in, what else would we want?

Get two fridges, then there'll be no wars.
Don't you know the hadith about the stomach of the son of Adam?

Kiro
09-01-2016, 06:20 PM
There's a strawberry milk clan? I notice you always capitalise "Strawberry". Like, "the Strawberry milk clan". That's dedication right there. You have lots of loyalty towards Strawberry milk. (I'm even doing it myself.)
Well done on the emphasis brother

زهراء
09-01-2016, 06:28 PM
3ajeeb! What the thread began with and what it looks like now[emoji23] [emoji28]
Quite amusing though

noraina
09-01-2016, 06:33 PM
Don't you know the hadith about the stomach of the son of Adam?
There are several ahadith concerning the stomach and eating. Which one are you referring to?

Huzaifah ibn Adam
09-01-2016, 06:45 PM
It may be a reference to either of these two Ahaadeeth:

Rasoolullaah صلى الله عليه وسلم said:

ما ملأ آدمي وعاء شرا من بطن بحسب ابن آدم أكلات يقمن صلبه، فإن كان لا محالة فثلث لطعامه وثلث لشرابه وثلث لنفسه

"The son of Aadam does not a fill a container worse than his stomach. Sufficient for the son of Aadam are a few morsels (of food) to keep his back straight. If he insists, then one third (of his stomach should be) for food, one third for water and one third for his breathing." [Narrated in Sunan at-Tirmidhee.]

Or this Hadeeth:

لو أن لابن آدم وادياً من ذهب أحب أن يكون له واديان، ولن يملأ فاه إلا التراب، ويتوب الله على من تاب

"If the son of Aadam had a valley of gold, he would want to have two valleys (i.e. he would not rest until he has another one). Nothing will fill his mouth (i.e. nothing will terminate his greed) except dust (i.e. when he is put in the grave). And, Allaah accepts the repentance of the one who repents unto Him." [Narrated in Saheeh al-Bukhaari.]

sister herb
09-01-2016, 06:47 PM
People whose own language isn´t Arabic, might not remember to say it by Arabic when they surprisingly see something cute. What about saying it by everybody´s own language?

"Voi Herran jestas sentään kun on söpö pupu."

Huzaifah ibn Adam
09-01-2016, 08:21 PM
In the beginning they may forget to say it, but definitely with a bit of effort they will eventually remember it, In Shaa Allaah. Just like how people of all races and languages know the Islaamic greeting despite it being in Arabic. They also know phrases like Jazaakallaah, Alhamdulillaah, etc.

noraina
09-01-2016, 08:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sister herb
"Voi Herran jestas sentään kun on söpö pupu."
Is that ma'sha'Allah in Finnish sis?

Kiro
09-01-2016, 09:59 PM
Where did this tradition began? I feel like it is redundant to say because obviously Allah willed it. Just like everything else. So you're just stating the obvious.

sister herb
09-02-2016, 04:20 PM
Is that ma'sha'Allah in Finnish sis?
= "Oh my God, how cute bunny."

It´s just an example. It´s quite same but we might not use in our everyday speech exactly similar phases like in English or in Arabic but it´s near of it.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.