/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Virtual video greetings

Kiro
09-02-2016, 08:09 PM
I've never gotten a clear answer to this.

If a Youtuber (or someone in a video in general) gives the Islamic greeting or someone says hello, do you have respond back?

I also get emails from Bayyinah saying 'Asalamu alaikum'. Do I have to return them back.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Huzaifah ibn Adam
09-02-2016, 10:20 PM
If someone writes you a message (whether it's email, PM, WhatsApp, etc.) with the Islaamic greeting, you have two options in front of you:

1) Reply verbally and not write the greeting back to the person (the verbal utterance sufficed you from that).

2) Write the greeting back to the person (Wa `Alaykumus Salaam wa Rahmatullaahi wa Barakaatuh).

You can also do both, if you want.

A YouTube video on the other hand does not count, because that is a recorded message not directed at you particularly in the first place.

Huzaifah ibn Adam
09-02-2016, 10:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Kiro
someone says hello
You don't have to respond to "hello". You are only obliged to respond to the Islaamic greeting. Anything else, you respond if you want to.

M.I.A.
09-02-2016, 10:24 PM
could imagine driving other people nuts..

shouting walaqum asalaam at computer screen.

..no its not funny.

although if etiquette permits then it's a nice habit to write it in a reply or YouTube comment.

would get you noticed for sure..

Unless it's an automated email.. :/

personally could do a gif with sound and attach it to everything..

although I would hate to appear a fool or make mockary when none is intended.

..so it's not a thing yet and I would hate to suffer for my comedy.

ooh what's this.. *clicks gif* :|

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Huzaifah ibn Adam
09-02-2016, 10:26 PM
No need to shout the greeting. Can say it just audible enough for yourself to hear.

Kiro
09-02-2016, 10:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Huzaifah ibn Adam
You don't have to respond to "hello". You are only obliged to respond to the Islaamic greeting. Anything else, you respond if you want to.
Think I saw a hadith that says respond with the same, similar or even better greeting. So I don't think it only applies to the Islaamic greeting.

No, it is an ayah

“When you are greeted with a greeting, greet in return with what is better than it, or (at least) return it equally.” [al-Nisa’ 4:86]

Huzaifah ibn Adam
09-02-2016, 10:52 PM
{وَإِذَا حُيِّيتُمْ بِتَحِيَّةٍ** كَأَنْ قِيلَ لَكُمْ سَلَام عَلَيْكُمْ {فَحَيُّوا** الْمُحَيِّي {بِأَحْسَن مِنْهَا** بِأَنْ تَقُولُوا لَهُ عَلَيْك السَّلَام وَرَحْمَة اللَّه وَبَرَكَاته {أَوْ رُدُّوهَا** بِأَنْ تَقُولُوا لَهُ كَمَا قَالَ أَيْ الْوَاجِب أَحَدهمَا وَالْأَوَّل أَفْضَل

From Jalaalayn:

"And when you are greeted with a greeting [meaning, it is said to you "Salaamun `Alaykum"] then greet [the one who greeted you] with better than it [by saying to him, "`Alaykas Salaam wa Rahmatullaahi wa Barakaatuh"] or return it [by repeating to him the greeting he gave you. Meaning, that is compulsory, but the first (to respond with better) is more virtuous.]" [Tafseer Jalaalayn of Imaam as-Suyooti رحمة الله عليه,on Aayah 86 of Soorah an-Nisaa.]

Kiro
09-02-2016, 10:55 PM
{وَإِذَا حُيِّيتُمْ بِتَحِيَّةٍ** كَأَنْ قِيلَ لَكُمْ سَلَام عَلَيْكُمْ {فَحَيُّوا** الْمُحَيِّي {بِأَحْسَن مِنْهَا** بِأَنْ تَقُولُوا لَهُ عَلَيْك السَّلَام وَرَحْمَة اللَّه وَبَرَكَاته {أَوْ رُدُّوهَا** بِأَنْ تَقُولُوا لَهُ كَمَا قَالَ أَيْ الْوَاجِب أَحَدهمَا وَالْأَوَّل أَفْضَل

From Jalaalayn:

"And when you are greeted with a greeting [meaning, it is said to you "Salaamun `Alaykum"] then greet [the one who greeted you] with better than it [by saying to him, "`Alaykas Salaam wa Rahmatullaahi wa Barakaatuh"] or return it [by repeating to him the greeting he gave you. Meaning, that is compulsory, but the first (to respond with better) is more virtuous.]" [Tafseer Jalaalayn of Imaam as-Suyooti رحمة الله عليه,on Aayah 86 of Soorah an-Nisaa.]
Bro, are you running away from my VM? ;D:D

Huzaifah ibn Adam
09-02-2016, 10:56 PM
From Tafseer ibn Katheer:

{وَإِذَا حُيِّيتُمْ بِتَحِيَّةٍ فَحَيُّوا بِأَحْسَنَ مِنْهَا أَوْ رُدُّوهَا** أَيْ: إِذَا سَلَّمَ عَلَيْكُمُ الْمُسْلِمُ، فَرَدُّوا عَلَيْهِ أَفْضَلَ مِمَّا سَلَّمَ، أَوْ رَدُّوا عَلَيْهِ بِمِثْلِ مَا سَلَّمَ [بِهِ] (6) فَالزِّيَادَةُ مَنْدُوبَةٌ، وَالْمُمَاثَلَةُ مَفْرُوضَةٌ

"And when you are greeted with a greeting, then respond with better than it or return it." Meaning, when a Muslim gives Salaam to you, then return it with a greeting better than the one he had given, or return it with the same greeting he had given. Increasing upon the greeting (i.e. greeting better than you had been greeted) is Mandoob (recommended), but returning the greeting is Mafroodh (obligatory)." [Tafseer ibn Katheer.]

Huzaifah ibn Adam
09-02-2016, 11:00 PM
Bro, are you running away from my VM? ;D:D
All has been responded to.

Kiro
09-02-2016, 11:05 PM
All has been responded to.
Clever response. Well played.

Huzaifah ibn Adam
09-02-2016, 11:10 PM
Clever response. Well played.
It was, wasn't it?

Kiro
09-02-2016, 11:11 PM
It was, wasn't it?
Yes. Mr Classy :p

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.