/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Ok this is beginning to become an issue.. what's the ruling on photography?

Aaqib
09-05-2016, 06:10 PM
Now before you think/say "Oh come on this is answered already" I just got two sides of the story/personal issues.

There is a picture of me as a baby and my dad on a rollercoaster in Germany, printed pic. What now?

Is videos haram? If so, what about videos of recitations of the Quran?

Taking pictures of family vacation is haram, yes or no?

I enjoy taking picture of nature/landscapes.. according to the hadith narrated by Ibn Abbas on photography: This is not haram, correct? Ibn 'Abbaas (may Allaah be pleased with him and his father) reported that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: "Every image-maker will be in the Fire, and for every image that he made a soul will be created for him, which will be punished in the Fire." Ibn 'Abbaas said: "If you must do that, make pictures of trees and other inanimate objects." (Reported by Muslim, 3/1871)

Taking videos of art (games for example) is haram, yes or no?

I don't want to suffer the fate of those who created new creations... so I'm going to stay safe and ask.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Little_Lion
09-05-2016, 10:31 PM
You could get as many answers as there are answers to give. Many Muslims are of the opinion that photography of people is haram. Some believe that it is halal because it is just capturing a moment in time. Some believe that printing it is haram and keeping it digital is halal. Others say photography of landscapes is halal, and even painting them is halal. Many would say that even watching videos of art, like games, is haram, never mind videoing them.

So be prepared for a lot of interpretations. :)

Abz2000
09-05-2016, 10:49 PM
From what i've gathered so far, as long as it's not a picture of something haraam for you to see, it is ok to keep it in digital format or in an photo album, but it is definitely not ok to go hanging portraits of humans, animals, blue devs, genies/jinns, idols etc on walls or on the streets.

This fact has become obvious with the advent of satellite tv, lectures, u.n speeches etc. Video is just a bunch of pictures played at a high frame rate.

The hadith constantly refer to images hung up on display,
I hope someone with more knowledge can explain better.

Btw, Allah swt tells us that Sulaimaan :saws: who was given the correct understanding of matters had images etc made - this despite the Torah ruling being - no images, historical records and previous scripture tell us that they were lions and cherubs etc, however these were not images for worship but decor, however, the final Prophet pbuh is reported to again have ruled against hung up images of animate beings and the painting of portraits of such, (bearing in mind that the painting would have been one to hang up) so it's a case of seeing danger in such image displays especially given people's habit of seeking blessings from the weirdest of things, but that's best left to more knowledgeable and wise scholars of Quran to look into. Mind you the sphynx of egypt did survive since the conquest by 'Umar 'til now since they weren't worshipped (the sahabah and taabi'een can't have been ignorant of their existence) but the tree of hudaybiyyah didn't. But if that opens the door to people thinking they can use that to justify erecting and keeping a statue of it's churchill next to the mosque in jerusalem (image of jealousy) then bye bye sphynx is better than hello idol of churchill.

islamirama
09-05-2016, 10:55 PM
Many will have their views and evidences for this.

But the short answer is this.

Making images of animate beings is haram , everything else is halal.

The world "images" by normal standard definition would mean just that, images aka pictures. But we have people including statues in there as well and going all 2D/3D this and that to complicate the issue. Only thing of concern here is whether the word itself was translated from arabic to english correctly or not. Arabic is a definitive language and has precise words for each context you want to refer to. So I would be skeptic if the word 'image' was used as an all inclusive word to mean pictures and statues.

Anyways, images in any form or fashion (drawing, painting, blood, sand, etc) would be haram.

Images are different from photography. One requires your skill of the hand and materials used for craftsmanship while the other captures a life like image reflected onto the lens.

So what is the ruling on the photography then? There is no one rule on it, there is a difference of opinion. A conservative site like islamqa.com will say it is haram, while a not so conservative site like http://islamweb.com/en will say it is allowed.

Then the issue comes with digital photography, for that even conservative site like islamqa says is acceptable so long as it stays digital.

Which leaves you as to what you should do ?

That depends on you. You can follow either of the two opinions as they both are scholarly based and inshallah there will be no sin on you. The issue with having images is that the angels of mercy do not enter such a place. If you want to be on the conservative side then you could digitize your pictures and save them that way. In that case, make sure to use a high quality scanner and save it as .png so as not to loose quality over time.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Abz2000
09-05-2016, 11:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by islamirama
Many will have their views and evidences for this.

But the short answer is this.

Making images of animate beings is haram , everything else is halal.

The world "images" by normal standard definition would mean just that, images aka pictures. But we have people including statues in there as well and going all 2D/3D this and that to complicate the issue. Only thing of concern here is whether the word itself was translated from arabic to english correctly or not. Arabic is a definitive language and has precise words for each context you want to refer to. So I would be skeptic if the word 'image' was used as an all inclusive word to mean pictures and statues.

Anyways, images in any form or fashion (drawing, painting, blood, sand, etc) would be haram.

Images are different from photography. One requires your skill of the hand and materials used for craftsmanship while the other captures a life like image reflected onto the lens.

So what is the ruling on the photography then? There is no one rule on it, there is a difference of opinion. A conservative site like islamqa.com will say it is haram, while a not so conservative site like http://islamweb.com/en will say it is allowed.

Then the issue comes with digital photography, for that even conservative site like islamqa says is acceptable so long as it stays digital.

Which leaves you as to what you should do ?

That depends on you. You can follow either of the two opinions as they both are scholarly based and inshallah there will be no sin on you. The issue with having images is that the angels of mercy do not enter such a place. If you want to be on the conservative side then you could digitize your pictures and save them that way. In that case, make sure to use a high quality scanner and save it as .png so as not to loose quality over time.
But then you'd have to take children's book illustrations and halal cartoons into account....one defining factor is that they are not put on walls, also there isn't any risk of people putting flower necklaces around them and paying reverence to them after a while.

Huzaifah ibn Adam
09-06-2016, 12:43 AM
Read the book by Mufti Emraan Vawda on the issue:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...%20revised.pdf

It's well-researched and gives Dalaa'il (evidences) given from many different angles.

Read it through cover to cover, and you will gain a clearer understanding of the issue of Tasweer, In Shaa Allaah.

Search
09-06-2016, 12:58 AM
:bism: (In the Name of God, the Most Beneficent, the Most Merciful)

:sl:

I follow the fiqh (legal) ruling that holds pictures and videos are halal (permissible). Fiqh differences are a mercy for the ummah.

The fatwa (ruling) that I'm quoting, which supports this understanding:

Question:What is the ruling of hanging photos of one’s deceased parents in the entry way to one’s home, thereby seeking prayers for mercy and forgiveness for them from whoever enters his house?
Answer:
There is nothing wrong in circulating and hanging photos of humans or animals since they are free of imitating Allah’s creation about which makers of ‘depictions’ were strongly warned. Hanging pictures is permissible provided the photos are free of nudity and do not incite lust. This is because the type of ‘imaging’ intended by the firm warning in the hadith is creating complete statues which imitate Allah’s creation. Though it is called ‘depiction’, photography* is not unlawful since this apparent cause is absent – and rulings follow their apparent causes, whether present or absent. In truth, photography captures rays of light; it is called ‘depiction’ only in a metaphorical sense, and what matters in legal rulings is what is designated – not the designation itself.
Based on the above and in reference to the question, it is permissible to hang your parent’s photos for this noble purpose as long as your mother’s photo is decent. There is no harm whether it is a partial or complete picture. This is not prohibited – contrary to what some [may] have told you.
Dr. Ali Goma Mohammed
Grand Mufti of Egypt
*In Arabic, the words for sculpting, depiction, and imaging share a common linguistic root.
:wa:

format_quote Originally Posted by Aaqib
Now before you think/say "Oh come on this is answered already" I just got two sides of the story/personal issues.

There is a picture of me as a baby and my dad on a rollercoaster in Germany, printed pic. What now?

Is videos haram? If so, what about videos of recitations of the Quran?

Taking pictures of family vacation is haram, yes or no?

I enjoy taking picture of nature/landscapes.. according to the hadith narrated by Ibn Abbas on photography: This is not haram, correct? Ibn 'Abbaas (may Allaah be pleased with him and his father) reported that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: "Every image-maker will be in the Fire, and for every image that he made a soul will be created for him, which will be punished in the Fire." Ibn 'Abbaas said: "If you must do that, make pictures of trees and other inanimate objects." (Reported by Muslim, 3/1871)

Taking videos of art (games for example) is haram, yes or no?

I don't want to suffer the fate of those who created new creations... so I'm going to stay safe and ask.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.