/* */

PDA

View Full Version : is it permissible to play Dishonored (game) in islam?

Nisthar
09-07-2016, 02:13 PM
Assalamu alaikum,

Don't know if this is the right section for this thread. I am a muslim. I don't play game too much. But i play in my free time.

Anyway, I recently downloaded and installed Dishonored (PC game). The game has a charactor "The outsider" which is basically a supernatural being, partly angel, partly devil. Full description here (can't post the link as i am not a full member here. I'll paste some description below)

"The Outsider is a mysterious supernatural being said to be part-devil, part-angel, neither good nor evil. He appears to Corvo Attano and Daud as a plain-looking young man with short brown hair and black eyes, wearing a brown coat, blue pants and black boots.Though many people worship him, such is considered heresy by the Abbey of the Everyman and punishable by extreme measures, up to and including death. Spawned by the Void as a representational figure,[1] he appears to be the source of all magic in the world o fDishonored, and his shrines can be found across the Isles."

I didn't liked this part and the part where the outsider give powers to me :p

The game is not bad + plus i wasted some time downloading it. So, I want to know if its permissible to play this game or do i need to uninstall it (wasted around 1 day to download it:exhausted)?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Umm Abed
09-07-2016, 05:29 PM
:wa:

It doesnt seem like a good game, more like a waste of time, also these games can be so addictive.

You wont lose out by un-installing it.

I hope you get a better answer.

fhmn63
09-07-2016, 06:21 PM
uninstall it please.....
just a waste of time and energy which you can use in otherwise productive works.

Serinity
09-07-2016, 07:06 PM
From the sound of it, it has idolatry/major shirk in it. Worship is for Allah alone, worshipping anyone or anything besides Allah is major kufr and makes one a disbeliever. no matter what / who is worshipped besides Allah - for worship is for Allah alone.

Though many people worship him, such is considered heresy by the Abbey of the Everyman and punishable by extreme measures, up to and including death. Spawned by the Void as a representational figure,[1] he appears to be the source of all magic in the world o fDishonored, and his shrines can be found across the Isles."

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Nisthar
09-07-2016, 07:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Serinity
From the sound of it, it has idolatry/major shirk in it. Worship is for Allah alone, worshipping anyone or anything besides Allah is major kufr and makes one a disbeliever. no matter what / who is worshipped besides Allah - for worship is for Allah alone.

Though many people worship him, such is considered heresy by the Abbey of the Everyman and punishable by extreme measures, up to and including death. Spawned by the Void as a representational figure,[1] he appears to be the source of all magic in the world o fDishonored, and his shrines can be found across the Isles."
Thanks for the answer.

I uninstalled it already.

Anyway, Is it permissible to play it if we are considering it as only a game and not agreeing its storyline?

Serinity
09-07-2016, 07:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Nisthar
Thanks for the answer.

I uninstalled it already.

Anyway, Is it permissible to play it if we are considering it as only a game and not agreeing its storyline?
I don't know. Allahu alam.

A scholar may answer.

Zafran
09-07-2016, 11:22 PM
well I've played the game - its a revenge story -FICTIONAL revenge Story. So dont take it seriously. Good game though.

Little_Lion
09-08-2016, 12:38 AM
The standard answer . . .

https://islamqa.info/en/2898

. . . that being said I love me some World of Warcraft. I wish I had a computer that could still run it, but my gaming machine rolled over and died a slow death. :hiding:

Nisthar
09-08-2016, 04:10 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Zafran
well I've played the game - its a revenge story -FICTIONAL revenge Story. So dont take it seriously. Good game though.
Sorry for the bad english.

Yes, I am not taking it seriously. But i want to know if its halal that way?

According to me, the game has some false things that goes against islam like the beating heart tells "its the end of all things and the beginning" when carvo is in his dreams where he gets his power. Yes, the developers made the storyline to suit the game.

Whats your opinion on this?

Nisthar
09-08-2016, 04:47 AM
I know i had the same situation where i can't run World of warcraft in my pc.
Anyway, i read the answer you posted. Thanks for that. But the thing is i am not sure if it means its haram or halal?

The game is not considering "The outsider" as a god or anything. But the developers described it as a "godlike" or "supernatural being" who gives a set of powers to both evil and good as he's curious what will happen.

Zafran
09-08-2016, 11:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Nisthar
Sorry for the bad english.

Yes, I am not taking it seriously. But i want to know if its halal that way?

According to me, the game has some false things that goes against islam like the beating heart tells "its the end of all things and the beginning" when carvo is in his dreams where he gets his power. Yes, the developers made the storyline to suit the game.

Whats your opinion on this?
salaam

It has a lot of false things - you can teleport, possesses people or slow time down - Its all fictional, its meant to be game and not a Manuel to live your life. I'm not sure if you live in a restrictive place but this shouldn't be problem.

peace

LaSorcia
09-09-2016, 12:09 AM
I can't answer to what is officially halal or haram, being a Christian. But I avoid games that glorify evil or evil beings. Also, if your conscience is giving you true qualms, perhaps you should find a nicer game?

M.I.A.
09-09-2016, 01:39 PM
...why can't you play skyrim like...normal people.

:|

aamirsaab
09-09-2016, 03:47 PM
Video games are like fictional stories: sources of entertainment. Honestly, y'all need to relax about this issue - it pops up every now and then and sooner rather than later the haram police, rather like an rko, come out of nowhere.

ardianto
09-09-2016, 03:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aamirsaab
Video games are like fictional stories: sources of entertainment. Honestly, y'all need to relax about this issue - it pops up every now and then and sooner rather than later the haram police, rather like an rko, come out of nowhere.
But not every video game is good, bro. There are many video games that teach violence. So we have to be wise in choosing the game for us and our children.

aamirsaab
09-09-2016, 03:53 PM
Which is why they have age ratings ;)

M.I.A.
09-09-2016, 04:23 PM
..jab, jab, forward, light kick, heavy punch..

although its been a while.

Little_Lion
09-09-2016, 04:29 PM
LOAD"*",8,1

I'm old.

Akhi_Umar
09-09-2016, 04:44 PM

I think it's best to avoid it if that is the case.

In addition to this, it's also a waste of time and sometimes one might get preoccupied in playing the game and then end up praying his salah later on or even missing it. Unless one can discipline himself in a way were he can pray everything on time, I don't see why we should be playing such games. Besides, even if one can it's still a waste of time. You could be doing something more productive religiously speaking.

M.I.A.
09-09-2016, 05:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Little_Lion
LOAD"*",8,1

I'm old.
the good old days...

...emmmm.. That's what old people say.. probably.

had a c64 myself..

blows into tape cassette.. winds it with finger..

listens to "original modem noise (tm)" for ages..

yep, them were the days.

stay in school kids.

SAROYA
09-09-2016, 09:32 PM
Would you like to know another game that's prohibited. Chess. In Saudi Arabia to play chess is to commit sacrilege. Would you like to know why? Because there is a belief that the game can be gambled upon. I am avid chess player. There is a massive chess community worldwide. You may have heard about Grand Master such as Bobby Fischer or Magnus Carlson. None of them play to gamble. Chess is not a game of chance in any way whatsoever - yet the Saudi Fatwa declarers fail to see that.
The point here is that because there's some overweight dude who thinks you'll start worshiping the God like character of the game doesn't mean you will. Just because they are concerned about your ability to separate reality from fiction does not mean you should be.

On a side note, throught the Muslim world Goerge Orwell's book Animal Farm has been prohibited. The book described the rise of the totalitarian, supposedly communist, state in Soviet Russia under Lenin. It did this using the metaphor of Animals (the poor in Russia) removing their Human Owners (the elite in Russia who were exploiting their peasant workers). Now, there is little doubt (many studies have demonstrated this) to the Pig being one of the most clever of Farm animals, and so the narrative involved the pigs leading the revolt against the farmer. What happens after this revolution is that you discover that the leaders of that very revolution soon after become just like the animal's previous Human Owners, in that they exploit their subordinates. This is what happened in Russia with Lenin. Orwell portrayed the Pigs as being cruel, careless characters - who, despite the promises they made before the revolution, became exactly like the Human farm animal owners. This novel gave people a wonderful insight as to exactly what happened in Soviet Union. It is world proclaimed. No-one gives a damn about the fact that the main character being a Pig, that's NOT the point. Yet so many Muslims fail to read this historic literary masterpiece, a extremely educational piece, simply because there is a character of a Pig in there.

Huzaifah ibn Adam
09-09-2016, 10:05 PM
It was not banned because of gambling. Read the Fatwaa properly:

https://islamqa.info/en/14095

The above is the official Fatwaa given in Saudi Arabia regarding chess.

SAROYA
09-09-2016, 10:58 PM
I'm sorry. I think you may have missed the second paragraph of your source. The passage in the Quran is a reference to gambling. ''The majority of scholars (Abu Haneefah, Maalik, Ahmad and some of the companions of al-Shaafa’i) said that it is also haraam, basing that view on the evidence of the Book of Allaah and the opinions of the Sahaabah. The evidence of the Qur’aan is the words (interpretation of the meaning): “O you who believe! Intoxicants (all kinds of alcoholic drinks), and gambling, and Al-Ansaab [stone altars set up for sacrifices to idols etc], and Al-Azlaam (arrows for seeking luck or decision) are an abomination of Shaytaan’s (Satan’s) handiwork. So avoid (strictly all) that (abomination) in order that you may be successful.Shaytaan (Satan) wants only to excite enmity and hatred between you with intoxicants (alcoholic drinks) and gambling, and hinder you from the remembrance of Allaah and from As-Salaah (the prayer). So, will you not then abstain?”
format_quote Originally Posted by Huzaifah ibn Adam
It was not banned because of gambling. Read the Fatwaa properly:

The above is the official Fatwaa given in Saudi Arabia regarding chess.

Huzaifah ibn Adam
09-09-2016, 11:17 PM
Again, read it properly. Read it over and over. That very Aayah being quoted mentions a number of issues besides gambling. The Fatwaa itself presents a number of reasons besides gambling. Those reasons include the following:

1) Wastage of time.

2) Taking people away from Salaah and Dhikrullaah.

3) Hadhrat `Ali رضي الله عنه referring to people playing chess as being "devoted to idols".

Read:

"Al-Qurtubi (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: “This aayah indicates that it is haraam to play dice or chess, whether that involves gambling or not"

SAROYA
09-09-2016, 11:26 PM
Right, so you believe that Chess could, more say than the myriad of all the other possible things, cause you to be distracted from religeous obligations? That Chess is especially able to distract you from your Family?

Frankly, if Chess poses a threat there, anything absolutely anything, could do those things. In that case you probably shouldn't get a job. Never have hobbies etc etc etc. They all as much potential to meet the requirements of the first paragraph as chess.

Now, the Quranic Ayyah, are you proposing that Chess causes one to be intoxicated (you realize it's a strategy game, the masters of which are some of Humanity's greatest minds). Or are you proposing that it involves some sort of sacrifice to Idols? Scroll down a little and real the entire parable on Chess. IT IS ABOUT THE FEAR OF GAMBLING.

If not, do you mind, precisely describing what it is about - lets not have any references, I would like you to tell me directly why.

Again, read it properly. Read it over and over. That very Aayah being quoted mentions a number of issues besides gambling. The Fatwaa itself presents a number of reasons besides gambling.

Huzaifah ibn Adam
09-09-2016, 11:30 PM
Who told you it is about the fear of gambling. Did the Saudi `Ulamaa tell you that? You are refusing to read the entire Fatwaa. I showed you a clear excerpt from the Fatwaa stating that they view chess to be impermissible regardless of whether gambling is part of it or not.

Maybe the text is not big enough. Let me help you out:
"Al-Qurtubi (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: “This aayah indicates that it is haraam to play dice or chess,whether that involves gambling or not"

SAROYA
09-09-2016, 11:30 PM
Al-Dhahabi (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: “With regard to chess, most of the scholars say that it is haraam to play it, whether that is for money or not. If it is played for money then it is indisputably gambling. Even if it is not played for money it is still gambling and haraam, according to most of the scholars… al-Nawawi (may Allaah have mercy on him) was asked about playing chess, is it forbidden or permissible? He (may Allaah have mercy on him) replied that if it makes a person miss praying on time or he plays for money, then it is haraam, otherwise it is makrooh according to al-Shaafa’i and haraam according to others…” (al-Kabaa’ir, 89-90).

format_quote Originally Posted by SAROYA
Right, so you believe that Chess could, more say than the myriad of all the other possible things, cause you to be distracted from religeous obligations? That Chess is especially able to distract you from your Family?

Frankly, if Chess poses a threat there, anything absolutely anything, could do those things. In that case you probably shouldn't get a job. Never have hobbies etc etc etc. They all as much potential to meet the requirements of the first paragraph as chess.

Now, the Quranic Ayyah, are you proposing that Chess causes one to be intoxicated (you realize it's a strategy game, the masters of which are some of Humanity's greatest minds). Or are you proposing that it involves some sort of sacrifice to Idols? Scroll down a little and real the entire parable on Chess. IT IS ABOUT THE FEAR OF GAMBLING.

If not, do you mind, precisely describing what it is about - lets not have any references, I would like you to tell me directly why.

SAROYA
09-09-2016, 11:32 PM
I think the definition of gambling has been assigned irrelevant of whether it is gambling or not - the fear of gambling is to say that it was applied due to the potential for gambling. With regard to chess, most of the scholars say that it is haraam to play it, whether that is for money or not. If it is played for money then it is indisputably gambling. Even if it is not played for money it is still gambling and haraam, according to most of the scholars… al-Nawawi (may Allaah have mercy on him) was asked about playing chess, is it forbidden or permissible? He (may Allaah have mercy on him) replied that if it makes a person miss praying on time or he plays for money, then it is haraam, otherwise it is makrooh according to al-Shaafa’i and haraam according to others…

Huzaifah ibn Adam
09-09-2016, 11:32 PM
In this world, there are two kinds of people:

1) A person who does research and looks at facts. Thereafter, he makes his conclusion.

2) A person who makes a conclusion, and then hunts for facts he can twist to try and fit that conclusion.

We can't help the second kind of person.

SAROYA
09-09-2016, 11:37 PM
I'm sorry - it's your own source that says the following. Perhaps you should reply to the direct question here, instead of declaring inability.

Al-Dhahabi (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: “With regard to chess, most of the scholars say that it is haraam to play it, whether that is for money or not. If it is played for money then it is indisputably gambling. Even if it is not played for money it is still gambling and haraam, according to most of the scholars… al-Nawawi (may Allaah have mercy on him) was asked about playing chess, is it forbidden or permissible? He (may Allaah have mercy on him) replied that if it makes a person miss praying on time or he plays for money, then it is haraam, otherwise it is makrooh according to al-Shaafa’i and haraam according to others…” (al-Kabaa’ir, 89-90).

In this world, there are two kinds of people:

1) A person who does research and looks at facts. Thereafter, he makes his conclusion.

2) A person who makes a conclusion, and then hunts for facts he can twist to try and fit that conclusion.

We can't help the second kind of person.

Regrets1
09-09-2016, 11:47 PM
Brother Huzaifah Ibn Adam..is it permissible to play Ludo or not?

Nisthar
09-10-2016, 05:43 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by M.I.A.
the good old days...

...emmmm.. That's what old people say.. probably.

had a c64 myself..

blows into tape cassette.. winds it with finger..

listens to "original modem noise (tm)" for ages..

yep, them were the days.

stay in school kids.
format_quote Originally Posted by Akhi_Umar

I think it's best to avoid it if that is the case.

In addition to this, it's also a waste of time and sometimes one might get preoccupied in playing the game and then end up praying his salah later on or even missing it. Unless one can discipline himself in a way were he can pray everything on time, I don't see why we should be playing such games. Besides, even if one can it's still a waste of time. You could be doing something more productive religiously speaking.
format_quote Originally Posted by Little_Lion
LOAD"*",8,1

I'm old.
..jab, jab, forward, light kick, heavy punch..

although its been a while.
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto
But not every video game is good, bro. There are many video games that teach violence. So we have to be wise in choosing the game for us and our children.
...why can't you play skyrim like...normal people.

format_quote Originally Posted by LaSorcia
I can't answer to what is officially halal or haram, being a Christian. But I avoid games that glorify evil or evil beings. Also, if your conscience is giving you true qualms, perhaps you should find a nicer game?
format_quote Originally Posted by Zafran
salaam

It has a lot of false things - you can teleport, possesses people or slow time down - Its all fictional, its meant to be game and not a Manuel to live your life. I'm not sure if you live in a restrictive place but this shouldn't be problem.

peace
format_quote Originally Posted by SAROYA
Would you like to know another game that's prohibited. Chess. In Saudi Arabia to play chess is to commit sacrilege. Would you like to know why? Because there is a belief that the game can be gambled upon. I am avid chess player. There is a massive chess community worldwide. You may have heard about Grand Master such as Bobby Fischer or Magnus Carlson. None of them play to gamble. Chess is not a game of chance in any way whatsoever - yet the Saudi Fatwa declarers fail to see that.
The point here is that because there's some overweight dude who thinks you'll start worshiping the God like character of the game doesn't mean you will. Just because they are concerned about your ability to separate reality from fiction does not mean you should be.

On a side note, throught the Muslim world Goerge Orwell's book Animal Farm has been prohibited. The book described the rise of the totalitarian, supposedly communist, state in Soviet Russia under Lenin. It did this using the metaphor of Animals (the poor in Russia) removing their Human Owners (the elite in Russia who were exploiting their peasant workers). Now, there is little doubt (many studies have demonstrated this) to the Pig being one of the most clever of Farm animals, and so the narrative involved the pigs leading the revolt against the farmer. What happens after this revolution is that you discover that the leaders of that very revolution soon after become just like the animal's previous Human Owners, in that they exploit their subordinates. This is what happened in Russia with Lenin. Orwell portrayed the Pigs as being cruel, careless characters - who, despite the promises they made before the revolution, became exactly like the Human farm animal owners. This novel gave people a wonderful insight as to exactly what happened in Soviet Union. It is world proclaimed. No-one gives a damn about the fact that the main character being a Pig, that's NOT the point. Yet so many Muslims fail to read this historic literary masterpiece, a extremely educational piece, simply because there is a character of a Pig in there.
Yes, you are right.

But its not because there is a chance to worship the charactors in the games. There will not be a chance for it. But i just need to make sure if its haram or halal in islam.

Nisthar
09-10-2016, 05:45 AM
But being a fictional story, i think its not a major sin to play it.

Huzaifah ibn Adam
09-18-2016, 01:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Regrets1
Brother Huzaifah Ibn Adam..is it permissible to play Ludo or not?
See the following Fatwaa, sister:

http://islamqa.org/hanafi/muftionline/94988

Huzaifah ibn Adam
09-18-2016, 01:45 PM
This is a good Fatwaa on the issue as well:

https://islamqa.info/en/22305

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.