/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Is watching movies and TV haram?

Mustafa16
09-11-2016, 08:07 PM
Due to the poor morals, not lowering one's gaze, wasting time, etc.? what about cartoons, like spongebob (which I still watch to this day).....are they haram because of music?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Reminder
09-11-2016, 11:02 PM
Impossible to live life without commuting sin. With hat said, we hear enough music as it is while at the grocery store, haircut, restaurant, etc. Also the prophet (saw) covered his ears when someone was playing a flute.

jabeady
09-11-2016, 11:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Reminder
Also the prophet (saw) covered his ears when someone was playing a flute.
Maybe if he'd been listening to a better flute player...?

Just a thought.

greenhill
09-12-2016, 05:43 AM
I am not sure with regards to haram in this context....

We have to look at the reason for this belief. I reckon it is the wasteful nature due to the limited time we have on earth. The time could be spent on dzikir etc instead of wasting time on things offering no benefit to us for the hereafter.

:peace:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Reminder
09-12-2016, 01:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by jabeady
Maybe if he'd been listening to a better flute player...?

Just a thought.
Maybe you think too much?

Just something to ponder.

talibilm
09-12-2016, 02:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mustafa16
Due to the poor morals, not lowering one's gaze, wasting time, etc.? what about cartoons, like spongebob (which I still watch to this day).....are they haram because of music?
:sl:

Music any where any how is haram except the Daf which Prophet :saws: did not object when he was welcomed by the Singers in Medina.

verses like this

Say, "Observe what is in the heavens and earth." But of no avail will be signs or warners to a people who do not believe ''

''....................So have they not traveled through the earth and observed how was the end of those before them? ............''

imply (imo)watching such programmes like Astronomy, Nature Animal kingdom, Calamities, self defence and all that is true (not fiction or Cinema or haram ) that prove us the greatness of Allah could be viewed provided that do not deter you from Salah or remembrance of Allah .

This is my opinion from my own Qiyas but a Mufti's fatwa will be the better to follow.

فصيح الياسين
09-24-2016, 08:04 PM
Complex and easy.. all in my mind ... cant tell....

cinnamonrolls1
02-15-2018, 08:13 PM
Depends what you'rw watching.

azc
02-19-2018, 07:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mustafa16
It is better to abstain from watching TV, then being it haram or permitted not be needed to ask.

ahmed.younes
02-20-2018, 03:19 AM
Even cartoons like spongebob tend to have subliminal messages which plays with the audiences subconscious mind. And usually these shows promote poor morals in within itself. Whether it's a girl in a bikini, or its violence. It is best to avoid anything that is un-islamic, because we are already being attacked by propagated kufr ideologies from every direction in our daily lives...

Reading Quran is a much better option.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.