/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Donald Trump's basked of deplorable supporters

kritikvernunft
09-13-2016, 05:58 AM
"You know, to just be grossly generalistic, you could put half of Trump's supporters into what I call the basket of deplorables," Clinton said to laughter from the "LGBT for Hillary" crowd. "The racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, Islamophobic — you name it."

I think that religion agrees that the following behaviours are indeed deplorable: racist, xenophobic, and Islamophobic.

• racist: hatred of other races
  • xenophobic: hatred/fear of foreigners
  • Islamophobic: hatred/fear of Muslims

Concerning homophobic and sexist, it really depends on what you understand under these terms:

• homophobic: disapproval of homosexual behaviour is inextricably part of religion. I do not believe that any believer would want to change this position. However, meaningless attacks against these people, beyond what religion says about it, is obviously not particularly commendable. They should at all times get the opportunity to change their ways.
  • sexist: religion recognizes the distinct roles of men and women. That is not the same as misogyny.

In my impression, there is some truth to Clinton's position that half of Trump's supporters are racist, xenophobic, and Islamophobic. In fact, Donald Trump is himself most likely not racist, xenophobic or Islamophic, but he certainly has a penchant for catering to the bigotry of his supporters, simply by being silent about it, and by never condemning it. Donald Trump perfectly knows what the problem is, but he prefers to shut up, because he can garner their support with his hypocrisy. Donald Trump tries to win the presidency by being insincere and outright hypocritical.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Snel
12-26-2016, 01:02 AM
I can agree that racism, xenophobia and islamophobia are common traits of his followers. However, I don't know about homophobia. You have for example individuals like Milo Yiannopoulos. He is very important to the alt-right movement, and he is not only a supporter of homosexual rights, but is a homosexual himself! Under the same banner you have people who hate him, because Milo also happens to be a jew. Trump managed by at least being silent to racism, xenophobia and islamophobia become elected as US president.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.