/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Do not help homeless people

Reminder
09-16-2016, 03:28 AM
on the street.

Salam alaikum,

I spoke with a "homeless" guy in costume walking through a busy intersection and he told me he makes $50/hour.

Proof

1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSewCBL4_GQ
2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xN6ky60lqr0
3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOGUNSeH13M
4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6niruOvpy1E

Only the ones sleeping at night are real.

Donate to reputable charities which you can find here: http://www.CharityNavigator.org

Thank you for reading and have a great day.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
jabeady
09-16-2016, 03:34 AM
There are plenty of stories like this. "Poverty" would seem to be a good career move. Locally, a "homeless" woman was caught climbing into her Cadillac after a hard day begging on a street corner.

Reminder
09-16-2016, 03:57 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by jabeady
There are plenty of stories like this. "Poverty" would seem to be a good career move. Locally, a "homeless" woman was caught climbing into her Cadillac after a hard day begging on a street corner.
Yes. It is quite easy to spot them if you know how, actually. The most simple indicator if you see their hair is "rich" brown, with a slight yellow/gold tinge, it is a clear indicator this person is actually in costume and not homeless. Also they may have a tiny bit of dirt on them and if you look closely at their clothes they are not "normal" poor clothes, but slightly exaggerated.

See: https://i.ytimg.com/vi/xN6ky60lqr0/maxresdefault.jpg hair is a dead giveaway

Bosanac
09-16-2016, 06:14 AM
This is why if I do give something to a homeless person it's usually a sandwich or other food.

If they are pretending and taking advantage of people that's on them. They'll answer for that one day.

And while I do get what you mean that donating through mosques is possibly more trustworthy, I personally have grown way too sceptical of organizations collecting donations. Heard way too many stories of people within them stealing, or redirecting funds to other places and people and not mentioning it to people who donate.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Eric H
09-16-2016, 06:35 AM
Greetings and peace be with you Reminder;

Just a thought, the majority of people who pay rent or are paying for their house, are only ever three months away from being homeless. If you have an illness, accident, loose your job, if your relationship breaks down, and you get behind with your payments, there is a good chance you can end up homeless.

Our local night shelter took in 123 people last year, sadly they turned away 430, because they do not have enough rooms. They will also turn people away if they suspect drugs or alcohol.

If you wonder the streets after midnight, you can se how homeless people live, they sleep in multi storey car parks, railway stations, car ports, I see real poverty. They often live in fear of sleeping at night, they can be beaten up, it's cold and wet, homeless people are often very tired. I try and help homeless people, our Street Pastor teams have played a role in helping four find accommodations, I receive thanks through facebook, from a girl we helped off the streets, she is now at university. Last month we received a letter from a woman who had been homeless for a number of years, she thanked us and has asked if we can help her find her children.

In the spirit of praying for justice for all people.

Eric

Search
09-16-2016, 06:56 AM
:bism: (In the Name of God, the Most Beneficent, the Most Merciful)

:sl: (Peace be upon you)

We should all give to homeless people whenever we can and not be concerned about whether they are "deserving" or not. And the reason is based in Islam itself as per the words of Prophet :saws: (peace and blessings be upon him) as he'd said the following:

“A man (from amongst the people before you) said: ‘Indeed! I will give in charity.’

So he took his charity out and (unknowingly) placed it in the hand of a thief.

In the morning people talked (about this incident) and said: ‘Charity was given to a thief last night.’

The man said: ‘O God! Praise be to You. I have given charity to a thief. Indeed, I will give in charity!’

So he took his charity out and he placed it (unknowingly) in a prostitute's hand.

In the morning people talked (about this incident) and said: ‘Charity was given to a prostitute last night.’

On hearing this, the man said: ‘Praise be to You, O God! I gave charity to a prostitute. Indeed, I will give in charity!’

So he took his charity out and placed it in a rich man's hand.

In the morning people talked (about this incident) and said: ‘Charity was given to a rich man last night.’

The man said: ‘O God! Praise be to You (for helping me) give charity to a thief, a prostitute and a rich man.’

Then he had a dream in which he was told that his charity to the thief might result in his refraining from his theft, his charity to the prostitute might help her abstain from her immorality, and his charity to the rich man might help remind him and [motivate him to] spend from what God had bestowed upon him.” (Sahih Bukhari.)

What we learn from this hadith (prophetic tradition) is that if the intention of the person giving something in charity is good, it will be accepted and rewarded by Allah (God) Subhana wa Ta’ala (Glorified and Exalted is God) even though it may have been given to ostensibly an “undeserving” person. This shows God’s generosity towards us and His love for us. Though one can expend thought into having one’s charity reach deserving, pious people, one shouldn't worry about where the charity is ultimately going as all charity is actually given to be God to be taken care of as a matter of God and we should treat the matter as such.

:wa: (And peace be upon you)

noraina
09-16-2016, 10:14 AM
Wa alaykum assalam,

I can see where you are coming from, ukhti, but also an important part of Islam is 'husn udh-dhan' (I hope I've spelt it correctly, lol), that is, a good opinion of others. And a part of that would be avoiding unnescessary suspicion, because only Allah swt knows what is truly in the heart.

It's true, it may be that someone you see asking for alms or charity is not truly deserving of them, but what could be equally likely is that they are in desperate need of whatever we have to give them, and I think it would be so unfortunate if because of a suspicion we failed to help someone in need (for ourselves as much as them).

And actions are rewarded by their intentions. So if we intend to help someone, we will be rewarded for that intention inshaAllah.

Basically what sister Search so beautifully put :).

M.I.A.
09-16-2016, 11:06 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Reminder
on the street.

Salam alaikum,

I spoke with a "homeless" guy in costume walking through a busy intersection and he told me he makes $50/hour.

If you want to give to help the homeless, donate at your Mosque or to a reputable charity online instead.
agreed, I know a homeless guy who I give a few things to.

Sometimes he comes in with more money than I made during the day..

it's sad though because everytime I lecture him he looks at me as if he knows what he's doing..

over two years I'm sad to say that I have only seen him get worse.

although when they clean him up he could almost be a regular guy.

he has a.I.d.s. now.

and the first thing I say to homeless people I know is that I don't want to see then get any worse.

...I don't make anything from them getting worse.

Scimitar
09-16-2016, 11:41 AM
Give - in the name of Allah... say it - don't just give the money - say "in the name of Allah, this is Sadaqah", let the beggers hear that, it will make them "think" and "wonder" for a little while... even this is a form of dawah.

Scimi

M.I.A.
09-16-2016, 12:40 PM
...I thought that was what the Mosque asks for every eid?

3fiddy for every member of the family.

sister herb
09-16-2016, 12:46 PM
When someone asks help and says for example that he is hungry, give him food, not money. If he isn´t in real need, he usually says no if you offer to him something to eat, not just some cash.

If it´s possible, give to him also an address of some shelter or charity organization in your area.

Huzaifah ibn Adam
09-16-2016, 02:01 PM
Help whoever you can, with whatever you can. Even if it's just a little bit of food. Don't turn anyone away.

وأما السائل فلا تنهر

"As for the beggar, do not repulse him..." [Soorah adh-Dhuhaa.]

I knew a Bangladeshi shopkeeper who never used to turn anyone away who came to his shop to ask. He would give them something even if it was very little. That way, he never repulsed any beggar. Even if he just gave them a 50c, for example, he would give something.

If a person asks from you and you give him, and later on it turns out he was lying or just pretending, you will still get your full reward, In Shaa Allaah. Your duty is only to give. Your duty is not to try and find out what is in his heart. That isn't up to you. Allaah Ta`aalaa knows best who is truly needy.

Just give. Like we mentioned, even if it is something very little, but give something. Don't turn people away who ask from you. If you always give people who ask from you, then In Shaa Allaah whenever you make Du`aa, Allaah Ta`aalaa will give you. When you beg from Allaah Ta`aalaa, He will give you.

Also, remember that Rasoolullaah صلى الله عليه وسلم told us that Sadaqah (charity) does not decrease wealth. Whatever you give in Sadaqah, you will get your Thawaab in the Aakhirah, and in addition to that, Allaah Ta`aalaa will bless you in your wealth in this Dunyaa and give you an increase in your Rizq, In Shaa Allaah.

Also, Sadaqah (charity) extinguishes the Anger of Allaah Ta`aalaa. We are all sinners. We sin daily. When someone comes to ask from you, it is actually an opportunity Allaah Ta`aalaa is giving you for you to gain Maghfirah (forgiveness) for some of the sins you have committed, as well as to attain Thawaab (reward).

When Sahaabah-e-Kiraam used to get sick, they would give in Sadaqah (charity), because by doing so, Allaah Ta`aalaa cures you of your illnesses.

Look at all the benefits we get from giving in Sadaqah:

1. Forgiveness from Allaah Ta`aalaa
  2. Sadaqah extinguishes the Anger of Allaah Ta`aalaa
  3. Immense Thawaab for everything given, even if it be very little
  4. Relief from hardships and difficulties
  5. Shifaa (cure) from illnesses
  6. Du`aas are answered more readily by Allaah Ta`aalaa
  7. Increase in Rizq and Barakah in your earnings
  8. Acting upon the Command of Allaah Ta`aalaa to not repulse people who ask

If you know for a fact that a certain person is only pretending to be poor but is actually rich, then of course you do not give for this person. What we mean is that, do not assume that a person asking is actually not in need. Have Husn-uzh-Zhann (good thoughts) about people. Give, because even if it turns out they were actually faking and you didn't know about it, you will still get your Thawaab (reward) In Shaa Allaah.

500yardsoffo
09-16-2016, 02:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Huzaifah ibn Adam
Help whoever you can, with whatever you can. Even if it's just a little bit of food. Don't turn anyone away.

وأما السائل فلا تنهر

"As for the beggar, do not repulse him..." [Soorah adh-Dhuhaa.]

I knew a Bangladeshi shopkeeper who never used to turn anyone away who came to his shop to ask. He would give them something even if it was very little. That way, he never repulsed any beggar. Even if he just gave them a 50c, for example, he would give something.

If a person asks from you and you give him, and later on it turns out he was lying or just pretending, you will still get your full reward, In Shaa Allaah. Your duty is only to give. Your duty is not to try and find out what is in his heart. That isn't up to you. Allaah Ta`aalaa knows best who is truly needy.

Just give. Like we mentioned, even if it is something very little, but give something. Don't turn people away who ask from you. If you always give people who ask from you, then In Shaa Allaah whenever you make Du`aa, Allaah Ta`aalaa will give you. When you beg from Allaah Ta`aalaa, He will give you.

Also, remember that Rasoolullaah صلى الله عليه وسلم told us that Sadaqah (charity) does not decrease wealth. Whatever you give in Sadaqah, you will get your Thawaab in the Aakhirah, and in addition to that, Allaah Ta`aalaa will bless you in your wealth in this Dunyaa and give you an increase in your Rizq, In Shaa Allaah.

Also, Sadaqah (charity) extinguishes the Anger of Allaah Ta`aalaa. We are all sinners. We sin daily. When someone comes to ask from you, it is actually an opportunity Allaah Ta`aalaa is giving you for you to gain Maghfirah (forgiveness) for some of the sins you have committed, as well as to attain Thawaab (reward).

When Sahaabah-e-Kiraam used to get sick, they would give in Sadaqah (charity), because by doing so, Allaah Ta`aalaa cures you of your illnesses.

Look at all the benefits we get from giving in Sadaqah:

1. Forgiveness from Allaah Ta`aalaa
  2. Sadaqah extinguishes the Anger of Allaah Ta`aalaa
  3. Immense Thawaab for everything given, even if it be very little
  4. Relief from hardships and difficulties
  5. Shifaa (cure) from illnesses
  6. Du`aas are answered more readily by Allaah Ta`aalaa
  7. Increase in Rizq and Barakah in your earnings
  8. Acting upon the Command of Allaah Ta`aalaa to not repulse people who ask

If you know for a fact that a certain person is only pretending to be poor but is actually rich, then of course you do not give for this person. What we mean is that, do not assume that a person asking is actually not in need. Have Husn-uzh-Zhann (good thoughts) about people. Give, because even if it turns out they were actually faking and you didn't know about it, you will still get your Thawaab (reward) In Shaa Allaah.
Bro can you plz answer my recent threads? [emoji14]

Scimitar
09-16-2016, 02:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by M.I.A.
...I thought that was what the Mosque asks for every eid?

3fiddy for every member of the family.
Masjids ask for "lillah" for the upkeep of the masjid and have a collection for sadaqah also, which is distributed to the poor - each masjid sends this money to where it thinks it is best given - that could be locality or in some remote corner of the planet.

However, in Islam - charity begins at home - meaning, your locality. Your relatives and your neighbours, and your companions and also the people in your community - and I do not mean just Muslims.

I mean people - regular people.

Even a smile, can be charity - Prophet Muhammad pbuh

Scimi

M.I.A.
09-16-2016, 03:06 PM
..I guess some people will never be successful.

Scimitar
09-16-2016, 03:49 PM
the very word "success" is subjective, bro

Scimi

Eric H
09-16-2016, 03:59 PM
Greetings and peace be with you Scimitar;
Give - in the name of Allah... say it - don't just give the money - say "in the name of Allah, this is Sadaqah", let the beggers hear that, it will make them "think" and "wonder" for a little while... even this is a form of dawah.
We helped a homeless lady one night with some food and cigarettes, she asked if she could pray for us, and that was truly a humbling experience. She asked us what the date was, and we said New Years Eve, and as she started to pray for us, the fireworks went off, she prayed us out of the old year and into the New Year.

We met a man who had been homeless for several years, he said when he found somewhere to sleep at night, he thanked God for all the good things that happened that day. To listen to a man who carried his home in a bag find ways to thank God, again was a truly humbling experience.

I met a homeless man who said, he has no worries, God loves him.

If you take the chance to talk and listen to homeless people, you may well be surprised at how they can bless you.

Eric

M.I.A.
09-16-2016, 04:13 PM
..I doubt it..

there are days I wish I could close the doors on this world.

their keeper is nothing but malicious.

it is a testament to the power of God swt.. that we could walk the same earth and meet the same people..

and yet have entirely different experiences.

I've seen men move from their paths just to block mine..

been here too long.

...I don't live here.

Scimitar
09-16-2016, 04:18 PM
..I doubt it..

it is a testament to the power of God swt.. that we could walk the same earth and meet the same people..

been here too long.

...I don't live here.
to even call such an existence "living" is a misnomer - don't share opinions that are likely to change, you stil have years to grow in sha Allah.

Better to read and acquire the knowledge than to "opine" bro.

Scimi

Scimitar
09-16-2016, 04:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Eric H
Greetings and peace be with you Scimitar;

We helped a homeless lady one night with some food and cigarettes, she asked if she could pray for us, and that was truly a humbling experience. She asked us what the date was, and we said New Years Eve, and as she started to pray for us, the fireworks went off, she prayed us out of the old year and into the New Year.

We met a man who had been homeless for several years, he said when he found somewhere to sleep at night, he thanked God for all the good things that happened that day. To listen to a man who carried his home in a bag find ways to thank God, again was a truly humbling experience.

I met a homeless man who said, he has no worries, God loves him.

If you take the chance to talk and listen to homeless people, you may well be surprised at how they can bless you.

Eric
Beautiful.

I saw a video recently that bought a tear to my eyes.

I'll share it:

plenty like this on youtube... kinda showing off but still - the homeless man, his reaction - just look at his reaction.

Humbling.

:love:

Scimi

M.I.A.
09-16-2016, 04:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Scimitar
to even call such an existence "living" is a misnomer - don't share opinions that are likely to change, you stil have years to grow in sha Allah.

Better to read and acquire the knowledge than to "opine" bro.

Scimi
I would agree, some sort of purgatory? with no assurance of anything better..

is not an accurate definition of purgatory.

but you might as well know how it felt like.. in case I ever find something better.

at the moment it's just little pieces of my soul and humanity that they try and slip away.

with little in return..

what happens if I don't play along? is it entirely unreasonable?

maybe one day I will break this place..

and the 4th wall along with it.

more likely the doors close and some peace is finally achieved

Serinity
09-16-2016, 04:51 PM
:salam:

I'd love to give in Charity, so that I may have this trial off my back. Have Allah love me, show me the gems. In the face of Injustice, the best way to do dawah is by action and example.

we should never underestimate a word we say.

Allahu alam.

M.I.A.
09-16-2016, 05:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Serinity
:salam:

I'd love to give in Charity, so that I may have this trial off my back. Have Allah love me, show me the gems. In the face of Injustice, the best way to do dawah is by action and example.

we should never underestimate a word we say.

Allahu alam.
and give zakat so that your belongings are not a burden upon you..

loosely paraphrased.

ardianto
09-16-2016, 05:10 PM
:sl:

In my place, beggars usually are not homeless, while homeless usually are not beggars. Those homeless do not beg, although if someone give them money or food they will receive it with grateful. They feed themselves by collecting bottle, plastic, and cartoon box to be sold to the recycle goods terminal.

Here, a photo that taken in Garut, West Java. A homeless man performed salah outside Garut city mosque.

He did not enter the mosque because his clothes was too dirty. But his condition did not prevent him to always close with Allah, to be grateful for what Allah has given to him.

Now lets we ask ourselves. We have home, we have good clean clothes, we have enough foods. But how often we grateful for what Allah has given to us?.

Scimitar
09-16-2016, 05:29 PM
humbling

M.I.A.
09-16-2016, 05:45 PM
...I could pray next to him.

although everybody wants something.

...the world is all take and no give.

subhanAllah

we all have to write our tomorrow's on something.. or somebody.

a house is not a home.

Reminder
09-16-2016, 08:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Search

We should all give to homeless people whenever we can and not be concerned about whether they are "deserving" or not. And the reason is based in Islam itself as per the words of Prophet :saws: (peace and blessings be upon him) as he'd said the following:

“A man (from amongst the people before you) said: ‘Indeed! I will give in charity.’

So he took his charity out and (unknowingly) placed it in the hand of a thief.

In the morning people talked (about this incident) and said: ‘Charity was given to a thief last night.’

The man said: ‘O God! Praise be to You. I have given charity to a thief. Indeed, I will give in charity!’

So he took his charity out and he placed it (unknowingly) in a prostitute's hand.

In the morning people talked (about this incident) and said: ‘Charity was given to a prostitute last night.’

On hearing this, the man said: ‘Praise be to You, O God! I gave charity to a prostitute. Indeed, I will give in charity!’

So he took his charity out and placed it in a rich man's hand.

In the morning people talked (about this incident) and said: ‘Charity was given to a rich man last night.’

The man said: ‘O God! Praise be to You (for helping me) give charity to a thief, a prostitute and a rich man.’

Then he had a dream in which he was told that his charity to the thief might result in his refraining from his theft, his charity to the prostitute might help her abstain from her immorality, and his charity to the rich man might help remind him and [motivate him to] spend from what God had bestowed upon him.” (Sahih Bukhari.)

What we learn from this hadith (prophetic tradition) is that if the intention of the person giving something in charity is good, it will be accepted and rewarded by Allah (God) Subhana wa Ta’ala (Glorified and Exalted is God) even though it may have been given to ostensibly an “undeserving” person. This shows God’s generosity towards us and His love for us. Though one can expend thought into having one’s charity reach deserving, pious people, one shouldn't worry about where the charity is ultimately going as all charity is actually given to be God to be taken care of as a matter of God and we should treat the matter as such.

However, is there such benefit in knowingly giving to thieves, prostitutes, rich people, etc.?

There is a whole INDUSTRY of fake homeless people. I am not just making this up. Do a simple Google Search.

See: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSewCBL4_GQ

Anyway, it is scientifically proven that over 80% of money given to real homeless people is spent on alcohol and drugs.

The hadith above isn't wrong, just your interpretation.

I know this in my heart, but if you can't see it that's fine. It is your loss, not mine.

Huzaifah ibn Adam
09-16-2016, 09:25 PM
Why not give to both? The poor people who ask from you as well as donating to reliable charity organisations.

Giving to poor people yourself - especially in the form of actually going to where they live and bringing them some money, groceries, etc - has an additional benefit: it softens the heart (you, as the giver); it is a humbling experience; it makes you more appreciative of what you have, and the people you are giving to (if they are Muslims) will make Du`aa for you as well. This benefit is not found in simply donating to charity organisations. For this reason, I would advise that people do both.

Search
09-16-2016, 11:48 PM

Brother Hufaizah, Subhanallah (All Praise is to Allah), thank you for all your awesome posts in this thread, especially the first one! :) Masha-Allah (as God willed) so beneficial and a great reminder. Barkallahu feek (may Allah bless you).

[...]

Search
09-16-2016, 11:56 PM

Well, I like to hide my good deeds just as another person in this dunya (world) likes to hide his/her bad deeds. When I do something, if I'm doing it sincerely for Allah, I don't even let my shadow to know what I'm doing. :)

So, that would not be possible.

That said, you should donate wherever you feel comfortable about donating; however, that said, I do second brother Hufaizah's wonderful posts in this thread; he's given great and beneficial reminders to all of us. The spirit in Islam is always to give, not to check anyone's intentions or background.

Next time you give to someone on the street, message me here.

I will donate an equal amount to Palestine: http://www.islamicboard.com/general/...ef-canada.html

We will see which one Allah (SWT) appreciates more on Judgement Day. :)

Reminder
09-17-2016, 01:01 AM
Why not give to both? The poor people who ask from you as well as donating to reliable charity organisations.

Giving to poor people yourself - especially in the form of actually going to where they live and bringing them some money, groceries, etc - has an additional benefit: it softens the heart (you, as the giver); it is a humbling experience; it makes you more appreciative of what you have, and the people you are giving to (if they are Muslims) will make Du`aa for you as well. This benefit is not found in simply donating to charity organisations. For this reason, I would advise that people do both.
It is scientifically proven that over 80% of money given to homeless on the street is used to buy alcohol and drugs. The rest of them are fake and probably have more money than you. Now you have been warned. If that is where you want your money to go, so be it.

M.I.A.
09-17-2016, 01:34 AM
ok quick question...

we're historic homeless people of better character or less inclined to be alcoholics/drug abusers?

Reminder
09-17-2016, 02:26 AM
ok quick question...

we're historic homeless people of better character or less inclined to be alcoholics/drug abusers?
You would think back in the day there would be less alchol produced in Islamic regions therefore the homeless would most liley have just been poor.

As for these days, it has been proven through research that most money given the the homeless (real ones) goes to alcohol and drugs. A simple Google Search will clarify this for you. Don't take my word for it.

This is why I created this thread. I strongly urge you to find reputable charities and donate to them instead of handing your hard earned dollars to someone when it will most likely go towards haram stuff. If you want to help, buy them an unopened snack. If you buy food they will often reject it.

Eric H
09-17-2016, 06:18 AM

As for these days, it has been proven through research that most money given the the homeless (real ones) goes to alcohol and drugs. A simple Google Search will clarify this for you. Don't take my word for it.
The trouble with Google is, it cannot tell you about the circumstances of the next homeless person you meet. I cannot imagine what it would be like to be evicted from my home. When people have been homeless for a while, they become depressed and they suffer, without an address it is difficult to walk into a doctors and get treatment in the UK. Sadly, they can turn to smoking, drinking or drugs, to get them through the day.

Many of the homeless people I meet smoke, and as much as I am against smoking, I have brought them tobacco. I smoked for a number of years, I remember how difficult it was to stop, I have no right to lecture them on the dangers of smoking.

The question is, if I were in their shoes, how would I like to be treated?

We can pray for them, but it is not enough just to pray and put the problem in God's hands, it would be good to do something practical too and pray that our efforts will bring blessings.

In the spirit of praying for justice and compassion.

Eric

Reminder
09-17-2016, 06:58 AM

The trouble with Google is, it cannot tell you about the circumstances of the next homeless person you meet. I cannot imagine what it would be like to be evicted from my home. When people have been homeless for a while, they become depressed and they suffer, without an address it is difficult to walk into a doctors and get treatment in the UK. Sadly, they can turn to smoking, drinking or drugs, to get them through the day.

Many of the homeless people I meet smoke, and as much as I am against smoking, I have brought them tobacco. I smoked for a number of years, I remember how difficult it was to stop, I have no right to lecture them on the dangers of smoking.

The question is, if I were in their shoes, how would I like to be treated?

We can pray for them, but it is not enough just to pray and put the problem in God's hands, it would be good to do something practical too and pray that our efforts will bring blessings.

In the spirit of praying for justice and compassion.

Eric
I was homeless. We still disagree.

I am not going to continue with this subject.

You have your way and I will have mine.

kritikvernunft
09-17-2016, 06:59 AM
I am quite ok to give to the poor. I am wary, however, of actually just being duped into funding someone's drugs -or alcohol habits. I have noticed that there is a lot of that going on amongst the poor and the destitute, especially in rich countries. I also often wonder: where are their family and relatives? Not all of them are orphans, are they? We may not be the easiest personalities in my own family, but we would not let each other sleep in the streets either. That's why I often think: What exactly are we encouraging here by funding these situations?

A few months ago, I took in a 25-year old homeless Jew from New York with his local girlfriend and let them use our top floor, where we leave our clothes to dry. He had a well-groomed, well-educated upper middle-class accent. He could have dinner with us, whenever he wanted. He came from a millionaire family of Hungarian Jews who had moved to America. However, he said that his parents would never send him one, single cent. His grandfather would help him, but he is over 90 now and suffers from dementia. I somehow think that he had misbehaved towards his parents, and that this is the reason why they had written him off. Not sure, though. That loose cannon of a local girlfriend of his, was the first one to leave. Maybe it is also true that my wife's relatives, also locals, looked down on her quite a bit. I had told them not to do that, but apparently they still did. The locals are merciless on that kind of matters. They really see each other as undesirable competition. Not long after that, he also left. The last time that I saw them, they were both living in the streets again.

Eric H
09-17-2016, 10:32 AM
Greetings and peace be with you kritikvernunft;

I also often wonder: where are their family and relatives? Not all of them are orphans, are they?
Sadly in the UK, by the time a child reaches 15, about half of them are not living with both their biological parents. In our small town, we have about 150 sofa surfers, mostly youngsters who have been kicked out of their home for all kinds of reasons, often it can be the new partner does not like them. These kids go from one friend to another, then eventually some of them end up on the streets, the meaning of marriage and family seems to be constantly eroding.

We may not be the easiest personalities in my own family, but we would not let each other sleep in the streets either.
Same here, I would not allow any of my family to be homeless, no matter how we do not get on. Like you we have taken in numerous people over the years. We recently had a drug dealer out from prison live with us for six months, we did lay down a few rules, like no drugs or you are out. He seems to have sorted himself out and has a regular job now, but time will tell.

blessings

Eric

Born_Believer
09-17-2016, 10:55 AM
well if one is living in a social welfare state, such as the UK (for now) and most of Europe, then I agree, we shouldn't give money to the homeless. There is a reason they haven't signed up for council housing.

Having said that, it is important to remember that we can't paint everyone with the same brush and that not all of them are scam artists/drug addicts/alcoholics etc.

I'll give a personal example:

I was collecting some money for a few charities (mostly medical charities) on the London underground and most people turned away from me until this disheveled woman sort of limped over to where I was talking to a couple of people. She asked me what I was doing and I explained it to her and she took some money out of her own pot and even as I protested, she put it into my bucket.

Just leave you all with that.

Huzaifah ibn Adam
09-17-2016, 02:01 PM
It is scientifically proven that over 80% of money given to homeless on the street is used to buy alcohol and drugs. The rest of them are fake and probably have more money than you. Now you have been warned. If that is where you want your money to go, so be it.
Those scientists obviously haven't been to Africa. Poverty in Africa is quite a lot worse than any poverty you've seen or know of in places like UK, USA, etc.

Scimitar
09-17-2016, 02:10 PM
I didn't realise scientists were also working for the census reports :D

Scimi

Serinity
09-17-2016, 04:04 PM
However, is there such benefit in knowingly giving to thieves, prostitutes, rich people, etc.?

There is a whole INDUSTRY of fake homeless people. I am not just making this up. Do a simple Google Search.

See: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSewCBL4_GQ

Anyway, it is scientifically proven that over 80% of money given to real homeless people is spent on alcohol and drugs.

The hadith above isn't wrong, just your interpretation.

I know this in my heart, but if you can't see it that's fine. It is your loss, not mine.
I think it depends on intentions.

I may very well give money / donate money to a thief, prostitute or even rich people. It can serve as a dawah.

For the prostitute, you may save her from prostitution. For the rich, you may make him/her reflect, and rethink about what he uses his/her money for.

For the thief, it might make him stop stealing, or rethink.

And yes, there is benefit in giving to prostitutes, and rich people. Idk about thieves, but they may feel guilt, or by your dawah they may turn to Islam, and become Muslims. So with the prostitute and the rich.

I doubt the prostitute does prostitution because she likes it, and I find rich people chained by their money/not knowing what to do with it.

Thieves may be poor people who have despaired, or have not reflected. Dawah by giving him money, KNOWING he is a thief, may be excellent dawah.

So giving them money may stop them from their ways. In shaa' Allah.
It all depends on intentions.

Allahu alam.

M.I.A.
09-17-2016, 05:01 PM
You would think back in the day there would be less alchol produced in Islamic regions therefore the homeless would most liley have just been poor.

This is why I created this thread. I strongly urge you to find reputable charities and donate to them instead of handing your hard earned dollars to someone when it will most likely go towards haram stuff. If you want to help, buy them an unopened snack. If you buy food they will often reject it.
..not quite sure.

the religion was not established in a land of religious people.

I'm sure alcohol and gambling were a problem.

...things are never really black and white..

and getting over yourself takes a lot of determination, willpower and resilience.

and self help groups..

I'm glad you made it.

..I doubt it..

been here too long.

...I don't live here.
..I'm telling you that's how it is.

they display none of the characteristics or attributes I would liken to God.

and if they ever found a plate, they would eat you alive.

...I wouldn't mind but they only ever eat around you.

be warned.

and apparently no evil will touch them and nor shall they grieve..

remain steadfast.. and remember those that made the claims.

al-kafirun.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.