/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Racial Stereotypes

noraina
09-16-2016, 10:44 AM
Assalamu alaykum,

Something quite common these days is teasing people based on racial stereotypes, I've seen it on the internet and among friends as well.

I myself have been on the receiving end of a lot of jokes related to my Kashmiri ethnicity, and I know that if it wasn't a friend saying this to me I'd probably be deeply insulted and offended - although among friends it's somehow hilarious.

And yes there are Muslim stereotypes, not ignorant or prejudiced ones but ones people come out with for a laugh, to lightly tease their Muslim friends. They do borderline on sensitive and it can come across as brutal to an outsider.

And on another level, with someone of your own religion or race, you take those jokes to another level because it's an 'insider' thing and it's not half as offensive as someone else saying it. And if someone from outside that 'group' dared make a joke like that, they'd probably get a beating, lol. If that makes any sense.

I understand some people don't think it's as harmless as it seems. Could there be a negative side to teasing someone about their differences or ethnicity? It's a very grey area.

Would you joke to someone about their or your own ethnicity or race?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
greenhill
09-16-2016, 12:59 PM
I totally understand where you are coming from...

There is a thin line separating what would be considered an insult and what is a joke.

Hard to comment.

:peace:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.