/* */

PDA

View Full Version : I'm a new Muslim. Questions about the Holy Spirit (about Gabriel) I'm from USA

muslim153
09-16-2016, 06:34 PM
Grammatically in Arabic is "the holy spirit" rather "the spirit of the holy" (like meaning the slave of Allah-the spirit who is property of Allah)? So the holiness came from God and is rather an attribute of Allah? Rather holiness is attributed to Allah?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
muslim153
09-16-2016, 06:35 PM
Like saying "the spirit who is property of the one who is holy (the holy one Allah)"?

muslim153
09-16-2016, 06:42 PM
Are angels called spirits in Islam or just Gabriel? I'm white, i don't speak Arabic-so, I'm just trying to understand. I've studied the Bible in Hebrew and Greek. I'm just trying to understand all i can about the Holy Spirit in Islam. Ty. Salaam.

aaj
09-16-2016, 08:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by muslim153
Are angels called spirits in Islam or just Gabriel? I'm white, i don't speak Arabic-so, I'm just trying to understand. I've studied the Bible in Hebrew and Greek. I'm just trying to understand all i can about the Holy Spirit in Islam. Ty. Salaam.
only the archAngel Gabriel was given the title of the Holy Spirit.

see here: https://islamqa.info/en/14403

other angels you can read about here: https://islamqa.info/en/843

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
eesa the kiwi
09-17-2016, 05:40 AM
@Huzaifah ibn Adam

Huzaifah ibn Adam
09-17-2016, 01:51 PM
السلام عليكم ورحمة الله وبركاته

Respected sister,

Imaam as-Suyooti رحمة الله عليه says in "Jalaalayn", explaining the Aayah wherein "Rooh-ul-Qudus" (what people in English refer to as the "Holy Spirit") is mentioned:

وَأَيَّدْنَاهُ** قَوَّيْنَاهُ {بِرُوحِ الْقُدُس** مِنْ إضَافَة الْمَوْصُوف إلَى الصِّفَة أَيْ الرُّوح الْمُقَدَّسَة جِبْرِيل لِطَهَارَتِهِ يَسِير مَعَهُ حَيْثُ سَارَ

"And We aided him (i.e. Nabi `Eesaa عليه السلام) [strengthened him] with Rooh-ul-Qudus [attaching the qualified noun to the adjective/quality itself, meaning: Ar-Rooh Al-Muqaddasah (The Holy Spirit), and this is Jibreel, (and he is named this) on account of his purity. He travels with him (i.e. Nabi `Eesaa عليه السلام) wherever he goes (when he was on this Dunyaa).]" [Tafseer of Aayah 87 of Soorah al-Baqarah.]

So according to Imaam as-Suyooti رحمة الله عليه, the grammatical structure of this Aayah is not saying that Jibreel عليه السلام is the "Rooh" (spirit) of Al-Qudus; rather, it is saying he himself is the Rooh (spirit) that is al-Qudus (holy).

Is it clear?

بارك الله فيك

والسلام

Kiro
09-17-2016, 02:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Huzaifah ibn Adam
السلام عليكم ورحمة الله وبركاته

Respected sister,

Imaam as-Suyooti رحمة الله عليه says in "Jalaalayn", explaining the Aayah wherein "Rooh-ul-Qudus" (what people in English refer to as the "Holy Spirit") is mentioned:

وَأَيَّدْنَاهُ** قَوَّيْنَاهُ {بِرُوحِ الْقُدُس** مِنْ إضَافَة الْمَوْصُوف إلَى الصِّفَة أَيْ الرُّوح الْمُقَدَّسَة جِبْرِيل لِطَهَارَتِهِ يَسِير مَعَهُ حَيْثُ سَارَ

"And We aided him (i.e. Nabi `Eesaa عليه السلام) [strengthened him] with Rooh-ul-Qudus [attaching the qualified noun to the adjective/quality itself, meaning: Ar-Rooh Al-Muqaddasah (The Holy Spirit), and this is Jibreel, (and he is named this) on account of his purity. He travels with him (i.e. Nabi `Eesaa عليه السلام) wherever he goes (when he was on this Dunyaa).]" [Tafseer of Aayah 87 of Soorah al-Baqarah.]

So according to Imaam as-Suyooti رحمة الله عليه, the grammatical structure of this Aayah is not saying that Jibreel عليه السلام is the "Rooh" (spirit) of Al-Qudus; rather, it is saying he himself is the Rooh (spirit) that is al-Qudus (holy).

Is it clear?

بارك الله فيك

والسلام
If it is what I think the question is referring to

I think it is just a title of reverence just like how Allah calls Prophet Isa his spirit.

I heard this from Sheikh Omar Suleiman I think

Huzaifah ibn Adam
09-17-2016, 02:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Kiro
If it is what I think the question is referring to

I think it is just a title of reverence just like how Allah calls Prophet Isa his spirit.

I heard this from Sheikh Omar Suleiman I think
With regards to the title of Nabi `Eesaa عليه السلام, namely, "Roohullaah" (The Rooh of Allaah), what it means is that he is the Rooh chosen by Allaah Ta`aalaa over the Arwaah (plural of Rooh) of many from among the creation.

muslim153
09-26-2016, 05:55 PM
Ty everyone ty @huzaifa h ibn Adam

muslim153
09-26-2016, 05:58 PM
Grammatically
attaching the qualified noun to the adjective/quality itself, meaning: Ar-Rooh Al-Muqaddasah (The Holy Spirit), and this is Jibreel, (and he is named this) on account of his purity

Scimitar
09-26-2016, 06:25 PM
Yes, its not some white dove which appears, lays a deposit and then flies off... according to some Christian exegetes, this is what it is.

Scimi

muslim153
09-26-2016, 07:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Scimitar
Yes, its not some white dove which appears, lays a deposit and then flies off... according to some Christian exegetes, this is what it is.

Scimi
Haha ty. Yeah... Not a bird lol

muslim153
09-26-2016, 07:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Scimitar

Scimi
Yeah Christians seem oblivious about this concept...i wonder how the Jews understand it though...

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.