/* */

PDA

View Full Version : What is the ruling of islam on coding/programming as a career?

Nisthar
09-18-2016, 08:23 AM
Assalamu alaikum,

I spent most of my day infront of my pc. I am a self taught coder. So, i would like to know what is the ruling on coding/programming as a career?

Please share your experience.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
kritikvernunft
09-18-2016, 08:48 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Nisthar
Assalamu alaikum, I spent most of my day infront of my pc. I am a self taught coder. So, i would like to know what is the ruling on coding/programming as a career? Please share your experience.
My impression is that everything is permitted, unless it has been strictly forbidden in the scriptures. In and of itself I don't think that the scriptures forbid programming. They certainly do not mention anything of the like as being fundamentally haraam. But then again, programming is rarely a goal in itself. It is usually a tool to achieve some other goal. You could indeed be trying to achieve a goal with it, that is forbidden. But then again, if you are creating a program that could be used for both halal and haraam goals, in that case, the program should be considered halal, while it will be the responsibility of the user not to pursue haraam goals with your program.

Huzaifah ibn Adam
09-18-2016, 01:42 PM
وعليكم السلام ورحمة الله وبركاته

Programming is permissible in Islaam, and it is a skill which can be used for a lot of good.

fhmn63
09-18-2016, 02:31 PM
What makes you think Islam could have any rulings against it? Do you want to hack ?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Nisthar
09-18-2016, 02:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by fhmn63
What makes you think Islam could have any rulings against it? Do you want to hack ?
Because there would be a lot of time spending infront of the computer (which is common, nowadays). But i just want to make sure :)

Umm Abed
09-18-2016, 08:22 PM
Because there would be a lot of time spending infront of the computer (which is common, nowadays). But i just want to make sure :)
If thats your job then its fine, as long as you're not doing anything wrong.

Make sure you do take regular breaks from the computer.

Huzaifah ibn Adam
09-18-2016, 10:14 PM
Which programming languages do you know, Nisthar?

Nisthar
10-26-2016, 02:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Huzaifah ibn Adam
Which programming languages do you know, Nisthar?
I know C#, JAVA, PHP, Javascript, etc.
Most of the programming languages have almost same syntax. Only the way you do it differs :)

Huzaifah ibn Adam
10-26-2016, 04:12 PM
I know C#, JAVA, PHP, Javascript, etc.
Most of the programming languages have almost same syntax. Only the way you do it differs

That's true. Have you ever done PIC or Arduino programming?

Nisthar
10-26-2016, 04:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Huzaifah ibn Adam
That's true. Have you ever done PIC or Arduino programming?
Nope. Never did arduino or PIC.

I think it will cost me more time and also i am not sure if it benefits me.

Huzaifah ibn Adam
10-26-2016, 06:09 PM
Arduinos can be programmed using C or C++. I think C# should work as well. So you already have the coding knowledge that is required. All you need is the knowledge in electronics, and you'd be able to make lots of very good projects. Even basic robots and stuff like that. Drones, too. Cars which can be controlled using your smartphone (not toy cars, real cars). Etc. It has a lot of potential. It's a field that requires people who are creative. Good imaginations.

Hafiz Ikram
11-02-2016, 11:34 AM
Religiously there is nothing wrong with coding as a career as long as your earning is 'Halal'. It's perfectly alright.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.