/* */

PDA

View Full Version : I haven't read a book in so long!

noraina
09-19-2016, 04:32 PM
Assalamu alaykum,

I just realised I've been starving myself of good reading materials, the last couple of years were so busy with A-levels. With university and other things starting I won't get as much time to read, but I'm looking for something that'll make a good read now and then.

Do you have any recommendations? I don't mind fiction nor non-fiction, and any genre is good. I like the old British classics, and crime thrillers, and romantic novels if they're readable. Anything really.

I've heard a lot of things about the Time Traveller's Wife, is it that good?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Little_Lion
09-19-2016, 04:58 PM
Some books that I would recommend:

Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett. WARNING: pokes fun at Christianity. A very funny read, much like The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams. Another funny read.

The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood. Dystopian fiction about a patriarchal society.

The Life of Pi by Yann Martel. A story about a boy and a tiger lost at sea. As the book says, "This is a story that will make you believe in God."

The DaVinci Code by Dan Brown. Keeping in mind that it is FICTION it is still an excellent book.

The Ocean At The End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman. A shorter fiction read. Excellent.

Furiously Happy by Jenny Lawson. Non-fiction essays about mental illness. Hilarious.

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline. Best if you grew up in the 80's, if you are younger than that then a lot of the book will go over your head. Being made into a movie right now.

I'm sorry, but I have not read The Time Traveler's Wife, but you're making me want to go to the library because I've always wanted to read it.

Huzaifah ibn Adam
09-19-2016, 05:18 PM
If you're looking for fiction, Terry Pratchett's novels were okay. The Discworld series. He wrote over 100 novels in his time. As a writer, he was quite prolific.

Huzaifah ibn Adam
09-19-2016, 05:38 PM
His books were for the younger generation, though.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
noraina
09-19-2016, 06:16 PM
I just got the Forty Rules of Love by Elif Safak - can't wait to start it.

If you haven't read Wuthering Heights then do so, I've read that book at least six times now.

I'll try out all your suggestions inshaAllah.

Huzaifah ibn Adam
09-19-2016, 06:21 PM
Correction:

I meant, "If you're looking for fiction". I wrote "non-fiction" instead.

I'm getting old...

Little_Lion
09-19-2016, 06:24 PM
Terry Pratchett might have been for a "younger" generation, but his books are a great respite from university. I second this suggestion.

Scimitar
09-19-2016, 09:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Huzaifah ibn Adam
If you're looking for fiction, Terry Pratchett's novels were okay. The Discworld series. He wrote over 100 novels in his time. As a writer, he was quite prolific.
i noticed how after terry Pratchett died last year - the plethora of "flat earth" conspiracies to hit the web went viral...

... While he was alive, at least he contained all those flat earth shills firmly in his web of storytelling genius, in fact I'd go as far as saying he had woven those flat earthers into the very fabric of his carpet world

I know, I know, I'll stop - but it's all true

Scimi

Scimitar
09-19-2016, 09:33 PM
Personally, I love Dickens... I nod to his use of simple language and his delightfully fascinating stories.

Great Expectations... Thank you old lady from Foyles,

Scimi

Huzaifah ibn Adam
09-19-2016, 09:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Scimitar
Personally, I love Dickens... I nod to his use of simple language and his delightfully fascinating stories.
Dickens was a master at writing, definitely. His "A Tale of Two Cities" was quite good.

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way - in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only." [A Tale of Two Cities.]

Little_Lion
09-19-2016, 09:43 PM
Oh, I forgot two of my favorite books of all: The Never Ending Story by Michael Ende, and Watership Down by Richard Adams.

Momo by Michael Ende is a great book too.

Scimitar
09-19-2016, 09:49 PM
Oh maaaaan, ya know - if it wasn't for Dickens, I'd not be confident in writing.

this is my story in brief related to my love of reading.

i was told I was dyslexic and had ADD/ADHD and to top this all off I'm left handed and I used to write English backwards from right to left with the letters facing the wrong way also - it was mirrored writing.

i was told I was the devil because of this and for many MANY years I felt inadequate and stupid and got into lots of fights because of this feeling of being rubbish and faulty.

after I got kicked out of college for the third time for fighting - I went to the west end and ended up in the UK's oldest and largest bookstore - foyles...

i was mosing around for hours, unable to pick a book - I just wNted to buy a book to read and prove to myself that I could read it, understand it and finish it... But I had no idea what I would like to read.

An assistant from foyles, an old lady, typically and traditionally English - rose petal print dress and all, offered me help.

"may I help you, young man?"

"I'm looking for a book" I replied

"anything in particular?" She asked

me in my ignorance, replied as follows :D

"a good book"

she nodded, and said "follow me"

she he took me to the Charles Dickens wall and gave me Great Expectations.

my love for the literary world had begun.

:love:

Scimi

Mustafa16
09-19-2016, 10:26 PM
I'd recommend either Little Women, The Giver, or Lord of the Flies.
Little Women is a coming-of-age story about 4 American sisters at around the time of the civil war (who were Northerners)
The Giver is about a dystopian society and a man who is entrusted with the memories of the past to advise people, and his student, and their lonliness knowing about true pain and pleasure, and Lord of the Flies is about a group of boys stranded on an island, who degenerate into savagery, and it is an allegorical novel....(although I'm not so sure about Lord of the Flies since it is rather violent....yes, forget that last one, unless you're up for it....)

Scimitar
09-19-2016, 10:31 PM
These are novels which waste time - i will recommend Sophie's World by Jostein Gaardner

least this way you'll learn your philosophers and their various logics whilst having a good time... Edutainment - not entertainment.

Scimi

Mustafa16
09-19-2016, 10:34 PM
Oh maaaaan, ya know - if it wasn't for Dickens, I'd not be confident in writing.

i was told I was dyslexic and had ADD/ADHD and to top this all off I'm left handed and I used to write English backwards from right to left with the letters facing the wrong way also - it was mirrored writing.

i was told I was the devil because of this and for many MANY years I felt inadequate and stupid and got into lots of fights because of this feeling of being rubbish and faulty.

after I got kicked out of college for the third time for fighting - I went to the west end and ended up in the UK's oldest and largest bookstore - foyles...

i was mosing around for hours, unable to pick a book - I just wNted to buy a book to read and prove to myself that I could read it, understand it and finish it... But I had no idea what I would like to read.

An assistant from foyles, an old lady, typically and traditionally English - rose petal print dress and all, offered me help.

"a good book"

Scimi
that's remarkable!! :)

Scimitar
09-19-2016, 10:40 PM
Nah, I became an editor for global b2b publications - that - was remarkable

wish my teachers could have seen me then

Scimi

darkbro
09-19-2016, 10:57 PM
You said non fiction..

Well honestly i love biographies. I read many biographies. If i have to mention randomly one book i have read, try Madame Mao, the White Boned Demon.

Snow
09-23-2016, 04:25 PM
Watership Down is an amazing book.
I've mostly been reading books in my native language, so I guess that doesn't help.
Err... The Greatest about Muhammad Ali is brilliant.
He was really honest in it.
Talking about how sleeping with a prostitute affected his performance in a boxing match hahaha.
Perfume by Suskind is pretty fun.

noraina
09-23-2016, 05:39 PM
Oooh, so many recommendations. :D I will try out each and every one inshaAllah. I'll post up my reviews too perhaps.

noraina
09-23-2016, 05:48 PM

"a good book"

Scimi
That was actually heart-warming to read Allahumma barik. :)

I was such a bookworm, ever since I was little. For some reason, I fell out of it for a couple of years and now I want to get back into reading.

I love the books by the Bronte sisters, and Jane Austen - Jane Eyre, Wuthering Heights, Pride and Prejudice, Sense and Sensibility.....

Charles Dickens is a wonderful writer, although I've only read Oliver Twist and the Great Gatsby.

Naima B. Roberts, love her! She Wore Red Trainers, From My Sister's Lips, Boy vs Girl - all of them amazing books.

The Autobiography of Malcolm X, a *must* read.

Snow
09-23-2016, 05:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by noraina
That was actually heart-warming to read Allahumma barik. :)

I was such a bookworm, ever since I was little. For some reason, I fell out of it for a couple of years and now I want to get back into reading.

I love the books by the Bronte sisters, and Jane Austen - Jane Eyre, Wuthering Heights, Pride and Prejudice, Sense and Sensibility.....

Charles Dickens is a wonderful writer, although I've only read Oliver Twist and the Great Gatsby.

Naima B. Roberts, love her! She Wore Red Trainers, From My Sister's Lips, Boy vs Girl - all of them amazing books.

The Autobiography of Malcolm X, a *must* read.
Since you like the 1800's British authors, you should try out some of the French ones.
Emile Zola, Maupassant... the latter one mostly did short stories, though.

noraina
09-23-2016, 06:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Snow
Since you like the 1800's British authors, you should try out some of the French ones.
Emile Zola, Maupassant... the latter one mostly did short stories, though.
Maupassant - I think I did one of his stories for my GCSEs, I think it was 'The Necklace'....I remember the heated debates about the central character.

And I just love the traditional, classic, pre-modern literature - it would be nice to read the French literature of that time as well.

Snow
09-23-2016, 06:18 PM
Maupassant - I think I did one of his stories for my GCSEs, I think it was 'The Necklace'....I remember the heated debates about the central character.

And I just love the traditional, classic, pre-modern literature - it would be nice to read the French literature of that time as well.
Lovely.
I had a period where I was a bit fanatical on reading mostly the late 1800s literature.
It had most likely something to do with my fascination with the case of Jack the Ripper.

If you are interested in trying out the French ones, L'Assammoir is available through Gutenberg for free.
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/8558

I've not read all of Zola's works, as he wrote a huge amount, but L'Assammoir is probably my favourite of his works.
Did you ever try The Count of Monte Cristo?
It is a really long book, so it can look intimidating. It is filled with adventure and action.

noraina
09-23-2016, 06:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Snow
Lovely.
I had a period where I was a bit fanatical on reading mostly the late 1800s literature.
It had most likely something to do with my fascination with the case of Jack the Ripper.

If you are interested in trying out the French ones, L'Assammoir is available through Gutenberg for free.
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/8558

I've not read all of Zola's works, as he wrote a huge amount, but L'Assammoir is probably my favourite of his works.
Did you ever try The Count of Monte Cristo?
It is a really long book, so it can look intimidating. It is filled with adventure and action.
I think the late 19th and early 20th centuries were the golden age in western literature - most of my favourite novels and writers are from that time. There was a charm to it which somehow got lost with time.

I haven't read the Count of Monte Cristo, although I've heard of it. I don't mind long books, lol, I've read some monsters and if the storyline is good I kind of don't want a book to ever end.

Speaking of long books, have you tried Middlemarch? It's a really brooding and complex storyline but so worth it.

Snow
09-23-2016, 07:00 PM
I think the late 19th and early 20th centuries were the golden age in western literature - most of my favourite novels and writers are from that time. There was a charm to it which somehow got lost with time.

I haven't read the Count of Monte Cristo, although I've heard of it. I don't mind long books, lol, I've read some monsters and if the storyline is good I kind of don't want a book to ever end.

Speaking of long books, have you tried Middlemarch? It's a really brooding and complex storyline but so worth it.
I've not read Middlemarch, I've been meaning to.
I did try to read Proust's In Search For Lost Time.
Never again hahaha. It had some beautiful descriptions that I do not regret reading.
I still own the book/books in my basement. Maybe I'll re-visit it when I don't have a job to attend

fhmn63
09-23-2016, 07:41 PM
Assalamu alaykum,

I just realised I've been starving myself of good reading materials, the last couple of years were so busy with A-levels. With university and other things starting I won't get as much time to read, but I'm looking for something that'll make a good read now and then.

Do you have any recommendations? I don't mind fiction nor non-fiction, and any genre is good. I like the old British classics, and crime thrillers, and romantic novels if they're readable. Anything really.

I've heard a lot of things about the Time Traveller's Wife, is it that good?
This One is a good Read -

A Romantic Novel with an Islamic Touch
51rlwZILzdL SX298 BO1204203200 jpgresize 1?resize3002c499 -

Other Good Novels For Young Muslim Readers :http://islamhashtag.com/islamic-novels-for-young-teens/

noraina
09-23-2016, 08:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by fhmn63
This One is a good Read -

A Romantic Novel with an Islamic Touch
51rlwZILzdL SX298 BO1204203200 jpgresize 1?resize3002c499 -

Other Good Novels For Young Muslim Readers :http://islamhashtag.com/islamic-novels-for-young-teens/
I've never heard of that, it sounds sweet.

Ma'sha'Allah, Islamic fiction has been gaining a foothold, I'm seeing more and more writers which I'm loving.

LaSorcia
09-23-2016, 08:50 PM
These are novels which waste time - i will recommend Sophie's World by Jostein Gaardner

least this way you'll learn your philosophers and their various logics whilst having a good time... Edutainment - not entertainment.

Scimi
Did you read the sequel? A Solitaire mystery. These two are AWESOME books. There is some zina reference at the end of Sophie's World, just to be aware.

I LOVE this thread. I hope I never have to stop reading.

David Copperfield is a great story as well (by Dickens), that will keep you occupied for days or weeks depending on how fast you read.

Another great epic tale in the vein of DC is The Quincunx by Charles Pallisner.

Also, Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke.

I could write a book on books to read, but you got enough ideas in this thread to see you into grad school lol.

noraina
09-28-2016, 05:09 PM
Anyone read to Kill a Mocking Bird or Wuthering Heights? Supposing the Brits here would have read some of the classics for school, not sure what's studied for English Lit. elsewhere in the world.

*Love* these books, studying them as much as you do during school really captures their meaning.

Little_Lion
09-28-2016, 08:47 PM
To Kill a Mockingbird was one of my husband's favorite books. As a matter of fact his dog is named Atticus.

(I'd post a picture of him because he is cute and fuzzy but it is a no-no.)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.