/* */

PDA

View Full Version : How to become a better Muslim in the face of ignorance told about Islam?

Serinity
09-21-2016, 09:35 AM
:salam:

I had class, and we went over history and when it came to Islam, he told lies etc.

I was very frustrated, and appalled at the ignorance of the teacher. How do I control my anger when this happens? (I do not show my anger)

I am impulsive. I know, a Muslim shouldn't be, etc. And now he talks about how he will have class on "Islam". While he is completely ignorant. I can sense where this is going. he talks about Islamists etc.

I know this is a test from Allah :swt: , and I hate to be silent with such display of ignorance.

Any advice? I think making the duas The Prophet Musa :as: did would be suitable in this situation and put in my efforts?

And Allah :swt: knows best.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Bosanac
09-21-2016, 10:43 AM
Forewarning: I don't know if I am in any position to give advice like this as I myself can get temperamental in these scenarios, but learn from my mistakes I guess ;D

Try and stay calm and composed during any incident. Usually these individuals are seeking people like you to argue with them. Be calm but firm. If they make any allegations you don't agree with or are skeptical of politely ask them for their sources. Perhaps they genuinely are mistaken and don't realize their sources are weak. Maybe there IS some truth in what they say but are looking at it from a wrong perspecitive. When they give you their sources don't necessary argue back further and risk things escalating. Just write down what they say, look up the things they said and then next class perhaps (maybe in private or in front of class, use your judgement) ask them about it. Ask if you can ask some follow up questions regarding issues from last class, something like that. I'm sure everyone will appreciate the civility. No need for malice.

talibilm
09-21-2016, 10:48 AM
:sl:

You should note his mistakes and inform then in seclusion and quote that hadith which says adding a lie to hadith is to hell fire. but this should be done polietely in seclusion.

Serinity
09-21-2016, 11:05 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by talibilm
:sl:

You should note his mistakes and inform then in seclusion and quote that hadith which says adding a lie to hadith is to hell fire. but this should be done polietely in seclusion.
he is a disbeliever, so he most likely doesn't care about hadiths. But he did say some wrong information. a lot actually.

I don't feel ignorance is any excuse when it comes to stuff like this.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
noraina
09-21-2016, 11:57 AM
Wa alaykum assalam,

It is a difficult situation, I once attended a class to help with my religious studies revision - and there were some blatant lies about Islam in both the exercise books and said by the teacher.

I'm a quiet person, and I'm not impulsive at all, but if there was something really horribly ignorant I did raise my hand a couple of times to point it out. Didn't exactly make me popular lol, but it was only a one-day class - I suppose it would be more difficult if it is a regular lesson.

I understand though, it is incredibly frustrating. To be honest, trying to explain it to a teacher might not have much effect - they assume they know the subject well and the students are there to just 'listen'. Perhaps you could speak to them afterwards, or if anyone asks you personally just tell them the truth as it is?

Allahu al'am.

Serinity
09-21-2016, 12:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by noraina
Wa alaykum assalam,

It is a difficult situation, I once attended a class to help with my religious studies revision - and there were some blatant lies about Islam in both the exercise books and said by the teacher.

I'm a quiet person, and I'm not impulsive at all, but if there was something really horribly ignorant I did raise my hand a couple of times to point it out. Didn't exactly make me popular lol, but it was only a one-day class - I suppose it would be more difficult if it is a regular lesson.

I understand though, it is incredibly frustrating. To be honest, trying to explain it to a teacher might not have much effect - they assume they know the subject well and the students are there to just 'listen'. Perhaps you could speak to them afterwards, or if anyone asks you personally just tell them the truth as it is?

Allahu al'am.
I would never lie about Islam, if anyone told me about my religion. I'd straight up tell them I am Muslim, and believe in Allah, etc. To avoid confusion. But if none asks me, I don't tell them.

I am a rather "introvert-impulsive" I don't show my anger, when something angers me.

Not a healthy combination.

I hate my introvertness. I have to get over the shyness. I may not act very introvert here. One could call me a "introvert-Outrovert" combo lol.

I usually just let it pass, but I can't let it pass if it is about my religion, right?

I think I will just say it to him in private....... I hate it when people speak about stuff they have no knowledge about.

The misinformation seems soo deliberate and biased.........

greenhill
09-21-2016, 03:15 PM
I would put up my hand and say.

'I am a Muslim and I have been quiet when you have said many untruths. Although in a minority here, (in classroom) I think it is rather lame we should hear something about Islam from someone who does not believe without getting an input from someone who does (you).

But note what are his lying theme? Then you could understand a bit his issues.

The problem is I don't think I would be able to ignore it. I would most likely engage and once engaged, would maintain sensibility. No need to get agitated. Better if we keep it real cool.

:peace:

Serinity
09-21-2016, 03:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by greenhill
I would put up my hand and say.

'I am a Muslim and I have been quiet when you have said many untruths. Although in a minority here, (in classroom) I think it is rather lame we should hear something about Islam from someone who does not believe without getting an input from someone who does (you).

But note what are his lying theme? Then you could understand a bit his issues.

The problem is I don't think I would be able to ignore it. I would most likely engage and once engaged, would maintain sensibility. No need to get agitated. Better if we keep it real cool.

he makes it sound like The Prophet :saw: just decided to.......... Without any proper study.

What can I do to avoid any awkward moments / embarrassing moments? I am not very knowledgable about Islam. but I do know roughly of the Life of the Prophet Muhammad :saw:

talibilm
09-21-2016, 03:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Serinity
he is a disbeliever, so he most likely doesn't care about hadiths. But he did say some wrong information. a lot actually.

I don't feel ignorance is any excuse when it comes to stuff like this.
If he is a disbeliever than there is NO NEED for private intimation you can just put up your hands AT LAST after noting all his wrong points and Bash it together saying something like

'' Sir, I am a Devout Muslim and I' ve been studying Islam profoundly from the experts so I would like to point some errors or difference of Opinions in your lecture here and list them 1) 2) 3) ''

Make it a sportive correction with a gentle smile and diplomacy. And soon you will become a Centre for Dawah, Inshallah you may end up converting somebody inshallah.

Even I did that when i was about 15-16 years i think .

czgibson
09-21-2016, 03:58 PM
Greetings,

I had class, and we went over history and when it came to Islam, he told lies etc.
What did he say that was untrue? Can you prove him wrong?

A teacher should be able to recognise that there are often several views on any particular issue. One thing you could do is have a chat with him about it in private. If that doesn't work, speak to your head of year or your tutor (if your school has those positions).

Peace

Serinity
09-21-2016, 04:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by czgibson
Greetings,

What did he say that was untrue? Can you prove him wrong?

A teacher should be able to recognise that there are often several views on any particular issue. One thing you could do is have a chat with him about it in private. If that doesn't work, speak to your head of year or your tutor (if your school has those positions).

Peace
he said that he "saw" or "met" God in the Cave, and that The Prophet :saw: "wrote" down the Qur'an, when in fact, it was revealed to him :saw: orally, so he could recite it.

The Prophet :saw: met Jibreel :as: who commanded him to recite the Qur'an. Jibreel :as: got the knowledge of the Qur'aan from Allah :swt: .

It sounded just way too biased coming from his mouth.

talibilm
09-21-2016, 04:11 PM
he makes it sound like The Prophet :saw: just decided to.......... Without any proper study.

What can I do to avoid any awkward moments / embarrassing moments? I am not very knowledgable about Islam. but I do know roughly of the Life of the Prophet Muhammad :saw:
You can discuss it here how to find an appropriate reply to his twisted allegations. You can say him that you will discuss with the knowledgeable and let him know ,Insha Allah

Serinity
09-21-2016, 04:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by talibilm
You can discuss it here how to find an appropriate reply to his twisted allegations. You can say him that you will discuss with the knowledgeable and let him know ,Insha Allah
he said that The Prophet :saw: talked to Allah.. Like literally talked. Which is not true.

The most apprehensible thing he said was that The Prophet :saw: "wrote" the Qur'an, when in fact, The Prophet :saw: was illiterate, not able to read or write. And it is impossible for the Prophet :saw: to have written it.

greenhill
09-21-2016, 04:53 PM
The 'deen' is a way of life sent by The Creator.

So....

You are either "In" or "Out". In if you believe and out if you don't. How do you benefit from heaven if you never strived for it? How can you talk about heaven if it is not the place you desire to be?

The choice of deen should be based on reasonable intellect. Your reason to believe. The story I know fits. It fits in every dimension. Whether 'signs' or 'science', miracles that defy science. Historical and consistency and codes and linguistics.

And the Quran, via the prophet, Muhammad s.a.w. reminds us of the 5 pillars of Islam and the 6 Articles of Faith. It also tells us to be charitable, forgiving, truthful, honourable, to protect the weak, humble and moderate.

That is essentially Islam.

What he is talking about tantamounts to listening to hearsay and concluded upon discussions amongst hearsayers. Drawing conclusion based on gossips.

Ask him back, "How is that educational?"

greenhill
09-21-2016, 05:18 PM
I'd like to add.. (as the post above was kind of off the cuff)...

it starts with our intention (why we do anything at all) and having patience during adversities.

That people who believe in Islam still benefit from the world. We sleep, eat, laugh and all. But in understanding the message we learned to use our time on earth for a more eternal reward.

But you (the teacher) won't understand as there is no hereafter for you. . (no, not so nice.)

But still I can still have my fun on earth without alcohol or freesex. Is that even terrible. ? . ?

talibilm
09-21-2016, 05:25 PM
he said that The Prophet :saw: talked to Allah.. Like literally talked. Which is not true.

The most apprehensible thing he said was that The Prophet :saw: "wrote" the Qur'an, when in fact, The Prophet :saw: was illiterate, not able to read or write. And it is impossible for the Prophet :saw: to have written it.
Yes, his claims are absurd. The word '' unlettered '' is seen even in the Noble Quran in a few verses.

czgibson
09-21-2016, 11:09 PM
Greetings Serinity,

[I think the word you want there is 'reprehensible' meaning "deserving condemnation", not 'apprehensible', which means "easily understood". Please forgive me, I'm a teacher. :) ]

A history teacher ought to know that the Qur'an was written down by Muhammad's (pbuh) followers and that he himself was illiterate. This is the type of thing that should be part of people's common knowledge about Islam, but which sadly isn't in a lot of cases.

I don't think you should judge him too harshly on this alone, though. It probably was genuine ignorance, and he doesn't sound like he was attacking Islam as a whole with this comment. Unless there are some other things he said which make you think he was?

Peace

mjyschlink
09-21-2016, 11:29 PM
Ignorance is definitely not bliss...please calmly and humbly dispell ignorance with truth. Everyone needs to.

Zafran
09-21-2016, 11:41 PM

Non of these are offensive - The prophet pbuh did go to the highest heaven. The other mistake is a minor one and a lot of people have no idea that the prophet Muhammad pbuh was illiterate and didn't write the Quran but recited and dicated it to Ziad ibn Thabit(ra) who wrote the Quran down.

If you want offensive - In school we learnt about islam and then watched "East is East" for practical assessment - we learnt about Christianity and watched the vicar of dibely.

talibilm
09-21-2016, 11:46 PM

Moses A.S literally spoke to Allah but did not see http://legacy.quran.com/7/143 and Prophet :saws: spoke to Allah literally BUT BEHIND THE Veil of Nur ONLY ONCE in Mihraj is the consensus .
Bro @huzaifa bin adam

http://legacy.quran.com/7/157

'' Those who follow the Messenger, the unlettered prophet, whom they find written in what they have of the Torah and the Gospel, ...............''

& 7:158 & 62:2

Bosanac
09-22-2016, 08:20 AM
he said that he "saw" or "met" God in the Cave, and that The Prophet :saw: "wrote" down the Qur'an, when in fact, it was revealed to him :saw: orally, so he could recite it.

The Prophet :saw: met Jibreel :as: who commanded him to recite the Qur'an. Jibreel :as: got the knowledge of the Qur'aan from Allah :swt: .

It sounded just way too biased coming from his mouth.
I know you said earlier that he says a bunch of things that rub you the wrong way and the way he says them, but just based on this example here it doesn't sound like he said anything maliciously anti islam. Sounds like he just doesn't know the story from the muslim perspective. ;)

Was he covering content that is part of the course material that everyone needs to learn, or was it just an off topic tangent a class discussion went into it? If it was just an off topic discussion I would suggest either ignoring it or approaching him after class and, light heartedly and in a conversational tone point out what he said was "slightly" off.

If it was part of the course content, then I would reccomend doing exact same thing, only add that you're confused why his version of the story is being taught.

eesa the kiwi
09-22-2016, 08:40 AM
maybe it is unintentional, a lot of non muslims just blindly swallow whatever they are told about islam, you have no idea how much trouble ive had with family and others believing stereotypes when i became a muslim. i get annoyed because its like they'd rathner believe fox news over their own son

my advice would be to meet him privately and advise him, wait till after class and the be like "excuse me Mr funkypants (or whatever his name is) i am a muslim and some of the things you taught about islam were incorrect, such as Rasululah sallaho alayhi wa sallam did not Allah in the cave of hira rather it was the angel gabriel alayhis salam

give him the benefit of the doubt, if you meet with him and he is a douche then fine but he may simply be ignorant. so much proaganda is out there about islam its actually a surprise non muslims dont view us even worse than what they do

kritikvernunft
09-30-2016, 06:00 AM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipe...ginal_research
The verifiability policy says that an inline citation to a reliable source must be provided for all quotations, and for anything challenged or likely to be challenged—but a source must exist even for material that is never challenged.

What your teacher is doing, is not history. It is easy to turn a class that should supposedly be in history, into anti-history. Same for math and science. What they are doing, is usually anti-math and anti-science. This is done on purpose. They want to abuse the credibility of the real thing to make you swallow questionable ideological views meant to make you accept the legitimacy of a pagan State. At a State school, you learn to accept the content of the textbook as the unchallenged truth, so that they can increasingly feed you textbooks that advocate the very opposite of the truth. Still, it is a good exercise, because it allows you to learn how to reconstruct the truth from their lies in real time. The news media are also like that. They teach you how to extract the real facts from their untruth. You already knew that you should not believe the pagans. Hence, where is the problem?

anatolian
09-30-2016, 06:07 AM
Ignore the ignorance..this is the cure of happiness

M.I.A.
09-30-2016, 12:15 PM
...do you have sound recorder on your phone?

if he does it again.. just put your sound recorder on and go place the phone near him..

let him know first.

...i dont know how old you are but in university this is standard practise.

i just realised its 2016..

maybe you could just video the guy.

if he asks why your videoing him.. say its so you can show your parents.

...maybe you should just talk to your parents about it..

dont be a terrorist!

Scimitar
10-01-2016, 02:43 AM
It's easier to be a better Muslim in the face of ignorance... it's when the standard of Muslims is better than it is now, is when you need to worry how to be "better".

We got it easy, right now.

Shift perspective - and you'll see I'm right.

Scimi

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.