/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Government by slaves is preferable

kritikvernunft
09-22-2016, 06:29 AM
The Ottoman and Mamluk empires were ruled by slaves. The Sultan was the son of the previous sultan and one of his slave girls. This was also true for the previous Sultan. It was not permissible for the Sultan to marry a free woman, whose family would then become too elevated in the empire. He was supposed to sire children with slave girls only, specifically purchased for this purpose.

The members of his government, i.e. the Grand Vizier and his viziers (=ministers), all had to be purchased as slaves and then trained for their jobs. The same was true for his generals. Only slaves could rule. Every policeman had to be a slave who had been auctioned to the highest bidder.

The children of these State-owned slaves, however, were born free. Hence, they could not be enslaved to the Sultan, or rule on his behalf. For example, the son of a vizier (=minister) could not become a vizier, if only, because the father-vizier was not allowed to purchase his own son on behalf of the State.

Even though I believe that the National State is a detestable entity, the existence of foreign National States prevents us from truly solving the problem. Without a National State, these other National States would try to conquer and annex us. That is not a good idea. In those circumstances, the answer to these foreign States, is: You cannot be our government, because we already have a government, and that is not you.

Since the existence of foreign National States forces us to have one too, we should pick the least detestable solution for that. It will still not be perfect, but I believe that I will be able to suffer it. That is why I endorse the Ottoman and Mamluk solution: Only slaves, specifically purchased for that purpose by the State, may be allowed to govern. If the ulema/clergy acquire a slave, who has been auctioned to the highest bidder, and train him to be the next Sultan, I am willing to recognize him as the leader of the believers. If the Sultan sires a son with a slave girl that he specifically purchased for this purpose, I will also recognize his son as the next leader of the believers.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.